As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I remember liking XIII back on the Gamecube. The graphics were pretty fun.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It'll look good on a shelf next to L.A. Noire.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ...Maybe if you put two Fs in front.

That's quite the low blow.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I shotgunne
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ...Maybe if you put two Fs in front.

Hello police. I'd like to report a murder.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Analysts say switch will keep selling like that through the next gen launch and will beat the newcomers for the next months.

i see no reason to disagree.

I anticipate that the first quarter of Xbox and Playstation stuff is gonna be, in addition to limited supplies, also featuring a slew of firmware updates, UI issues, other finicky problems, not to mention significant launch title delays (hello, Halo Infinite) and most likely digital storefront issues and waiting for apps for Netflix and HBO Max and whatever.

Meanwhile the Switch has like 99% of all that ironed out, or at least having reached a point of relative homeostasis functionality that buyers can see the Switch ecosystem and user experience for what is is. Developers have made up their minds about the Switch, the ports that exist and will exist, and there are a number of very respectable titles already in place. It’s an extremely tangible product, and for the cost of either of the other consoles you could probably get a Switch and four or five traditional physical games at this point, or even a second Switch. Think about that.

Nintendo has very excellent positioning for this holiday season.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Analysts say switch will keep selling like that through the next gen launch and will beat the newcomers for the next months.

I anticipate that the first quarter of Xbox and Playstation stuff is gonna be, in addition to limited supplies, also featuring a slew of firmware updates, UI issues, other finicky problems, not to mention significant launch title delays (hello, Halo Infinite) and most likely digital storefront issues and waiting for apps for Netflix and HBO Max and whatever.

Plus likely DDoS attacks on XBL and PSN by assholes for the holiday lulz.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Whoever designed the void levels in Mario Sunshine needs a swift kick to the nards.
    I remember being frustrated with them when playing on the GC, but now I really like them. On this playthrough especially, they felt hard but fair. Contrasted to 64 and Galaxy, whose hardest parts were due to the camera. I am very fond of the design decision of the blue coin versions of the void levels, where you have to rethink the same level now that you have FLUDD at your disposal.

My biggest problem with the void levels is the strange obsession with rotating or tumbling cubes. The point at which the slope of your rotating cube platform has become too steep for Mario to stand on is nigh impossible to decipher with the flat shading and 2D screen, so Mario slides off what looks to be a safe platform seemingly at random. I have a lot more problems but that one is the most irritating by far.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular

Meanwhile the Switch has like 99% of all that ironed out, or at least having reached a point of relative homeostasis functionality that buyers can see the Switch ecosystem and user experience for what is is. Developers have made up their minds about the Switch, the ports that exist and will exist, and there are a number of very respectable titles already in place. It’s an extremely tangible product, and for the cost of either of the other consoles you could probably get a Switch and four or five traditional physical games at this point, or even a second Switch. Think about that.

I'm the one who suggested that the Switch might sell really strongly again during the holidays, but with the new generation launching, I think it is definitely possible that Nintendo might not see strong console sales, but instead have to make do with "merely" selling a ton of games for all the new Switches purchased this year. Like, if we were deciding how many Switches to make, that sounds like a tough call.

And you mentioned a "second Switch", funny enough I got a couple of ads about that specific thing, AND got a survey on the Nintendo website asking about "whether I was interested in more than one Switch". So yeah, it's pretty clear that Nintendo is trying to figure out what the future holds for them.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Bad news, fellow humans! The XIII switch port has been delayed to next year! :(:(:(:(
    Seriously who the fuck wants this

I want it. I never did beat it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    So someone mentioned Ys: Origins a couple of pages back. I believe it was @rahkeesh2000

I love it, even though I find "climb the tower" to be a rather boring theme for RPGs. I know this seems bizarrely specific, and I can't really explain it, but as a setting it's a turn off for me. Even so, I really do like the game a lot. The only other one I played was Ark of Napishtim. They feel very similar.

My only real complaint about Origins is that Hugo comes across as a total dick. Also, sexist. But whatever. Thankfully I played Yunica's chapter first.

• Options
    Ark of Napishtem apparently founded the engine that Origins and Oath in Felghana used. Haven't dug to far into VIII but I'm not sure how you can retain this crazy gameplay with what I'm assuming are more detailed graphics in following engines. The fixed camera angles and zoomed out view make it work just like Diablo style games work best, especially since the whole game has the kind of breakneck speed that late game/broken items can give you in the Diablo series.

Also a tower is just an upside down dungeon so yeah, Diablo (1) again, which serves me well. I got a bit lost in Book I so this more linear quest is more my speed for the moment.

• Options

I see a lot of people committing this fallacy. It does not matter how much less desirable the next gen consoles are because they are selling out anyway. They are desirable enough to sell out and that's all Sony and MS will need for a while.

If you want a new system for most people it will have to be a Switch because that is all that is available. Nintendo has to stand or fall mostly on its own merits because you won't be able to buy its competitors.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I see a lot of people committing this fallacy. It does not matter how much less desirable the next gen consoles are because they are selling out anyway. They are desirable enough to sell out and that's all Sony and MS will need for a while.

If you want a new system for most people it will have to be a Switch because that is all that is available. Nintendo has to stand or fall mostly on its own merits because you won't be able to buy its competitors.

True; but also there will still be a market (however small) for the Xbox One and PS4. There are always some people who will pick one of those up at this point in the lifecycle, mainly because of budget - folks who can't always afford the latest and greatest and want something for their kids, or just to play FIFA on. It's probably not a huge number but it's there - and why MS haven't discontinued the Xbox One S yet, unlike the X which was obviously aimed at a different customer. (Not sure if Sony are still producing PS4 Sllims/Pros but history suggests they are doing with at least one of them.)

That said, I would expect the Switch to appeal to those budget-conscious customers too, despite its hefty up-front cost (a Switch costs more than an Xbox Series S, remember).

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Both of those have been selling relatively well this pandemic for dead-end consoles, so yeah current gen is a consideration. Especially with Sony finally admitting that they will release their high-profile titles for it through next year. Gamestop isn't offering juicy trade-ins right now on current gen for nothing, they will probably move plenty in the holiday.

Still a fair amount of those sales seem to have been "I'm buying a pandemic babysitter and Switch is out of stock" sales, so we're back to Nintendo flying off the shelves before Sony/MS can pick up the scraps with current gen.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Both of those have been selling relatively well this pandemic for dead-end consoles, so yeah current gen is a consideration. Especially with Sony finally admitting that they will release their high-profile titles for it through next year. Gamestop isn't offering juicy trade-ins right now on current gen for nothing, they will probably move plenty in the holiday.

Still a fair amount of those sales seem to have been "I'm buying a pandemic babysitter and Switch is out of stock" sales, so we're back to Nintendo flying off the shelves before Sony/MS can pick up the scraps with current gen.

And the pandemic isn't exactly ending anytime soon.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    We're just prognosticating here, but I'm having a difficult time imagining people who WANT to pick up a current-gen Xbox/PS, but they're hard to come by so they just shrug and say, "well, I guess I'll pick up a/nother Switch." Aren't they just going to save that money until they can find one? Even to next year?

jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think a lot of what happens this next generation depends on how the audience perceives the diskless PS5 and the Series S. There will be plenty of demand for the $600 versions for at least a few months, but that could burn through quick -- especially with the pandemic. Which is why both Sony and Microsoft went with cheaper versions. I'd put better odds on the diskless PS5 doing well, since the pandemic has trained people to go digital. But it still runs the danger as being perceived as being gimped. That danger's much greater for the Series S, which actually is weaker hardware. Plus it's much smaller, which might really make people think it's hobbled (just like people thought the Gamecube was weaker than the competition because it was a purple lunchbox, but it was stronger than the PS2).

Of course there's also the wrinkle that there's very, very few next-gen exclusives scheduled through 2021, which could compound soft sales if prices don't drop and pandemic suffering continues. Or will the monthly subscription services boost things? Microsoft's got a head start but it doesn't seem to have juiced One sales. Maybe it'll catch on with the Series? Or will Sony's efforts overshadow it?

This is a very, very weird generation that's hard to predict.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Honestly, I think a lot of what happens this next generation depends on how the audience perceives the diskless PS5 and the Series S. There will be plenty of demand for the $600 versions for at least a few months, but that could burn through quick -- especially with the pandemic. Which is why both Sony and Microsoft went with cheaper versions. I'd put better odds on the diskless PS5 doing well, since the pandemic has trained people to go digital. But it still runs the danger as being perceived as being gimped. That danger's much greater for the Series S, which actually is weaker hardware. Plus it's much smaller, which might really make people think it's hobbled (just like people thought the Gamecube was weaker than the competition because it was a purple lunchbox, but it was stronger than the PS2).

Of course there's also the wrinkle that there's very, very few next-gen exclusives scheduled through 2021, which could compound soft sales if prices don't drop and pandemic suffering continues. Or will the monthly subscription services boost things? Microsoft's got a head start but it doesn't seem to have juiced One sales. Maybe it'll catch on with the Series? Or will Sony's efforts overshadow it?

Hard to predict aside from NintenDOOOOOOOOMED.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Not sure how many times it has to be demonstrated that the pandemic is a major *boon* to video games sales. People who have jobs are tending to spend more money on home entertainment and less on parties/bars/vacations/summer camp, which is why Nintendo's profits are over doubled and next-gen preorders sold out their $500 consoles in record time. The one thing you can be sure of this year and next is that all the major players are going to have bigger success than usual.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    It’s really hard to tell what’s most important to consumers right now. It might be a really cruddy time to go out and get a new console. Maybe not “What if the Playstation 2 doesn’t die” levels of concern regarding the next generation catching on, but it’s hard to tell.

• Options
    Ark of Napishtem apparently founded the engine that Origins and Oath in Felghana used. Haven't dug to far into VIII but I'm not sure how you can retain this crazy gameplay with what I'm assuming are more detailed graphics in following engines. The fixed camera angles and zoomed out view make it work just like Diablo style games work best, especially since the whole game has the kind of breakneck speed that late game/broken items can give you in the Diablo series.

Also a tower is just an upside down dungeon so yeah, Diablo (1) again, which serves me well. I got a bit lost in Book I so this more linear quest is more my speed for the moment.

I know, it's just a weird hangup I have about towers. I mean it's pretty robust as dungeons go, I just like my RPGs to be more horizontally laid out rather than vertically. I know, I'm weird.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Lucas Pope, creator of Obra Dinn, recorded himself making the Obra Dinn, and has released a timelapse of that recording.

It's an hour, but it covers five years, so yeah. It's pretty awesome.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Glad to see that Master Blaster Zero 2 still has the absolutely comical fall damage.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Of course there's also the wrinkle that there's very, very few next-gen exclusives scheduled through 2021... *snip*

Yeah it's weird. And speaking of console-exclusive titles, it's crazy to me that the Switch is getting Monster Hunter: Rise next year. Exclusively, right? I'm honestly not sure how big that will be in NA (especially considering the relatively new popularity of the franchise due to MH:W), but that's a major release in many places, right?

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Of course there's also the wrinkle that there's very, very few next-gen exclusives scheduled through 2021... *snip*

Yeah it's weird. And speaking of console-exclusive titles, it's crazy to me that the Switch is getting Monster Hunter: Rise next year. Exclusively, right? I'm honestly not sure how big that will be in NA (especially considering the relatively new popularity of the franchise due to MH:W), but that's a major release in many places, right?

Isn’t Monster Hunter World closer to, say, Destiny in terms of player attendance incentives and such? Expansion DLC, event costumes and so on?

I don’t really know what Rise is versus World so it’s a little hard to gauge its significance in comparison.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Isn’t Monster Hunter World closer to, say, Destiny in terms of player attendance incentives and such? Expansion DLC, event costumes and so on?

I don’t really know what Rise is versus World so it’s a little hard to gauge its significance in comparison.

Rise is basically "5th Generation Portable" MH title, where as World is the "5th Generation" MH title. They almost always do a main new game title, and then a portable version of it as a stop-gap between the next new generation of MH games. Rise is going to probably skew closer to the older games with event quests being permanently available after they release however, but retain a lot of the quality of life changes World added.

I think Rise is going to sell pretty well (at least 5 million), but I don't know if it'll reach the crazy heights that World did being multi-platform.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I saw an article way back that put forth the opinion that maybe this generation should be delayed. There's very little hype around everything. Development has taken a turn because of... everything. Very few games that aren't also getting previous gen releases. There's the whole question of how successful things are going to sell when everybody is out of work. There is overall no pressing need to jumpstart this generation, and it's probably going to start off with a congested wheeze at best. Why not just put everything on pause, wait for shit to sort out, and then do it properly when we can get the proper bang it deserves?

It was just an opinion piece, and not like a call to action or anything. And it's ultimately moot since I guess they really do want to start this new generation. It's just that nothing about it feels special or "worth it" at the moment.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Relevant to recent discussion my sister told me they are finally getting a Switch for their three kids (8, 6, and 4) because they have been bugging her for 6 months saying "everyone else already has one, we are the LAST KIDS without one!!"

So now I get to be the cool uncle and help to get them set up and buy them good games. I'm getting Untitled Goose Game for the youngest because he loved it when we played it together earlier.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I saw an article way back that put forth the opinion that maybe this generation should be delayed. There's very little hype around everything. Development has taken a turn because of... everything. Very few games that aren't also getting previous gen releases. There's the whole question of how successful things are going to sell when everybody is out of work. There is overall no pressing need to jumpstart this generation, and it's probably going to start off with a congested wheeze at best. Why not just put everything on pause, wait for shit to sort out, and then do it properly when we can get the proper bang it deserves?

It was just an opinion piece, and not like a call to action or anything. And it's ultimately moot since I guess they really do want to start this new generation. It's just that nothing about it feels special or "worth it" at the moment.

I'd imagine the launch dates were set internally years ago. And if one company went "look, it's not worth it, we'll bring our box out next year when we've got more stuff to launch alongside it and maybe shit won't be so fucked up literally everywhere", and the other was like "nope, give us them sweet holiday monies", then the company that effectively tried to do the right thing would get penalised for no good reason.

It's just meant that the launch line-ups are slim and almost entirely made up of enhanced versions of games your existing box can still play just fine.

Honestly I'm more narked that this gen wants me to buy an entirely new soundbar because they've all binned off optical SPDIF, and wants me to buy a new telly as well because they'd rather shove 4K and 120Hz at me than anything else.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I'd imagine the launch dates were set internally years ago. And if one company went "look, it's not worth it, we'll bring our box out next year when we've got more stuff to launch alongside it and maybe shit won't be so fucked up literally everywhere", and the other was like "nope, give us them sweet holiday monies", then the company that effectively tried to do the right thing would get penalised for no good reason.

It's just meant that the launch line-ups are slim and almost entirely made up of enhanced versions of games your existing box can still play just fine.

Honestly I'm more narked that this gen wants me to buy an entirely new soundbar because they've all binned off optical SPDIF, and wants me to buy a new telly as well because they'd rather shove 4K and 120Hz at me than anything else.

And a new entertainment center because they're so goddamned large.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Relevant to recent discussion my sister told me they are finally getting a Switch for their three kids (8, 6, and 4) because they have been bugging her for 6 months saying "everyone else already has one, we are the LAST KIDS without one!!"

So now I get to be the cool uncle and help to get them set up and buy them good games. I'm getting Untitled Goose Game for the youngest because he loved it when we played it together earlier.

Yes, exactly! It's no coincidence that our oldest is also 8 (all three are 6, 7, and 8). My oldest just BEGS to watch Mario Maker 2 videos; even before I got a Switch he told me about the levels he wanted to make.

And okay, anecdote time. Kids are dumb and they like the dumbest things. Right now they have just wanted to play Knight Squad, quick multiplayer battles, which is... okay I guess? But it's kind of ugly and not especially sophisticated, but the kids like it for some reason. But just recently, the game has become completely unplayable because my oldest is FREAKISHLY good at the game. Like, at one point I devoted ALL of my efforts to keep him from getting points, and another time we even did a 1-vs-3 against him... and he STILL WON. For the last couple of matches I only allowed him to play if he didn't touch the attack button.

Like, wow, I'm feeling shockingly uncool right now. 8-year-olds are scary.

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

It's not really that bad, either. The dedicated fans get it earlier, and everyone else gets it later with more games and some of the launch kinks worked out.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's virtually unheard of for a console to really unarguably be worth getting in its first year. If they're done well they get one or two triple A titles at launch or close to it, but then they have to get by on prettier previous-gen ports while they settle down and wait for dedicated games to come out for them.

Switch got a sweet deal where it could cannibalise the Wii U library and be new to 90% of users, plus the quick appeal for indie titles.

And I say this as someone who's preordered a PS5. I'm expecting it to be about a year before the main reasons for buying it come out, I'm doing it now because I can get some better performing PS4 games and a console that hopefully won't sound like it's about to take off.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I also think launching in March was an incredibly smart move. November is such a glut of games and holiday stuff that I'm shocked when companies release games at all. March is such a cleaner time and a period when fewer game bombs are hitting.

Plus, it allowed Nintendo time to get systems out to the hardcore folks and get stock built back up for the holiday push.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I've been playing two sorta hidden gems that I wanna tell you guys about.

First one is a game called Valfaris. It has a very Heavy Metal aesthetic, sort of retro, and is ridiculously hard (but in a good way). It's a very solid 2d platformer and it's $12 rn during the sale. The best way I can describe it is a cross between Heavy Metal, Castlevania, and Donkey Kong Country. It's a sequel to a game called Slain that appears to be quite similar, you can get both as a package deal for around $40:
    https://youtu.be/758YGA4Rp3Y

link to the doublepack
    game by itself.

The other game is another 2d platformer by the name of Hardcore Mecha. It's very over the top and anime, but is also self aware (within the first 20 minutes I got called a model kit and told I was watching too much anime). The mechs are a bit cartoony looking but they have a real heft to them and really feel like giant robots moving around and fighting. The gameplay is solid and fun and there's tons of stuff you'd normally expect in an armored core type game like swappable parts and upgrades. There's also a vs mode where you can go head to head with other hero mechs. This just came out a few days ago and has a demo in the eshop for you to check it out for yourselves. It reminds me a bit of Mega Man, like a Gundam infused Mega Man game.

https://youtu.be/1WDccnw4_1U

store page and demo link.

The Switch truly is a platforming wonderland.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    Can and will absolutely vouch for Valfaris. Badass Heavy Metal Contra. So great.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    I'm at 93 stars in Super Mario 64 now.

Surprisingly, I didn't have much trouble with Rainbow Road. I found the magic carpet stars pretty straightforward and nailed them on the first try. Tricky Triangles was a total pain in the butt, though, as was 100 coins. I got 98 once and slid into oblivion right after. Such rage.

Hazy Maze and Shifting Sand Lands can screw off, though. And Tick Tock Clock literally gives me anxiety.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

I thought I'd be the cool uncle.

Nope, still a nerd. Just like yooouuuuu!

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    We're just prognosticating here, but I'm having a difficult time imagining people who WANT to pick up a current-gen Xbox/PS, but they're hard to come by so they just shrug and say, "well, I guess I'll pick up a/nother Switch." Aren't they just going to save that money until they can find one? Even to next year?

I have seen the animal crossing one and the lite at work
    But I am progronsticating over getting certain games at work like cat quest 2 and TMS #FE since it's cheaper to get the cart instead of the download
    But I am also debating about getting hyrule warriors 2 in a few as well