As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] So many awesome new parts that no one can buy. %$*! scalpers.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think the lesson here is we all need to get more comfortable soldering and just repair any mice that break ourselves :P

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The internet will tell you that MadCatz R.A.T. mice are trash, but my RAT7 lasted 9 years and now I'm onto a RAT8+.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I think the lesson here is we all need to get more comfortable soldering and just repair any mice that break ourselves :P

Honestly, mice switches should be more easily replaceable. That's pretty much the thing that will die given enough time in a mouse.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    In completely different news, if I were in the market for a mouse, what's the recommendation for those?

I adore my Logitech G502. It looks weird, but it's super comfortable and smooth and weighty and performant.

G502 squad represent

I wish they didn't look like fucking spaceships.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I have had loads more good experiences with wired mice over wireless. That includes switches and overall performance

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Any good resources to keep up with when I can try to get a 3080 or should I just be occasionally refreshing amazon/best buy/etc?

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Any good resources to keep up with when I can try to get a 3080 or should I just be occasionally refreshing amazon/best buy/etc?

auto notify and hope they have enough stock before the bots eat them up

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I have an MX Revolution mouse that must be from 2007 or 2008. Still going though the battery only holds a charge for a few days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I've had a Cougar Minos X3 for a little over 3 years since my generic simple logitech mouse of 10 or so years died.

I've been quite happy with it, though I'm probably not as rough on my mice as some of you are. It's also the only RGB my computer has.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Samsung 980 Pro drives are up for pre-order on newegg now, they have up to 1TB (scheduled for release on Oct 12). 2TB models are slated to arrive later, and are not up for pre-order yet.

nusu on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah, I got a notification yesterday that Best Buy had one. Before I could even refresh the store page, they were out of stock. /eyeroll

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular

Yeah, I got a notification yesterday that Best Buy had one. Before I could even refresh the store page, they were out of stock. /eyeroll

Which model?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I just backordered the MSI trio via CDW. Estimated ship date is Oct. 9th. We'll see. A bit of a price jump, but I don't have time to F5 constantly.

I had the Gigabyte one in my cart yesterday in Best Buy, but it was removed on hitting checkout.

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »

Which model?

I want to say it was an MSI one but I can't swear to that now and I've deleted the notice.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    nusu wrote: »
    Samsung 980 Pro drives are up for pre-order on newegg now, they have up to 1TB (scheduled for release on Oct 12). 2TB models are slated to arrive later, and are not up for pre-order yet.

For the record, XPG Gammix is the current speed king, and other OEMs are producting quality NVMe PCIE 4 drives: Sabrent, ADATA, Seagate (yep, they're doing NVMEs now) just to name a few. Samsung doesn't justify the price premium anymore, imo.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »

For the record, XPG Gammix is the current speed king, and other OEMs are producting quality NVMe PCIE 4 drives: Sabrent, ADATA, Seagate (yep, they're doing NVMEs now) just to name a few. Samsung doesn't justify the price premium anymore, imo.

Seeing the benchmarks come in on Anandtech and TomsHardware, I may just order a Phison e16 controller drive, or wait and see how the e18 does (the initial speed info on those is faster than the 980s). It's weird seeing a PCIE Gen 3 ssd be effectively faster than the PCIE Gen 4s outside of sustained read/write.

• Options
    My vendor said they can't even get any 3080s.

Looks like it's just the big retailers then.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The TUF 3080 is showing up on amazon but with a Oct. 16 ship date. Also it won't let me actually add it to my cart.
    edit: Aaaand it's gone

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    There was an EVGA model on Amazon for a minute as well.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    G502 is the way to go. Logi has great customer support too, my old model G502 developed a weird high pitched squeal whenever I used the scroll wheel, logitech shipped me out a new one, no questions asked, and since they didn't make the old model anymore upgraded me to the latest Hero model for "free".

Story Time:

So I dunno if anybody remembers but a couple years ago I built a new system based on a i5-8600. Didn't need the k and certainly didn't need the i7, great way to save money, system has been rocking ever since.

A couple weeks ago a good friend of mine contacted me to say that some pos 2 year old dell with a i7-8700 died. It's past warranty and he spent 2 weeks at work trying to figure out wtf happened. At this point he can't figure it out but all signs point to the mobo being bad. He doesn't have any other machines that'll slot that processor and I'm the only person he knows with that socket so he gave it to me for free.

I'm thinking, huh, neat way to go from 6 cores to 12 cores (hyperthreaded) for free, so why not. (note, realistically going from a 8600 to a 8700 will get you 1%... maaaybe 2% of a performance upgrade, this is a stupid upgrade, nobody should do this).

Anyways, finally get around to doing the swap tonight. took the system apart, marveled at how tiny this mITX system I built is, cleaned everything up, put the new processor is in, put everything back together, hit the power button, fans spin up aaaaaaaaand nothing.

long story short, the processor is dead. Took everything apart, put the i5 back in, put everything back together, and I'm good to go. But what a fucking weird thing. What in the hell would take out a processor that was in just a bog standard dell that wasn't being overclocked or anything like that. I've just never heard of a processor dying like this before.

On the plus side I gave everything a good clean and I'm really good at cleaning and reapplying thermal paste and then reattaching my low-profile Noctua cooler now lol.

Shit PSU that surged and fried the CPU?

ya that's the only thing we can think of, but for it to go through the motherboard and fry the processor is pretty freaking weird.
    edit - also it seems like the PSU will still turn on/works so I don't even

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    G502 is the way to go. Logi has great customer support too, my old model G502 developed a weird high pitched squeal whenever I used the scroll wheel, logitech shipped me out a new one, no questions asked, and since they didn't make the old model anymore upgraded me to the latest Hero model for "free".

Story Time:

So I dunno if anybody remembers but a couple years ago I built a new system based on a i5-8600. Didn't need the k and certainly didn't need the i7, great way to save money, system has been rocking ever since.

A couple weeks ago a good friend of mine contacted me to say that some pos 2 year old dell with a i7-8700 died. It's past warranty and he spent 2 weeks at work trying to figure out wtf happened. At this point he can't figure it out but all signs point to the mobo being bad. He doesn't have any other machines that'll slot that processor and I'm the only person he knows with that socket so he gave it to me for free.

I'm thinking, huh, neat way to go from 6 cores to 12 cores (hyperthreaded) for free, so why not. (note, realistically going from a 8600 to a 8700 will get you 1%... maaaybe 2% of a performance upgrade, this is a stupid upgrade, nobody should do this).

Anyways, finally get around to doing the swap tonight. took the system apart, marveled at how tiny this mITX system I built is, cleaned everything up, put the new processor is in, put everything back together, hit the power button, fans spin up aaaaaaaaand nothing.

long story short, the processor is dead. Took everything apart, put the i5 back in, put everything back together, and I'm good to go. But what a fucking weird thing. What in the hell would take out a processor that was in just a bog standard dell that wasn't being overclocked or anything like that. I've just never heard of a processor dying like this before.

On the plus side I gave everything a good clean and I'm really good at cleaning and reapplying thermal paste and then reattaching my low-profile Noctua cooler now lol.

Shit PSU that surged and fried the CPU?

ya that's the only thing we can think of, but for it to go through the motherboard and fry the processor is pretty freaking weird.
    edit - also it seems like the PSU still still turn on too so I don't even

Could be a VRM or Cap went and caused an on-board short/surge? I wouldn't be surprised there isn't any immediately visible "damage" on the board. Some of these components get pretty small.

• Options
    hi6ijgutvcbg.png

So close. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Holy shit I got one!

zs8kg1v39okd.png

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Eyyyy, grats! I'm still waiting for the 3090 reviews before I even try out of some weird hope that the leaked benchmarks were wrong and a 3080 Ti will be worth waiting for.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Holy shit I got one!

zs8kg1v39okd.png

Get them.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    cardboard delusions is a shopping bot confirmed.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    How'd y'all know to look? I've got like sixteen different notification alarms set.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    How'd y'all know to look? I've got like sixteen different notification alarms set.

yeah I'm definitely watching those items and nothing ever popped for me anywhere

I'm about ready to write my own bot to order that shit for me

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

yeah I'm definitely watching those items and nothing ever popped for me anywhere

As long as you are ordering for self use, and are fine with maybe accidentally ending up with 100 video cards, I don't see why using a bit to get a card wouldn't be ethical.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Holy shit I got one!

zs8kg1v39okd.png

hax

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Someone had commented the ASUS TUF was on Amazon here, I have the tabs open so just hit refresh a bunch and saw 'Buy Now' and clicked as quick as possible.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Someone had commented the ASUS TUF was on Amazon here, I have the tabs open so just hit refresh a bunch and saw 'Buy Now' and clicked as quick as possible.

So you are saying that we are the bot.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Like, I can't even find any actual pages for any 3080s on Amazon. Even when I plug in a specific card's model number (for example: "TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING"), I get a bunch of random things that might be close (including all the ASUS TUF motherboards).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Like, I can't even find any actual pages for any 3080s on Amazon. Even when I plug in a specific card's model number (for example: "TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING"), I get a bunch of random things that might be close (including all the ASUS TUF motherboards).

Try this link.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Not Yet Shipped

I hope it actually shows up (and it's not a 1060 in the box)

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Try this link.

Honestly? This all pisses me off so damned much. Between the Amazon PS5 link that was in the Geoff Keighley tweet and that link you just posted working, but searching the exact names of the product that the links eventually go to not pulling anything? I'm just...WTF Amazon?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Trying to find specific products on Amazon has gotten really hard lately. For example, If I want to find the price a specific memory kit on Amazon I'll usually find it on Newegg and then Google search using the model number to find it on Amazon. Amazon's filters have also always been absolute trash. Even if you can narrow a search down to a specific type of product we now have to sift through "sponsored" items and multitudes of generic rebadged items from a company with a gibberish name.

Let's not even get into the paid review issues and whether or not you can trust any review on the site.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jesus christ some people are unbelievably disgusting

Greetings, this is more of a message than a sale, but if you do actually bid, I will thank you in advance. You are helping me donate 70% of the proceeds to St Judes Childrens Hospital which is a non profit hospital that specializes treatment of children with cancer. I will use the 30% left over money to help fund the purchase of the RTX 3080 retail (when avalaible) and not from scalpers. Item for sale is a printed photo of my PC with the RTX 3080 installed (when available) via USPS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-RTX-3080-10GB-GDDR6X-Founders-Edition-Read-before-bid/154098195335?hash=item23e0f7db87:g:wjEAAOSwnwpfaYv4

TL;DR - Give me $1000 for nothing and I'll donate $700 to charity and keep $300 for myself, aren't I amazing?

I do love how they made it seem like a legit item but put it in the fine print that it's a "message."

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Trying to find specific products on Amazon has gotten really hard lately. For example, If I want to find the price a specific memory kit on Amazon I'll usually find it on Newegg and then Google search using the model number to find it on Amazon. Amazon's filters have also always been absolute trash. Even if you can narrow a search down to a specific type of product we now have to sift through "sponsored" items and multitudes of generic rebadged items from a company with a gibberish name.

Let's not even get into the paid review issues and whether or not you can trust any review on the site.

If I can avoid using Amazon I absolutely do.

If a website from a company directs to their Amazon store, at least I know I'm getting legit items.

If a trusted review site links me to a product, at least there's a good chance it's the correct one.

I do not enter items in the Amazon search bar because there's a 99% chance the first 3 pages will be knock offs and rip offs.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

As long as you are ordering for self use, and are fine with maybe accidentally ending up with 100 video cards, I don't see why using a bit to get a card wouldn't be ethical.

Nah I wouldn't be doing it like that if I did it.

If I did, I'm pretty sure I could find people to buy them for my cost + shipping, ain't looking to make a buck, just want to make sure actual users get them.

This discussion has been closed.