Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I have been wearing gloves, a face mask, and a face shield for several hours now. I don’t like it.

"You think that's bad, trying wearing a motorcycle helmet all day in an ER!" -- Stig, probably

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Counting down the days/years until it'll be financially viable for me to quit my job and get a normal Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job.

I keep looking at the Games Workshop jobs postings and seeing adverts for 40K rules writers...

One day I'll be able to work there.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    *Breathe*
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    https://newrepublic.com/article/159662/libertarian-walks-into-bear-book-review-free-town-project

Reminder to self: Never, ever take a job in New Hampshire. Added it to the nogo zone, along with most of the deep south.

How does a city like this exist and I didn't know about it until now? Setting aside the bears, I would have imagined this sort of anarchic takeover to have been met with the various federal powers, most especially the IRS.

It's not a city. Population 1340. My town is bigger at 2000.

Well it's more than just the town that's the issue.

TIL anyone who resides in Grafton County is prohibited from travelling to Vermont. So I guess they're handling Corona about as well as the bears.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    @Xaquin

thanks again for helping set my mind at ease. The xx-xxxxx was (apparently) accepted and HR seemed satisfied.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Counting down the days/years until it'll be financially viable for me to quit my job and get a normal Monday to Friday 9 to 5 job.

I keep looking at the Games Workshop jobs postings and seeing adverts for 40K rules writers...

If you work for them you have to promise to cram more references to my made up Imperial Guard regiment into official stuff. I need more!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    @Xaquin

thanks again for helping set my mind at ease. The xx-xxxxx was (apparently) accepted and HR seemed satisfied.

excellent =)

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    OK news: I have an in at an automation engineering group (which is hiring) that reviewed my resume and said I'm a great fit and will forward it to a relevant manager

Less OK news: filed for unemployment for the first time :?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    My desk has been annoyingly tall since I started at this school last year. If I adjust my chair so my eye and arm level is right, I can barely touch the floor with my feet. I'm a 5'5" male so in the US I'm widely regarded as not a real person deserving of respect IN MATTERS APPLYING TO HEIGHT.

The important bit is I dropped something and crawled under the desk to get it. While there I found a crank at the bank of the desk to adjust the height.

My desk is now 8 inches shorter and life is much better.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    My desk has been annoyingly tall since I started at this school last year. If I adjust my chair so my eye and arm level is right, I can barely touch the floor with my feet. I'm a 5'5" male so in the US I'm widely regarded as not a real person deserving of respect IN MATTERS APPLYING TO HEIGHT.

The important bit is I dropped something and crawled under the desk to get it. While there I found a crank at the bank of the desk to adjust the height.

My seven foot friend has the exact opposite problem. They had to get large chunks of wood to raise his desk up so he could use it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    @Xaquin

xx-xxxxxxcellent =)

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I *almost* called in sick this morning, but I realized I'm mostly just not feeling good because it's Monday.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I *almost* called in sick this morning, but I realized I'm mostly just not feeling good because it's Monday.

Perfectly good reason for calling out sick.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

My seven foot friend has the exact opposite problem. They had to get large chunks of wood to raise his desk up so he could use it.

Lucky. I was left to put my feet on the basket below the seat in front of me and use the leverage to raise my desk to a 45 degree angle for some degree of "comfort"

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    9 days left

So ready to just chuck my laptop out the fucking window

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    They made us come back into the office again this week. last time they tried this around may/june it backfired spectacularly and we were allowed to work from home again within 3 weeks.

With cases rising nationally again I wonder how long it’ll be this time.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    9 days left

Short-timer's disease

Time to start day-drinking?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Xaquin

My current job had me on a completely made-up SSN for like, a month*
    I don't think anybody actually has a way of checking these things, as long as it looks roughly in order.

*I'm pretty sure what happened is they entered my australian tax file number as my SSN, because they have the same number of digits. But I'm also pretty sure that's not something that the IRS is copacetic with.

• Options
    I’m also so overwhelmed and tired and frustrated today that I am not getting a damn thing done.

• Options

Lucky. I was left to put my feet on the basket below the seat in front of me and use the leverage to raise my desk to a 45 degree angle for some degree of "comfort"

Our corporate overlords have a really strict ergonomics policy and you have to do a bunch of online training and then get OHS to certify your desk/monitor/mouse/keyboard setup within the first month of employment.
    But now we all work at home and I'm using my kitchen table and a small $10 footstool as my office. Somewhere there's a tangible irony to be unpacked from this.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    I’m also so overwhelmed and tired and frustrated today that I am not getting a damn thing done.

Just today? Way stronger than me.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Just today? Way stronger than me.

It’s a lot of days but today it’s hitting me harder as I sit in my office

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Our corporate overlords have a really strict ergonomics policy and you have to do a bunch of online training and then get OHS to certify your desk/monitor/mouse/keyboard setup within the first month of employment.
    But now we all work at home and I'm using my kitchen table and a small $10 footstool as my office. Somewhere there's a tangible irony to be unpacked from this.

It'd be much easier to unpack that irony with, say, a new soldering station.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not a city until it has a population of, I think 10,000? Maybe 50,000, it's been a while since I played SimCity.
    In the UK a place can only be called a city if it has been granted city status by a monarch.

Which means my home place of 110,000+ inhabitants is a town. However, I was born in a city of 26,000 inhabitants.

• Options
    Oh good. I have not received my test results yet another staff member who got their test at the same place and a few hours after me got their results last Thursday.

• Options
    Wow that seems incredibly arbitrary!

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Yeah it's not a city until it has a population of, I think 10,000? Maybe 50,000, it's been a while since I played SimCity.
    In the UK a place can only be called a city if it has been granted city status by a monarch.

Which means my home place of 110,000+ inhabitants is a town. However, I was born in a city of 26,000 inhabitants.

Wow that seems incredibly arbitrary!

There's also a common misconception that a place is called a city if it has a cathedral (apparently this hasn't actually been true since the days of Elizabeth I, which is when they started doing the 'monarch grants a charter' method)

anyway this is just by way of bringing up a tangential anecdote from when I was apartment-hunting in southern cornwall, where the real-estate lady showing me listings in Truro asked "So do you like big-city living?" and I said "yes but all Cornwall has is Truro* so I'll have to make do"
    and got a fucking FILTHY glare and a stern "We have a cathedral!" in response.

*pop ~20k.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

If you work for them you have to promise to cram more references to my made up Imperial Guard regiment into official stuff. I need more!

Also get rid of the stupid Astra Militarum or whatever name is being pushed.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I just had to give a 45 minute presentation that I wasn't aware I was giving. I found out by joining a call and my boss going "[Drez], do you mind explaining?"

I wasn't even on all the preamble emails leading up to the meeting. Someone forwarded them to me a little bit before the call.

I mean, I knocked it out of the park but wtf.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    "Whatever, I don't care."

What a weird way to pronounce the phrase, "I'm totally chickenshit"

It's the chickenshitty way to get out of paying someone unemployment. You see it a lot in union workplaces. They try to get you to "walk away" without specifically saying they fired you. They target young folks who don't know the union will go to bat for them when this happens too.

100% he didn't want to say it out loud in case DW was going to file for unemployment not that it'd ever past muster anywhere outside of rural nowheresville.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    that said, woot to DW for finally getting out of there and, fingers crossed, into a much better place with an excellent view of the dumpster fire and its IMO inevitable conclusion.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I haven't had to do much work over the summer as my boss was a lot more focused on getting the office policy up to date to reflect covid times, etc, and that was nice for me at least, in terms of recovering from how horrific my old unit was, and my boss is basically the one thing I like about my place of employment

But the old unit has demanded that I act as a resource for them in my new unit, and my boss can't do much about it aside from trying to spread some of that work around so I only have to do part of it; unfortunately 2/3 of my new responsibilities fall under their umbrella

I am usually a fairly patient person and it takes a lot to make me angry

It took two fucking emails after several months without contact with that unit for me to be viscerally furious at some tremendously stupid decisions

Christ, I wish I could quit so badly

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Love to open a spreadsheet I made to keep track of my progress on a stupid task and not remember my informal color code. Dark green is done and sent, light green is done but not sent, yellow is I've gathered the data, no color is I haven't done anything yet, but what are orange, red and dark red again?

Edit: Oh hell, this one is half orange and half red. God damnit past Kayne, get your shit together.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    9 days left

Short-timer's disease

Time to start day-drinking?

start?

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular

Cello wrote: »
    I haven't had to do much work over the summer as my boss was a lot more focused on getting the office policy up to date to reflect covid times, etc, and that was nice for me at least, in terms of recovering from how horrific my old unit was, and my boss is basically the one thing I like about my place of employment

But the old unit has demanded that I act as a resource for them in my new unit, and my boss can't do much about it aside from trying to spread some of that work around so I only have to do part of it; unfortunately 2/3 of my new responsibilities fall under their umbrella

It took two fucking emails after several months without contact with that unit for me to be viscerally furious at some tremendously stupid decisions

Is there a way to set them up for failure in a cathartic way? Preferably without breaking a building.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

Is there a way to set them up for failure in a cathartic way? Preferably without breaking a building.

They're well on their way without my help, I must imagine

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Also in the UK it's slightly more complicated; a city is a city when a metropolitan borough gets granted the position of city by letters patent

Traditionally these were issued by the monarchy, and were issued to towns with cathedrals. As power passed from the monarchy to parliament, the power lay with the central government (where it does now), the crown officially hands out the status but only upon the advice of her ministers, which is how everything works legally here. During the 1800s a few towns without cathedrals petitioned to be cities on the basis of having loads of people and already being an established borough, and that has continued since then.

So yeah. You don't need a cathedral, but you used to. And it isn't the monarch that picks. Although it sort of is. But the monarch is told who to pick by the government. And they have to apply. But it doesn't actually make any difference if you are one. But you still have to apply.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So to do X at work, I need to use Mobile App. Do I have a smartphone provided by the company? No. Am I going to install said Mobile App on my phone? Also no. I did not agree to a BYOD situation here, so now I get to complain and kibitz until I get a phone. It doesn't even need to have SIM card, it just needs to be able to run the app... :/

All this just to do X.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m's employer: We're making 3 people out of the 8 in V1m's team redundant

V1m: when are those roles being replaced?

Poor sweet naive V1m

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    V1m's employer: We're making 3 people out of the 8 in V1m's team redundant

V1m: when are those roles being replaced?

Poor sweet naive V1m

No! But V1m gets more responsibility, for the same pay! At least it's not less pay, mirite!

This discussion has been closed.