As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I'm shocked something $200 less than its competitors and loaded with games even non gaming relatives recognize sold better during the holidays.

There's also the fact that Microsoft and Sony seemed to make approximately 6 and a half of their new consoles.

They probably made the most they've made of a launch console yet, it's just the audience is larger than ever and scalpers are better at being shitheads than ever.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    In a sales contest between consoles though, scalpers count as a sale.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    30 minutes of English Persona 5 Strikers Switch footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utYnCer2uTU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    NSMB2 is the worst of the bunch.

You think so? That's my second favorite of the series actually. I actually kind of loved the coin gimmick. The first one I think is the weakest and most boring. Wii is super fun, but really just opened the way for the superior 2 and U to me.

It felt really uninspired and for bringing back the super leaf it barely used it at all.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Is that basically a one-button masher, like a Dynasty Warriors kind of thing, but in smaller rooms? The actual gameplay looks a bit naff.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Is that basically a one-button masher, like a Dynasty Warriors kind of thing, but in smaller rooms? The actual gameplay looks a bit naff.

Yes, it's in that vein of game I think

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    ak86dah4dwg5.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    dynasty warriors has 2 buttons, thanks

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Three.

Four if you’re playing as Young Link in Hyrule Warriors.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Three.

Four if you’re playing as Young Link in Hyrule Warriors.

50 if you're playing Zelda in Age of Calamity.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Strikers is NOT the typical "warriors" game. Yes there are battles where you thwack a ton of mobs with a few button mashes, but you are not thrown onto an open battlefield for an hour running around following different troop movements. Its more structured like an ARPG with story segments, dungeon delves, even platforming sections. If you dislike warrior games you may still want to give this one a look because there's more gameplay variety here than in those.

• Options

The sales on both consoles are supposedly extremely good, but comparing a new console with a constrained supply line vs one in the prime of its life is a bit iffy. If neither console ever overtakes the Switch, that will certainly say some things.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Strikers is NOT the typical "warriors" game. Yes there are battles where you thwack a ton of mobs with a few button mashes, but you are not thrown onto an open battlefield for an hour running around following different troop movements. Its more structured like an ARPG with story segments, dungeon delves, even platforming sections. If you dislike warrior games you may still want to give this one a look because there's more gameplay variety here than in those.

I didn't watch the video, but Strikers made me think it was a Persona football/soccer game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    For anyone who didn't know, Scott Pilgrim is out.

Not sure how much of it I'll actually play, but I had to buy it out of principle. I'm still sore to this day that that movie/franchise didn't do better than it did in its day. I broke out my comics and am re-reading them as we speak.

Also for anyone that didn't know - to unlock Knives you gotta log into the Ubisoft... thing... on the main menu, and then exit out of that and she should be available!

Just Knives?

What sense does that even make?

I'm also now worried about whether the physical versions will truly be "complete" or not.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Anybody playing Calico on Switch? How is it post-patch?

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

Not sure how much of it I'll actually play, but I had to buy it out of principle. I'm still sore to this day that that movie/franchise didn't do better than it did in its day. I broke out my comics and am re-reading them as we speak.

Also for anyone that didn't know - to unlock Knives you gotta log into the Ubisoft... thing... on the main menu, and then exit out of that and she should be available!

Thanks! Now I know to save my money and not buy it!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options

Thanks! Now I know to save my money and not buy it!

Considering she was paid DLC in the original game, this is a weird take kind of!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Yeah I hate Ubisoft's Uplay and constant desire to rope me into whatever ecosystem they've got going, but I already have an account and would just log in once and log out for the sake of unlocking a character for free.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I didn't watch the video, but Strikers made me think it was a Persona football/soccer game.

Kind of why I prefer the Japanese name, Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Kind of why I prefer the Japanese name, Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers

That just sounds like an american football game!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

The sales on both consoles are supposedly extremely good, but comparing a new console with a constrained supply line vs one in the prime of its life is a bit iffy. If neither console ever overtakes the Switch, that will certainly say some things.

The Switch seemingly had supply issues too. It’s been hard to find on shelves for over half a year.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Don’t know of this is the place for it, but...I glanced at the Amazon page for No More Heroes 3 and it specifically is calling it the Standard Edition, which kind of insinuates a special version around launch time as well. Just about the only thing holding off on me pulling the trigger on preorder, as loathe as I am to admit considering a preorder on anything.

I wonder if NMH3 might get its own Switch bundle (weirder things have happened, surely, and it would kind of make some sense to go that way, with a Purple Touchdown edition of the Switch or something), or merely be NMH with a gold beam katana.

On the other hand, with Bethesda’s eshop-only edition of Doom Eternal, maybe NMH3 won’t have a physical? I interpreted Bethesda’s choice as a means of reducing the production costs of the port, and possibly given the pandemic making it easier for Switch owners to get a copy, while also requiring that anyone who’d purchase Doom Eternal on the Switch would need a Nintendo account with purchasing means added in, all but eliminating any kids from being able to get it without parental approval built into the purchase no matter what.

I’m not sure how many mature games are hitting the Switch these days. I know Control is on the Switch but not as a cartridge.. Any thoughts on correlation between an MA rating and not getting a physical release?

• Options
    I think that's just a coincidence more than anything. Doom Eternal was a giant game so I think they wanted to reduce manufacturing costs. And Control is the streaming game (like Stadia) so it can't be physical.

• Options
    Looks like Capcom's going to have a Resident Evil showcase on the 21st. Hoping for something Switch related to be announced. Especially since the Capcom leak did mention something.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Looks like Capcom's going to have a Resident Evil showcase on the 21st. Hoping for something Switch related to be announced. Especially since the Capcom leak did mention something.

MH:R runs on the RE engine so we know it's been ported. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Cross posting this here since I am currently shouting about this game from the rooftops:
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So I've only played about twenty minutes of the Switch demo for this but holy moly.

https://youtu.be/cJMPg7wpOBg

It's basically Dead Cells but it plays like butter. There are tons of little touches that make it feel just superb.

It's really worth checking out if you're into this sort of game.
    Some more thoughts on this after another hour:

The upgrades you get during runs seem very incremental. It looks like there might be some variety in the gun aspect of it, which I pretty much never use so I can't really comment. But there doesn't seem to be the sort of "build" variety that Dead Cells has.

It seems like a pretty small game, looks like 5 or 6 "levels" based on some of the menus. I have made it a few rooms into the second level so far.

It is very, very pretty. The color theming of the backgrounds vs types of enemies is very strong, everything reads very clearly. It even seems like more dangerous enemies tend to be higher contrast than less dangerous ones.

I cannot emphasize enough how good it feels to just move around and never touch the ground. I am dubbing this Dead Celeste.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

The Switch seemingly had supply issues too. It’s been hard to find on shelves for over half a year.

According to NPD Mat, Switch only really had a few supply bumps during COVID, and the company really cranked them out this year.

It's just that demand has managed to be higher than even that.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    You know, come to think of it whenever I am in a target or wal mart these days in the game section, I'm only seeing switch lites. Are those the more popular option now?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    You know, come to think of it whenever I am in a target or wal mart these days in the game section, I'm only seeing switch lites. Are those the more popular option now?

My guess would be the opposite, they're easier to keep stocked because they're way less popular.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'd still like one, but Nintendo hasn't seemed to introduce a very good option for a single account to be on two systems if at all.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    They did finally get around to seamless save synchronization via NSO cloud. It's just the requirement that one system have internet to play digital games that can still be a pain.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    The switch lite having non removable joycon when drift is still an issue isn't a strong selling point.

• Options
    It's also missing the best feature that the Switch provides and how it got its namesake.

But I won't lie and say I hadn't thought about picking one up for my son. They look a little more sturdy than my release Switch. My wife has the teal one and it works great still.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I've had a Lite for almost a year now. I've used it at least 5 days a week the entire time, zero con issues and I really like it overall. It is indeed sturdy yet light, it's funny when I pick up a regular Switch because using the Lite so long makes the regular feel like it weighs a ton. And yet despite that I'm leaning towards 'switching' back to a regular one; my vision is deteriorating and I'm having a great deal of trouble seeing the screen when playing in bed without my glasses on. Considering I like to play a lot of puzzle games, such as picross where being able to see little tiny numbers is kind of a big deal, it's rather frustrating. The zoom feature helps at least, but the larger screen on the OG would make a more efficient difference. But then I waffle back in that it's just inevitable at this point that I'd have the same issue later on. Ugh getting old sucks.

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    Amazon has multiple first party Switch games on sale.
    Luigi’s Mansion 3 – $44.99 (was $59.99)
    New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – $44.99 (was $59.99)
    Super Mario Maker 2 – $39.99 (was $59.99)
    Super Mario Odyssey – $39.99 (was $59.99)
    Super Mario Party – $39.99 (was $59.99)
    Zelda: Breath of the Wild – $39.99 (was $59.99)
    Zelda: Link’s Awakening – $44.99 (was $59.99)

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Questions:

1) Can anyone access/buy anything on your eShop wish list? If not, why does it exist?

2) I saw Ghostbusters was on sale. I’ve heard good things, but would love some first-hand PA opinions. Should I get it?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I've just been using the wish list to record titles I might go back to and buy someday, maybe when they're on sale, without having to look for them again. You sometimes will get an email telling you when a title on the list goes on sale, or if the title is upcoming, when it's released.

• Options
    The Ghostbusters game is Ghostbusters 3, basically.

It's well worth it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Still waiting on hearing about all those widespread Switch Lite drifting issues.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The Ghostbusters game is Ghostbusters 3, basically.

It's well worth it.

Be aware that the gameplay was just pretty decent when it first came out, and it's aged since then. But you'll get plenty of great dialog and other ghostbusters goodness to help you power through it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293