Options

🖥️🎮 - Kingdom Rush Vengeance, Aquanox & Crown Trick out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Going Under is REALLY cool.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Okay gotten to the first boss of Spelunky three times now, died once soft locked twice, okay pretty cool nice "more soft locking please" is definitely something I often thought while playing Spelunky definitely yes thank you again please thank you okay

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Okay gotten to the first boss of Spelunky three times now, died once soft locked twice, okay pretty cool nice "more soft locking please" is definitely something I often thought while playing Spelunky definitely yes thank you again please thank you okay

soft locking? git gud noob

• Options
    This game is probably unhealthy for me I could shit bees I could take big bites of my hands

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    This game is probably unhealthy for me I could shit bees I could take big bites of my hands

You should see a doctor if you do either of those things

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Thanks professor!!!

• Options

do you like souls
    do you like darkness
    do you like ... dodge-rolling

• Options
    tarnishing of juxtia is.... maybe not the best name

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That trailer mainly made me appreciate Blasphemous even more

• Options
    Juxia is an extinct genus of indricothere, a group of herbivorous mammals that are part of the odd-toed ungulate family tree of rhinoceros and tapirs. The type species is Juxia sharamurenense, named by Chow and Chiu in 1964. Juxia was around the size of a horse. It lived in Asia during the upper Eocene.

Far out

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Heads up everyone, if you plan on buying dead cells anytime soon DO NOT get it on any console. Get it on the glorious PC.

There are frame rate issues across all consoles (including the XBOX ONE X and PS4 PRO) and the dev response is:

Yeah we didn't design the garbage collector (the part of the engine that reclaims memory already used by the game, to render new parts of the game ) to handle everything we added in. The game is working as designed. This frame rate stuff isn't a bug. We just didn't expect to be adding all this extra stuff to the game. We'll try to fix it?

That's what you want in your rogue like action platformer. Frame rate issues.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Cleaning up your memory, pshaw.

malloc forever, free never

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Cleaning up your memory, pshaw.

malloc forever, free never

I just call the destructor on a random object every frame.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    VtM Night Road does a thing I really like in stories, which is having an odd personal tic or obsession of the author come through in a way that adds grit and texture to the world

I feel like you rarely get this in video games, or more accurately, games are obviously full of the developers' obsessions and tics but they are rarely odd or interesting (oh wow game dude you like anime titties? no wayyyyy)

in this particular case, every time you obtain a new outfit in the game it devotes at least a couple sentences to the very specific and obscure brand of wristwatch that goes with it (in a game set in the present!), and it's so hyperfocused i can't imagine it's a detail that just slipped in by accident

I like the idea that as a Vampire courier one would be extremely preoccupied with the time that the sun is going to come up

And wristwatches make sense if you have to constantly ditch cellphones cause the Inquisition's on your trail. That's an interesting element, btw. I had kind of thought it was there to explain the past 20 years of backstory changes in V5, but this game makes it seem like it's a much more present, constantly-happening thing that PCs have to be constantly mindful of. Is that just a choice made for this game or is it the new normal?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8af8rRRAjDU
    13 May 1985: Today is my BIRTHDAY!!! Mum gave me the best present ever! a Commander 85 – a super modern computer with real artificial intelligence! It’s very smart, and I can talk to it and play games on it. I can’t wait till the other boys see it! 20200930
    Commander 85 (cold war, sci-fi, narrative, simulation, mystery)

I'm going to keep an eye on this one. It looks like it could be either really interesting or just a trainwreck. I'll let someone else be the canary in a coal mine on it but I'm up for what it's theoretically doing.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Heads up everyone, if you plan on buying dead cells anytime soon DO NOT get it on any console. Get it on the glorious PC.

There are frame rate issues across all consoles (including the XBOX ONE X and PS4 PRO) and the dev response is:

Yeah we didn't design the garbage collector (the part of the engine that reclaims memory already used by the game, to render new parts of the game ) to handle everything we added in. The game is working as designed. This frame rate stuff isn't a bug. We just didn't expect to be adding all this extra stuff to the game. We'll try to fix it?

This is kind of what they said, but not really

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadcells/comments/iycxyd/if_you_have_any_issues_with_console_performance/

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    VtM Night Road does a thing I really like in stories, which is having an odd personal tic or obsession of the author come through in a way that adds grit and texture to the world

I feel like you rarely get this in video games, or more accurately, games are obviously full of the developers' obsessions and tics but they are rarely odd or interesting (oh wow game dude you like anime titties? no wayyyyy)

in this particular case, every time you obtain a new outfit in the game it devotes at least a couple sentences to the very specific and obscure brand of wristwatch that goes with it (in a game set in the present!), and it's so hyperfocused i can't imagine it's a detail that just slipped in by accident

I like the idea that as a Vampire courier one would be extremely preoccupied with the time that the sun is going to come up

And wristwatches make sense if you have to constantly ditch cellphones cause the Inquisition's on your trail. That's an interesting element, btw. I had kind of thought it was there to explain the past 20 years of backstory changes in V5, but this game makes it seem like it's a much more present, constantly-happening thing that PCs have to be constantly mindful of. Is that just a choice made for this game or is it the new normal?

The Second Inquisition is a big concern for Vampires and the Camarilla has been pretty hardcore on ditch traceable electronic devices (partially because a lot of older vampires hated them anyway).

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

It's city dependent (which is how they justify any given story not including them) but yeah, it's kind of the new normal. One thing they do well in Night Road is the fact that there's no such thing as the "Second Inquisition", there's the FBI, the NSA, roving vampire hunter biker gangs etc etc all working with or against each other and with varying degrees of lethality.

The Fall Of London book (while overall being kind of weak) is a pretty good introduction to hunters in V5 and deals well with the dawning horror as the vampires of London realise that they are 100%, irretrievably fucked.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    cursedking wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

This is kind of what they said, but not really

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadcells/comments/iycxyd/if_you_have_any_issues_with_console_performance/

I've got it on XBOX One. The frame rate issues are way more pronounced than they are admitting.

The garbage collector isn't "doing its job". It's not coping.

EDIT: I get stuttering right after picking up your starting equipment.

Karl on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    DRAKE HOLLOW is actually kind of fun. It's a mix of Tower Defense and Base Building. Booting it up it is not hard to get GROUNDED vibes, but this definitely seems like its own thing (with an actual campaign to boot) as after a slightly slow start the game starts tossing systems your way.

. . .I will agree that not everything is explained outright, but if you have ANY kind of experience with these kinds of games (or are just curious) it doesn't take long to suss out what is going on under the hood.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    I was vaguely aware that the White Wolf universe like came to a head with a big apocalypse deal, was that retconned or was stuff reset or am I totally incorrect

• Options
    I was vaguely aware that the White Wolf universe like came to a head with a big apocalypse deal, was that retconned or was stuff reset or am I totally incorrect

They retconned it, essentially. A book came out with five different apocalypse scenarios that you could pick from and then they relaunched the line. No one bought the relaunch (it apparently got really good with the 2nd editions, but the first editions were piss weak) and a couple of years ago they released a new edition that took the approach that some of the apocalypse stuff happens but we're all just kind of living through it rather than it being a single event that kills everyone.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

They retconned it, essentially. A book came out with five different apocalypse scenarios that you could pick from and then they relaunched the line. No one bought the relaunch (it apparently got really good with the 2nd editions, but the first editions were piss weak) and a couple of years ago they released a new edition that took the approach that some of the apocalypse stuff happens but we're all just kind of living through it rather than it being a single event that kills everyone.

Yeah but what was in the new edition

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Yeah but what was in the new edition

A bunch of stuff nobody asked for.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    weird crypto-fascism and an international incident

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    SE++ BATTLETECH
    Illiushin system

Our stay at Brockway fucked us, and no mistake. We're low on everything needed to run a successful mercenary company: mechs, pilots, and (most importantly) cash.

Whatever we do here will have to be without the Enforcer and the Wolverine, both of which won't be repaired in time to take the field. This means our lance will be reliant on the Vindicator to carry much of the team load; as such, we've stripped it of short-range weapons and dropped in a bigger LRM system. It's now a long range fire support mech, capable of taking high ground and dropping molten fire anywhere on the field. As the key component of our plan to rebuild our way out of the hole we find ourselves in, we've christened it with the moniker @Munkus Beaver. It sort of works. With the Firestarter able to stomp the middle, and the speedy Jenner and Assassin able to flank with their enhanced speed, we've got something approaching a strategy.

The pilot problem is more easily solved, thanks to the abundance of high-mortality replaceable meat willing Mechwarriors. We add @Jacobkosh to the roster, an experienced Mechwarrior with a few skills, and pick up a local overeager rookie named @Peas who swears he knows how to pilot a mech and isn't just some farm boy who doesn't know the difference between the emergency reactor power startup sequence lever and the ejector seat controls. We'll see.

However, with such a large roster of pilots and very few savings, we'll be looking to either earn some cash or otherwise reduce costs™ here in the Illiushin system, or else we risk needing to sell the Wolverine before we even finish equipping it just to make salary.

Fortunately there's an active pirate presence on Illiushin, who are indifferent towards our recent (lack of) success and more than willing to pay our rates to enhance their position on the planet. First up, they have a comms facility beaming propaganda out across the system. That's right, throw out the Dad-rock and tune in to the seditious counter-culture, we're here to stop The Man from shutting down a pirate radio station. ACAB, baby.

Naturally, the Man starts by rolling up in their militarized police state APCs, blissfully unaware the station was now protected by 150 tons of metal death robots. This goes about as well for them as might be expected.
    Hunwl9xh.jpg
    Rock the Casbah, rock the Casbah

Facing resistance, the authorities did what all authorities do as they feel their control slipping, and engaged in an honest and open dialogue where they listened to the concerns of the people and gave credence to their points of view. @Jacobkosh used the platform to give air to a free and frank exchange of ideas for a more equitable distribution of resources.
    3Of8Yxrh.jpg
    Fuck you I won't do what you tell me

The authorities weren't entirely convinced by the argument, and so @3clipse went up to the final state-sanctioned oppressormech, put his arm around its shoulder, and ripped out its spine.
    WK9WkoNh.jpg
    The revolution will not go better with Coke

Well flushed with success from that particular contract, we took several more jobs frm the local syndicates, patrolling through disputed territory and protecting valuable assets. Along the way we encountered a number of interesting items that we hoped to acquire, including managing to salvage a Panther, a nice little skirmisher Mech that will go into storage until we can find some more room for it.
    uQqMTORh.jpg
    @Jacobkosh pictured here attempting to delicately remove the hard outer shell of a Scorpion to get at the tasty UAC-5 inside, a move we call the '@Veldrin'.

EdORMvph.jpg
    @Jacobkosh that's not how we... uh... okay, nevermind.

Anyway, so far Illiushin has been a nice little tour where we've managed to regain some ground and get ourselves back on our feet. There's still a few more parts of the planet to see, but I'm sure nothing else will go wrong and there will be absolutely no reprisal from the local authorities for our involvement in local current affairs.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    weird crypto-fascism and an international incident

Yeah, I can see why that's not the best brand of fantastic escapism right now.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    The international incident was in a different book!

• Options
    Paradox ended up kicking their creative director into a shitcan pretty quickly after that. He’s the guy that made great decisions like farming out an IF game to Zak S.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    The 5th edition status quo is pretty rad I think. The Sabbat pretty much don't exist anymore and the conflict stems largely from the Camarilla vs Anarchs or vampires against various vampire hunters that are out and about currently. A lot of the older vampires have gotten up and left due to the mysterious "calling," so vampire society is in a big state of flux as new power players are taking over positions elders have been squatting in for generations.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I can barely even believe that it sounds like Unsung Story is going to get its first chapter released soon in early access

It was originally kickstarted by Playdek, who does mobile versions of board and card games primarily I think

They sort of abandoned it to focus on other projects, totally cancelled it, and then after nearly a year just out of the blue announced that Little Orbit was going to be developing it going forward

It's astonishing that it exists at all

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Paradox ended up kicking their creative director into a shitcan pretty quickly after that. He’s the guy that made great decisions like farming out an IF game to Zak S.

I trust Modiphius to not be complete weirdo edgelords, at least.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Any other open ended Merc games (genre agnostic) where you Merc around, renaming your normal, unnamed recruits for shiggles, taking jobs, getting paid, that sorta thing? I don't think my machine can handle Battletech.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Star Wars: Squadrons is out! My gut reaction is that it feels like dogshit to play on KB+M

I'm going to do some heavy messing around with my controls, but it feels a lot like the aerial bits of Battlefront II, which is to say, super shitty. It looks great, runs well, and I like what the story is doing as far as the prologue, but it feels super slippery and I really do not like the in-ship display off the bat.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The aerial bits of Battlefront II were extremely fun.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

Did you use the default control scheme? I genuinely feel like it's more on that for me than the actual game itself; I never took the time with BFII to actually dig in and optimize them. The benchmark for all space flight games for me is Elite: Dangerous, which I'm very used to, and having the basic controls be different (lateral movement on A/D in Elite vs. roll on A/D in Squadrons) is really fucking with me. But even then, aiming with a mouse just felt like hell during the prologue. In both cases, it ends up feeling like a game I should be playing with a controller, which I'm not into at all

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    noone will ever rip off War Thunder's amazing kb+m flight model and it makes me sad.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »

Did you use the default control scheme? I genuinely feel like it's more on that for me than the actual game itself; I never took the time with BFII to actually dig in and optimize them. The benchmark for all space flight games for me is Elite: Dangerous, which I'm very used to, and having the basic controls be different (lateral movement on A/D in Elite vs. roll on A/D in Squadrons) is really fucking with me. But even then, aiming with a mouse just felt like hell during the prologue. In both cases, it ends up feeling like a game I should be playing with a controller, which I'm not into at all

Well, I played it with a controller on a PS4. And it was/is a ton of fun playing it like that. Everything felt smooth and I was doing well in multiplayer matches right from the start - it was easily the best part of Battlefront II for me.

I was planning to pick Squadrons up for Playstation as well since 4k on the tv beats 1440p on my pc, so this bodes well for me hopefully. I'm sorry it's not so great for you though.

This discussion has been closed.