Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Oh good. I have not received my test results yet another staff member who got their test at the same place and a few hours after me got their results last Thursday.

They do batch testing, and group a bunch together. If they are all negative, then everyone gets the results quickly. If even one is positive, iirc, they have to test them all individually, which may take more time.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Brolo wrote: »

A dramatic portrayal of everyone's conversations after that zoom call ended
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzU6_3GqbFo

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh good. I have not received my test results yet another staff member who got their test at the same place and a few hours after me got their results last Thursday.

They do batch testing, and group a bunch together. If they are all negative, then everyone gets the results quickly. If even one is positive, iirc, they have to test them all individually, which may take more time.

So I should keep waiting?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

What's the alternative?

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    tynic wrote: »

What's the alternative?

Tim gets together with a bunch of weirdos from the internet he's known for the last decade+ and they hatch a convoluted plan to social engineer their way into the lab where his sample is and either, as circumstances dictate, test it themselves or hack the database to find his results? The plan would include multiple Oceans 11 style cons and take at least a similar number of people.

It's a good idea, but there's a pandemic on so getting together to plan and practice is not responsible.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My nephew's second coronavirus test in a month just came back negative. And we also learned today that some kids just get super wheezy when they have a virus, and he will probably do this every time he has a cold for the next few years. So I guess we get to play "cold or covid?" every few weeks for the next year as he catches all the germs a toddler catches in their first year at nursery.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My nephew's second coronavirus test in a month just came back negative. And we also learned today that some kids just get super wheezy when they have a virus, and he will probably do this every time he has a cold for the next few years. So I guess we get to play "cold or covid?" every few weeks for the next year as he catches all the germs a toddler catches in their first year at nursery.

Did they diagnose asthma? Post-viral asthma is super duper common and yeah it's gonna have a lot of COVID-like attributes :( but if they can prescribe him some albuterol it should help with the symptoms.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

What's the alternative?

Try to call the phone number I found on the test website? Part of my kinda just wants to wait to see if the district even notices I never sent them the results.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So if they let you come to work without the negative test, I guess the test was...just out of curiosity?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Did they diagnose asthma? Post-viral asthma is super duper common and yeah it's gonna have a lot of COVID-like attributes :( but if they can prescribe him some albuterol it should help with the symptoms.

Apparently they can't officially diagnose him until he's old enough to do a breathing test, or something. But something is definitely up, his breathing is really laboured and raspy, especially when he gets tired. He also has pretty bad eczema and some allergies so asthma doesn't sound crazy to me.

They gave him an inhaler which helps. Hopefully he will grow out of it.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My biology professor pronounces phagocyte in a way that sounds like an antigay slur. I am not a fan.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    How's it meant to be pronounced?

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So if they let you come to work without the negative test, I guess the test was...just out of curiosity?

I'm almost positive they are only doing it at all to claim they did it for the press.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    My biology professor pronounces phagocyte in a way that sounds like an antigay slur. I am not a fan.

I'm proxy angry with your professor now.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    How's it meant to be pronounced?

Like phage. Fayjhe

• Options
    edited October 2020
    That's how I've always pronounced it

Edit: I mean the way pinfeldorf presumably means.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Everyone!

I found it! I found the unicorn! I found a self identified libertarian who isn’t a complete chode!

He’s one of my professors. Which means he has a PhD in some form of government intelligence. He lives out in the country on a farm with his family and guns. 100% a prepper.

He believes the government should be as small as possible while providing for the needs of the people, ideally through curtailing a bunch of military spending and focusing that money to those in need instead, ideally through direct cash payments rather than various bureaucratic institutions.

After a group project he told us he formed our groups “with people from not only different work backgrounds, but different ages, races, and gender because diversity is a vital key not only to success but in developing a healthy world view.”

“Honestly if we stopped using the government to imprison and kill people and instead used it to boost them up, the country would be way better off and we could cut down on a ton of unnecessary government.”

He’s like a skinny, bald, SJW Ron Swanson. I want to join his compound.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Everyone!

I found it! I found the unicorn! I found a self identified libertarian who isn’t a complete chode!

He’s one of my professors. Which means he has a PhD in some form of government intelligence. He lives out in the country on a farm with his family and guns. 100% a prepper.

He believes the government should be as small as possible while providing for the needs of the people, ideally through curtailing a bunch of military spending and focusing that money to those in need instead, ideally through direct cash payments rather than various bureaucratic institutions.

After a group project he told us he formed our groups “with people from not only different work backgrounds, but different ages, races, and gender because diversity is a vital key not only to success but in developing a healthy world view.”

“Honestly if we stopped using the government to imprison and kill people and instead used it to boost them up, the country would be way better off and we could cut down on a ton of unnecessary government.”

He doesn't sound like a libertarian...or I should say he would be a libertarian if our government looked completely different. Which makes him essentially a anarcho communist?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Everyone!

He doesn't sound like a libertarian...or I should say he would be a libertarian if our government looked completely different. Which makes him essentially a anarcho communist?

Don’t ruin this for me Doodman.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Seriously, the sticky note over the camera never comes off unless you are going to act like you are on camera.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    There is a city in my county with 600 people in it and a village with like 3000 people in it

It's arbitrary

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Yeah it's not a city until it has a population of, I think 10,000? Maybe 50,000, it's been a while since I played SimCity.
    In the UK a place can only be called a city if it has been granted city status by a monarch.

Which means my home place of 110,000+ inhabitants is a town. However, I was born in a city of 26,000 inhabitants.

Wow that seems incredibly arbitrary!

There's also a common misconception that a place is called a city if it has a cathedral (apparently this hasn't actually been true since the days of Elizabeth I, which is when they started doing the 'monarch grants a charter' method)

anyway this is just by way of bringing up a tangential anecdote from when I was apartment-hunting in southern cornwall, where the real-estate lady showing me listings in Truro asked "So do you like big-city living?" and I said "yes but all Cornwall has is Truro* so I'll have to make do"
    and got a fucking FILTHY glare and a stern "We have a cathedral!" in response.

*pop ~20k.

“Yeah, but do you have a Dave and Busters!?”

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

In French, you pronounce it that way. Then again, "fag" doesn't mean anything in French.

@Gvzbgul It's pronounced Faygo-site. That's right. A phagocyte... is a Faygo factory.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Counting down the days/years until it'll be financially viable for me to quit my job and get a normal Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job.

I keep looking at the Games Workshop jobs postings and seeing adverts for 40K rules writers...

One day I'll be able to work there.

If you work for them you have to promise to cram more references to my made up Imperial Guard regiment into official stuff. I need more!

Who, Hector Penny's Arcadians?
    Turkson wrote: »

Also get rid of the stupid Astra Militarum or whatever name is being pushed.

No, rules writers don't get to change names. You would have to join a different department. Like Legal Story.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways in biology classes long ago. If you try to look up the pronunciation though nearly all of the online guides pronounce it the way Pinfeldorf's professor did.

• Options
    According to my medical terminology professor some years ago, it's a soft G for the same reason it's a soft G in "-logy". The UK would obviously give a longer A sound in phagocyte where it would be the closer to "phAYgocyte" in the US, which I believe are both okay, but this is the first time I've heard it as a hard G.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Look up "phagocyte pronunciation." All but one that I clicked on pronounced it like your professor did (and that was also the way I heard it pronounced most often when I was in school).

It would be nice if people shifted their pronunciation on it though.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Huh, I've only ever heard it as a hard G (like "Fay-go", though, not the other thing). Interesting!

I've also heard 3 different pronunciations for apoptosis and I to this day have no idea which is "correct." Science!

• Options
    A pop toe sis? That's how I've pronounced it, I'm honestly not quite sure I've ever heard it pronounced.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Got my flu jab today. Left work early to get to the only one of our hospitals actually doing shots in the employee health office, but between a few long running extracts I was finishing up and construction traffic and the fact that for staffing reasons they stopped giving shots a half hour earlier than listed on the scheduled they turned me away. But then I told them that I'd driven in all the way from the west side of town, so rather than have me come back tomorrow, they just slipped me in. Hooray for being a squeeky wheel!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Huh, I've only ever heard it as a hard G (like "Fay-go", though, not the other thing). Interesting!

I've also heard 3 different pronunciations for apoptosis and I to this day have no idea which is "correct." Science!

Autophagy researchers pronounce "autophagy" in a really strange way.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    A pop toe sis? That's how I've pronounced it, I'm honestly not quite sure I've ever heard it pronounced.

That one, also a-pup-toe-sis, and my favorite, the wholly non-linear app-uh-toe-sis

• Options
    According to my medical terminology professor some years ago, it's a soft G for the same reason it's a soft G in "-logy". The UK would obviously give a longer A sound in phagocyte where it would be the closer to "phAYgocyte" in the US, which I believe are both okay, but this is the first time I've heard it as a hard G.

Actually, it's a soft G in "-logy" because it comes from French, where g is (mostly) always hard (heh) in front of a, o and u, and soft in front of e, i and y. So it's phage pronounced "faaj" or "fayj", but phagocyte pronounced "fay-go-site".

• Options
    I say those things as "fay-go-site" and "app-uh-toe-sis"

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fay-jo-site.

• Options
    My pronunciation of apoptosis veers wildly between all three for reasons even I can't discern.

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »

Actually, it's a soft G in "-logy" because it comes from French, where g is (mostly) always hard (heh) in front of a, o and u, and soft in front of e, i and y. So it's phage pronounced "faaj" or "fayj", but phagocyte pronounced "fay-go-site".

The origin is definitely Greek and/or Latin, since it's oldschool medical terminology. If there are similarities to French, it's because they borrowed it from Latin, just like Spanish.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    My pronunciation of apoptosis veers wildly between all three for reasons even I can't discern.

Mostly on whether or not I feel like irritating someone with the way it’s pronounced

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Fuck the ancient origins of thousands of years ago, how about we just recognize how certain bits have implications in our current world and adjust around that?

• Options
    Elaro wrote: »

The origin is definitely Greek and/or Latin, since it's oldschool medical terminology. If there are similarities to French, it's because they borrowed it from Latin, just like Spanish.

Yeah, but why does English do it? Because of the French influence!
    Tynnan wrote: »
    "app-uh-toe-sis"

I think you have to pronounce the second p. Otherwise, what if they come up with something called "aptosis"? Chaos will reign! Chaos!
    sarukun wrote: »
    Fay-jo-site.

If you pronounce it that way, you don't get any Faygo out of your phagocytes. Is that what you want?

This discussion has been closed.