As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Boys]: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Pretty solid first three episodes.
    They could have experimented further on Black Noir, he could be stronger and more durable now than he was before. I do prefer the comic reveal, it was ... supremely messed up and a pretty great.

I feel like the weapon is a red herring, possible Soldier Boy defected and went with them willingly, but one of the trailers seems to suggest otherwise.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    My wife and I are both happy that
    Black Noir is actually a black guy. The whole Homelander clone in the comics reveal was rather uninspired. The TV show has a much better take on Black Noir so far.
    I'm not familiar with what they did in the comics, but I had the thought that the very specific face reveal of Black Noir in the past was to possibly do a twist in the present.

Not the one in the above spoiler, though, which wouldn't really fit the show.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    My wife and I are both happy that
    Black Noir is actually a black guy. The whole Homelander clone in the comics reveal was rather uninspired. The TV show has a much better take on Black Noir so far.

It seems wildly inconsistent though.
    He tanked a house explosion yet his face was mega messed up by regular arms there. Unless the rebels were using this special weapon, but I think the weapon is ultimately just a red herring,
    His armor probably gives him some amount of additional protection. He refused to wear his mask in Nicaragua, but has been fully buttoned up ever since. Also, Naquib did some damage to him when he exploded.

Alternative explanation: they were firing 12.7mm almonds at him

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So in a show with so much messed up shit the things that got to me to so far was.

Mother's milk's wife's new man like nodding along to Homelander saying he wasn't going to take it anymore while mothers milk's wife looks on in horror.

And the deep being forced to eat his octopus friend.

It really feels like Kripke just puts his rage at the current worlds affairs into the show

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So in a show with so much messed up shit the things that got to me to so far was.

Mother's milk's wife's new man like nodding along to Homelander saying he wasn't going to take it anymore while mothers milk's wife looks on in horror.

And the deep being forced to eat his octopus friend.

It really feels like Kripke just puts his rage at the current worlds affairs into the show

The best thing about that dinner scene
    100% it was the Deep's wife getting revenge on him as I think she picked up on the whole "get me off with all your arms" thing during sex. I would not be surprised if she's a bit of a vindictive shit.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    My wife and I watched the first episode last night. This was the exchange:
    Her: Oh my God, he's going in his butthole? Ew.
    Me: That's not his butthole.
    Her: *shocked into stunned silence*
    And it was a practical effect I read.
    11 feet tall and 20 feet long.

I cant imagine the look on the face of the guy who had to approve that in the budget.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

I cant imagine the look on the face of the guy who had to approve that in the budget.
    "Will we be able to spread the cost by using it for other shows?"
    "I really don't see how..."
    "Time for Marvelous Mrs Maisel to get weird."

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Time for a reboot of The Fantastic Voyage?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    "I will get a dolphin to hang out with you for a half hour for a million dollars."

There's at least a few dozen people with the money willing to pay that. It's too bad Deep is more concerned with fame.

I would not be surprised if the supes have all kinds of exclusivity agreements with Vaught preventing them from making side deals that aren't approved

• Options
    3 episodes had a ton of shots at things. We got the NRA, we got white power as a concept, we got corporations having "inclusive" stuff to sell you shit, we got a white person equating themselves to Dr. King when it way way doesn't make sense, reality tv sucking. Like my god its wall to wall "AND FUCK THIS SHIT AND THIS SHIT!"

Is season 3 the last season? Having a fire sale of fuck yous?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The LGBTurkey had me rolling.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Time for a reboot of The Fantastic Voyage?

Wow, HBO's take on The Magic Schoolbus certainly got a lot more anatomically correct than I was expecting...

• Options
    So a question about episode 1.

Did Homelander actually visit Butcher? Or was that just the first signs of Butcher losing his mind? Because it was played straight and it felt like the kind of thing Homelander would do, but then we see later on with butcher he was using Homelander as a stand in for his impulse to just take the V.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    3 episodes had a ton of shots at things. We got the NRA, we got white power as a concept, we got corporations having "inclusive" stuff to sell you shit, we got a white person equating themselves to Dr. King when it way way doesn't make sense, reality tv sucking. Like my god its wall to wall "AND FUCK THIS SHIT AND THIS SHIT!"

Child pageants too, and a nice jab at 'release the Snyder-cut'.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I know it says open spoilers, but just in case.

Ep3
    The amount of character reveal Ackles did with just half of his face and his eyes when Grace calls him out, was really impressive.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Grislo wrote: »

Child pageants too, and a nice jab at 'release the Snyder-cut'.

Again its like a fire sale of fuck yous.

I also enjoy that we have literal nazis in support of a nazi and they are treated as people who just disagree. God damn you cna practically see the bile the writing room has for modern america. Its similar to the boys as a comic which keeps with the theme, but it feels more focused in the show and not getting lost in like depravity despite having plenty of depravity.

I will say the homelander hand job scene was also one of those awful things he's done. Like god damn dude! I swear if Homelander survives this season and that feels like a big if, he can't be this unhinged going forward, he's got to at least put the veneer back on.

Also I somehow missed that Jim Beavers character is literally Bobby Singer.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Lil' Starlight singing Britney's Hit Me Baby nearly made me gag. As if we needed more evidence that her mom was a monster.

• Options
    Lil' Starlight singing Britney's Hit Me Baby nearly made me gag. As if we needed more evidence that her mom was a monster.

Its a perfect encapsulation of how fucked up pagents are. Plus like remember this was the "christian" pageant having a like eight year old sing a britney spears song.

But my god the boy band song is horrifically gross. Like that's the point, but jesus.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Its a perfect encapsulation of how fucked up pagents are. Plus like remember this was the "christian" pageant having a like eight year old sing a britney spears song.

But my god the boy band song is horrifically gross. Like that's the point, but jesus.

The other contestants may never know what a solid Starlight just did for them by keeping them the fuck away from The Seven, but the optics of blowing off two minority women to usher in two white men (including a sex offender) cannot be worse.

• Options

The other contestants may never know what a solid Starlight just did for them by keeping them the fuck away from The Seven, but the optics of blowing off two minority women to usher in two white men (including a sex offender) cannot be worse.

Feels very intentional. Reminds me of an interview with the cast where they asked about the fresca stuff in season 2 and Ackles having worked with Eric on Supernatural said "it might not have meaning yet, but later..." I can't imagine it was accidental as Homelander is going full republican super hero fantasy, that the seven is getting more male and more white.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what's going to happen with A Train. He can't use his speed, Homelander is constantly pointing that out and now Homelander is not taking no for an answer I wonder just how awful A Train will die.

It was nice to see the only real difference between Butcher and Homelander when it comes to using power is ability. We always knew that, but jesus after what he did to powderganger its even more apparent.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I do want to know who's friends with Charlize Theron to get her to do that cameo. Karl Urban maybe?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I do want to know who's friends with Charlize Theron to get her to do that cameo. Karl Urban maybe?

I think she's just having a good time showing up in odd places, what with her recent comic book movie cameo.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

Well Supersonic is Hispanic/Latinx, no?

Felt like yet another dig by Kripke. Alt-right/conservatives embracing the latinx/hispanic community despite working against them in all things.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »

Well Supersonic is Hispanic/Latinx, no?

Felt like yet another dig by Kripke. Alt-right/conservatives embracing the latinx/hispanic community despite working against them in all things.

That's a good point.

• Options
    They are really building up showing us Soldier Boy I'm kind of terrified what will happen when he shows up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    They are really building up showing us Soldier Boy I'm kind of terrified what will happen when he shows up.

I'm sure we'll all be pant-wettingly surprised! ;)

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    I think my favorite running gag on the show is Huey getting coated in various bodily fluids. First the remains of Vicky's friend, and then Butcher literally vomitting on him. I hope Jack Quaid is getting paid well to take all this liquid abuse

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I think my favorite running gag on the show is Huey getting coated in various bodily fluids. First the remains of Vicky's friend, and then Butcher literally vomitting on him. I hope Jack Quaid is getting paid well to take all this liquid abuse

*eyes the episode list and the episode titled "Herogasim"*

• Options
    I wonder what Dennis Quaid thinks of the boys? "Well if it was called the Girls I knew I could find a new bride their eh jacky boy eh eh."

I will say I still don't fully buy Huey and Starlights relationship, its not the fault of the actors, but like Huey seems like such a ball of rage and shame I can't see how Starlight would want to remain with him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think she's probably staying with him because he's basically a good dude whose various insecurities are doing him in, but I don't see that relationship lasting much longer.

They're going for a pretty obvious love triangle there and I can't see this show going for the happy ending resolution to that.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    tbh my biggest issue with the show is just that huey is really unlikable; I get that the point is him being a regular person shoved into all this madness, but at some point have him stop wringing his hands over everything (in fairness the current season seems to be improving him in this regard.)

Feels very intentional. Reminds me of an interview with the cast where they asked about the fresca stuff in season 2 and Ackles having worked with Eric on Supernatural said "it might not have meaning yet, but later..." I can't imagine it was accidental as Homelander is going full republican super hero fantasy, that the seven is getting more male and more white.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what's going to happen with A Train. He can't use his speed, Homelander is constantly pointing that out and now Homelander is not taking no for an answer I wonder just how awful A Train will die.

It was nice to see the only real difference between Butcher and Homelander when it comes to using power is ability. We always knew that, but jesus after what he did to powderganger its even more apparent.

the show's treatment of its own subjects is a nice deviation from the comics; the book has plenty of lurid material but you often kinda sense ennis masturbating to his own writing. Meanwhile the show writers seem to look at everyone but starlight and mother's milk with something like disgust

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Honestly the most sympathetic character on the show is pretty much Komiko. She's the one that never wanted any of this, has basically been thrown from one shitty group to the next and just wanted to be a regular person. Like Starlight also didn't want the life, but has embraced aspects of it to try and get better things for others, for ill or worse as that has had happen.

I wonder what'll happen when Frenchie obviously dies horribly, what she will do after.

Also former boyfriend is going to die soonish too, either to homelander or the boys, but his death seems to be written in the stars.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also I get the sense Theron is kinda like Samuel Jackson in that she'll take almost anything that pays and seems vaguely interesting, especially since I don't imagine filming her part took more than a day or two

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Unless the boy band bit is a red herring, I am guessing that despite the name, Supersonic's powerset is more Banshee/Black Canary than a speedster.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    also I get the sense Theron is kinda like Samuel Jackson in that she'll take almost anything that pays and seems vaguely interesting, especially since I don't imagine filming her part took more than a day or two

I guess I think of her more A list than a Cameo in the Boys. But maybe the show has a lot of people wanting to show up to have them exploded from the inside out or something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I admit I was a little sad to see them kill off Aya Cash; I was hoping that since they re-introduced her that we'd see her heal up at some point

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    It was still pretty awful for her to be literally down to one hand and still having to gratify homelander, like bravo show writers.

Plus I loved how mid jerking him off she launches into her nazi shit and he's like "no no" but not like enough to have her stop.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I mean I think she wanted to though, she sticks out her hand and he's like 'oh, okay'

which considering her opinion of him makes sense, I guess

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It was still pretty awful for her to be literally down to one hand and still having to gratify homelander, like bravo show writers.

Plus I loved how mid jerking him off she launches into her nazi shit and he's like "no no" but not like enough to have her stop.

His problem with the nazi shit is that you don't need plural "nazis," you only need one Homelander.

Plus "nazi" doesn't poll well.

I also found it amazing that his issue with her (cw: self harm)
    committing suicide
    is that she did it on his fake birthday and made it all less about him. He didn't care otherwise.

Dracomicron on
  • Options

His problem with the nazi shit is that you don't need plural "nazis," you only need one Homelander.

Plus "nazi" doesn't poll well.

I also found it amazing that his issue with her
    committing suicide
    is that she did it on his fake birthday and made it all less about him. He didn't care otherwise.

And then he literally killed a jewish person in response. "like sure she jumped" sure.

pleasepaypreacher.net