As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Dex Save

Dex Save:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Jack just stands there, wide-eyed and click-click-clicks the empty pistol's trigger as the wall of goo in front of him grows, then explodes and splatters all over him, bits of jelly dribbling down his armour and attire.

He's momentarily stunned, but soon brought back as his new icing begins eating through to the skin.

"...ow. Ow. OW!" He slaps his arms, then whimpers and tries to scrub it off ineffectually. Thankfully he is soon distracted by his next favourite thing, lots and lots of snakes.

Turning around on his heels, he points back where they came from, promptly going into a quick trot, "Yes good idea away from the snakes go go go!" He's murmurring the half-remembered snake charm as he goes.

Glal on
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Oak comes up on the other side of the cube, gripping his axe and ready to slice into it again when it just...explodes. Blinking as he watches acid spray his companions, the Shifter rushes forward to their aid as the snakes come out to feast on the remains of the cube. "Agreed." he says to Urixes, "Don't want to be here when these things run out of food."

OOC: Me, the player really wants to investigate the cube remains. But Oak wouldn't give a shit about stuff to be found if it meant keeping everyone safe. Dang dad barbarian

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    ARNO’S PERCEPTION
    The body was freshly dead when the Cube engulfed it; he was probably sucked up less than ten minutes ago. The corpse was already beginning to bubble away, but the clothing signified that he was a seaman of some kind, and likely part of a professional crew. The unnaturally gaunt figure and ragged unshaven countenance suggest someone who was starving and stranded, respectively. He was missing one leg before the cube even got him, and it was a *very* recent loss (no peg or strap or remnants to be seen, and the leg is missing right up to the buttocks) However, the most important fact is one that is right there upon the man’s face: bite marks, horrid hungry ones. Nearly half the left side of his face has been stripped away by teeth. The teeth look to be…human
    The snakes underneath Urixes’s feet *spit and hiss* at the sight of the fire. A few attempt, weakly, to *snap* at his legs, but the Treasure Hunter’s old trick works, and the group remains unharmed! Making haste, the Wild Bunch and their companions reassemble, and Oak leads them up the tunnel (although, he is quickly overtaken by a *sprinting* Jack) and away from the snake’s feast. Arno bids the reptiles a sad goodbye over their shoulder...

THE GREY MAW- WESTERN TUNNELS- ANCIENT TAVERN- 9:30am

The group continues north up the tunnel. The Dwarves are each taking turns coaxing the still shaken Gerdie, half against the poor creature’s will. Most of the trio look like they could use a break themselves, even the usually stoic Balog. But they follow the Wild Bunch’s lead without complaint, eager to get to the safety of your ship.

As the journey has gone on, all three of the dwarves have become increasingly agitated by the Forlorn Soldier. The sweat on his brow has become a non-stop torrent; he is jabbering, now fully out loud, some sort of back-and-forth argument with himself; occasionally, the argument gets too heated, and he *slaps* at himself a few times to even things out. He turns, and giggles unsettlingly towards anyone who asks if he is alright, *insisting* through mad, surpressed giggles that you just need to keep going until…

“Here,” The Forlorn Soldier finally says at a break in the wall to the West. “It was in here…” the man *darts* forward across the tunnel, running under a familiar looking archway that has recently had the Giant Stone Door in front of it pulled aside.

The Archway enters into a giant circular room. It’s similar to the one you encountered Keet in, but smaller, and lacking a glass dome overhead. The place has been mostly wrecked and stripped *ages* ago, but the area has a familiar utility and function, even amongst the strange fish-snake architecture…and then it hits all of you at once. ”Tavern. This place was once a Tavern!”

You take quick note of what you can see around you:
    qb5z4ii5elpq.jpg

A. Entrance- Between the Tavern and the Tunnel; where you all now stand

B. Kuo-toa Encampment- A small group of fishmen, camped out near a deep puddle on the Southwest Side of the room and who are in the middle of a meal. You seem to have disturbed some sort of celebration. They’ve noticed you, but not gotten up…although they watch you all *warily*…

C. Ruined Tavern- This place was mostly wrecked or picked clean by scavengers an age ago…but there’s still the random tables and chairs lying around. Maybe you can learn something from the pile…

D. Karaoke Stage- A familiar fishsnake statue up on a dais, with another collapsed nearby. This place overlooks the entire room: a performance space of some kind? What sort of Tavern must this have been when it was still in operation? What could you still hope to find upon the stage?

E. Long Bar- A Half Circle Across the Northwest of the Room. Now chipped and stripped of goods, but once was the heart and soul of this place. Maybe something still remains behind the counter?

F. Storehouse- Another Giant Stone Door pulled aside. A huge, dark, empty space inside: looks like some sort of warehouse, but you’d have to look to make sure...

G. Row of Pillars- Completely In-descript row of pillars on the South side of the room. You can already tell, something meant to remain mostly hidden is back there…but what?

The Forlorn Solider takes note of the Kuo-toa, but dismisses them entirely. He turns back to the group, nodding effusively. “This is the place. This is where I met her…where she found me the drink that made me forget. Please…please,” the man clasps his palms to you as if in prayer, “Help me to find it…to forget myself once again…”

Behind you all, the three dwarves and Gerdie the Donkey come in, looking tired and on edge…

How do you proceed in the Ruined Tavern? And do you go alone, or as a group? Things to keep in mind: 1. The Forlorn Soldier is losing his composure a little bit more as each moment passes; 2. The Dwarves are all wounded, tired, and don’t trust the Soldier (Just eyeballing it, the Forlorn Soldier even in his current state could probably take all three of them together); 3. The Kuo-toa look irritated with your presence, but nothing more…for the moment; 4. The Giant Stone Door at the entrance appears to be the only way in and only way out of this room

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Despite having what might be charitably called an elder moment during the fight with the dessert, Bern chose to retell all he saw despite its dwindling relevance.

“…and the snakes. They were in little wee holes!”

A more serious, winter-grim part of Bern knows if the soldier forgets himself he’ll attack them. The clock ticks. We can really only hope he shows us something useful before then, and that the dwarves are kept away from him.

“Let’s head in together, after an hour’s break. I’ll play a song of rest to ease our pains.”, he turns to the soldier, “I know you’ll be wanting to search for the drink, but we’ll give you the best help after a rest. Think about logistics, soldier.”

Geth roll 1d20+12 for Perception

OOC:
    Song of Rest. Beginning at 2nd level, you can use soothing music or oration to help revitalize your wounded allies during a short rest. If you or any friendly creatures who can hear your performance regain hit points at the end of the short rest, each of those creatures regains an extra 1d6 hit points. The extra hit points increase when you reach certain levels in this class: to 1d8 at 9th level, to 1d 10 at 13th level, and to 1d12 at 17th level.

I’ll also cast Cure Wounds on whoever needs it most sans soldier.

In addition, I also have Bardic Inspiration I don’t believe anyone has used. That’s a +d6 to a roll.

Edit: Persuasion! You know what I mean.

Perception:
    1d20+12 17 [1d20=5]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Oak eyes the soldier warily, getting more uncomfortable with the delirium that seems to be overtaking him. The Shifter notices the Dwarves discomfort and makes a motion to them to stop, trying to spread the dwarves and the soldier out further. He also steps closer to the soldier as Bern talks to him, placing himself between the soldier and the rest of the party. If it came to blows, he would be in between the rest of them if this man couldn't retain his grasp on sanity.

He speaks in a low voice, both for the sake of the seemingly crazed man as well as the Kuo-toa that are camped nearby. "We should search this place, and give distance 'tween that group and us." He motions to the Kuo-toa camp with his head. "I'd suggest we move further 'cross the room and rest, let our friends heal up a bit. But if I had to guess, I'd say that there storeroom might contain whatever it is yer lookin' at."

• Options
    ((OOC: Can we have a look around during a short rest? ))

• Options
    edited June 2021
    OOC: The group can search an area in this location during their Short Rest, but some quick notes:

1. The Forlorn Soldier is desperate, and he wants, *needs* that drink right now...but, he'd be willing to wait the hour maybe...*if* someone shared their rations with him

2. The first person who leaves to Investigate, Balog the Bold is coming with. This is non-negotiable for him. "Can't just sit here," the Elder Dwarf says, nervously smoking a pipe and eyeing the Koa-toa with ill intent

3. Erik will stay with the camping party, nervously eating biscuits and keeping an eye on the fishmen, enjoying the songs from nearby. It would take some serious convincing to make him move anywhere else without the full party on board

4. Olaf will stay-right-here-thanks and nervously pet Gerdie, while he listens to Bern's song and weeps over his wounded eye. Olaf would need to be *physically picked up and moved* to leave this safe little corner of the ruined Tavern

5. The Kuo-toa will finish their meal and begin drinking from familiar jugs in the next hour (Jugs *very* similar to the one you found the Solider nursing when you discovered him). You have no idea how they may react to your groups staying and prodding between now and then (although *I* am about to...)

6. Leaving this area to fully explore areas F. (Storehouse) or G. (Suspicious Row of Pillars) during the hour will put you out of range of Bern's Healing Spell. To gain *full* benefits, you may only Investigate areas nearby his performance (there is a Stage right across from the Koa-toa, after all)

Geth roll 1d6 Fish in Their Cups

Fish in Their Cups:
    1d6 1 [1d6=1]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    OOC:Oak will stay with the soldier and give him rations, also keep him away from everyone else.

Rest of you can investigate if you want.

• Options
    Jack is still feeling the jitters from the 'fight' before and can't sit still, so he gets up and, with a dwarf in tow, begins looking around, "So. That jelly thing and the snakes. Is that... normal, here? Because I can't say it's making me feel particularly welcome."

He idly banters with Balog, having a look at the ruined tavern. There's a flit of feathers and the small griffon near crashes into him, pushing itself against his neck, "Oh, and where did you get off to then? Well, probably for the best, with the jellies around..."

Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation at C point
    Geth, roll 1d10+4+1d6 for Healing

Investigation at C point:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]
    Healing:
    1d10+4+1d6 19 [1d10=10] [1d6=5]

• Options
    OAK

The Wild Bunch rests near the ruined Stage.

"Thank you...I am, *famished*," the Soldier admits to Oak, eagerly reaching for what is offered.

The man eats...and eats...and *eats*. Oak is amazed at how fast the food seems to go from his bag to the stranger's stomach. For a time, the Forlorn Soldier stops his strange fits, and the two meeker Dwarves rest *greatfully* nearby, less on edge...

Oak, please make a Perception Check to see what you can determine from the man's current mania and mannerisms. In addition, you will find your food stock reduced by half due to the man's*ravenous* appetite

JACK

Balog joins you to examine the ruins of the tavern, following tentatively behind and watching the Koa-toa the whole time.

"*Point* is not to feel welcome!" Balog corrects Jack, gruffly. "Least, it has been..." The dwarf snorts irritably, following Jack through the weave of broken furniture and smashed tiles. "That's what we were here to try'n ta fix! Hopefully, with more foot traffic, the Sun Prince thought the place would get more and more hospitable, eventually drive out the "bad elements"...", the Dwarf is sure of the Sun Prince's plan, but seems less and less secure in his own place in that plan the more he discusses it.

"But...yeh. The snakes keep the place clean, after everything else gets done. Never seen it so personal, and *up close* before," Jack feels a slight kinship with the surly dwarf: this one hates snakes *just* as much as you do.

Jack looks around the ruined stools and tables. The place is mostly a *complete mess*: crumbling wood, corroded stone stands, debris and occasional driftwood lying everywhere. But... there's a strange scent that catches and lingers in the air. It drifts by Jack's nostrils, streaming towards the open door...

Jack, Perception Check to try and catch the scent as it goes

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Jack blinks as a scent wafts past. "Huh, wassat..." he nods to a particular pile of rubble behind the dwarf, then, when Balog's attention is taken by the bait, he turns to face away, his features growing ever so slightly longer. Nothing obvious enough from any kind of distance, but the dwarf is a touch close.

While the other is distracted he takes a deeper *sniff*.

[edit] Geth must not have liked that extra space in the equation

Glal on
  • Options
    Geth roll 2d20k1+4 for Perception

Perception:
    2d20k1+4 22 [2d20k1=[18], 5]

• Options
    edited June 2021
    JACK'S PERCEPTION
    Smells exactly like the space *just* behind the door to the Private Quarters on the Whispered Curse. The one everyone was supposed to stay away from in Captain Arabella's office, where the Governor and Reynard and Constance resided.

Specifically, there is a large space around here that smells exactly like the Edgar Brothers. One of them had a certain cologne they wore, but it's *so* overpowering that it's making it hard to pin down a location among the wreckage. Jack can't quite put his finger on it...but maybe if you had someone else take a look?

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Whats Wrong with this guy

Whats Wrong with this guy:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Urixes sits and listens to Bern's performance, reminded of his own time as a bard. It was hard for him to believe that he had once had songs and a lyre instead of eldritch blasts and spectral tentacles. Though his thoughts wander through dark paths - considering what it means to die, wondering where "he" goes between bodies and if the corpses left behind are still "him" - Bern's music is soothing, and he can't help but feel a sense of comfort.

Geth, roll 1d8+1d6+1 for Enhanced Hit Die

Enhanced Hit Die:
    1d8+1d6+1 7 [1d8=5] [1d6=1]

Denada on
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    "Wow, any chance you are related to Jack? Because you wolfed that down. Don't worry Oak, I'll make sure to memorize goodberry for the morning, so we'll be good on supplies."

Glad for the rest, Arno walks over to Olaf, and compliments his new scar. "Growing to be a real adventurer when you can start a story with a scar. Like this one I've got just above the hairline. You ever hear of a about chaos lice? Rare things, but I met a merchant once..."

But even as the story flows out, Arno's told it enough times that it only requires minimal attention. The Koa Toa need to be kept an eye on. Are they sizing us up, getting ready to turn, or might they actually be celebrating and might appreciate Bern's song? Perhaps some type of trade for info or some of their supplies. They likely speak Aquan, which is an offshoot of Primodial, which Arno knows. Arno try to listen and see if anything is inteligible.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for insight into the fishy motivations

geth roll 2d6+1d6+1 for enhanced hit die heal

insight into the fishy motivations:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]
    enhanced hit die heal:
    2d6+1d6+1 8 [2d6=1, 1] [1d6=5]

• Options
    Jack hmms, reverting back before the other turns around, "Nothing? Let me take a look..." He gives more of a visual inspection to the places he'd just smelled, but can't dig up anything more. After some more puttering around he gives up and wanders back to the main group, speaking under his breath.

"I think I smelled some of the Governor's group over there, the Edgar brothers especially, but I can't find anything useful. Someone else want to have a go?"

He spots the their guest inhaling Oak's provisions and, feeling some kinship to the man's hunger distress, walks over to him and digs up some jerky from his bag to offer it, "No no, not for you Fusspot, I think our friend here is hungrier rigth now."

• Options
    edited June 2021
    OAK’S SENSE

Oak tries to watch the Soldier without the man noticing, as the man greedily devours every bit of food put before him:
    Maybe some sort of massive tapeworm? Possibly a wasting disease? Despite his size and skill, the man looks half-starved, after all. But he hadn’t requested a single bite until just now…strange. Something is making him “sick”, but it *isn’t* just being stranded in these tunnels. Whatever it is, it hasn’t seemed to effect the man’s Constitution: Oak does *not* like the idea of having to put this guy down, taken unaware or otherwise.

ARNO’S EARS

Olaf is greatful for the care paid to his wound. Him and Erik both listen eagerly along to Arno’s stories. Later, Arno attempts to eavesdrop on the nearby Koa-toa:
    They can’t tell you speak Primordial, obviously, but they’re paranoid enough to be trying to keep quiet between themselves because they don’t trust your presence. However, as they continue to drink and the hour wears on, they begin to become louder, more boisterous. You make out the unmistakable cadence of dirty jokes, and hear smatterings of suppressed laughter from the fishman camp.

JACK’S SWORD

Jack shares some of his jerky, and as the man practically *inhales* the dried meat, the sword at his hilt speaks up in his ear:
    “The jerky was a bit closer, but still not gonna do it. *This* one gets it, just like you and I do! He isn’t sated because the *meal* isn’t right. Not what hits that *sweet spot*. Need something juicy…something wet, and tender.”

URIXES’S EYES

As Urixes ponders the space between worlds, he watches Bern set up on the stage. Almost as if in answer to the questions the Tiefling poses himself, something begins to emerge from the stage behind Bern:

Bern hasn’t noticed yet, or if he has, he’s said nothing. But the rest of the Wild Bunch sees them: a group of specters, many different races, nearly a *score* of them come to stand on the stage. The clothes look ancient, but nautical. A lot of Koa-Toa and Yuan-ti are present, but a bit of everything is represented in the gaggle of ghosts. Before Urixes has time to cry out, several move to produce what you assume to be weapons…but when their hands come up, you see what they hold are guitars, drums, pipes. Instruments.

imv3dzfuq0l4.png

While Bern the Bard sets up, the ghostly orchestra behind him prepares to join in…

Once Bern’s performance has finished, the Group may move to explore whichever area they choose. Oak has suggested the Storehouse behind the Bar, and Jack has mentioned that he smelled the Governor’s Group near a ruined section of tables and chairs. Please let me know how you intend to direct the Dwarves and the Forlorn Soldier (leave them? Do they all join you? Some? Is someone watching the Solider? ect. )

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    A ghost with a violin politely coughs, then gesture to the waiting orchestra. Bern rolls with it. Life and death are closer than you’d think.

“Omens.”, Bern says.

He stoops a little, looking very old.

“I talk a lot of omens

From the fall of Jawumens

To the Crystals of the Montrozu!

From seer to pier

I saw the sea

And knew just what to doooooo!”

The orchestra bursts into (an illusionary semblance of) life as Bern whips off his leather chest piece and begins to sing and dance about his life on the briny blue. Five minutes in it turns into a nocturne in Elvish, then continues on into a rock and roll number as Bern power slides to a sick guitar solo from a headless wraith.
    It basically goes Long John’s number in Muppet’s Treasure Island > some Hamilton song > Bohemian Rhapsody > Jailhouse Rock > Light Up the Night by Protomen, but it’s all a sea shanty and parts of it are in other languages.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    OOC: At this point, Oak thinks the soldier has completely lost it so he's not leaving him alone.

Group can decide if they want soldier to come explore or leave Oak and him here.

• Options
    OOC: Oak will be *personally* attending to the Forlorn Soldier.

Which area does the Wild Bunch choose to explore after Bern's performance? Do they bring the dwarves with them to do so, or let them stay here near the stage? And do they bring Oak and the Soldier with for the search, or leave them behind?

• Options
    "Let's start with the storehouse," Urixes says, squinting at the soldier, "See if we can't get our 'friend' his drink. Then we'll follow your nose, Jack."

• Options
    Jack shifts uncomfortably as the sword talks in his mind once more. He is still unsure whether or not the others can hear it and does not want to come across as suffering from dungeon madness (it's a real condition, an old pirate once told him!). He's about to "inconspicuously" respond when Bern puts on his show and the ghosts come out to play.

"Wow, it's just like in the stories!" With wide eyes he watches, mesmerised, until Urixes snaps him out of it, "Hm? Oh, sure, sounds like a plan, he does seem quite peckish. You know, I could go for a snack myself..." Stomach rumble.

"Something tells me he could go for something... juicy and tender. Call it gut instinct."

((OOC: Jack will follow Urixes to the storehouse ))

• Options
    Bern will be heading after the soldier when the show is through. In plain sight, but sort of, whats the phrase? Shooting distance behind him. Yeah, he’ll be around and ready to help the soldier as necessary.

• Options
    As Bern finishes his performance, the Wild Bunch quietly gathers up their group and heads for the Storeroom at the back of the Ruined Tavern. The Koa-toa have become quiet once again. They continue to mark your group with a fatigued annoyance, but none of the fishmen move to get up. Two continue to nurse their drinks defiantly as you all walk past…

STOREROOM

Pushing your way through the Front Bar, you move past the ajar Stone Circle Door and into the area behind it. You’re surprised to find a lantern in the center of the room, freshly lit, throwing light throughout the space.

It’s *mostly* destroyed shelving units throughout the room, although a few random, dusty odd bottles still sit upon the rare shelves which remain standing. At the Western Wall, a score full of dressers and cabinets lie aged or ruined, many of their drawers spilled onto the floor or completely missing. At the Northern Wall, a rough library: many of the books missing, or the pages yellowed beyond visibility, or the text is of an unreadable dialect.

The Southern Wall is where Balog finds his way to first, and he soon discovers another one of the sliding stone doors. However, there’s a problem, “It’s *jammed*,” the Dwarf grunts as he pulls against the door. “What yeh’ want’s *probably* back there, but the runner’s been warped…you’d probably get one good pull to get it back off again, or you’ll grind it in there permanently!”

Two other points of interest in the room. 1. Rats run all around the place, in and out of tiny tunnels eaten out of the debris on the floor. They seem overly nervous with the door now open, probably in fear of encroaching snakes. They have nests tucked up in places high up on the walls, where they scurry away with trash and treasure. 2. There is yet another dead body, sitting slumped over in a chair near the back of the room. You can tell; even from here. He wears the same type of sailor’s outfit you had seen upon the man in the Cube. Parts of him are missing.

OOC:Lot of options here: let me know if I missed one, and how you choose to proceed!

- The Lit Lantern suggests someone was through here, and *recently*. Do you Investigate to see if you can determine who they are, and where they went?

- The shelves throughout the place are mostly wrecked, but not entirely empty. Do you see if you can Investigate or use your Perception on the wreckage to find the man’s Forgetful Drink, or maybe something else of use?

- Dressers and Cabinets lie to the West. Maybe you can discover something useful in the drawers that remain? (Perception Check)

- A Library to the North, or what’s left of one. Maybe with an Investigation you can find something that will make your search here more efficient, or maybe you’re just looking for something to read…

- To the South, a *Jammed Stone Door*. Balog has suggested you have one chance (Strength Check) to move this thing, before it jams *permanently* onto the runner. He also thinks that’s where you’re likely to find the man’s requested beverage

- Rats fill the place, hidden in this back room locked off from the snakes. You can smell the nests all around you, filled with the leftovers and trash in the room. Maybe you can climb up, and peek into one of the larger ones? (Athletics Check) Or *maybe*, you will try to befriend the furry rodents, because that’s just the sort of person you are? (Nature Check)

- Another dead body, very familiar to the last. You may choose to Investigate it, if you like. The Forlorn Soldier will be making his way to examine the body on the end of everyone’s elses turn…

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Oak follows the solider casually as they all head for the store room, being careful to not get too close and make it clear he's watching the man, but also not straying far enough away to allow much of an action from the soldier without him being there. He isn't sure how successful he's being, but it doesn't matter as they enter the new room and find a number of different things to attract attention. There's a slew of things that need attention, and Oak had fully intended on ignoring them to focus on the soldier.

But, Balog's identification of where whatever thing this soldier is after might be stuck, behind a sliding stone door, distracts him. It's going to be strength that pulls that door free, and Oak now wrestles with which task he should actually focus on. After some mental gymnastics, he exhales loudly and walks over to the door, gripping the handle and pausing. He lets himself think of their trip, the moments where they were captured, the troll in the woods, and the attack of the undead. All moments where he felt anger at what someone else was trying to do to his crewmates. It didn't take long to work himself up, and as he started seeing red, he wrench against the door with all his might.

OOC: Burning a rage here to get advantage. Am I allowed to know the DC of this if I want to burn my inspiration?

Geth, roll 2d20k1+4 for STR

STR:
    2d20k1+4 18 [2d20k1=[14], 6]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    OOC: DCs are pretty much 15 across the board for the tasks here, with bonus goods/info/success coming on an 18 or higher!

• Options
    Jack gives the camping Koa-toa a cheerful wave and makes some complex arm motions that indicate he'd love to talk to them, but he's busy right now, but maybe in a minute? Yeah, see you then! He follows the rest into the storeroom and looks around.

After the sword's words he's now aware of the pit in his stomach and the scent of rats around them makes it rumble once more. Mmm. Could go for a nice rat. "I'm gonna have... a peek." He clambers up one of the shelving units to look into one of the obvious nests.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]

• Options
    Urixes moves straight for what's left of the library, wondering if there might be any secrets remaining here, arcane or otherwise...

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Investigation Check

Investigation Check:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Digging in, Oak manages to *SLAM* his weight against the circular stone at just the proper angle, and the passageway slides open cleanly! The stone *locks* into place. Deep within lies the glittering and tincture filled hidden-stockroom of the Grey Maw’s Tavern…

zx6oevphdsr1.png

A hundred and a score different bottles, easily: broken off into four distinct separated sections among the shelves. Dust covers most of the room, but Oak sees a single set of footprints recently placed along the floor, dainty and small. The footsteps walk near the blue bottles and the green bottles *only*

At the south wall, Oak sees something: the back wall is storage for whole rows of jugs, each of which your comrades would recognize as *identical* to the one the Forlorn Soldier was holding when he was stumbled upon in the tunnel.

Oak has a hundred plus different bottles in front of him. They basically break into four categories: the red bottles, the green bottles, the purple bottles, and the blue bottles. Of the four, it looks as if only blue and green bottles have been handled recently. Between the blue and green bottles, there are probably about…*forty distinct containers in front of him (18 blue, 22 green), to Investigate or Roll the Dice on…

Jack manages to scale the side of a downed bit of shelving, and peer inside one of the bigger nests. It goes back maybe twenty feet into the wall, all the way up and out of the Grey Maw’s architecture. From the *very* back, the glimmer of gold and bottles glints off the lit lantern behind you. The rats have built themselves *quite* a treasure trove in there…but it’s also *very* well-guarded. Soon, rats *dart* down the nest towards Jack’s face, and it’s all he can do to get away and catch himself before the entire shelf below him collapses. Smacking his ass on the way down, Jack hears the chatter and hiss of the rodents far up above him, *fiercely* calling their comrades to guard their lair…

The Rats are now on guard for intrusions into their lair!

Urixes’s examination of the Ruined Library yields *surprising* results from amongst the Tattered Tomes:

-Drinks Menu- A frayed, but *illustrated*, explanation of the stock available at the Ruined Tavern. It breaks the selection down into four different menus: Recreational, Medicinal, Toxic/Poisonous, “Other”: or, Red Bottles, Green Bottles, Purple Bottles, and Blue Bottles, respectively. It’s not written in any language Urixes is familiar with, but Arno might be able to decipher the words

-Bar Manual-An illustrated map of the Bar. It clearly indicates a hidden passage North through the Stage somehow, and something resembling locked cages through the pillars at the South of the Room

-Grey Maw Note-A structural document, tucked in amongst the frayed books. It’s missing some pages, but seems to be an update to a previous document on passages and walls within the Dam’s infrastructure… The Grey Maw note contains additions to your Map, indicating several secret rooms and passages. Your map has been updated to reflect this knowledge!

Sadly, achingly, the Forlorn Soldier approaches the eaten body slumped across the chair…

OOC:Oak has secured access to the Hidden Storeroom, and *everyone* gets a shot at this! With Oak’s eyes, and Urixes’s found knowledge along the shelves, you’ve determined the following: the Forlorn Soldier was given either a Blue or a Green bottle to “forget”, and it is one of the *forty* potions in front of you. If Arno can roll a proper Intelligence Check to read the "Drinks Manual" (DC-16), the knowledge to ID the right bottle will drop to a (DC-16) for all! Otherwise, the Check to ID the right bottle will be an Investigation (DC-20) for *everyone*, except Jack and Arno (Perception DC-16) who got a proper, heightened *sniff* of the liquid as the man destroyed it.

You may also attempt to *wing it*, and see if you can find the right (or wrong!) bottle out of sheer, dumb luck (Proper d20). I’m also eager to see whatever else the Wild Bunch may imagine here, with a strange snake stocked bar…

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Grunt. Grunt. Climb. With one last huff he pulls himself level with the nest and peers inside. "Ooooh, I think I can see something shiny in there, gu..." There's a tidal wave of rats and, while normally rats are a tasty snack more than anything, he didn't really expect an army of them in his face.

He pulls his head back with a yelp, followed by a wooden *crack!* and he's momentarily staring at a piece of shelving in his arm before gravity realises he's lost his handhold and welcomes him in its embrace. He lands on his butt with an "Oof!", the piece of shelving tumbling off away from him.

"...I think I made them mad." He gets back up, rubbing his butt and hobbles closer to the nook Oak's discovered. Hmm. He goes to step forward, then glances at the dwarves and seems to change his mind. Instead he just picks up some of the bottles and gives them a sniff.

Geth, roll 1d20 for Investigation

Investigation:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

• Options
    The door opened, Oak's eyes scan over the multitude of bottles revealed. The soldier's drink is somewhere here, but it's going to take some sleuthing to be able to find it. The Shifter turns his head to see if the soldier was rushing forward, wondering if he would just start drinking whatever he could find, but instead sees him approaching the body slumped over a chair. Leaving the storeroom entrance, he heads over to the soldier, quietly standing a pace away for a moment before speaking. "Someone ya knew?"

OOC:Without Arno's help, Oak literally can't pass a DC 20 investigation check with his -1, so good luck smart people!

• Options
    edited July 2021
    JACK

In the storeroom, Jack *sniffs* at the row of bottles, trying to find a familiar scent among the potions. The tinctures all have strange and heady notes, and Jack feels himself getting dizzy and having to take the occasional break to keep his head from spinning. He doesn't quite find what he's looking for, but he does manage to narrow down the selection a bit...

OOC:Jack hasn't found the Forget-Me-Now Potion, but he *has* narrowed down the potential possibilities (Once everyone has Investigated ( @Denada @zekebeau @Endless_Serpents ), if you guys haven't determined the specific bottle, you *will* have determined at least which ones it *might* be)

OAK

The Forlorn Soldier nods slowly. "F-former sailor, on the Intrepid," the man stammers, reaching out tentatively, slowly, to lay a gentle hand on the body. "...Reagan. Was our Ship's 2nd Mate. Funny fellow, but a bit of a loner..."

Oak, a knife sticks out of the sitting man's upper back, a look of surprise still upon his face. It looks like much of his lower section has been eaten away by something (roll Medicine to determine exactly what). The man has the same clothing as the dead body in the Cube and the Forlorn Soldier, and the same thin, emaciated look.

The Soldier lowers his head, speaking softly, reverently. He speaks as if the thoughts are returning to him in the moment. "Reagan kept our spirits up, even for the first couple weeks after the food ran out. He ran off, after..." The Soldier trails off, his eyes staring unfocused at something only he can see. The man rubs his face with both hands vigorously, as if attempting to rub away the thoughts in his mind. Through his hands and unbidden, Oak hears the soldier bitterly whisper the words, "Never saw it coming..."

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Medicine

Medicine:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]

• Options
    OAK

Whatever it was, it stripped the left leg *fully* clean, and was able to take its time at its meal. There's a very minimal amount of blood on the floor, which is highly strange, given the massive damage done to this man

• Options
    Oak stares at a body that was clearly decimated by something strange, unable to picture what could have done this so easily. His mind jumps to the snakes they saw chewing up the cube, and wonders if there might be a connection there. That thought leads to his eyes scanning the walls, looking for similar holes. He wonders about the knife as well, but doesn't want to dwell on that much.

To the mourning soldier, he simply states quietly, "Sorry 'bout the loss of yer mate. We build a small set of kin from them we travel with." His eyes drift to the rest of the Wild Bunch. "Best you can do for now is honor him by getting out to tell his story."

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Investigation

Keeping back a ways, Bern tries to look un less obvious places, like under this damp rug in the corner…

Investigation:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

• Options
    BERN

Bern searches the racks, shelves, and floor near the "Other" section of the storeroom...

One of two blue bottles have been disturbed *very* recently upon the shelves: this one has a restless, massive serpent upon the label, while this one has a *giant* sleeping fish upon it. It's obvious the draught the Soldier searches for is one of these two bottles...
    One potion to make someone forget: one potion to grow a giant. Do you bring the Forlorn Solider his draught of choice? Do you take anything else away from the abandoned storeroom? And what do you tell the Soldier for the last time, should he put the Forget-Me-Now drink to his lips?[/I]

• Options
    OOC: Sorry everyone, busy days at work! Urixes is surely scowling and searching...

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Investigation Check

Investigation Check:
    1d20+5 15 [1d20=10]