Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I honestly don't miss better graphics in this.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So that whole thing about me using a different weapon this game. Turns out that was a lie. Tried a few weapons, but I can't help it. GS just feels like home to me.

The new wirebug moves are pretty neat and give GS a ton of mobilty that it didn't use to have. There's a move that zips me a good distance away while also sheathing my weapon and giving me a damage buff that lasts a decent bit. Enough to get a few charged swings.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Watching since streams and I'm amazed at how well the monster drops stand out. I'm so jealous after spending minutes running around an IB fight trying to find the drop that my tracker claims is nearby

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I don't miss it, but I won't turn it down either.

I'm very looking forward to the PC version, but I'm definitely not "dissatisfied" with the Switch version.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So that whole thing about me using a different weapon this game. Turns out that was a lie. Tried a few weapons, but I can't help it. GS just feels like home to me.

The new wirebug moves are pretty neat and give GS a ton of mobilty that it didn't use to have. There's a move that zips me a good distance away while also sheathing my weapon and giving me a damage buff that lasts a decent bit. Enough to get a few charged swings.

Same.

The fact you can wirefall into a lance charge in any direction when you land just made keeping the pressure on monsters so much easier.

There's 2 counter moves for the lance, too, and I'm definitely excited to try out the insta-guard.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Just beat Magnamalo. That was a rough fight... I ended up carting when it was like one hit from dead, but I had its number mostly by the end.

Beat Barioth no issue with an HBG though, charged slicing shot is brutal, a clean face hit was like 90 damage.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    @Arch if I don't want to worry about kinect management mid fight, which kinsect should I go with?

I don't know what you mean, but if no one has answered I'd say an "Assist" type. It gives you two extracts at once, and if you have triple-up the kinsect attacks with you on some attacks

Otherwise get a Triple-up extender kinsect so your buff lasts for a long time.

@Brody

• Options
    ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    I'm kind of missing the decorations from World, but I guess I'll just have to farm several full armor sets instead of a couple with different jewels.
    I also told myself that I would try a new weapon and then immediately went back to SB. Maybe one day, heavy bowgun.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thrack wrote: »
    I'm kind of missing the decorations from World, but I guess I'll just have to farm several full armor sets instead of a couple with different jewels.
    I also told myself that I would try a new weapon and then immediately went back to SB. Maybe one day, heavy bowgun.
    Decorations are in. They just don't appear until High Rank.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Good lord. The HR7 Urgent is bonkers.

EDIT: Wait, that wasn't the urgent? Okee dokee...

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Yea.. if that was my village and the only decent grub I could get was fucking dango I would have my own rampage. Gimme an actual meal not a tea time snack that you would get sick of after the first skewer.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i could eat dango literally all the time tho

maybe mix in some bao and we're golden

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I'm playing this. I didn't play World and had been recently been playing MHGU on Switch.

I was initially a bit put off by some of the streamlining (I don't need a cold drink in the desert?), the other enhancements completely make up for it. The Wire-bug in particular is a revelation.

After much thought, I've decided to go Long Blade as my main.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    This game is a billion times easier to look at than world. There's so much contrast between different things. The art style is so much better.

Also HR hub is definitely where things start to kick off. I just fought the hr izuchi solo and it felt like more of a regular fight than slowmo village stuff. Also the armor sets you unlock just for having access to HR are a billion times better than anything you could get in LR. Sooo many more skills and they have slots.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I'm playing this. I didn't play World and had been recently been playing MHGU on Switch.

I was initially a bit put off by some of the streamlining (I don't need a cold drink in the desert?), the other enhancements completely make up for it. The Wire-bug in particular is a revelation.

I am so glad crap like that was streamlined out, all it added was pointless busy work. Same with needing pickaxes, bug nets, fishing rods/bait...

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Kriegaffe wrote: »

I am so glad crap like that was streamlined out, all it added was pointless busy work. Same with needing pickaxes, bug nets, fishing rods/bait...

I'm in two minds.

There are a billion action games where you waltz out and just wail on an enemy till you win. Monster Hunter seemed to say "Stop. Have a think about what you're doing, and prepare.". That's not a terrible thing in my mind.

That said, a lot of the improvements (auto-crafting, fast harvesting) get to the good stuff faster.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Plowing through high rank. Observations:

- Man, it really feels like they nerfed charged shells in Rise. Even with a Long shot gunlance - whose specialty is charged shot - it is currently just way better to unload two quick shells, especially since Long's clip has been expanded from 3->4. Better damage, less vulnerable. Feels like the balance might be screwed up, there.
    I'm pretty sure they moved the charged shell bonus back to Wide this time around. Long's deal (besides generally being an all-rounder) is that Wyvernstake does a couple of extra ticks and Wyvernfire does an extra hit (so a third more damage). Charged shell into quick stake is very nice on Long.

Also, Wide's stake doesn't do the initial rapid ticks at all, just a bigger explosion at the end. So it's stronger against tough monster parts but weaker against vulnerable spots. Plus it supposedly does KO damage if you stick it to the head.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Okay, for real this time.

HR7 Urgent is nuts. :O

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I miss the busy work.

It was kind of a feeling to start off small, build up your box then go out and get bodied because you forgot something.

Now just casually playing and grabbing stuff as I pass by my box is about as stacked as an end game one and I didn't even notice it. At this point they may as well get rid of all items and just make the game like Malicious where they just drop you into an arena.

I dunno, I love the wirebug and weapon variety, I think the dogs running up walls is amazing, but it's definitely lost something along the way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I miss the busy work.

It was kind of a feeling to start off small, build up your box then go out and get bodied because you forgot something.

Now just casually playing and grabbing stuff as I pass by my box is about as stacked as an end game one and I didn't even notice it. At this point they may as well get rid of all items and just make the game like Malicious where they just drop you into an arena.

I dunno, I love the wirebug and weapon variety, I think the dogs running up walls is amazing, but it's definitely lost something along the way.

The items still get a lot of use.

Just found out that if you put a bomb down and bait Bassarios to tunnel to it it'll act as a makeshift trap.

Even World's endgame rewarded those who came prepared with a good selection of items to manipulate the fight. This ones not much different, and I'm getting a lot of use out of items.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I can't believe my first cart was to Tobi Kadachi, of all things.

Granted, it was my first time trying out the dodgebolt switch skill for the bow, and it definitely took me a while to figure out the timing, but still...

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I was completely blindsided by the 3rd and 4th hunting grounds...
    being remakes of Tri levels. As a huge Tri-hard I was like, "hey those names sound familiar. And you can finally climb the pyramid! Too bad it's a complete dead zone. I would have liked it so you could fight monsters at the top. But it's still neat.

• Options
    I miss the busy work.

The items still get a lot of use.

Just found out that if you put a bomb down and bait Bassarios to tunnel to it it'll act as a makeshift trap.

Even World's endgame rewarded those who came prepared with a good selection of items to manipulate the fight. This ones not much different, and I'm getting a lot of use out of items.

Yes but you can just go back to the box at any time and get everything.

There is zero use to the harvesting concept anymore. They should just give you unlimited everything like the kunai and whetstone.

Before you took what you could and made what you needed, if possible, on the go. It was a different dynamic.

At this point it's entirely pointless and they may as well get rid of it outright.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    As someone who has been playing since Freedom, honestly, I'm not seeing it. Sure, now gathering is faster, but I still gotta make a point of picking up stuff or run out. Heck, I'm not even capturing monsters because parashrooms go fast and they no longer give you free tranq shots in every LR box like they used to, and I've been doing expedition mining runs because mining points are pretty dang out of the way so minerals don't really get restocked in the course of normal play.

Anyway, did a couple more missions. Man, Bishaten is fun. And I'm happy to see Volvidon is back. I always liked this thing, and his armor is a great look. The only problem is that it seems to want to entice me to go back to CB, with an armor set that comes with quick morph and evade extend, and I'm trying to NOT just end up doing just CB and Lance like I always do!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Good news, the merchant just straight up sells tranq bombs for 180z.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Saldonas wrote: »
    What's adept lance?

The Insta-Block Switch Skill for Lance comes straight from Monster Hunter Generations & Generations Ultimate.

In Generations each weapon class had 4 (6 in Ultimate) selectable movesets, called "Hunting Styles".

Adept was a Hunting Style focused on timed actions that could fully nullify a given attack. When pulled off successfully, you could optionally counterattack. Lance had a timed block, called an "Insta-Block".

World and Rise integrate many individual moves from Hunting Styles and Hunter Arts into the baseline for the game.

Rise lets you swap specific moves between A and B choices; these are Switch Skills. Lance can use its traditional Guard, or swap that for the Insta-Block.

Wait, you can?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who, at the end of a mission waiting to get sent back to the village, spends most of the time dog drifting?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    man i am so out of my element in this game

my hammer feels weird now

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hmmm...not sure I like the first Charge Blade switch skill. Yeah it's awesome that my axe is now a saw, but I can't use an amped sword anymore.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    THE DANGO SONG IS CIVILIZATION!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Plowing through high rank. Observations:

- Man, it really feels like they nerfed charged shells in Rise. Even with a Long shot gunlance - whose specialty is charged shot - it is currently just way better to unload two quick shells, especially since Long's clip has been expanded from 3->4. Better damage, less vulnerable. Feels like the balance might be screwed up, there.
    I'm pretty sure they moved the charged shell bonus back to Wide this time around. Long's deal (besides generally being an all-rounder) is that Wyvernstake does a couple of extra ticks and Wyvernfire does an extra hit (so a third more damage). Charged shell into quick stake is very nice on Long.

Also, Wide's stake doesn't do the initial rapid ticks at all, just a bigger explosion at the end. So it's stronger against tough monster parts but weaker against vulnerable spots. Plus it supposedly does KO damage if you stick it to the head.

Iiiinteresting. Thanks for the heads up.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Rise has been fun so far, but it does seem kinda weird you start taking missions in the snowy place without any intro. I only played World before, which gave story reasons for why you’re visiting a new area, but maybe that’s not the norm?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Rise has been fun so far, but it does seem kinda weird you start taking missions in the snowy place without any intro. I only played World before, which gave story reasons for why you’re visiting a new area, but maybe that’s not the norm?
    The story in Rise is... super light, to be generous. Although in past Monster Hunter games, usually the announcement of a new area (which usually corresponds to gaining a star rank) is just a single text bubble from a villager and a sweeping cutscene when you first go there. Like, in Rise, the Meowcenaries cat gives more of a heads up that you can go to new areas than the Kamura villagers.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

It's very much not the norm. World was a very big departure from the traditional formula in many ways, and Rise is more "traditional", while keeping thr quality of life enhancements from World and adding new ones.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Eh, I like the speed up on gathering. You still have to go out and make an effort of finding harvest points, but now you aren't sitting around for three minutes hitting that dumb rock over and over again.

I assume the fast travel to camp/item box being available is why they actually got rid of nets/picks, once they are already available in the map, you might as well just make them always available. Idk, I feel like this is a solid iteration of the system.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I hope they end up adding Gigginox at some point

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    Eh, I like the speed up on gathering. You still have to go out and make an effort of finding harvest points, but now you aren't sitting around for three minutes hitting that dumb rock over and over again.

I assume the fast travel to camp/item box being available is why they actually got rid of nets/picks, once they are already available in the map, you might as well just make them always available. Idk, I feel like this is a solid iteration of the system.

The point is more you have the argosy, meowcenaries and the shops selling everything you pretty much need.

In the long line of 'minimize a task until it's barely necessary then remove it.' I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them make items into just things you slot into an item wheel that have charges or whatever. Once you're even remotely used to an area you can make small ten second detours to harvest several spots while dog running to the monster and it's just the most trivial of things.

For example, getting whetstones was never hard and you could carry more then enough. Yet here they are now, just a command.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Whetstones feel like a different mechanic to something like bone gathering, or getting the ingredients for barrel bombs.

I hope they keep items in the balance they have now because it feels like a good middle ground between memorizing a map and farming and then pointless button mashing in menus for 10 minutes and just giving them to you outright.

Looking for the proper plant and mining spot has led me to do expeditions even in Rise.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ugh. Desire sensor is working. I need one Narga Medulla, and it still isn't showing up after repeated farming. :/ THAT'S how you know it's a Monster Hunter game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I am so glad they kept expeditions in, as someone who wants to make lots of pretty armors and weapons, but needed one more jaggi claw.

I can pop into an expedition, get the claw, pop back out and boom, new armor.