As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Boys]: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It was still pretty awful for her to be literally down to one hand and still having to gratify homelander, like bravo show writers.

Plus I loved how mid jerking him off she launches into her nazi shit and he's like "no no" but not like enough to have her stop.

His problem with the nazi shit is that you don't need plural "nazis," you only need one Homelander.

Plus "nazi" doesn't poll well.

I also found it amazing that his issue with her (cw: self harm)
    committing suicide
    is that she did it on his fake birthday and made it all less about him. He didn't care otherwise.

I don’t think the last bit is completely true, as later there’s that shot of him in the bed. I do agree that he cared more about it stealing his limelight, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It was weird he kept her alive and with him though. Like why?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    She was another surrogate mother figure to him.
    EDIT: to add, I don't think she's dead, if you don't see the body... She might be the source of V24 just to make Butcher's choice even worse since he's powering up off supe juice.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    She was another surrogate mother figure to him.
    EDIT: to add, I don't think she's dead, if you don't see the body... She might be the source of V24 just to make Butcher's choice even worse since he's powering up off supe juice.

Butcher doesn't seem like the kind of guy to be bothered by that at this point. He's pretty well and broken.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    It was weird he kept her alive and with him though. Like why?
    She said she loved him. That's probably enough for Homelander. It's not like anyone else is lining up to say it. Dude can not live without the adoration.

Which is why I'm sure that whole 'I'll destroy the New York' bit of his to Starlight was pure bullshit. He might say he doesn't care and being hated is just as good. But when you see his reaction to him going off script with his birthday speech is to sit and mope on his couch until Ashley tells him people liked it.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    My wife and I are both happy that
    Black Noir is actually a black guy. The whole Homelander clone in the comics reveal was rather uninspired. The TV show has a much better take on Black Noir so far.

It seems wildly inconsistent though.
    He tanked a house explosion yet his face was mega messed up by regular arms there. Unless the rebels were using this special weapon, but I think the weapon is ultimately just a red herring,

Yeah, I think
    Soldier Boy is still alive - either he was a double agent back in the 80s, or the Soviets took him in to try and reverse-engineer Compound V (Compound B?)

A Theory I read on another forum is that:
    Vought sold him to the Russians to get rid of him and speed the Soviet Program along. Creating a winter soldier sort of deal.

The clue was in Edgar talking with Black Noir about how he was supposed to become leader of Payback. Noir said "that everybody was aboard with it except Gunpowder". It either being Noir becoming leader or "something" happening to Soldier Boy. It would be a weird coincidence that Vought was grooming Black Noir for a leadership spot right before Soldier Boy goes missing. Especially since Edgar pointed out that Noir being Black wouldn't be popular in the fly-over states at the time(or now).

That might explain the wounds BN has as being given to him by either Soldier Boy or Crimson Countess. Since we know he can tank regular explosions pretty well. My money is on Crimson Countess using her powers when Soldier boy resisted being sold and BN being caught in the crossfire.

She and Neuman have the same power set superficially, making either of them the "weapon" that can kill Homelander. It would also explain why Edgar would want to keep such a supe under wraps and hidden from public view. Homelander would kill both in an instant if he knew they could hurt him. BTW her looking at Homelander with fear during the rally in S2 hits a lot harder in hindsight don't it. She was definitely gonna kill him if he did what he daydreamed off.

As for Stormfront fate:
    I suspect she is going to get the comics version of Lamplighters fate. See V keeps you alive, even when you shouldn't. So she is going to become a shitflinging zombie kept locked up in a basement to avoid scaring the rubes.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, she’s the only character in the show who gives him unconditional affection and doesn’t want anything from him; she’s his healthiest (and maybe only) actual relationship. As soon as she starts asking him to do anything he pushes her away, but usually regrets it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Just finished the first 3 today.

It feels like they're so far off the rails of the comics at this point there is almost no possible way to even bring a handful of the plot threads back to them.

And I'm 100% cool with that.

Couple observation/theories, I'll put em in spoilers because I'm not clear if the thread title has been updated to reflect the new season.

Vought/Edgar:
    I'm 99.9% sure there is no "weapon", and absolutely agree with the above theory that all the stuff in the flashbacks was a setup, both to get rid of Payback (probably becoming a nuisance for Vought), and handover Soldier Boy. Whether they "sold" him to the Russians, or it was just a cover to get him to some Soviet subsidiary of Vought, it was definitely not a situation where he was killed, and there most certainly is no weapon.

Crimson Countess was most definitely in on it, and likely was the cause of both Noirs damage and Soldier Boy being incapacitated. Bought off, promised something, a Russian, who knows, but definitely an act.

Edgar is way way way too in charge and methodical to let that whole event go down on accident.

As far as what power Edgar has over Homelander, that is less clear. It feels like something more subversive, because Homelander takes his shit, and it doesn't really make any sense why. He doesn't seem at all aware that Edgar may have Supers under his thrall that could end Homelander, but something is still holding him back and forcing him to take Edgar's shit, and it doesn't seem to be anything related to upbringing or affection.

I guess we will see

Soldier Boy:
    I wonder if he is more like a normal person and was taking an earlier version of compound V, and ends up being used to experiment on, to get a "better" version. I think that the V that is being sold by Vought now is the result of that, and I have a suspicion it has some sort of control built in so once the military starts handing it out, those soldiers can suddenly become Vought soldiers, or at the vet least contains some level of control to prevent them from doing any harm to Vought, maybe related to however Edgar is safe from Homelander.

At the same time, this season seems to be focused on fathers and fatherhood, so I'm also wondering if they'll somehow make Soldier Boy Homelanders father, in some regard, and have that play into how Homelander behaves in the back half of the season.

Noir:
    I think his face was blown off by Countess, and I think that he becomes a lab rat. I'm glad they're not going with the comic plotline with him, and it makes it more interesting what his history is and where the character goes. He seemingly never gets to be lead of anything, never speaks again, and is completely obedient to Edgar. There's a story to be told there.
    Interesting we haven't seen him in the present at all this season so far.

Boys:
    Im torn between liking how the characters are being presented so far this season and antsy that it's taken so long to get to compound V, and wonder how much longer they can go before Butcher has to share, and what that looks like in this show, since they are clearly not binding themselves to the comics source.

Maybe the different characters have different endings. Mother's Milk has a completely different origin and story here, and without the nonsense that happened to him in the comics, or any of the "mother" part of it at all, it's anyone's guess what they do with him. I won't be surprised if Billy ends up in roughly the same outcome though, he seems like he's already toeing the line of "pushing people away to protect them" and "fuck em all, they're only getting in the way of his vengeance", and I think they're set on making him irredeemable with Homelander.

That's all I've got for now.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Yeah any deviation from the comic is to the benefit for the show, since the comics were so fucking dire.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Lil' Starlight singing Britney's Hit Me Baby nearly made me gag. As if we needed more evidence that her mom was a monster.

Its a perfect encapsulation of how fucked up pagents are. Plus like remember this was the "christian" pageant having a like eight year old sing a britney spears song.

But my god the boy band song is horrifically gross. Like that's the point, but jesus.

The other contestants may never know what a solid Starlight just did for them by keeping them the fuck away from The Seven, but the optics of blowing off two minority women to usher in two white men (including a sex offender) cannot be worse.

Well Supersonic is Hispanic/Latinx, no?

Felt like yet another dig by Kripke. Alt-right/conservatives embracing the latinx/hispanic community despite working against them in all things.

Yup. Supersonic is also a light-skinned Hispanic who can pass for white, so there's that. Definitely a dig against the right wing/conservatives embracing that community in the cynical pursuit of votes despite white supremacists traditionally being anti-Hispanic and anti-Catholic.

Supersonic seemingly being a nice guy pretty much marks him for death though, especially in a show like this one.
    I admit I was a little sad to see them kill off Aya Cash; I was hoping that since they re-introduced her that we'd see her heal up at some point

Yeah, wife and I were sad to see her go since she's exactly the type of character you love to hate (Aya Cash is a great actress).
    True, no body, no confirmed death,
    and her relationship and scene with Homelander is all sorts of messed up.

Homelander embracing Neo-Nazis and white supremacists last season (and kinda sorta backpedaling on this one) definitely reminds me of Guy45 and his contempt-filled embrace of the same, but at the same caring only about himself and his immediate progeny insofar as it relates to his own legacy (with no effs given about what the child actually thinks).

Stormfront realizing that Homelander will never embrace her ubermensch ideals does make me wonder if
    she's turned against him now despite her seeming death. Her being used, ether willingly or unwillingly, to manufacture V24 is an interesting idea.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Also massive props to the actor who played a young Edgar.

Looks like his name is Justiin Davis, and he nailed the living shit out of that.

While Marvel is getting pretty good at the de-aging stuff, I think there's a massive missed opportunity here to bring in younger actors who, even if they aren't visually identical to the older actors, can nail their mannerisms etc. Lets get some more faces on the screen, give more people opportunities, etc.

Because that bit of that actor doing that role, IMO, was more believable and natural than had they tried to CG de-age Giancarlo Esposito.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options

Looks like his name is Justiin Davis, and he nailed the living shit out of that.

While Marvel is getting pretty good at the de-aging stuff, I think there's a massive missed opportunity here to bring in younger actors who, even if they aren't visually identical to the older actors, can nail their mannerisms etc. Lets get some more faces on the screen, give more people opportunities, etc.

Because that bit of that actor doing that role, IMO, was more believable and natural than had they tried to CG de-age Giancarlo Esposito.

Was young Grace a younger actor then, or just Grace de-aged? We thought she was a different person.

• Options
    I also liked Grace's younger actor as well. Sometimes you just get lucky, they had to do a younger Bosch on this season of the spin off and they legit used the main characters son to play a younger him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Was young Grace a younger actor then, or just Grace de-aged? We thought she was a different person.

Actress named Sarah Swire.

She nailed it too, for sure.

• Options

Actress named Sarah Swire.

She nailed it too, for sure.

I still found it kind of funny the idiot members of payback killing her men were actually also killing bad guys based on the mission they were doing there.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The Irishman probably should've taken this lesson to heart.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So in a show with so much messed up shit the things that got to me to so far was.

Mother's milk's wife's new man like nodding along to Homelander saying he wasn't going to take it anymore while mothers milk's wife looks on in horror.

And the deep being forced to eat his octopus friend.

It really feels like Kripke just puts his rage at the current worlds affairs into the show

The best thing about that dinner scene
    100% it was the Deep's wife getting revenge on him as I think she picked up on the whole "get me off with all your arms" thing during sex. I would not be surprised if she's a bit of a vindictive shit.

Was it just me or was Homelander staring at Deep's wife when he was talking about "taking whatever he wanted"? Seemed to heavily imply they had sex or were going to.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So in a show with so much messed up shit the things that got to me to so far was.

Mother's milk's wife's new man like nodding along to Homelander saying he wasn't going to take it anymore while mothers milk's wife looks on in horror.

And the deep being forced to eat his octopus friend.

It really feels like Kripke just puts his rage at the current worlds affairs into the show

The best thing about that dinner scene
    100% it was the Deep's wife getting revenge on him as I think she picked up on the whole "get me off with all your arms" thing during sex. I would not be surprised if she's a bit of a vindictive shit.

Was it just me or was Homelander staring at Deep's wife when he was talking about "taking whatever he wanted"? Seemed to heavily imply they had sex or were going to.

Yeah it was blatantly clear that his wife is there to move up in the world, I think Homelander going after her (EDIT: and/or her seeking it) is pretty much guaranteed.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    The dinner scene made me giggle, and then feel immensely bad.

There's definitely been a lot of "Ew, wtf" in these three episodes for sure.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I want to feel bad for Deep but then I remember that he's a rapey douche and then I don't feel bad for laughing at all the shit that happens to him.

• Options
    I want to feel bad for Deep but then I remember that he's a rapey douche and then I don't feel bad for laughing at all the shit that happens to him.

Yeah like bad things happen to a bad person, but still being forced to eat your friend alive or be murdered by Homelander is pretty terrible even for a shitty rapist.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Oh yah, the Deep can be both be an unjustly rewarded asshole, but he's also getting karmic retribution in the process of getting what he wants, and it might be a little disproportionate to make it a bit 'be careful what you wish for' type thing. It's a very Fiasco situation where if he survives, he's gonna was he was back just protecting the midwest.

Also, the fact they did the inverse of the famous "Superman talking a girl down from suicide" scene and managed to make it not hackneyed feels like a bit of sorcery to me. But I'll chalk that up to Antony Starr knowing just how hard to press on Homelander's sociopathy and narcissism in a given scene.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I really get the feeling the running theme for Deep on the show is every time he tries to set himself on a path to redemption, he gets used, abused or otherwise beaten back down again because he can't break away from the idea that he needs to be a part of something for guidance so he keeps running back to the Seven or this religious cult. I'm going to go ahead and predict that if he survives through the end of the show, they're ultimately going to run with the message that he finally goes off on his own to discover his own path.

• Options
    I still feel ultimately this season will end up with the 7 against homelander like at the "end" of their bad movie.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I really get the feeling the running theme for Deep on the show is every time he tries to set himself on a path to redemption, he gets used, abused or otherwise beaten back down again because he can't break away from the idea that he needs to be a part of something for guidance so he keeps running back to the Seven or this religious cult. I'm going to go ahead and predict that if he survives through the end of the show, they're ultimately going to run with the message that he finally goes off on his own to discover his own path.

Deep just needs to accept who he is and go there way of poison ivy from the Harley Quinn cartoon. Full on eco terrorist saving whales.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching the first 3 episodes.

I can't believe they took the stupid "Why doesn't Antman crawl up Thanos butthole" and made it a reality.

Anthony Starr is just so amazing in this show and I doubt it would work as good without him.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I can't believe they took the stupid "Why doesn't Antman crawl up Thanos butthole" and made it a reality.

Anthony Starr is just so amazing in this show and I doubt it would work as good without him.

He's doing one of those 'too good' at being a villain performances. I hope he doesn't get shit for it out in the real world like Joffrey and other actors get.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

He's doing one of those 'too good' at being a villain performances. I hope he doesn't get shit for it out in the real world like Joffrey and other actors get.

The incident in Spain earlier this year made me a little worried that he's tapping something personal for his performance. He's since apologized and taken ownership of it, but cynical me wonders if it was genuine or Amazon having a little word with him.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022

https://youtu.be/p-Jk0E4alrY

I think he'll do alright.

Probably also doesn't hurt that, for the "fantasy is reality" weirdo fans, Homelander is mercurial and fucking terrifying. That ought to give them some pause.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    So Edgar
    has to have a trump card to deal with Homelander right?
    there's no way Vought is this cavalier with his emotional state without having an ace up their sleeves

What if Soldier Boy was taken by the Russians to be used to as a lab rat to develop an anti-supe virus or chemical weapon or something

override367 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So Edgar
    there's no way Vought is this cavalier with his emotional state without having an ace up their sleeves

What if Soldier Boy was taken by the Russians to be used to as a lab rat to develop an anti-supe virus or chemical weapon or something

comics spoilers
    in the comics the Terrible Tina and head exploding thing was all part of the Russia arc (no soldier boy, it was just signal implants)

So I'm guessing they cherry picked bits and pieces of it. Also I think we've never seen what a depleted uranium round does to homelander, let alone six thousand of them. I'm willing to bet Vaught has contingencies to just nuke homelander as a last resort.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    So Edgar

I can't tell which rules the show has setup for itself.
    either
    a) homelander is just a freak amongst supers and no one in the show can touch him. The solution to defeating him is not engaging him in a fight. Edgar seems to understand how to push Homelander's buttons and for all his bluster, Homelander so very very obviously needs adoration and positive support from 3rd parties.
    b) homelander can be beaten by other supers, in which case I'm leaning towards Nadia. Homelander likes to gloat, that's a reasonable enough time window for her to pop his cells.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    For all.Homelander's bluster he wants respect from those he perceives as respectable and he doesn't want to be king of a wasteland. He wants the high life, he wants to sit in the #1 talk show slot, he wants to have young starlets falling over themselves for him. He doesn't want to lead a bunch of dickhead nazis in some revolution, unless it bumps his ratings and gets him the other things. He doesnt believe he can get what he wants with violence against Edgar, apparently, and he is getting 90% of what he wants, aside from the talk show slot. If he played ball he could have his own talk show or whatever, he's just...not very competent at the wheeling and dealing?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2022
    I've been assuming for a while now that we're going to get to a point where Homelander goes completely off the reservation, Vaught tries to use their contingencies, and it fails completely. It's a pretty well worn trope, but it would definitely fit here.

Then it's up to our plucky misfits to save the day.

Or they fail too and Homelander becomes godking.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    There's also the thing were we've never seen Homelander actually fight anyone because he's never had too. He either casually murders someone or doesn't.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I've been assuming for a while now that we're going to get to a point where Homelander goes completely off the reservation, Vaught tries to use their contingencies, and it fails completely. It's a pretty well worn trope, but it would definitely fit here.

Then it's up to our plucky misfits to save the day.

Or they fail too and Homelander becomes godking.

Given what they're doing with the supe juice I'm leaning a bit in the direction that they will do something similar to the comic route but with Butcher and Homelander rather than Black Noir and Homelander.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    There's also the thing were we've never seen Homelander actually fight anyone because he's never had too. He either casually murders someone or doesn't.

I hope he doesn't fall into the shtick of "never been injured and can't emotionally cope with any pain at all", it's such a copout for avoiding him being a threat after you first strike him

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »
    For all.Homelander's bluster he wants respect from those he perceives as respectable and he doesn't want to be king of a wasteland. He wants the high life, he wants to sit in the #1 talk show slot, he wants to have young starlets falling over themselves for him. He doesn't want to lead a bunch of dickhead nazis in some revolution, unless it bumps his ratings and gets him the other things. He doesnt believe he can get what he wants with violence against Edgar, apparently, and he is getting 90% of what he wants, aside from the talk show slot. If he played ball he could have his own talk show or whatever, he's just...not very competent at the wheeling and dealing?

In his mind he shouldn't have to wheel and deal, he's Homelander. He's better than everyone else.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if Hughie doesn't take some fo the V24 stuff. Could spin in a bit of inadequacy to Starlight with Supersonic around. Then that is what ultimately leads to him and Starlight breaking up.

• Options
    Tumin wrote: »

I hope he doesn't fall into the shtick of "never been injured and can't emotionally cope with any pain at all", it's such a copout for avoiding him being a threat after you first strike him
    I don't think pain is going to make him go catatonic or anything but I do think someone legitimately beating him up is going to be a shock to his system. If I had to guess now I'd say a juiced up Butcher is going to kick his ass but not kill him, and that is what finally sends Homelander over the edge. But that's just a guess.