Options

[PC Build Thread] So many awesome new parts that no one can buy. %$*! scalpers.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been seen or posted yet: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/rtx-3090-out-september-24/?ncid=afm-chs-44270&ranMID=44270&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-T7P6j9KWjF0cgDT6IbS3lw

Nvidia basically confirming the 3090 is only 10-15% better than the 3080 at 4k, and that it really is not meant for average gamers. They are clearly trying to push it as a prosumer card, really meant for professionals and people at the extreme edge of performance.

So that basically puts that all to bed.

This has to mean that sub-4k the difference is even less, right?

So is the 3080 Ti really just $300 more for 10 GB more memory? That seems like a really bad deal!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The 3080 is going to be a legendary card for a while, the 8800 GTX or 5970

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I want to get a 3080/70 but see no reason to over pay for one. I've got plenty of stuff to play on my 1060.

The supply will come out eventually.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So this is pure speculation, but my guess is that the reason we got no 3080 Ti this time is because the 3080 really is the top end of what Ampere on the 8nm Samsung process can do at consumer grade pricing. It seems likely to me that an eventual 3080 Ti would be an Ampere chip on Samsung's 5nm with more full SM's packed on to a slightly smaller total chip package. If they do release a 3080 20 GB, I think it will be just that, a 3080 20 GB. It would explain why there is a huge 1000 dollar hole in their price stack.
    Not sure if this has been seen or posted yet: https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/rtx-3090-out-september-24/?ncid=afm-chs-44270&ranMID=44270&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-T7P6j9KWjF0cgDT6IbS3lw

Nvidia basically confirming the 3090 is only 10-15% better than the 3080 at 4k, and that it really is not meant for average gamers. They are clearly trying to push it as a prosumer card, really meant for professionals and people at the extreme edge of performance.

You joining the 3080 crew or just staying put?

Haven't decided yet. We'll see what happens in the morning. If I can get a 3090 in a cart, I may pull the trigger...but if I do stand firm, I'll wait until after Big Navi is announced, and whatever Nvidia's response to Big Navi ends up being.

I'm not against paying an ultra premium price for "the best", but I certainly think the 3090 is not a card most people should even consider.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    EVGA's site briefly showed "add to cart" and is now not working at all, lel.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

12 minutes later, their site is still borked af.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

You know at least they're saying things and admitting problems, unlike Nvidia.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So this is pure speculation, but my guess is that the reason we got no 3080 Ti this time is because the 3080 really is the top end of what Ampere on the 8nm Samsung process can do at consumer grade pricing. It seems likely to me that an eventual 3080 Ti would be an Ampere chip on Samsung's 5nm with more full SM's packed on to a slightly smaller total chip package. If they do release a 3080 20 GB, I think it will be just that, a 3080 20 GB. It would explain why there is a huge 1000 dollar hole in their price stack.

Haven't decided yet. We'll see what happens in the morning. If I can get a 3090 in a cart, I may pull the trigger...but if I do stand firm, I'll wait until after Big Navi is announced, and whatever Nvidia's response to Big Navi ends up being.

I'm not against paying an ultra premium price for "the best", but I certainly think the 3090 is not a card most people should even consider.

I'm going to have to wait to see how the partner cards with better power delivery clock. Theoretically, a fairly small clock improvement could be decent gains with the extra SMs.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

12 minutes later, their site is still borked af.

This sucks, I successfully got a 3080 FTW in my cart, but I got an error on going to checkout. Likely going to lose it :(

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I mean, they could "optimize" things by implementing something smart, like a queue or even a raffle system, instead of this free-for-all shit that succeeds in just pissing everyone.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I can always get it into the cart, just never checked out. Done that 4 times now on newegg. Those notification services are pretty handy.

I still have my back order in at cc though, 34th in queue now for a TUF, down from 61.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Got through everything except my card errord out when checking out?? Was super cool. Then they were gone before I got a chance to try paypal/dif card.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

I'm going to have to wait to see how the partner cards with better power delivery clock. Theoretically, a fairly small clock improvement could be decent gains with the extra SMs.

This is why I'm undecided. If I can get an EVGA FTW or something of that class, with decent power delivery and possible OC headroom, I might pull the trigger. I expect the mid to high end cards to go quick though. At 1500+ dollars, if you're in for a basket, you're in for a bushel, might as well get the best card possible.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    After the 3090 drops tomorrow 99% of the Ebay auctions for the 3080 will have to delist and relist.

I have seen a few start going with straight bidding as opposed to a list price already and they're all sub 1000.

I really hope the scalpers get burned by this.

I'm sure a few people bought some, but it almost seems universally that no one wants to give scalpers money which is so bizarre of something to witness on shit like this.

Like my video card is a 1080, it's oldish but I'll make do until new stock comes out. Keep fucking yourself over buying all the supply with your bots then go bankrupt and never be able to do this again as you die from credit card debt eating you alive.

If it's scalpers and bots, 99.999% they're using stolen card numbers so no such luck

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not super surprised about the 3090 not being an order of magnitude better for gaming than the 3080. the gap between the 2080Ti and the Titan RTX wasn't particularly big either. I agree this doesn't appear to leave much performance headroom in the stack for a 3080Ti though.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I really hope someone can review the 3090 with the pimax 8K VR headset.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

And lets be clear, it's maybe even a better deal compared to the $2.5k titan RTX as the 3080 is to the various Turing gamer cards. As long as you don't need the full precision floating point operations

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

This is why I'm undecided. If I can get an EVGA FTW or something of that class, with decent power delivery and possible OC headroom, I might pull the trigger. I expect the mid to high end cards to go quick though. At 1500+ dollars, if you're in for a basket, you're in for a bushel, might as well get the best card possible.

Honestly, we both have 2080TIs and we can afford to wait a bit. I just need to keep telling myself that. :P

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Holy shit, managed to get a 3080 FE order in! Thanks @Spoit for the heads up! Wouldn't have gotten it without you! Nvidia had another set of cards go on sale tonight at like 9:40 PM PT. A few of us in chat managed to get to the site and get it in our carts, but we got stuck on the add to cart page because it refused to go to the cart. @Spoit got us a link to the cart URL and I was able to do it from there. Holy shit, still stressed about it. Anyway, I guess it's not 100% confirmed yet, I got an email that my order was received and that they were processing the payment, and my credit card has a pending charge on it, so things are looking positive, but I guess it's entirely possible tomorrow they'll go, "Sorry, too many people ordered, we're cancelling your order" or something. The Discord I was in that is full of thirsty people trying to order 3080's had quite a few people get it, too, so I think it was a pretty substantial amount of cards. Anyway, it feels like they really are getting the cards out there and there's just an absurdly large demand for them.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    What's the top EVGA category? FTW Ultra?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dhalphir wrote: »

yeah, FTW3 ultra. Well the tippy top is kingpin, but they haven't even mentioned when that will be available

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

yeah, FTW3 ultra. Well the tippy top is kingpin, but they haven't even mentioned when that will be available

Kingpin out of the box might be on par or even a little worse than the FTW3 Ultra.

Thats an OC hobbyist card

• Options
    edited September 2020
    The Asus TUF and the EVGA XC3 are the two I'm eyeing. If I can get either in a cart, I'll probably pull the trigger. Outside of those two I'll just wait.

e: I meant the TUF and XC3. Not willing to pay the extra 300 bucks for 75 mhz of stock boost clock.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Is the MSI Overclocking Scanner any good?

It's giving me weird outcomes.

Running my 1080Ti at completely default settings;

olblm5izdkpa.png

Results in this; https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/50776946?

Whereas running it at the tested settings that the scanner came at me with;

hg6b1gakmm83.png

Results in this; https://www.3dmark.com/spy/14090042

You'll note that in both cases my temps never go above 70C, 66C in the case of the "overclocked" settings. Not sure if my case is just super good at cooling or if something is preventing the GPU from being properly utilized. My CPU is watercooled but only with a H60, nothing excessive, and the GPU is just on its stock cooler. My case has relatively good airflow, lots of heat always pouring out the top under load. According to Afterburner, GPU usage for both benchmarks was at max.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Scalpers can go to hell, quite frankly. They're pure parasites who add no value to any part of the process, and in a sane world, what they do would be called what it is: stealing.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So I've lived in a new apartment for a little while and finally got my ass fixing stuff instead of living in a castle of boxes. I aim to get a bunch of stuff bought/done this winter and one thing is a new rig.

Best case would be to fit my stationary in the bedroom, which would be a bit tight. Any tips for desk setups? I've looked at a lot of "gaming" desks but anything goes if I can hide some cables and make it work. I intend to get the computer off the floor in some way and also drill a hole in a wall to connect it to a tv as well.

One issue is I wont have tons of space I'm depth, if I could make it work with a 60cm deep desk that would be optimal.

I'll take any advice on cases as well! I've used the same second hand one all my adult life but it's time I bought a nice one on black friday.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    I'm awake...going to see how this 3090 frenzy goes. Expecting chaos and frustration.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, payment went through!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I wonder how many people chasing a 3090 will be in the "well there aren't any 3080s I can buy for less than what a 3090 costs, so I might as well" group?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Got a 3090. The EVGA XC3 Ultra. Got it at Newegg, should be here Monday.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Was Cell really underpowered? I thought the issue was it was just really difficult to write optimized code for.

Nah, it was 8 core chips (1 for running the OS, 6 for running games, 1 unused for maximising silicon yields from the foundry allowing for 1 of 8 cores to be non-functional per unit item) for raw PowerPC grunt, but developers had no fucking idea what to do with it. Which was the primary, secondary, and tertiary issue with that console.

Sony wanted to overtly and obviously out-power the competition, and they did, but nobody knew how to write shit for it.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

I was trying to buy one for my bro. I was already logged in, got it into my cart and Newegg made me log in again. At that point I knew it was over.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    And now Newegg is shitting itself lol...I happened to refresh right at 5:59 and Add to Cart was there. Hit it, got it ordered, and checked my order was really placed right before their servers crapped out haha.
    A duck! wrote: »

I was trying to buy one for my bro. I was already logged in, got it into my cart and Newegg made me log in again. At that point I knew it was over.

Doh. So close.

I actually had the page preloaded in my browser when I woke up this morning. Newegg had posted the link to all their 3090 pages, so I just had it loaded and ready to go. I happened to refresh at 5:59 and that was what made me win the proverbial lottery I think, is that I checked a minute early.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What are y'all using for stock alerts? Besides Spoit, I mean. :lol:

There was a discord channel with a bot that had alerts and a bunch of people looking to buy 3080's. @Spoit can probably get you a link.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I wonder how many people chasing a 3090 will be in the "well there aren't any 3080s I can buy for less than what a 3090 costs, so I might as well" group?

I imagine more than zero but less than the number of people who are more willing to settle for a 3070.

I'm still guessing that AMD has nothing because oh boy would this be the time to capitalize on everyone's anger by "leaking" some specs out. Like, they may run into the same shit, but nobody will care.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2020
    Thawmus wrote: »

I imagine more than zero but less than the number of people who are more willing to settle for a 3070.

I'm still guessing that AMD has nothing because oh boy would this be the time to capitalize on everyone's anger by "leaking" some specs out. Like, they may run into the same shit, but nobody will care.

Some places are hoping for AMD to come swooping in to save the day, and they're going to have to deal with this exact same situation next month. It's like they forgot that the 3000 series CPUs were extremely difficult to get for few months, and that was before every electronic device (consoles, phones, these GPUs) blew through stock in seconds. This shitshow is going to go on until next year.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Just watching reviews now. Basically exactly what I expected, and doesn't change my purchase decision. Most people don't need and shouldn't buy a 3090, and I agree with that. It's objectively stupidly fast, but it is very bad value if you aren't in the very narrow set of use cases.

A lot of reviewers are also noting that there is definitely CPU bottle necking, even on a 10900K. That means the 3090 likely has headroom to give once we start to get faster CPU's and/or games start to get better optimized for high core counts.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

AMD's marketing team seem to have some kind of feud with the GPU division.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm shocked they didn't release some benchmarks and open up preorders. Would have been a huge marketing win.

This discussion has been closed.