As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    @jdarksun
    I'm watching a streamer right now who has a Y-Wing loadout specifically to take out bombers. He uses Ion lasers to disable and then launches a proton torpedo (lol) to basically instakill them. Its surprisingly effective.

That being said, TIE Bombers have too much health in general and need to be tuned. That we have to specifically loadout to counter them and not do the same for Y-Wings says something.

Is there a reason why he runs it on the Y-Wing instead of the X-wing? I'm pretty sure they can run Ions and Proton Torpedoes too.

Y-wings are cooler?

I was more wondering along the lines of whether they were making their own bulky build to deal with bombers, or was this a happy discovery from their own anti-capital preferences, or what?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    @jdarksun
    I'm watching a streamer right now who has a Y-Wing loadout specifically to take out bombers. He uses Ion lasers to disable and then launches a proton torpedo (lol) to basically instakill them. Its surprisingly effective.

That being said, TIE Bombers have too much health in general and need to be tuned. That we have to specifically loadout to counter them and not do the same for Y-Wings says something.

Is there a reason why he runs it on the Y-Wing instead of the X-wing? I'm pretty sure they can run Ions and Proton Torpedoes too.

Because it's dull, you twit, it'll hurt more!
    ... er, that is, I imagine it's even more humiliating. To be taken out by a Y-wing, oh the shame of it.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    @jdarksun

Y-wings are cooler?

I was more wondering along the lines of whether they were making their own bulky build to deal with bombers, or was this a happy discovery from their own anti-capital preferences, or what?

I bet the y wing does more DPS. You don't get a real advantage from maneuverability when fighting bombers.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Yeah tie bombers annoy me. As an A-wing shooting with regular blasters fully overcharged a Tie Bomber with that 60% addtional health hull or whatever is still left with like 40% health. Thank god tie bombers can't use the self-repair tool.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I feel bad for bombers, in a A-Wing they just can’t shake you, unless it's Yavin...then that is a lot rougher.

Overcharging the standard lasers, you can kill a 4000hp bomber without need the need to recharge lasers, and usually they are too slow to move out of targeting.

What kills me the most with bombers in the unstable engines or sometimes mines if they proc when I’m right on their ass.

Dixon on
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Tie bombers are the noob killer imho. I can't figure out how to do shit in a y-wing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    My x52 arrived today.

I don't know if it actually helps, but it feels amazing.

I don't know if all joysticks are like this, but the middle of the x52 feels kinda floaty, which makes precise stuff with it feel kinda bad. I might just need to learn how to properly deadzone it or something, I don't really know much about how to properly configure a joystick.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I have come to the sad conclusion that I'm terrible at this game, and need to set the difficulty down to the easiest level.

Between the way that the main character is a non-character and my own limitations as a gamer, I'm not enjoying this game nearly as much as I'd like to.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    My x52 arrived today.

I don't know if all joysticks are like this, but the middle of the x52 feels kinda floaty, which makes precise stuff with it feel kinda bad. I might just need to learn how to properly deadzone it or something, I don't really know much about how to properly configure a joystick.

In Squadrons specifically unless you fix it with software like Joystick Gremlin any stick will have a giant deadzone in the middle.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    My x52 arrived today.

In Squadrons specifically unless you fix it with software like Joystick Gremlin any stick will have a giant deadzone in the middle.

I'm hoping the patch tomorrow fixes this among some other stuff

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I bought a joystick almost a decade ago when I first backed Star Citizen, and then discovered that I disliked both joysticks and space sims.

Gimme a controller and arcadey mechanics any day.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I bought a joystick almost a decade ago when I first backed Star Citizen, and then discovered that I disliked both joysticks and space sims.

Gimme a controller and arcadey mechanics any day.

I kind of feel like using Elite's FA-on model, at least for controller, would have been a bit truer to the movies and feel of "starfighters that have to bank their turns", even if less "proper sim-y". That way you get one stick (L) for pitch, minor yaw (no roll) and major yaw (with roll, aka a bank turn) and the other stick does your directional thrusters etc.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I feel bad for bombers, in a A-Wing they just can’t shake you, unless it's Yavin...then that is a lot rougher.

Overcharging the standard lasers, you can kill a 4000hp bomber without need the need to recharge lasers, and usually they are too slow to move out of targeting.

What kills me the most with bombers in the unstable engines or sometimes mines if they proc when I’m right on their ass.
    They don't concern me at all in a dogfight, it's taking them out before they wreck the capital ships that bug me.

Gonna hop on and give Ion + Torp a try though.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    jdarksun

Y-wings are cooler?

I bet the y wing does more DPS. You don't get a real advantage from maneuverability when fighting bombers.
    The Y-Wing does, indeed, do more damage with the ion cannon primary. I'm not sure if it's necessary though.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Faced off against some people doing the TIE Bomber Leech strat, it was... unusual.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

They don't concern me at all in a dogfight, it's taking them out before they wreck the capital ships that bug me.

Gonna hop on and give Ion + Torp a try though.

Ahhh sorry, yeah I didn’t realize you were talking about fleet battles. I haven’t really done much of those but yeah they’ll get the heavy Payload off before you can melt them.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Faced off against some people doing the TIE Bomber Leech strat, it was... unusual.

TIE Bomber Leech strat?

• Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    My x52 arrived today.

I'm hoping the patch tomorrow fixes this among some other stuff

Here's hoping... they've also acknowledged the weak input when using pitch/roll on same stick, I would imagine that bug is related so hopefully that's fixed too!

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I Just hope it fixes the VR sync issue. I can't go back to playing this in pancake mode after experiencing it in VR, but I also can't play it in VR because of what a fucking mess it is at the moment.

I can compensate for the joystick dead-zone issue. I can't compensate for feeling like I'm going to vomit after 10 minutes in VR.

Ideally both are fixed though.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j6js4d/breakdown_of_different_unexplained_game_mechanics/

Some streamers I've been watching put this together. Some very useful stuff.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So playing VR has made me wonder... do all races find Mon Calamari awkward to converse with? I can't figure out where I'm supposed to be looking when I talk to Ardo. I can't look him in the eyes because they're too far apart, so I'm either constantly switching back and forth between each eye, or talking with his nose trying to split the difference. It's weird.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So playing VR has made me wonder... do all races find Mon Calamari awkward to converse with? I can't figure out where I'm supposed to be looking when I talk to Ardo. I can't look him in the eyes because they're too far apart, so I'm either constantly switching back and forth between each eye, or talking with his nose trying to split the difference. It's weird.
    Focus on their weird semi-crab/semi-squid hands.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    After 15+ Fleet Battles against AI, I finally dipped my toe into ranked. I was scared of playing real people.

I went 30-4, 25-9, and 26-?, I can confidently say that killing the average player in this game is much easier than Fleet Battle AI

ObiFett on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

69vceug83rfa.gif

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I played through a few missions last night with kbam and it was functional but not great.

Gonna have to try this after digging out my old MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. Anyone know if there's actually support for it with this?

I'm temped to actually break out my Oculus for it but at the same time that would be a pain in the ass with my current setup.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    After 15+ Fleet Battles against AI, I finally dipped my toe into ranked. I was scared of playing real people.

I went 30-4, 25-9, and 26-?, I can confidently say that killing the average player in this game is much easier than Fleet Battle AI

Most people are outright terrible at this. I’ve had multiple people in chasing come to a complete stop to turn around and face me.

I’m pretty sure most people just ignore the shields mechanic for rebels because I have seen someone swap the front to the back maybe three or four times.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone else actually evade a missile without dropping chaff.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Just had a really good fleet battle. not sure what map it was but one with loads of volcanic rocks flying about.
    Everyone else on my team is doing the usual 'rush the Star Destroyer head on and die in an attack run' strategy
    I took advantage that space is 3d and asteroids block line-of-sight. Turns out you can get surprisingly close to the SD on that map before coming under fire as there are asteroids up high that provide cover.
    In one attack run I took out the targeting system and right shield generator. 2nd run took out the left shield generator and shortly after the whole SD blew up. man I love the beam cannon/rotary gun combo on a bomber

Finished the mission with the most kills, most AI kills and most cap ship damage. And levelled up too!

• Options

TIE Bomber Leech strat?

Fly up to a subsystem on the MC, bump and come to a full stop on the hull, take advantage of the geometry to stay out of line of fire of a fair number of turrets.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular

TIE Bomber Leech strat?

Fly up to a subsystem on the MC, bump and come to a full stop on the hull, take advantage of the geometry to stay out of line of fire of a fair number of turrets.

Yeah the very slight curvature of the sides makes that work fairly well.

But the real problem is that the corellian corvettes have such huge engine blocks and no turrets, so it's possible to hang out behind them and avoid the turrets. They just need to increase the range or damage of the engine wash.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Last night was my first dip into dog fighting and I can’t say I did well but I didn’t do terrible. I would rather do coop stuff vs AI but fleet battles as fun as they are, are pretty basic. Playing this in VR just makes me want even more coop content. I want missions where you intercept cargo haulers or do raids on space stations or a trench run etc etc.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    While this iteration of Squadrons won't allow for it, I could imagine larger-scale attacks on capital ships, missions along the lines of what the online communities of the IL-2 games run. There's a lot of potential in this that is only hinted at in the first game; here's hoping that it sells well enough for a somewhat more ambitious follow-up.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I can't find the tweet but the maintenance period was pushed back to 12PM EST.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Yeah the Dogfights take a bit to get used to, but it's what I'm having the most fun with. I def wish there was more coop material though, the Fleet vs AI is fairly basic. Even the Fleet battles with human opponents just seem to end in suicide bomber/y wing attacks.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Squadrons 2 will be the TIE Fighter to Squadron's X-Wing.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Squadrons 2 and then Star Wars : Armada where you can customize your very own capital ships.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Also want to be able to queue up with not a full squad and just get a bot on your team for AI battles.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Squadrons really needs an XvT style "build your own mission" thing for the co-op to shine. Shit I'd even love a "randomize" button.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

Pilots! #StarWarsSquadrons will be down for maintenance for up to a few hours tomorrow, starting at 8:00 AM EDT. Release notes coming tomorrow.

Quick turnaround on fixes. Curious about the patch notes

Honestly, it's kind of embarassing that they didn't fix the deadzone issue day 1. It's literally an .ini setting -- people have been able to fix it by changing the .ini from ".2" to "0" from day one, but their anticheat software reverts the setting every match.

It's an incredibly simple day 1 hotfix, and I'm not sure why they made us wait a week for that one. But overall yay patch!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Squadrons really needs an XvT style "build your own mission" thing for the co-op to shine. Shit I'd even love a "randomize" button.

AI director that will spawn in a cap ship etc depending on how your team is doing.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Are bombs a thing? I want them to be a thing.