As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Will be interesting if it can continue with the new console launches coming.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Love seeing the vtuber and let’s player videos of Mario 64. A new generation to experience the pain of early 3D games.

I've only got stars left in Shifting Sand Land and Rainbow Ride, so close to 100% completion, but uh. Mmmn. Naaaaah, think I might be done! These levels is BUTTS

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Will be interesting if it can continue with the new console launches coming.

With the inevitable shortages of the new consoles, I'd expect at least some uptick as people buy a new Switch because they want a new something else and can't get one.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I dunno there should be no way a console that has been out this long and is already owned by so many, could outsell a brand new console.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Brand new consoles can't set any records, they're just too limited. They can sell every single unit and still not be close to how many Switches will be available.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Especially when we have companies splitting their own market with two models of their console.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Love seeing the vtuber and let’s player videos of Mario 64. A new generation to experience the pain of early 3D games.

I've only got stars left in Shifting Sand Land and Rainbow Ride, so close to 100% completion, but uh. Mmmn. Naaaaah, think I might be done! These levels is BUTTS

Tick Tock Clock is worse than Rainbow Ride in my opinion. That terrible camera turns what would probably be a reasonably challenging platforming level into a fucking nightmare.

The only thing I hate about Rainbow Ride is trying to get on that fucking boat. And they want you to do it twice.

Glad those levels can be skipped entirely and still beat the game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The good thing about Tick Tock Clock is controlling the speed of the moving elements.
    Which is done based on the time the hands are on when you jump into the clock. If the minute hand is at 12, everything will be stopped.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular

I watched a Vtuber break down cursing Mario and his entire bloodline in three different languages while playing mario 64 and it was the most beautiful thing iv ever seen

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Especially when we have companies splitting their own market with two models of their console.

Hold up. At first I was like, “Sure, there’s the PS5 models and the Xbox Series S/X” but then, like, doesn’t Nintendo also split their own product with the Switch and Switch Lite?

Does the OG Switch still outsell everyone else? Or does the Lite count as a sale for reasons the Sony and Microsoft variations wouldn’t?

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    There are still supply shortages of switches though. Like i only got one because i happened to be looking at best buy like the hour they got some in stock. And in the time i talked to my wife about it they sold out of the gray joycon version. If they dont have supply worked out yet, the new consoles they have been stockpiling for release will sell more just because there are more in the first month anyway.

• Options

Hold up. At first I was like, “Sure, there’s the PS5 models and the Xbox Series S/X” but then, like, doesn’t Nintendo also split their own product with the Switch and Switch Lite?

Does the OG Switch still outsell everyone else? Or does the Lite count as a sale for reasons the Sony and Microsoft variations wouldn’t?

I hadn't thought of that, I'm not sure how NPD counts these sales. I guess it would have to be by "family" whether they're the same hardware with different physical capabilities (Switch) or different hardware with the same physical capabilities (Xbox).

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I hadn't thought of that, I'm not sure how NPD counts these sales. I guess it would have to be by "family" whether they're the same hardware with different physical capabilities (Switch) or different hardware with the same physical capabilities (Xbox).

Yeah, it's by family.

Regarding which system is the top seller this holiday: honestly, it's all down to supply. There's enough pent-up demand for a new PlayStation/Xbox that they could sell a huge amount if they had the ability. But Nintendo tends to get a much bigger holiday boost since it has more kid appeal.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular

• Options
    I think of it differently when the games themselves require different design/specs. Like if you ask, "should I buy the 3DS or the 3DS XL?!" the difference between the two is almost inherent in the name. They both run the same games. If you ask, "series S or series X?!" the question gets trickier. It's not just about the power level, you also have to ask yourself if you're going to want to buy discs or not.

• Options
    Speaking of NPD stuff:

Also, Mario 3D All-Stars had the sixth-highest selling launch month for a Nintendo game. It was number two in the overall NPD behind Avengers -- but since Nintendo doesn't report digital sales to NPD (Squeenix and most other companies do) it might have actually been the best-selling game.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Switch is entering that "it's everywhere" phase.

Anecdote: my brother is buying one this week for himself and his kids. He hasn't touched anything gaming since the 16-bit era. He's excited for it specifically because of all the retro games it has. Things he remembers from back in the day.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Anecdote: my brother is buying one this week for himself and his kids. He hasn't touched anything gaming since the 16-bit era. He's excited for it specifically because of all the retro games it has. Things he remembers from back in the day.

This is only from my limited experience, but when school started, I saw them available more widely. That's when I picked up my own. Sharing my experience on reddit, I heard a lot of similar stories. But the holidays are coming up, I think it's entirely possible that we'll see shortages again, new alternative consoles notwithstanding.

And speaking to your anecdote, I also bought one for the fam, I also hadn't been firmly in the console space since the original NES. But I've been doing PC gaming, my nostalgia only touches on stuff like Dodgeball and Megaman. I'm not immune to nostalgia-bait, but for me, I'm prioritizing new Mario titles, plus the availability of a HUGE variety of indie games on the Steam-like eShop. Like, I picked up Celeste, that is premier gaming right there. Also picked up Steamworld Dig on the cheap since the reviews were okay, very fun and chill. There's a bit of buzz over Green Hell, a brutal survival game that has ticked my fancy, looking for a chance to pick that up. I love finding these unique and personal development projects on a portable game platform.

A bit of an aside, but besides Mario, I don't have much draw for AAA titles. It took a LOT of gushingly positive reviews to get me to buy Zelda: Breath of the Wild, so that will be my FIRST Zelda game. They got me!

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I think I know one gamer type person closely IRL who doesn't have a Switch. And that's only because he was very soured on Nintendo's online setup after an attempt to remove his card details on his 3DS resulted in him losing all his digital purchases and Nintendo wouldn't/couldn't help because of how it was tied to the hardware or somesuch.

But, despite all that, he's still considering one at some point, which is no mean feat in itself (in part because I've clarified to him that Switch digital stuff is tied to the account... for the most part (looking at you, Animal Crossing)). Although right now he's mostly looking forward to his successfully pre-ordered PS5.

Jazz on
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    I think I know one gamer type person closely IRL who doesn't have a Switch. *snip*

Yeah, our kids are just reaching game-playing age, we know several similar families, and we're also seeing the Switch becoming more prevalent in that demographic.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

No lie, the Switch hits an awfully good sweet spot by being an extremely nice portable that also plays on HD televisions, while also having the underrated library options of:

-an uncharacteristically strong lineup of new first party Nintendo releases
    -a lineup of re-releases from the Wii/WiiU generations
    -rereleases/remasters of major releases such as Dark Souls
    -digital rereleases of SNES and NES games, including third party titles, often via Nintendo Online for an expanding library for subscription
    -significant RPG representation
    -‘culture games’ (for lack of a better term) such as Minecraft and Fortnight
    -digital rereleases of non-Nintendo stuff, such as Sega and Neo Geo materials
    -strong digital platform for numerous (and I mean numerous) scrappy indie games from god knows where
    -strong digital presence for high-profile indie titles, such as Hades, untitled goose game, etc

That’s an extremely healthy venn diagram overlay for giving people stuff they want to do, without even mentioning the traditional third party physical releases, which has historically been Nintendo’s weak area. They’ve done a very good job representing most areas of gaming. Certainly not all, of course-but apart from the PS4 and Xbox flagship releases, but if there’s something you want to play, I’d say there’s nearly an 85% chance the Switch has it in good form.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    They’ve done a very good job representing most areas of gaming. Certainly not all, of course-but apart from the PS4 and Xbox flagship releases, but if there’s something you want to play, I’d say there’s nearly an 85% chance the Switch has it in good form.

Notably lacking from that venn diagram? Games as a Service. And apparently it's not missed. Also probably the reason I've enjoyed gaming on my Switch more than any other more online device.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    "Nintendo releases barebones Mario ports, laughs all the way to the bank" is hardly surprising, but it's probably the final nail in a Virtual Console coffin

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    "Nintendo releases barebones Mario ports, laughs all the way to the bank" is hardly surprising, but it's probably the final nail in a Virtual Console coffin

Probably. The virtual NES/SNES are pretty good selections at least, with all the major first-party games now. The third-party stuff probably wasn't ever going to come back after Nintendo proved how much money it could make.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    ...and it's dead again. Well, not dead, I might be able to reset it again if I let it sit for a while, but at this point I have to assume that it'll just break again.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    They’ve done a very good job representing most areas of gaming. Certainly not all, of course-but apart from the PS4 and Xbox flagship releases, but if there’s something you want to play, I’d say there’s nearly an 85% chance the Switch has it in good form.

Notably lacking from that venn diagram? Games as a Service. And apparently it's not missed. Also probably the reason I've enjoyed gaming on my Switch more than any other more online device.

Fortnite, Warframe, Overwatch, Warface, DC Online, DQX (in Japan), and soon Genshin Impact.

It's only missing from the list because y'all ignoring it, about as easily as you could on any other console.

• Options
    Oh, Switch is getting Genshin Impact? That's kinda funny. The game, which by all accounts is genuinely good and worthwhile and playable without ponying up money, is very very very very very very very very very influenced by Breath of the Wild.

That game is absolutely huge though.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I would be willing to argue that this is less of an indicator of the switch being good, and more of an indicator that the gaming industry is growing. Before the 360, the best selling console was the PS2, and before that the PS1, and before that, the SNES. New generations are regularly outselling the previous record holder when they hit their stride.

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »

Fortnite, Warframe, Overwatch, Warface, DC Online, DQX (in Japan), and soon Genshin Impact.

It's only missing from the list because y'all ignoring it, about as easily as you could on any other console.

It is kind of amazing. Like what is the Switch truly lacking? Destiny? Call of Duty? Halo? A robust fighting game presence beyond Smash? Fallout? Maybe some high-end racing simulators, and Final Fantasy titles after 12. And that’s...a strong amount of the missing. Maybe more non-Monster Hunter representation from Capcom would be nice.

I’m sure there’s more (I’m well aware of Sony’s many excellent first party titles, but there’s arguments to be made that many of them have some Nintendo equivalent or rebuttal), but I feel like that’s most of what the Switch doesn’t have.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on Moonlighter vs Children of Morta for my next purchase?

Sure, I have both.

So, probably Moria is my suggestion, but it depends on what kind of mood you're in. Get both, eventually. :D

I loved both and I would also give the nod to Moria. I really enjoyed Mordorlighter, but the characters and story progression of Children of Moria give it the edge. I'd agree with Drez that you should eventually try both.

• Options
    No lie, the Switch hits an awfully good sweet spot by being an extremely nice portable that also plays on HD televisions, while also having the underrated library options of:

-digital rereleases of SNES and NES games, including third party titles, often via Nintendo Online for an expanding library for subscription

As of right now in NA, not counting the SP versions of games (really just "games that boot up in a cheater save state"), there are 55 NES games and 35 SNES games on the service.

There were 677 NES games released in NA, so that's 8.1% of the entire NES library. Doesn't sound like much, but I'd wager a good 50% of it is licensed stuff like Goonies, Dick Tracy, Ghostbusters, and another overlapping 50% of it is unplayable today. Another big chunk of the games are unfortunately being offered in other companies' collections/back catalogs like Mega Man, so we've probably got about as much as we could realistically hope for.

There were 721 SNES games in NA so they're giving us 4.8% of the SNES library. Similar thoughts as above, they're not gonna be able to give us the Home Improvement SNES game that everyone on this forum is clamoring for, but we get a nice cross section of good games.

Both of these are fudged slightly since they've included some Japanese games like Lost Levels NES, but close enough.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Whoever designed the void levels in Mario Sunshine needs a swift kick to the nards.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe more non-Monster Hunter representation from Capcom would be nice.

They're doing pretty good too, there are several Mega Man releases, Resident Evils, more minor ports like Okami, and also a great port of Dragon's Dogma.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

They're doing pretty good too, there are several Mega Man releases, Resident Evils, more minor ports like Okami, and also a great port of Dragon's Dogma.

They've been good at porting games to Switch but would be nice to see more new titles.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

They've been good at porting games to Switch but would be nice to see more new titles.

Right. Like I’m aware that in Japan there was a Switch version of Resident Evil 7 (albeir relying on a streaming Internet connection) and there’s been a Devil May Cry collection, but that’s not quite the same.

I kind of get that there’s probably a limited point to porting Street Fighter 5 to the Switch, especially now, but maybe that’s something worth addressing somehow. Like maybe a new Final Fight.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Whoever designed the void levels in Mario Sunshine needs a swift kick to the nards.
    I remember being frustrated with them when playing on the GC, but now I really like them. On this playthrough especially, they felt hard but fair. Contrasted to 64 and Galaxy, whose hardest parts were due to the camera. I am very fond of the design decision of the blue coin versions of the void levels, where you have to rethink the same level now that you have FLUDD at your disposal.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Analysts say switch will keep selling like that through the next gen launch and will beat the newcomers for the next months.

i see no reason to disagree.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Analysts say switch will keep selling like that through the next gen launch and will beat the newcomers for the next months.

i see no reason to disagree.

New consoles always take at least a few months for the sales to ramp up, not least because demand often outstrips what the supply lines can handle. Switches are finally track-down-able without too much difficulty after their spike in demand this year, and given the demand is still high I assume that means Nintendo have had their production ramped up a bit. If Switch isn't the number one selling console this holiday season I'll be amazed.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Bad news, fellow humans! The XIII switch port has been delayed to next year! :(:(:(:(
    Seriously who the fuck wants this

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ...Maybe if you put two Fs in front.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy