Options

[PC Build Thread] So many awesome new parts that no one can buy. %$*! scalpers.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    emp123 wrote: »
    Hey GnomeTank can you post a picture of your 3090 when you get it installed? Some of the photos have it making ATX boards look like ITX boards and thats hard to wrap my brain around.

O11 Dynamic mid size case

bd1bei4qpzlg.jpg

The 3090 is a fucking chonker

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    RTX 3090 drops need to be the new old meme.

That thing is fucking enormous.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Hey GnomeTank can you post a picture of your 3090 when you get it installed? Some of the photos have it making ATX boards look like ITX boards and thats hard to wrap my brain around.

bd1bei4qpzlg.jpg

Perfection

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Aretè wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    For most people, absolutely, the 3080 + a better panel is the correct advice.

For someone like me with a 2080 Ti, who pushes that card to it's limit already, the 3090 is a massive jump forward. As compared to the 3080 it may not be, but as compared to the 2080 Ti that I already have it is....and if I was willing to spend 1300 dollars on that two years ago, it doesn't seem like such a strange leap to go with the 3090 this time. My issue with channels like Hardware Unboxed, and Steve's review, is the patronizing of the viewer. With the implication that anyone buying this thing must be a base idiot and not understand a dollar per frame graph.

I didnt mind the GN review so much but I think my favorite bit from the reviews I watched was from, Pauls Hardware, maybe? They were comparing the costs of the 3090 not as related to the 3080 but how it compared to the Titan RTX and the 2080 TI. So, relevant to bolded bit in your quote, I got the 2080 ti for roughly 1,200 I want to say, so dropping ~1499 on the 3090 is too far out of what is palatable to me. I do admit I was hoping for some real BDE from the 3090 but as it is, still get a significant jump over the 2080 ti.

Now if I even find one is another question, I was on best buy and new egg at 8:50 am and refreshed till 9 and still got bupkis.

JayZ had the same basic analysis.

I'm honestly OK with GN's take too. Steve's ire wasn't directed at consumers for 'being dumb', but at Nvidia for marketing the card as a 'pro gaming' card when it's clearly a workstation/productivity card like the titans it is replacing.

Not only that, but it's a workstation card without the workstation dedicated drivers.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Mvrck wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Aretè wrote: »
    For most people, absolutely, the 3080 + a better panel is the correct advice.

For someone like me with a 2080 Ti, who pushes that card to it's limit already, the 3090 is a massive jump forward. As compared to the 3080 it may not be, but as compared to the 2080 Ti that I already have it is....and if I was willing to spend 1300 dollars on that two years ago, it doesn't seem like such a strange leap to go with the 3090 this time. My issue with channels like Hardware Unboxed, and Steve's review, is the patronizing of the viewer. With the implication that anyone buying this thing must be a base idiot and not understand a dollar per frame graph.

I didnt mind the GN review so much but I think my favorite bit from the reviews I watched was from, Pauls Hardware, maybe? They were comparing the costs of the 3090 not as related to the 3080 but how it compared to the Titan RTX and the 2080 TI. So, relevant to bolded bit in your quote, I got the 2080 ti for roughly 1,200 I want to say, so dropping ~1499 on the 3090 is too far out of what is palatable to me. I do admit I was hoping for some real BDE from the 3090 but as it is, still get a significant jump over the 2080 ti.

Now if I even find one is another question, I was on best buy and new egg at 8:50 am and refreshed till 9 and still got bupkis.

JayZ had the same basic analysis.

I'm honestly OK with GN's take too. Steve's ire wasn't directed at consumers for 'being dumb', but at Nvidia for marketing the card as a 'pro gaming' card when it's clearly a workstation/productivity card like the titans it is replacing.

Not only that, but it's a workstation card without the workstation dedicated drivers.

It's not a workstation GPU, but it can do some workstation tasks via sheer brute force of it's datacenter architecture. It's not a TI or a Titan. It's the 9980XE to the 3080's 9900K.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

bd1bei4qpzlg.jpg

Why is Linus shoving an oXbox into his PC case?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Just a heads up, the 3090 weighs 4.8 pounds.

I would definitely purchase a GPU brace.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Just a heads up, the 3090 weighs 4.8 pounds.

I would definitely purchase a GPU brace.

I just did.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

Yeah, I'll post something once I get it. I was kind of chuckling to myself today about whether I'd need to swap my cases around, since the 3090 is going in my regular O11 Dynamic, not my 011 Dynamic XL. I AM going to be swapping the power supplies. Thankfully they are both EVGA modulars, so it's a very easy change...but the 1000W needs to go in the 3090 machine.

Also, it shipped, so it's real:
    vmTeA4X.png

e: Fun side note, the XC3 Ultra Gaming actually comes with a GPU brace in the box.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't see the point of AMD releasing anything right now. Demand for 3080s outstrips supply so vastly that nothing they do is going to stop these cards from selling out. The best that might happen is demand drops a bit and scalpers charge less, but that's zero benefit to AMD. They are better off doing what most sane companies do, announce details just before you can actually buy the things.

Dude, AMD's high demand shit was sold out constantly (3950X, 3600, and 5700XT) and they are absolutely horrible at meeting demand.

You will not get a better launch from them. They will get scalped, and you will be waiting to purchase one.

I don't think anyone is saying AMD is necessarily better - they are just expressing that the only real market alternative, other than not buying anything at all, is to buy the competitor's product. So if AMD actually had something to sell, there would at least be an option to express your distaste for NVIDIA's tactics. Which isn't to say that AMD couldn't theoretically be just as bad if not worse, but since they have nothing to sell the first thing you'd look for is an actual product.

Basically what they're asking for is meaningful competition.

"They are better off doing what most sane companies do, announce details just before you can actually buy the things."

This is basically suggesting that AMD will tread the path of the enlightened company and release things with enough supply for everyone.

I'd like to know where you got that. I'm literally suggesting they do the exact same thing NVIDIA did: release details just before things go on sale. Not months ahead. It's the "sane" thing to do because it typically maximizes your sales chances, not because its particularly moral. It's also what usually happens.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    zerzhul wrote: »

Oh, your fan speed slider is not in a good spot. I bet on the second one you're hitting thermal cap pretty fast and it's downclocking. Do this test apples to apples by maxing out your fan speed for both groups of settings, then work your fan speed down to something you can live with without losing results.

The temperature never goes above 70. It was actually lower in the "OC" test.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Oh, your fan speed slider is not in a good spot. I bet on the second one you're hitting thermal cap pretty fast and it's downclocking. Do this test apples to apples by maxing out your fan speed for both groups of settings, then work your fan speed down to something you can live with without losing results.

What does the boost clock graph look like throughout the test? Is it throttling down to keep temps low?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

e: Fun side note, the XC3 Ultra Gaming actually comes with a GPU brace in the box.

The brace is actually another video card

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/newegg-shipping-evga-rtx-3080s-without-boxes

That sucks shit. I guess good luck if you manage to nab a 3080 from newegg

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/news/newegg-shipping-evga-rtx-3080s-without-boxes

That feels like fraud

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

That feels like fraud

Nah, feels like simple human error.

Some receiving clerk didn't differentiate between retail packaged units received and bulk units. The inventory system said "we have X units in stock." That many units sold. Some low level shipping warehouse manager suddenly had to decide "do we send out the bulk units or cancel these orders?" and chose poorly (or not, I mean a lot of people probably don't care?).

I doubt there was any ill intent.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

That feels like fraud

Some receiving clerk didn't differentiate between retail packaged units received and bulk units. The inventory system said "we have X units in stock." That many units sold. Some low level shipping warehouse manager suddenly had to decide "do we send out the bulk units or cancel these orders?" and chose poorly (or not, I mean a lot of people probably don't care?).

Yeah I think this was much more WHAT DO I DO WITH MY HANDS than FUCK THESE PEOPLE IN PARTICULAR.

• Options

That feels like fraud

I dunno

I've done warehousing and the likelihood of someone who didn't know what they were doing deciding to repackage bulk products doesn't sit right.

I don't even think a clerk or even a floor manager would be able to make that call as the inventory would probably be in an entirely different location than package shipping.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    And by fraud I mean Newegg is selling something at MSRP that they got for significantly less than MSRP without all the add-ins.

If I paid for a device with all adapters, manuals, and packaging (especially since packaging can effect resale value later) and do not get it, then I did not get what I paid for and Newegg pockets the difference, whether that be $5 or $100 I don't know.

If I KNEW I was paying for a bulk item without any of the packaging, then that's a whole different thing.

Maybe that's not a big deal to some but to me that shit is unacceptable.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean, no one said it's acceptable. But I don't think it's actively malicious. Sometimes people are just stupid.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I mean, no one said it's acceptable. But I don't think it's actively malicious. Sometimes people are just stupid.

I mean yeah

But in the end you paid for something you didn't get. I find it incredibly difficult to believe that nobody knew what was going to happen when those shipped.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

What does the boost clock graph look like throughout the test? Is it throttling down to keep temps low?

That must be it, but I can't work out why it's kicking in at 70C. Surely it would allow temps into the 80s at least.

• Options
    I dunno, I wouldn't be too surprised if a bunch of people whose job is "put shit X in box Y, mail to dickhead Z" for minimum wage and no health insurance aren't too fussed about whether they're being given correct instructions or not.

And as for the person in charge who should have been paying attention, well, people are really fuckin' lazy.

• Options
    Again, to be clear, this is not okay on any level and Newegg needs to be offering recompense. I just find this one really easy to mark up to humans being dumb humans, rather than someone actually thinking through it at all;.

• Options
    I dunno, I wouldn't be too surprised if a bunch of people whose job is "put shit X in box Y, mail to dickhead Z" for minimum wage and no health insurance aren't too fussed about whether they're being given correct instructions or not.

And as for the person in charge who should have been paying attention, well, people are really fuckin' lazy.

I'd believe someone being greedy for extra money well before I believe someone is so lazy they don't notice a missing box.

• Options

I'd believe someone being greedy for extra money well before I believe someone is so lazy they don't notice a missing box.

It's not about noticing, it's about being indifferent.

If the instructions coming down from the computer say send them out without a box, I'm probably going to go "huh, these should probably be in a box" but then I'm going to send it out anyway because I really don't care and not my problem.

• Options

It's not about noticing, it's about being indifferent.

If the instructions coming down from the computer say send them out without a box, I'm probably going to go "huh, these should probably be in a box" but then I'm going to send it out anyway because I really don't care and not my problem.

Either way, huge red flag that Newegg should probably be avoided if possible.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    And, man, has anyone here worked a warehouse? Because our experiences differ immensley.

Edit: What I mean is that the pick system is probably automated, which means someone didn't indifferently use bulk items but purposely selected them to fulfill orders. And each box probably crosses 4-5 people before going out the door.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    60203uezchi7.png

I have Nvidia's 3080 page on a watchlist and just got a change alert... Shenanigans going on? Nvidia fixing to raise the price of the FE to $899?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    And, man, has anyone here worked a warehouse? Because our experiences differ immensley.

Edit: What I mean is that the pick system is probably automated, which means someone didn't indifferently use bulk items but purposely selected them to fulfill orders. And each box probably crosses 4-5 people before going out the door.

I don't work a warehouse but I do support one and have to keep some items in stock, adjust stock, etc., and it's pretty common for people to not pay attention and use the wrong item code for differently packaged items or items with different modules. It gets to the point where, since my job is expressly not this warehouse shit at all in the first place and I got shit to do, I just handle it from start to finish for my own department.

I do agree that someone between purchasing upper management at Newegg should have created a new item code for bulk 3080's and sold them differently. But chances are good that someone in purchasing just bought a shit-ton because they needed cards, had them received as the usual RTX 3080 item code, and away we go.

The bigger question, in my mind, is how the fuck you work at a Newegg warehouse and not know how to pack computer parts into boxes properly.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    That would be profoundly shitty!

• Options
    60203uezchi7.png

I have Nvidia's 3080 page on a watchlist and just got a change alert... Shenanigans going on? Nvidia fixing to raise the price of the FE to $899?

Apparently Canadian retail price showing up by accident

• Options
    Oh good. I was going to get very angry if they jumped the price $200 on me... >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Oh good. I was going to get very angry if they jumped the price $200 on me... >.>

Nvidias on real thin ice as it is.

I've not seen a company squander this much good will so incredibly quickly since the Xbox One reveal conference

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Thawmus wrote: »

I don't work a warehouse but I do support one and have to keep some items in stock, adjust stock, etc., and it's pretty common for people to not pay attention and use the wrong item code for differently packaged items or items with different modules. It gets to the point where, since my job is expressly not this warehouse shit at all in the first place and I got shit to do, I just handle it from start to finish for my own department.

I do agree that someone between purchasing upper management at Newegg should have created a new item code for bulk 3080's and sold them differently. But chances are good that someone in purchasing just bought a shit-ton because they needed cards, had them received as the usual RTX 3080 item code, and away we go.

The bigger question, in my mind, is how the fuck you work at a Newegg warehouse and not know how to pack computer parts into boxes properly.

My question is

If they sold them a bulk part they got at a discount that the customer never ordered, why aren't they publicly stating they'll replace the items OR applying the bulk price directly to the customer?

They're effectively saying "SORRY WE SENT YOU SOMETHING YOU DIDN'T ORDER BUT TO THE BACK OF THE LINE YOU'LL GO IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT:"

We are contacting you today in regards to your recent purchase for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING, Newegg Item# 14-487-520.

Due to an inventory error, your order was accidentally processed with a bulk unit. Since this is a bulk item, it will not arrive in a retail box but is still brand new/unused as a regular graphics card would be. Additionally, the bulk unit still has a manufacturer warranty through EVGA as a retail unit would. If you’d like to return the unit for a refund, please reply to this email so we may set you up with a return and prepaid shipping label. Sadly, due to inventory constraints, we’re unable to guarantee a replacement at this time. We sincerely apologize for any troubles that this may have caused for you and truly appreciate your understanding.

They should be the first people with guaranteed replacements. Period. This is ridiculous.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I am so tired of refreshing store pages hoping to luck into a 3080. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I can accept shipping out bulk cards was a mistake with no malicious intent. It's still a colossal fuck up and anyone who wants a full retail package should get one from Newegg.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd take a bulk card maybe, depending on how it was packaged and how hard it is to source things like the new PSU adapters.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The Fractal Focus G Mini (mATX) is $42 after shipping at Newegg

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Igor's lab looked into the crashing issues people were having with 3080s. There could be some potential PCB issues with a few manufacturers, notably MSI, Zotac and Gigabyte. EVGA and FE cards are fine and Asus TUF appear to be the best PCB: https://www.igorslab.de/en/what-real-what-can-be-investigative-within-the-crashes-and-instabilities-of-the-force-rtx-3080-andrtx-3090/

This discussion has been closed.