As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Squadrons] Free on Game Pass!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So these custom matches, wonder if that means I can do me and a friend on one team vs bots on the other in fleet battles

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Or me, friend & bots vs bots.
    Because as it is I spend almost as much time finding a match vs ai as I do playing, and if you pull a bunch of people out of that pool it is going to make finding a match impossible.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Because as it is I spend almost as much time finding a match vs ai as I do playing, and if you pull a bunch of people out of that pool it is going to make finding a match impossible.

yea thats what I want as well, I dont really want to play with randos

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

What about Rando Calrissian? I heard they made him a general!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Yeah I keep meaning to but the nostalgia just doesn't outlast the graphics.

You can play the entirety of TIE Fighter in X-Wing Alliance using mods, XWA also has mods to upgrade it to modern-ish graphics standards (it won't be Squadrons level but it will be close. Think Squadron's if Squadron's came out in 2013).

I've tried those! It didn't played nice with my PC for some reason.

Also I lack a non-force feedback joystick which makes playing any flightsim without support for it frustrating to say the least.

1. What's a force feedback joystick?
    2. I definitely had some issues getting my full HOTAS to work (ended up having to force it through with virtual joystick software) but it seemed to natively recognize my joystick?

Edit: I just looked up what a force feedback joystick is. Holy crap that is amazing. It's too bad they don't make affordable ones anymore.

Even if they did make affordable ones virtually nothing supports them anymore.

I don't think Windows even does anymore. Older versions of windows had a built in capability to just make the force feedback act the way a regular joystick does wrt to going back to cente. Without that there's no resistance at all on many of them so like it still works but it's just a giant floppy stick in your lap

And now I'm giggling because apparently I'm 12

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    IIRC they said there wouldn’t be any expansions, but in my perfect world they’d release remade versions of the old games and their missions as DLC.

"We don't plan on releasing any expansions for perhaps the most popular product we've put out in the last few years." What morons.

Anyway, does this mean no expansion content at all, like no DLC stuff, or just no big expansions.

It doesn't mean anything. The most they've said is that they don't have any plans for DLC currently. They just want people to know that they consider this a full experience and they're not just releasing what they have and are going to patch in the rest later.

There will be updates and add-ons for this game, count on it.

I just want to point out that I'm usually right about these things and you guys should listen to me more.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

I DO want to play with Randos, the problem is that no one is playing.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I just want to play in VR without crashing 33% of the time

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Crashing like "you should fly better!" Or crashing "your computer is breaking"?

• Options
      Fencingsax wrote: »

Crashing like "you should fly better!" Or crashing "your computer is breaking"?

Pretty much on the Yavin map, crashes to desktop. Any other map is fine, but it gives me the leaver penalty. I saw fixes by changing my pagefile size manually but I got 32GB of ram and no issues with any other game.

• Options
        SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

What about Rando Calrissian? I heard they made him a general!

You know that part was original written for Marlon Rando? Not many people do.

• Options
        DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
        Did you try turning the VR volumetric light detail to low. I think it’s the last option under the video preferences.

I remember there were a few people when we started playing that had this issue.

I booted it up and yeah performance is much much better in VR. Ran amazing on my Quest 2, and it just looks so crisp.

• Options
        Dixon wrote: »
        Did you try turning the VR volumetric light detail to low. I think it’s the last option under the video preferences.

I booted it up and yeah performance is much much better in VR. Ran amazing on my Quest 2, and it just looks so crisp.

I think I did originally because that was the only fix I could find. I'll try it again to be sure. Was there a regular volumetric setting? Maybe I only changed that one.

• Options
          FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
          Dixon wrote: »

I think I did originally because that was the only fix I could find. I'll try it again to be sure. Was there a regular volumetric setting? Maybe I only changed that one.

Yeah that's what fixed it for me -- Yavin was crashing every time before. There are separate sliders for non-VR settings and VR settings -- you have to scroll down the page specifically for the one that says VR volumetric.

steam_sig.png
        • Options
          About to test. Hopefully I missed it in my haste and this will fix. Thanks!

• Options
            Yup definitely missed it. My regular volumetric was low but VR was ultra. Loaded into a Yavin fleet battle so hopefully it's set!

• Options
              Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
              Just picked this up on sale, and got through the tutorials and whatnot. Played my first Dogfight, and started out flying into terrain and getting downed four times, then turning it around for a 6 kill streak as we edged out the filthy Rebels for the win. So I think I’m getting the hang of it.

I still pure straight hate the deceleration on turning inputs, so I might play around with different sensitivity settings to see if I can tone down my tendency to overshoot targets because of it. But apart from that, if anybody on PSN is looking for wingmen, hit me up.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
            • Options
              Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
              Just picked this up on sale, and got through the tutorials and whatnot. Played my first Dogfight, and started out flying into terrain and getting downed four times, then turning it around for a 6 kill streak as we edged out the filthy Rebels for the win. So I think I’m getting the hang of it.

I still pure straight hate the deceleration on turning inputs, so I might play around with different sensitivity settings to see if I can tone down my tendency to overshoot targets because of it. But apart from that, if anybody on PSN is looking for wingmen, hit me up.

It's cross-platform, doesn't have to be PSN only!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
            • Options
              McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
              Capt Howdy wrote: »
              Finally got PSVR, whats the consensus on this game using PSVR?

I love it. I've only played it flat screen a couple of times and yes, the resolution is much better that way, but you're not there.

VR resolution also apparently gets a nice boost on PS5 as well, can't wait for my camera adapter to arrive now.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
              PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
            • Options
              KarlKarl Registered User regular
              Is it possible to play purely against AI?

As in me and AI wingmates vs AI in fleetbattles? I can see its on sale and doing some online research, they've actually got this running at 60FPS on Base xbox so I'm tempted.

• Options
              ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
              Karl wrote: »

As in me and AI wingmates vs AI in fleetbattles? I can see its on sale and doing some online research, they've actually got this running at 60FPS on Base xbox so I'm tempted.

Yes, you can totally do this

• Options
              Karl wrote: »

You can. But some of us really want those sweet useless challenge points that cannot be earned playing solo and are kind of tired spending 5+ minutes searching for a co-op vs AI match every time...

• Options
              Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
              McFodder wrote: »
              Capt Howdy wrote: »
              Finally got PSVR, whats the consensus on this game using PSVR?

I love it. I've only played it flat screen a couple of times and yes, the resolution is much better that way, but you're not there.

VR resolution also apparently gets a nice boost on PS5 as well, can't wait for my camera adapter to arrive now.

Just finished playing it in VR and holy fucking shit that was fuckinh awesome! I was in the cockpit of a mother fucking X-Wing! Loved almost everything about the experience, only complaint being I dont like L being the throttle.

Steam: kaylesolo1
              3DS: 1521-4165-5907
              PS3: KayleSolo
              Live: Kayle Solo
              WiiU: KayleSolo
            • Options
              McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
              The controls are almost infinitely customisable, the only issue I know of (that may have been fixed now) was that if pitch and roll I think it was were on the same stick you couldn't use both fully at the same time.

I played around with controls a fair bit, going between inverted and not until I kept confusing myself mid-battle and crashed a few times and decided I'd be better off picking one and sticking to it. I'd love to pick up a HOTAS for it as well but hard to justify right now.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
              PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
            • Options
              edited November 2020
              I’ve now played a bunch of Fleet Battles, which gets way easier with unlocks. And a bunch of Dogfight, where setting no preference for faction means, rather predictably, that I’ve been Empire every single time.

Two things.

One, why is there is even a preference setting? They knew what the result was going to be for 80% of the players. So why not go pure RNG on this?

Now, I know that’s not going to change. But I’d love to see a new Dogfight alternate game mode that’s like Infection, with the player respawning as New Republic if they scored kills as Empire, and going back in the cockpit of a TIE Fighter if they get downed as filthy Rebel scum.

Two, why did I have to go on the internet to find out about power shunting? I got a nice little tutorial on how power allocation works, but I don’t remember the game mentioning the main advantage Imperial ships get to balance out the shields those unwashed Rebel terrorists get.

But enough of my backseat game design. I’m digging Squadrons a lot. And getting just a bit bitter at not flying into things, while still using terrain to my advantage. The amount of cover you can figuratively duck behind makes this feel somewhat unique among space dogfighting games. And I’m finding that easier to do with a TIE Fighter, because I can zip around with engines overboosted and dump the excess into weapons when going in for the kill shot.

Zoku Gojira on
              "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
            • Options
              NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
              I’ve now played a bunch of Fleet Battles, which gets way easier with unlocks. And a bunch of Dogfight, where setting no preference for faction means, rather predictably, that I’ve been Empire every single time.

Two things.

One, why is there is even a preference setting? They knew what the result was going to be for 80% of the players. So why not go pure RNG on this?

Now, I know that’s not going to change. But I’d love to see a new Dogfight alternate game mode that’s like Infection, with the player respawning as New Republic if they scored kills as Empire, and going back in the cockpit of a TIE Fighter if they get downed as filthy Rebel scum.

Two, why did I have to go on the internet to find out about power shunting? I got a nice little tutorial on how power allocation works, but I don’t remember the game mentioning the main advantage Imperial ships get to balance out the shields those unwashed Rebel terrorists get.

But enough of my backseat game design. I’m digging Squadrons a lot. And getting just a bit bitter at not flying into things, while still using terrain to my advantage. The amount of cover you can figuratively duck behind makes this feel somewhat unique among space dogfighting games. And I’m finding that easier to do with a TIE Fighter, because I can zip around with engines overboosted and dump the excess into weapons when going in for the kill shot.

The game explains shunting during the campaign. The single player is basically one long tutorial.

• Options
              Norgoth wrote: »
              The game explains shunting during the campaign. The single player is basically one long tutorial.

Ah. I either missed it or didn’t play far enough into it before going into MP, then. Thanks for the heads up.

Sometimes I see my wingmen stalling their engines and getting eaten like popcorn by an A-Wing driver, so I suspect that I’m far from alone in this.

• Options
              Norgoth wrote: »

Ah. I either missed it or didn’t play far enough into it before going into MP, then. Thanks for the heads up.

Sometimes I see my wingmen stalling their engines and getting eaten like popcorn by an A-Wing driver, so I suspect that I’m far from alone in this.

It's the 2nd Imperial mission, first after the time jump. I think it's mission 4 or 5? The one where you
              attack Hosnian Prime.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
            • Options
              I’d be less reluctant to fly in imperial ships if they had any visibility. I feel like I’m piloting a coffin with a decorative window.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
            • Options
              Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
              I’d be less reluctant to fly in imperial ships if they had any visibility. I feel like I’m piloting a coffin with a decorative window.

Sounds about right to me.

• Options
              edited November 2020
              Visibility in the TIEs would probably annoy me to no end if I had a PSVR headset. Assuming it allows for free look “above” your fighter.

Of course, CCA era Gundam nailed cockpit design for space combat so completely, with 360 degrees of camera views in a recessed housing, that the bulbous design of the TIE Fighter’s front office seems like a wasted opportunity on the part of Sienar Systems.

Zoku Gojira on
            • Options
              edited November 2020
              They did it on purpose. They want TIE pilots to be laser focused on the task in front of them, even to their own detriment. They don't want them seeing the wing of alliance fighters descending to obliterate them the moment they hit the objective. Also, the idea is that the other 50 TIES in your flight will be your eyes for you, so you don't really need to know whats going on around you.

The same disregard for pilot safety is why the ship doesn't even have life support systems, which is why they need to wear those suits with the bigass helmets all the time.

Handsome Costanza on
              Resident 8bitdo expert.
            • Options
              jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
            • Options
              The same disregard for pilot safety is why the ship doesn't even have life support systems, which is why they need to wear those suits with the bigass helmets all the time.

So, the Empire has disregard for pilot safety because they issue everybody their own spacesuit and personal life support systems.

While the Rebellion hands out non-enclosed helmets and just pressurizes cockpits in hopes that the canopy seals hold. And would never show disregard for pilot safety by, for instance, having them hold formation flying down the length of a heavily-defended trench while TIE Fighters bear down on them.

Well, that’s all very clear.

• Options
              BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
              Frankly, in a dogfighting combat scenario, I'd much rather be in the ship with no life support where I'm given a spacesuit, if the alternative is no backup options if my cockpit begins to lose pressure.

Like, I know it never happens, but hypothetically a TIE pilot could be recovered if they ejected.

• Options
              Frankly, in a dogfighting combat scenario, I'd much rather be in the ship with no life support where I'm given a spacesuit, if the alternative is no backup options if my cockpit begins to lose pressure.

Like, I know it never happens, but hypothetically a TIE pilot could be recovered if they ejected.

They specifically go out of their way to not pickup ejected pilots.

Like.. the no life support things isn't where the fuckery begins and ends, its the tip of the iceberg

Resident 8bitdo expert.
            • Options
              OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
              edited November 2020
              I'm not going to dive into a wiki to read up on the details, but life support in the Star Wars universe doesn't seem to be that difficult. In Empire Strikes Back Han and crew walk around in an asteroid cave, open to space, using partial face masks connected to completely concealed oxygen supplies.

EDIT: Watched the scene on YouTube. I guess the oxygen supplies are visible, they're about the size of a hot dog.

Orogogus on
            • Options
              They did it on purpose. They want TIE pilots to be laser focused on the task in front of them, even to their own detriment. They don't want them seeing the wing of alliance fighters descending to obliterate them the moment they hit the objective. Also, the idea is that the other 50 TIES in your flight will be your eyes for you, so you don't really need to know whats going on around you.

I can’t follow this line of reasoning even for a moment. The reason for why TIE cockpits lack visibility is because they’re based on Ralph McQuarrie’s designs and he was creating an aesthetic, not a functional star fighter. The ad hoc in-universe explanations are as flimsy as they are consistent, and not at all grounded in any sort of realism. Case-in-point, exactly how do TIE-Fighters maintain formation without any lateral visibility? If there is a way let me know because my buddies and I who fly formations for a living would totally do it. The era of aerial warfare Star Wars (originally) aped did rely on mass formations of fighters in Day-Time Visual Meteorological Conditions all sharing a single radio frequency. Sorting via the radio was impossible: instead they had to rely on maintaining visual formations. Unobserved rear-hemisphere attacks were deadly, so as airplane designs improved, improving visibility at all angles was a priority. I know this because I talked to a WWII veteran at the Nellis O-Club before I commissioned, and also because studying aerial warfare is my job. About the only time fighter jet design had poor visibility was in the era of interceptors (Think MiG-21 and F-4) and those limitations were exploited severely.

I’m beating a dead horse here, but it’s one of the things I hate most in the game and makes flying for the Imperials basically a no-go for me. The only reason it’s not a complete deal-breaker is because all of the Star Wars Squadron jets (even the Y-Wing) turn insanely fast. No joke, you can do a 360 in the Y-wing in about 10 seconds at about 90m/s, meaning it’s turn radius is about 1/6th of the P-51 Mustang. I don’t know how to do that math, but I’m guessing that’s somewhere in the realm of more than 30 G’s, meaning you’re going to pass out in a quarter of a second and (assuming you’re still turning) kill yourself a few seconds later. When you can turn and face whoever you want to that quickly I’ll admit that visibility is a little less of an issue.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
            • Options
              edited November 2020

I can’t follow this line of reasoning even for a moment. The reason for why TIE cockpits lack visibility is because they’re based on Ralph McQuarrie’s designs and he was creating an aesthetic, not a functional star fighter. The ad hoc in-universe explanations are as flimsy as they are consistent, and not at all grounded in any sort of realism. Case-in-point, exactly how do TIE-Fighters maintain formation without any lateral visibility? If there is a way let me know because my buddies and I who fly formations for a living would totally do it. The era of aerial warfare Star Wars (originally) aped did rely on mass formations of fighters in Day-Time Visual Meteorological Conditions all sharing a single radio frequency. Sorting via the radio was impossible: instead they had to rely on maintaining visual formations. Unobserved rear-hemisphere attacks were deadly, so as airplane designs improved, improving visibility at all angles was a priority. I know this because I talked to a WWII veteran at the Nellis O-Club before I commissioned, and also because studying aerial warfare is my job. About the only time fighter jet design had poor visibility was in the era of interceptors (Think MiG-21 and F-4) and those limitations were exploited severely.

I’m beating a dead horse here, but it’s one of the things I hate most in the game and makes flying for the Imperials basically a no-go for me. The only reason it’s not a complete deal-breaker is because all of the Star Wars Squadron jets (even the Y-Wing) turn insanely fast. No joke, you can do a 360 in the Y-wing in about 10 seconds at about 90m/s, meaning it’s turn radius is about 1/6th of the P-51 Mustang. I don’t know how to do that math, but I’m guessing that’s somewhere in the realm of more than 30 G’s, meaning you’re going to pass out in a quarter of a second and (assuming you’re still turning) kill yourself a few seconds later. When you can turn and face whoever you want to that quickly I’ll admit that visibility is a little less of an issue.

Discussing lore is fun, but is decidedly less so when you have to describe each nuanced BTS reason behind it while discussing it.

Handsome Costanza on
              Resident 8bitdo expert.
            • Options
              I don’t hold a disregard for physics against Squadrons, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, or the original X-Wing, because the Star Wars inspired game that really kicked off this genre in gaming, Wing Commander, had ships doing hairpin turns at 400 kilometers per second and then rapidly tripling that speed with the afterburner lit. The in-universe explanation, found in the handsome blueprints included with the game, was that the space fighters were equipped with inertial dampeners. I should freaking hope so.

@italianrnma, Good points about form leading function with the iconic design by McQuarrie. The only thing I wanted to add, as an aviation nerd, is that one of the guest speakers on the Aircrew Interviews channel, a Phantom driver, recently surprised the hell out of me by describing visibility from the front office of the F-4 as very good. He said you can crane your head around and see almost directly behind the aircraft. Not too shabby.