As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Patch notes:
    Fleet Battles Ranks

Fixed an issue where players could not be correctly placed in a rank after initial placement matches
    Players who have not started their placement matches will be able to place normally
    Players who have started their placement matches will have their remaining matches use the corrected system
    There will be no rank resets at this time

Controls

Added options in the menu called “Controller Global Deadzone" and "Flight Stick Global Deadzone” which will allow you to modify the deadzone individually for standard controllers and Flight Sticks
    Adjusted the default input curves for Flight Sticks, which should make controls feel more responsive

VR

Adjusted some of the visual effects in VR mode, specifically addressing the brightness and bloom when dropping bombs from your Starfighter

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where the Fleet Battles Tutorial could become incompletable if the player’s starfighter was destroyed at certain points during the exercise
    Fixed an issue where V-Sync would sometimes become disabled upon returning to the main menu
    Fixed a bug where the Imperial squadron was not visible in some instances during the opening cinematic for Dogfight mode
    Fixed an issue that was causing the 3000 series Nvidia GPUs to default to low quality graphics settings
    We’ve removed a couple of instances where development text was appearing in the game
    Fixed an issue ensuring VOIP (voice chat) toggles work as intended
    Fixed an issue on PC where single-player medals could be removed after playing other game modes. (NOTE: We are aware of this issue on console as well and a fix for that will be coming soon)

Stability

Improved stability in the Spectator feature of online PvP modes
    Other general stability improvements and fixes

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Are bombs a thing? I want them to be a thing.

Yup, bombers have both Ion and Proton bombs they can put in there loadout. They drop from the bottom of the ship and can be unloaded on a capital ship, I find you want to be fairly close to the capital ship . Sadly no bomber sights.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

Yup, bombers have both Ion and Proton bombs they can put in there loadout. They drop from the bottom of the ship and can be unloaded on a capital ship, I find you want to be fairly close to the capital ship . Sadly no bomber sights.

There is a little green arrow indicator next to the targeting reticle that tells you your target is below you and within range to fire bombs

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    VR Refresh Rate issue was still not addressed in this patch. Fuck.

Guess I'm moving over to flat mode, or else I won't be playing for the foreseeable future...

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Guess I'm moving over to flat mode, or else I won't be playing for the foreseeable future...

Wow. Yeah that's a really big one to have missed. Isn't the refresh rate jacked for flatscreen too? Like anything in excess of 60 hz sets it to 30 hz or something? My 144 hz monitor and Index are both crying -- I can't believe they didn't fix that one.

Edit: Apparently yeah refresh rate is also jacked for flatscreen. It's on their known issues list at least -- I would rather have the other stuff fixed than none at all so I guess I'll take it.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    They also didn't fix the issue where pitching and rolling at the same time results in half speed on both:

"And giving a diagonal joystick command still doesn't work correctly. For instance, if you have pitch and roll on one joystick and give a full diagonal command, you do not get 100% pitch and roll speed. So trying to pitch and roll at the same time is slow."

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

Wow. Yeah that's a really big one to have missed. Isn't the refresh rate jacked for flatscreen too? Like anything in excess of 60 hz sets it to 30 hz or something? My 144 hz monitor and Index are both crying -- I can't believe they didn't fix that one.

Edit: Apparently yeah refresh rate is also jacked for flatscreen. It's on their known issues list at least -- I would rather have the other stuff fixed than none at all so I guess I'll take it. Guess it's trickier to fix than I wanted it to be.

Yeah, the issue technically impacts any monitors with refresh rates over 60 Hz, as well as variable refresh rate monitors. It's an issue even playing in normal mode for those with certain monitors, but in VR it's only amplified since it causes major artifacting and general wonkiness. It seems that the screen itself actually does refresh correctly, but motion in the game is limited to 60 FPS for some reason. On a monitor it just looks bad. In VR it's game-breaking and can make you feel sick.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Edit: Apparently yeah refresh rate is also jacked for flatscreen. It's on their known issues list at least -- I would rather have the other stuff fixed than none at all so I guess I'll take it. Guess it's trickier to fix than I wanted it to be.

Yeah, the issue technically impacts any monitors with refresh rates over 60 Hz, as well as variable refresh rate monitors. It's an issue even playing in normal mode for those with certain monitors, but in VR it's only amplified since it causes major artifacting and general wonkiness. It seems that the screen itself actually does refresh correctly, but motion in the game is limited to 60 FPS for some reason. On a monitor it just looks bad. In VR it's game-breaking and can make you feel sick.

Yeah. I've been playing it in VR, and haven't gotten sick or anything. But I definitely noticed the strange juttery ship movements, which appears to be tied to it. I was also kind of amazed that I was running this in an Index at 120 hz, aaand this bug is why. No one's running it at 120 hz currently -- the game just wont render at that high of a framerate.

Oh, I didn't see it mentioned in the patchnotes specifically so I'm assuming it's not fixed -- the stars/skybox in VR render on low settings no matter what you have the setting at. I noticed the stars looking a bit subpar but awesome dogfights make me forgiving, and yeah it's a thing.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Edit: Apparently yeah refresh rate is also jacked for flatscreen. It's on their known issues list at least -- I would rather have the other stuff fixed than none at all so I guess I'll take it.

Its the next big thing on their list of known issues. I assume a fix for that will come next. It seems like they are knocking out some of the absolutely gamebreaking problems first. As someone who plays exclusively in VR, I really want them to fix the framerate issue, but HOTAS was a bigger deal and probably easier to fix than the framerate.

Actual patch notes thread here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/SW-Squadrons-Update-1-1-Release-Notes/td-p/9558433
    Their list of known issues is here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/SW-Squadrons-Known-Issues-amp-Announcements/m-p/9526030#M1747
    VR framerate is right below HOTAS

ObiFett on
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Its the next big thing on their list of known issues. I assume a fix for that will come next. It seems like they are knocking out some of the absolutely gamebreaking problems first. As someone who plays exclusively in VR, I really want them to fix the framerate issue, but HOTAS was a bigger deal and probably easier to fix than the framerate.

Actual patch notes thread here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/SW-Squadrons-Update-1-1-Release-Notes/td-p/9558433
    Their list of known issues is here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/SW-Squadrons-Known-Issues-amp-Announcements/m-p/9526030#M1747
    VR framerate is right below HOTAS

Unfortunately it sounds like they still didn't completely fix all of the HOTAS issues. Apparently the bug with reduced input when using pitch and roll on the same stick still persists. To be fair, I think regular controllers are affected by this as well, so not purely a HOTAS issue.

I am glad to hear they fixed the deadzone issue though, that was definitely a major problem. I'll at least jump on and try that out later to see if my aim is better and I'm not overshooting everything still. If nothing else, seeing them push out a major patch like this just a week after launch makes me hopeful that that they'll continue working on addressing some of this other stuff.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular

There is a little green arrow indicator next to the targeting reticle that tells you your target is below you and within range to fire bombs

I knew they existed mostly asking if they were a waste of time. I love that green arrow thing, that might make a huge difference, and very likely something that is mentioned in the tutorial/single player and I haven't gotten that far yet.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not super upset about the patch cycle or anything, buuut I'm definitely not giving them pats on the back for being super proactive either.

Now that we know what they didn't fix, the only real relevant fix in this patch to me as a VR and HOTAS user is the deadzone fix. They added sliders, cool! We really just wanted to be able to set the deadzone to 0, and that was something they very easily could have fixed on day 1, as the PC community had diagnosed it just being an .ini file within like 12 hours.

Aand there are still numerous HOTAS and VR issues outstanding. I was definitely hoping for more given all that is still outstanding.

I find myself agreeing very strongly with that Ars Technica article that was written off pretty quickly here. I'm not having all of the same issues as him, but I think his advice on "Tap your breaks for the PC release -- it looks pretty buggy and I can't humanly test everything so there's probably more underneath the surface given now janky the surface is" is pretty spot on. Ars was the only outlet that actually tested the PC version of this game in any depth at all, and a lot of the issues that might have just been PC issues (VR and HOTAS weirdness) actually affect consoles as well.

At the end of the day, the dogfighting is hot as hell and I really like the game. But, if you're releasing a game that is about dogfighting stuff where 100% of your time is spent in a cockpit, where you've heavily advertised the VR and HOTAS functionality of said game, it's pretty inexcusable to have so many issues with just basic joystick input. It's pretty clear no one spent much time at all testing the HOTAS stuff, and that's a bit lame. Doubly so when the issues that the HOTAS nerds all noticed actually affect gamepad joystick play as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I knew they existed mostly asking if they were a waste of time. I love that green arrow thing, that might make a huge difference, and very likely something that is mentioned in the tutorial/single player and I haven't gotten that far yet.

It's pointed out in your first Y-Wing mission in the single-player I think.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

It's pointed out in your first Y-Wing mission in the single-player I think.
    It's incredibly easy to miss, and I actually got through that mission by just dumping all my bombs any time I got close to a target because I never saw the green arrow, only the reticle changing to a flat line.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I was leaving skid marks* on the Star Destroyer during the tutorial so good to know there is a visual indicator I can reference.

Edit:
    *Figuratively

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    They also didn't fix the issue where pitching and rolling at the same time results in half speed on both:

"And giving a diagonal joystick command still doesn't work correctly. For instance, if you have pitch and roll on one joystick and give a full diagonal command, you do not get 100% pitch and roll speed. So trying to pitch and roll at the same time is slow."

Could this be intentional? You wouldn't use diagonal inputs in an atmospheric fighter because doing a "loaded roll" at any combat speed would get you a quick asymmetric over-G. We teach our young pilots to "fly the T" and only input in one axis. Also fighters do roll slower with the onset of G. Maybe the in-space justification for it is having to split power to multiple thrusters?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I mean this is Star Wars dogfighting.

Never try to apply actual physics to it :P

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anyone played after the update that can attest to the deadzone fix? I won't be on until later but I'm excited to see how it goes.

• Options

You can’t make this argument and in the same breath ask for verisimilitude.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Could this be intentional? You wouldn't use diagonal inputs in an atmospheric fighter because doing a "loaded roll" at any combat speed would get you a quick asymmetric over-G. We teach our young pilots to "fly the T" and only input in one axis. Also fighters do roll slower with the onset of G. Maybe the in-space justification for it is having to split power to multiple thrusters?

But it rolls at full speed as long as those inputs are on different sticks.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »

But it rolls at full speed as long as those inputs are on different sticks.

Ah. Well then that’s weird.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Edit - wrong Star Wars thread! On topic I’m waiting for the new consoles before I pick this up , so I will have to wait at least another month.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Good lord that circular space station map is absolutely awful in dogfights. I spent that whole match desperately trying to get to teammates only to have them fly to the other side and get blown up, followed by me getting blown up.

And then the game gave me the "Indestructible" award when I was one of the people with the most deaths on my team.

• Options

You can’t make this argument and in the same breath ask for verisimilitude.

Who is asking for verisimilitude?

Again, Star Wars dogfighting :P

Consistency in the control scheme isn't the same as asking for reality. Space dogfighting itself as even a concept is more than a little absurd once we let reality creep in.

Not that I care because, I mean, fuck reality. Gimme my spaceship shooty-shoots.

• Options
    Oh also supposedly Win10 is compatible with the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Pro so I guess I'm gonna dig it out and report back.

If it actually works with this game... look I'm not saying there's an intervention in my future but

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    This patch did not fix the fleet battle tutorial. It crashes the game when I try to play it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    There was a Star Wars... something.. I just can't remember what it was (I think maybe Resistance?) where an X-Wing spins around backwards and fires on its pursuers while still traveling the same direction in space. So it's not even consistent within itself. Of course this could easily be explained away as a type of flight-assist that they can turn on and off. They already have anti-grav repulsors, so it's not really a stretch .

Edit: I don't think this was it but it also features a pilot flying backwards after spinning around, although its only for a brief moment:
    https://youtu.be/RC2D-r_GG0A

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Poe pulls a move like that at the beginning of The Last Jedi. Check the last 20 seconds or so.

https://youtu.be/XEQ7oy03c0o

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Poe pulls a move like that at the beginning of The Last Jedi. Check the last 20 seconds or so.

That's probably what I was thinking of.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Nope, not going to bring the other Star Wars discussion into this thread.

Unsurprisingly, my brother got partway through the first single player mission and very much does not like the game. But then again he also just found out about the Stim in Modern Warfare after we had been playing it for a year. So I guess I won't be playing this with him at all and might have to find something a little (a lot) less complicated.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

You can do this in Squadrons... It's what drifting is.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Doesn't seem to last long enough to me, or I'm not really doing it right :D

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »

I've set my drift to "hold" in settings, and that seems to work pretty well. Press your boost button, then press again and hold to drift, then release to boost again. I've gotten quite good at drifting in the training map, boosting one direction and then drift-boosting through a hole in a piece of debris or something. Then when I try it in actual online matches I inevitably end up smashing myself to pieces.

While I love playing in VR with a HOTAS, I'm not sure it's actually making me better at the game, especially online. I think tonight I may try using a normal XBox Controller and playing on a regular-ass monitor. Perhaps I'll save the immersion for the single-player campaign.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    This patch did not fix the fleet battle tutorial. It crashes the game when I try to play it

Go into your graphics settings, set the quality to custom to unlock the individual options, and turn Volumetric to medium. Don’t know why it works, but it fixed it for me.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

I've set my drift to "hold" in settings, and that seems to work pretty well. Press your boost button, then press again and hold to drift, then release to boost again. I've gotten quite good at drifting in the training map, boosting one direction and then drift-boosting through a hole in a piece of debris or something. Then when I try it in actual online matches I inevitably end up smashing myself to pieces.

While I love playing in VR with a HOTAS, I'm not sure it's actually making me better at the game, especially online. I think tonight I may try using a normal XBox Controller and playing on a regular-ass monitor. Perhaps I'll save the immersion for the single-player campaign.

Ah, I think I've been holding from the initial press. Do I need to cut thrust or anything or just boost and let go of button, press button and hold (or DT if I change the way it works), and then just turn hard?

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Ah, I think I've been holding from the initial press. Do I need to cut thrust or anything or just boost and let go of button, press button and hold (or DT if I change the way it works), and then just turn hard?

All you've got to do is tap boost, then any combination of turning and holding down the boost button [if your control settings are set to drift (hold)]. Cutting thrust will actually end the boost/drift, from what I can tell. Here are some examples of people doing it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j4uum4/squadrons_racing_anyone/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j5ztoe/when_you_chose_the_wrong_class/

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Cutting thrust to come out of boost is a toggleable option.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    ahhhh is that how people can bank in a much tighter fashion?

I still am not able to pivot as deeply as some others.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    So I noticed something odd when learning how to drift. When I start my boost, if I just press the button I'll boost for a second and then stop. But if I hold the boost button for like half a second, I can then confidently let go and maintain the boost.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    I am still not sold on, like, any of the engine swaps. It feels weird that you can make an A-wing that turns worse than a Y-Wing, or has amazing turning but plods along slower than the U-Wing, etc. The stat swings are just SO wild that it feels like you are building them for highly niche roles. Blast from one end of the map to the other in a straight line, do a bit of damage on the way, turn around with a drift and do it again?