As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Got my first clear on Hades.

Decided to try the shield and my first boon was Dinoysus putting poison damage on my shield toss ability. Basically every Boon was like "Hey let's make your shield toss even better." so by the time i got to Hades my shield toss was putting like a 120 damage every half second dot on anything it hit.

I don't even feel like i earned this clear.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Zunde wrote: »

Decided to try the shield and my first boon was Dinoysus putting poison damage on my shield toss ability. Basically every Boon was like "Hey let's make your shield toss even better." so by the time i got to Hades my shield toss was putting like a 120 damage every half second dot on anything it hit.

Of course you did. Every clear is earned. This game is very “how will you break the game today?” and it does NOT care that you’re doing so.

If you’re not letting out super-villian cackles by the time you get to the Temple of Styx, you’re Doing It Wrong.

Death isn’t fair, why should rebelling against it be?

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I have gotten to the final boss with the spear, upgraded so it attacks with 3 prongs like the Monster Energy logo, upgraded again so you lose the Zelda spin and instead just hold down the button for crazy fast repeated attacks, with Zeus chain lightning zapping all over with every single hit.

But I died. But it was the easiest run I'd ever had up to that point. Theseus sucks so much.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I have gotten to the final boss with the spear, upgraded so it attacks with 3 prongs like the Monster Energy logo, upgraded again so you lose the Zelda spin and instead just hold down the button for crazy fast repeated attacks, with Zeus chain lightning zapping all over with every single hit.

But I died. But it was the easiest run I'd ever had up to that point. Theseus sucks so much.

Yeah I think he was my roadblock until I unlocked 3 levels of death-defy. Then I was finally able to win it.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah I think he was my roadblock until I unlocked 3 levels of death-defy. Then I was finally able to win it.

The alt of that where you can die once in every room has been way too valuable for me, but I'll have to see...

I mean depending on how things go and your health level that can be like 30 healing in every room, no other types of healing compare other than on-hit. Often I kill myself in lava before leaving a room so my health ends up higher than it would've been.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

The alt of that where you can die once in every room has been way too valuable for me, but I'll have to see...

I mean depending on how things go and your health level that can be like 30 healing in every room, no other types of healing compare other than on-hit. Often I kill myself in lava before leaving a room so my health ends up higher than it would've been.

Yeah I think the 30% HP upon death is the main reason why I don't do it. 200 gold and you can buy a new defy if you need.

I aim for ~200HP when I make it to the end. So if I die to him at least I get 100HP x 3 = 300 HP for the fight (assuming 0 deaths the entire time up to him, and I die immediately reaching him). Whereas the die per room is 60HP x 3 which is only 180HP. For me it's better to die early, spend the 200 gold to buy a new one somewhere my way up (or run into the guy who refreshes all death defys on the third area) than it is to lose out on a bunch of HP. The final boss hits like a truck.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Wow, is Hyrule Warriors not for me. I knew it was Dynasty Warriors but...hot out the gate, Link juggling dozen of bokoblins with his sword like they weight nothing at all? Just swinging through your allies who essentially do nothing, sweeping up the bokoblins? It’s like you’re fighting balloon animals.

And, I realize I’m overthinking something but it’s pretty dissonant to see Link and the Hyrule knights or whatever in their full plate armor coming out to fight shorter bokoblins wearing like loincloths and nothing else. They just don’t seem like a threatening army.

I’m not sure what I expected but I was really down for an army combat action game. Maybe I just didn’t know what that meant.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Wow, is Hyrule Warriors not for me. I knew it was Dynasty Warriors but...hot out the gate, Link juggling dozen of bokoblins with his sword like they weight nothing at all? Just swinging through your allies who essentially do nothing, sweeping up the bokoblins? It’s like you’re fighting balloon animals.

And, I realize I’m overthinking something but it’s pretty dissonant to see Link and the Hyrule knights or whatever in their full plate armor coming out to fight shorter bokoblins wearing like loincloths and nothing else. They just don’t seem like a threatening army.

I’m not sure what I expected but I was really down for an army combat action game. Maybe I just didn’t know what that meant.

I put a decent amount of time into it and it's not for me either. Thought the LoZ backdrop would offset the mind numbing musou gameplay but it just didn't work for me after an extended try.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’ll add that I played the demo of Age of Calamity and took it off my wishlist, with the same issues above.

These games are not for me.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Hyrule Warriors was my first Musou game.

They are absolutely for me. I have now played many of them.

• Options
    Such a shame. The games are such a great thing to play after spending so much time at work. You have an objective and go kill shit. Each character feels different has different strengths and weaknesses.

It's weird that it doesn't appeal to everyone but I've learned that I'm in the minority who fucking devours these games.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Doesn't have to be for everyone. I'm hoping to hear the final roster and DLC plans here soon though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Warriors games are generally nothing but simplistic button mashers where you slice and dice thousands of faceless mooks.

I'm not saying that as a negative either. It's why I fell in love with Hyrule Warriors. Sometimes I'm in the mood for deep methodical strategy, and sometimes I'm in the mood to mash the X button and watch a fucking spectacle, and damn if the game didn't scratch the latter itch.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be for everyone.

I know. But it's one of those series that could use some competition with other companies. And if it continues to be a niche there's no way it'll get any sort of enhancements.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Really my only complaint about the musou games I've played (Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors) is that you could usually substitute systems mastery with statistical advantage. Even on the difficult setting it didn't always feel like you had to effectively manage the battlefield to win, just have high enough stats that it didn't matter.

To elaborate / clarify: I feel like the real strength of the musou games are less the character action (which, as has been pointed out, is fairly rote and repetitive) and more about the tactical management of the battlefield. Your good guy mooks are weaker than the bad guy mooks, and will ultimately lose, while your player character is absurdly powerful and basically guaranteed to win any fight they get into-- but they can only be in one place at one time. So the real challenge is choosing the best place for your super-unit to be, whether that's farming small enemies to build up your super meter, using your super meter to destroy bosses, or using your ultra-super-meter to really break through the enemy lines. The problem is that if you're overleveled, that time management element evaporates, and if you're underleveled, you can't really make up the difference by playing better-- or if you do, the fight just takes three times as long to win.

I really feel like the game's format would be improved by removing the level-grinding aspect and leaning more heavily into the resource-management and battlefield control side of things.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Ehh. I believe that being able to fully manage the battlefield is how you win. Overleveling just makes it much easier to handle everything. Maybe they should have a mode that locks your level at a specific number to prevent overleveling and then maybe tailor the level to prevent it being a breeze.

I love some of the challenge levels in Hyrule Warriors (don't get hit, use this character, use this weapon, etc) because it does spice things up a bit. Otherwise I'll always just use Link at level 100 if I just want to blitz through a level to get the rewards. But having 30+ characters lets me switch things up a bit when I don't want to murder everything. And that's what I like about it.

• Options
    I would also 100% play a Warriors game that had more resource management stuff. (Although didn't DW9 or something do this?) Building outposts to increase my mook's damage, collecting things to reduce the effectiveness of the enemy army, etc... But too much and it starts feeling like a strategy game with action elements like Natural Selection or something of the sort.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Such a shame. The games are such a great thing to play after spending so much time at work. You have an objective and go kill shit. Each character feels different has different strengths and weaknesses.

It's weird that it doesn't appeal to everyone but I've learned that I'm in the minority who fucking devours these games.

I love mindless button mashing games.

The enemies being completely passive, just standing there waving sticks. The weird weightlessness of the game, seeing dozens of Bokoblins go flying with every swing, then get back up and go back to being completely passive.

I guess it’s meant to look impressive as you carve through hordes, but they went past impressive right to dull.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

I love mindless button mashing games.

The enemies being completely passive, just standing there waving sticks. The weird weightlessness of the game, seeing dozens of Bokoblins go flying with every swing, then get back up and go back to being completely passive.

I guess it’s meant to look impressive as you carve through hordes, but they went past impressive right to dull.

It's... hard to say. Higher level stuff, the like individual stronger mooks (lizalfos and shit) in the first Hyrule Warriors... there were stages were like 2-3 of those could end you if you didn't play well.

But the lowest mook tier are there to die. And just to die. Of course, that can be its own resource management thing if we're looking at kill counts for rankings in side modes (where you need to handle the objectives, get a high kill count, and do it all fast)

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it's like a fighting game where you have to build up your combo points by taking out the trash mobs to have a stronger chance against the mini and full bosses. Volga for example, was always a PITA for me. They definitely should keep iterating on the games and improve them. There's often no reason to take the crystal points and just go straight for the main keeps. give more rewards for fully conquering the map, etc.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Nintendo financial results

Record-breaking 6.5 million Switch sales in Q2, global lifetime sales over 63 million

Mario 3D All-Stars over 5 million, MK8D nearly 29 million, ACNH over 26 million

BotW, Mario Odyssey, and Pokemon SwSh all near 20 million, will probably exceed it over the holiday quarter.

3D All Stars is the 14th best selling Switch game of all time now, beating Link's Awakening, Three Houses, Origami King, the Xenoblades, even Minecraft.

Great, so they know their FOMO strategy works and will keep doing it. And other companies will likely follow.

Wonderful.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Two player hyrule warriors has been most of my favourite gaming memories this last decade.
    Single player feels like a grind but get a friend to pick up the slack and whoops it's been 10 hours.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Nintendo financial results

Record-breaking 6.5 million Switch sales in Q2, global lifetime sales over 63 million

Mario 3D All-Stars over 5 million, MK8D nearly 29 million, ACNH over 26 million

BotW, Mario Odyssey, and Pokemon SwSh all near 20 million, will probably exceed it over the holiday quarter.

3D All Stars is the 14th best selling Switch game of all time now, beating Link's Awakening, Three Houses, Origami King, the Xenoblades, even Minecraft.

Great, so they know their FOMO strategy works and will keep doing it. And other companies will likely follow.

Wonderful.

This would only be correct if this was the first time they'd offered anything for a limited time. We know from past history that they do this once in a while, it's not like every release moving forward is going to be severely limited. And half the time it ends up less limited than expected anyway.

SNES Satellaview's entire market concept was limited time satellite broadcasts you had to be there for in Japan. There were entire games (mostly reskins) with new art and music. Last I checked, in spite of its limited time nature, many of its broadcasts have been preserved for others to experience.

GameCube's Zelda Collector's Edition was only available as a special reward for new Cube owners under certain circumstances. None of these games were unique, and Nintendo has continued selling them through VC or giving them out through NSO.

OoT Master Quest, a full remix of all the game's dungeons and puzzles, was only available as a preorder bonus for Wind Waker. It later became a mode in OoT 3D as well.

Many games were released during the Wii/DS era that were only ever available as Club Nintendo rewards you had to buy using coins you earned from other purchases:

• Game & Watch Collection 1
    • Game & Watch Collection 2
    • Doc Louis' Punch-Out!!
    • Grill-Off with Ultra Hand!
    • Sakebrain (JP only)
    • Tingle's Balloon Fight (JP only)

Four Swords Anniversary Edition was a DSiware download re-release of the extra multiplayer mode from LttP/Four Swords GBA, with some extra features and modes added. It was only available free for a few months in 2011/2012 and then could no longer be downloaded. It came back briefly as a "second chance" offering in 2014 as well.

Mario All-Stars had a 25th anniversary limited edition release on the Wii which was only sold briefly, but then later reprinted and sold under the Nintendo Selects line.

The 3DS ambassador program gave every early 3DS owner 10 NES games and 10 GBA games. While the NES games were eventually sold, the GBA games never were, and remain exclusive (they could be transferred forward to later models).

The NES Classic and SNES Classic were both said to be limited, and both were, though I believe both of them got a second run where Nintendo actually announced "ok yeah you wanted more so we're making more."

Beyond this there have been tons of this scattered throughout the culture of Nintendo, and even gaming as a whole. Some amiibos have been really hard to find, but later got reprints. There are a ton of limited edition consoles that sell out immediately, but currently people are continuing to spot the Animal Crossing one on store shelves which is kind of unprecedented. Pokemon has given out special Pokemon only at events since the beginning of the series, but all these Pokemon continue to be offered sporadically and many become easier to get over time. I could go on.

This is not to say that all of this is so great and awesome. It is just to say that the premise is flawed -- the idea that Nintendo just discovered FOMO and now is going to do it all the time to everything and everyone else is going to do it too is ridiculous.

And again. Good chance they're going to keep selling these games anyway.

And again, a point I made earlier: if all you want is a physical copy of 3D All Stars, it's going to be one of the easier Switch games to find in the wild in perpetuity. Much easier to find than all the games it's already outsold. And if you're angry about the limited release, you're in luck: picking it up used means Nintendo doesn't see a cent, and you probably get it cheaper too. Easy to find, and you get to stick it to them.

Above all, keep in mind that every game has a limited release...you just don't usually know the date they're going to stop printing copies or shut down the online store.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I got halfway down that post and realized I didn’t know who was posting it, but figured it was Uncle Sporky. Bingo!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I got halfway down that post and realized I didn’t know who was posting it, but figured it was Uncle Sporky. Bingo!

I guess I figure it's valuable to lay out past examples to make it more understandable as a relatively uncommon tactic that crops up sometimes in various ways. Don't expect, for example, Prime 4 to see a 6-month-only release. Or the next Mario Kart or Smash.

Honestly in almost every single case, it's been a rerelease or a remake of existing games. Even Mario 35 as a new game...is an old game.

• Options
    I want to say the Zelda collection disc was given away another method too, but I can't recall what it was.

I know I have it sitting around somewhere though.

• Options
    I want to say the Zelda collection disc was given away another method too, but I can't recall what it was.

It was different worldwide, but I think the other way you're thinking of was the Nintendo Power subscription way. I also always got it mixed up with the Master Quest giveaway.

• Options

It was different worldwide, but I think the other way you're thinking of was the Nintendo Power subscription way. I also always got it mixed up with the Master Quest giveaway.

Pretty sure that's how I ended up with it, yeah.

Also the version of Majora's I got all the masks on.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    As pointed out its literally the Disney vault. It's not really about selling a few million mario all-stars now, its about being able to do that every 5 years. So they are only going to deploy limited release with properties that seem worth re-releasing in perpetuity.

• Options
    As pointed out its literally the Disney vault. It's not really about selling a few million mario all-stars now, its about being able to do that every 5 years. So they are only going to deploy limited release with properties that seem worth re-releasing in perpetuity.

It's really not. The Disney vault I remember applied to every single animated movie.

Why wouldn't they do this for games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? What's the practical difference in selling 5 million, pausing, and selling more of it later, vs. the way they're selling it now?

Do you consider Xenoblade vaulted in this way, then trotted out again on 3DS and Switch? What's the practical difference between a normal rerelease like Xenoblade, vs. announcing the date they're going to stop selling it?

What evidence is there that this is going to start applying to more mainline releases in the future, rather than simply being Nintendo's weird way of celebrating Mario's 35th?

• Options

It's really not. The Disney vault I remember applied to every single animated movie.

Why wouldn't they do this for games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? What's the practical difference in selling 5 million, pausing, and selling more of it later, vs. the way they're selling it now?

Do you consider Xenoblade vaulted in this way, then trotted out again on 3DS and Switch? What's the practical difference between a normal rerelease like Xenoblade, vs. announcing the date they're going to stop selling it?

What evidence is there that this is going to start applying to more mainline releases in the future, rather than simply being Nintendo's weird way of celebrating Mario's 35th?

Nintendo game sales tend to have very long and steady tails. There's not really a reason for them to do that, the console generation changes and then eventual ports do it enough anyways.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Only the mega popular ones, but to be fair that did include some recent hits.

What I'm trying to say is that Shadow Dragon indicates this is more than just Mario's 35th. I expect more artificial limits on retro re-releases going forward. Even NSO is limited time in its own way.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    All the Hyrule Warriors demo did for me was make me want to play through Breath of the Wild again. Kind of surprised too, I thought I was going to like it, I really liked the Dragon Quest Heroes series but maybe that has enough changes from the Warriors format to click better with me or something. HW just felt dull and pointless.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm in a weird position with Zelda warriors -- I like the first one fine for a while, but got tired of it when you started playing as the villains.

Which makes me wonder if the new one has enough variety (Koroks, cooking, big stompy mech battles, etc.) to make it more interesting for me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    It's me, the crazy person who bought hyrule warriors 3 times.

Give me a Mario Warriors game Nintendo.

• Options
    All the Hyrule Warriors demo did for me was make me want to play through Breath of the Wild again. Kind of surprised too, I thought I was going to like it, I really liked the Dragon Quest Heroes series but maybe that has enough changes from the Warriors format to click better with me or something. HW just felt dull and pointless.

That's interesting. DQ Warriors was one of the few Warriors games that I didn't enjoy. I think I finished it but there was something about it that didn't stick with me. I think it's the way the levels were designed.

I think my Zelda fanboyism really pulls me into HW. Playing as the king, Fi, Zelda, etc with some great music remixes.... Ahh. I haven't tried the demo yet and probably won't... Age of Calamity comes out at the end of November right? Can't wait!

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    if you're underleveled, you can't really make up the difference by playing better-- or if you do, the fight just takes three times as long to win.
    Fire Emblem Warriors lets you make up the level difference by stronger weapons, slayers, Armor Break, and especially Lethality. It's going to be a bit slower, but that is going to depend on your character's luck and whether Lethality procs (LCK/2 is its activation rate). The biggest drawback to trying to do this is that the AI controlled battles aren't going to go very well so you need to control those characters more frequently.

Alternatively, if your characters are already OP there is the Infernal Blessing to max the level of all enemies so you can turn just about any map into a challenge.

As for Age of Calamity, I'm going to withhold my judgement on difficulty until I see what it's Adventure Mode analogue is going to be. I don't expect the first two maps of the story to be challenging (they are still introducing runes there) and on Very Hard enemies can deal a lot of damage and survive a weak point strike if you're quick to break it.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

After two days of trying, maybe ~20 or 30 attempts, I beat Hades on 32 heat yesterday. I gotta say, it was pretty painful and not really fun, unlike the entirety of the rest of my time with the game. I switched between the twin fists with maim and the bow with the lock on special. In the end I got over the line with the fists. The most annoying part was, I knew how I could do it, I just needed specific boons and they just wouldn't turn up. And I'd say 90% of those runs was me getting to the end and just running out of time or getting rolled by the last boss because I couldn't get the build I wanted. But in any case, it's done now. And I still like the game enough to just do runs on 0 heat, it's still fun. I think I'm very nearly ready to never play it again though after around 200 hours. But it has been almost completely excellent, especially for the length of time that the story lasts which is honesty surprisingly much longer than you would expect, at least it was longer than I expected. Yeah, great game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I picked up Worms WMD on the Switch the other day when it was on sale for a fiver. I am happy with this decision. The Switch is a great platform for it, the only caveat being that some of its UI elements are very small and a bit hard to pick out on the Switch's own screen. But a 2D Worms game is pretty much always a delight.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I picked up Worms WMD on the Switch the other day when it was on sale for a fiver. I am happy with this decision. The Switch is a great platform for it, the only caveat being that some of its UI elements are very small and a bit hard to pick out on the Switch's own screen. But a 2D Worms game is pretty much always a delight.

Don't forget the zoom with home button option in settings, might just address the small UI elements bit.

camo_sig2.png