As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The Ghostbusters game is Ghostbusters 3, basically.

It's well worth it.

Be aware that the gameplay was just pretty decent when it first came out, and it's aged since then. But you'll get plenty of great dialog and other ghostbusters goodness to help you power through it.

Yeah I probably should have expanded. The story/dialog/license carries a lot of the weight for a slightly above-average 3rd person shooter. It's still fun and still worth your time. I paid full price for it on release and I don't regret it, though I would suggest only getting it on sale.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is coming to Nintendo Switch on March 16th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRXASceTh24

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So I just bought Ghostbusters for $5 after my gold coins. I’d like to hope that the gameplay isn’t that old or outdated.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is coming to Nintendo Switch on March 16th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRXASceTh24

Kingdoms of Amalur does have a very interesting premise that it doesn't do enough with.

It's fun, but... I think the original was enough for me.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I've just been using the wish list to record titles I might go back to and buy someday, maybe when they're on sale, without having to look for them again. You sometimes will get an email telling you when a title on the list goes on sale, or if the title is upcoming, when it's released.

Sure, but I've found Deku Deals more useful than the eShop wishlist for that as it also tracks discounts for non-eShop sources for both digital and physical releases.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

This whole game looks like a fever dream, I may have to give it a spin.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

This whole game looks like a fever dream, I may have to give it a spin.

Cautiously optimistic about this game. The demo will make or break it for me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I feel intensely confident that Balan Wonderworld is going to review badly with both critics and audiences. Yuji Naka seems to direct / produce a lot of games like Rodea the Sky Soldier lately that have that old-school NiGHTs charm and are imaginative and inventive but just... don't actually feel great to play. Not bad, but they struggle to get above a 6. That's not to say I don't plan to get the game (it looks right up my alley), but the character movement in the announcement trailer didn't inspire confidence.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Is it possible to be cautiously pessimistic? That is how I feel about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I never got what's so great about Nights, to be honest. you just fly around and do some loop

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I never got what's so great about Nights, to be honest. you just fly around and do some loop

I never played Nights, but I assume "loop" in this sentence refers to a very powerful, habit-forming drug.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    IYQWeli.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    The video we've seen looks like a 3D platformer with some very generic kid protagonists that wear ugly animal suits to gain different powers. So not much like nights.

Gameplay might be fine but I can't get over them wasting such excellent mascot design. I'd much rather be exploring Mr. Tophat's wacky powers.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Still waiting on hearing about all those widespread Switch Lite drifting issues.

Yeah I was considering surprising the missus with one for Christmas but the drift issue was one reason I didn’t.

But every time I looked specifically for Lites with drift issues I just got a few people on reddit. Considering the amount of Lites in the wild due to people being bored during lockdown I wasn’t seeing the quantity of complaints I was expecting.

Anecdotally, my brother has had a Lite since near release and hasn’t had any problems.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The video we've seen looks like a 3D platformer with some very generic kid protagonists that wear ugly animal suits to gain different powers. So not much like nights.

Gameplay might be fine but I can't get over them wasting such excellent mascot design. I'd much rather be exploring Mr. Tophat's wacky powers.

My comment was more about the visual style than the gameplay. The whole NiGHTs -> Billy Hatcher -> Rodea -> Balan throughline is pretty visually clearly the product of the same creative mind(s). Obviously the gameplay is clearly different, I'm just talking about the way the visual style hits the eye.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Carto

tpep5ccgr7nr.jpeg

Small, but perfectly formed. The gimmick is that manipulating the map changes the real world in this gorgeous little puzzle adventure. Never really that taxing but a joy to play through nonetheless. Well recommend for a cosy and cute few evenings of play.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I'm slow to work my way through Age of Calamity since it's my exercise bike game right now, so I'm only playing it 45-60 minutes a day, and only on days I don't go out jogging or for long walks, but I really seriously cannot get over how godawful the writing is.

"Check it out! We raised the giant tower?"
    Uh, you mean the hub that we've returned to after literally every mission since the start of the game.
    "Yeah! Now it exists! It didn't 10 hours before."

Uhhhhhhhhh, okay.

"You must not shirk your duties, Zelda."
    "But Father, I want to try my best."
    "No, Zelda, you must try harder."
    "But I want to try my best and try harder."
    "Very well, but you must try harder."

Thanks! Fucking awesome scene, guys!

"We lost another battle!"
    "All is according to plan."
    "Our plan was to let them use weapons of mass destruction to obliterate us and fail at every turn?"
    --fade out menacingly--

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

"Check this out! I invented teleportation! Now we can teleport places!"
    Uh, you mean the transition animation to loading screens that's been there since literally the start of the game?
    "Yes, but now it exists!"
    And it does nothing new?
    "That's right!"

Every time I run out of challenges and have to do a story quest, it's like stepping into the maw of madness.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, much as I enjoyed stepping into that world again, holy crap the plot added absolutely nothing the first game didn't already do better. I mean, seeing (semi-late game spoilers)
    past and present champions interacting was fun,

but that's about it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ah. I see your problem there... You were hoping for a story in a Warriors game. :P

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ah. I see your problem there... You were hoping for a story in a Warriors game. :P

Nah. I'm here for the Warriors side, not the BotW side. Fuck open world games in general. Warriors games are usually full of silly soap opera melodrama, overuse of the word "benevolence," and over the top cutscenes. This has none of any of that, and yet, the cutscenes feel like they're twice as long because there is literally no fucking story to speak of and absolutely nothing actually going on. We're not putting down the Yellow Scarves, or hunting Nobunaga through Honnouji. There's just no plot driving any stage or the overall stuff whatsoever, and yet every story stage has to be prefaced by 2-3 cutscenes, another in the middle, and 2-3 to end it.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Nah. I'm here for the Warriors side, not the BotW side. Fuck open world games in general. Warriors games are usually full of silly soap opera melodrama, overuse of the word "benevolence," and over the top cutscenes. This has none of any of that, and yet, the cutscenes feel like they're twice as long because there is literally no fucking story to speak of and absolutely nothing actually going on. We're not putting down the Yellow Scarves, or hunting Nobunaga through Honnouji. There's just no plot driving any stage or the overall stuff whatsoever, and yet every story stage has to be prefaced by 2-3 cutscenes, another in the middle, and 2-3 to end it.

Gotcha. You can skip the story elements. That's what I did and got straight to the sweet, sweet gameplay. :)

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Making the selling point of the game a specific world setting, plot setting, and going so far as to call it a prequel to a beloved game that a lot of people care A LOT about... and then doing this "oh, you weren't meant to be interested in the plot!" thing is bait and switch marketing. It's incredibly shitty and no one should be carrying water for them on it. Much more fair to attempt it on Hyrule Warriors, which was marketed as an all stars Zelda team up adventure, a concept almost never beloved for the detailed plot.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Panzer Dragoon Remake is on sale for $6.24; anybody here play it? Is it worth it at that price?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Making the selling point of the game a specific world setting, plot setting, and going so far as to call it a prequel to a beloved game that a lot of people care A LOT about... and then doing this "oh, you weren't meant to be interested in the plot!" thing is bait and switch marketing. It's incredibly shitty and no one should be carrying water for them on it. Much more fair to attempt it on Hyrule Warriors, which was marketed as an all stars Zelda team up adventure, a concept almost never beloved for the detailed plot.

It was also a joke but do go on lol.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Panzer Dragoon Remake is on sale for $6.24; anybody here play it? Is it worth it at that price?

Well, it's Panzer Dragoon. How does $6 on a short arcade ride sound to you?

Note this version is a lot easier than the original. They gave you a large health bar and easily earned continues to compensate for terrible framerate and laggy perspective-switching, and then fixed both of those issues without upping the difficulty. Gets even easier if you get used to modern controls or turn on the blurry 60 FPS performance mode. So expect a smooth fun ride for a few hours and not much beyond that.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

I always felt like the first Panzer Dragoon was spectacular when and where it released initially (90s on the Saturn). Through the lens of today it's pretty meh.

It's still an experience worth having if the opportunity arises so if you've never played it before or have no way of playing the original it might be worth $6.24? Are you okay with that price for a game you can complete in one sitting with probably very little effort?

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I've been playing Phoenotopia, an indie metroidvania kind of thing, and really enjoying it. Surprisingly difficult though, combat is kind of a pain because you have a very short range melee attack coupled to a stamina system. There are options to ameliorate it though, you can turn off stamina drain for quick attacks. It feels a little too old school for its own good at times though; the two big examples for me are 1. No map and 2. No log of events/quests/etc etc. Neither are a deal breaker but they're greatly missed!

• Options
    I've been playing Phoenotopia, an indie metroidvania kind of thing, and really enjoying it. Surprisingly difficult though, combat is kind of a pain because you have a very short range melee attack coupled to a stamina system. There are options to ameliorate it though, you can turn off stamina drain for quick attacks. It feels a little too old school for its own good at times though; the two big examples for me are 1. No map and 2. No log of events/quests/etc etc. Neither are a deal breaker but they're greatly missed!

Holy crap this looks great. I'll be adding it to my wishlist, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think the trick with the Panzer Dragoon games is how much you dig the soundtrack.

Check out some of the music, if you can see yourself chilling to that vibe for a while, I think it’s well worth it if the port is decent.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I tried Phoenotopia but it's way too hard, and in the way that it feels like the game's fault and not my fault and just need to practice more.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I tried Phoenotopia but it's way too hard, and in the way that it feels like the game's fault and not my fault and just need to practice more.

Oh no. I don't like the sound of this.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I think the trick with the Panzer Dragoon games is how much you dig the soundtrack.

Check out some of the music, if you can see yourself chilling to that vibe for a while, I think it’s well worth it if the port is decent.
    It's easily the best-playing (and best-looking) version of the game. I'm really looking forward to the same treatment being finished for Panzer Dragoon 2, supposedly sometime this year.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yeah I have to agree. While there's a certain amount of 'learn what the enemy is able to do' etc, it's really unforgiving of mistakes and it demands a lot from you even with the accessibility options on. I think the problem is it ramps up too quick, the first dungeon area and particularly its' boss are really tough for such an early experience.

• Options
    edited January 2021

This is a really good take, actually. It a very good game to chill out and look at pretty scenery while pewpewing weird-looking enemies and listening to great music.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

I always felt like the first Panzer Dragoon was spectacular when and where it released initially (90s on the Saturn). Through the lens of today it's pretty meh.

It's still an experience worth having if the opportunity arises so if you've never played it before or have no way of playing the original it might be worth $6.24? Are you okay with that price for a game you can complete in one sitting with probably very little effort?

At $6.24, yes. It is the original game remade and nothing else. You can beat it in 20 minutes, especially using a mouse. The graphical updates are charming enough for the player to feel its Naussica: Valley of the Wind roots. The line between "animal" and "machine" is always a blur.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Don't forget, Hitman 3 is coming to Switch with a cloud version.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    In my journey to slowly take out my backlog, I beat The Way Remastered today.

Pretty fun retro puzzle adventure. Felt like some of the old Sierra games back in the day. Pretty fun, interesting story, but I have no desire to play through it again for the other ending. One and done.

I also started Atalier Ryza and oh my goodness, the game is just joyful. Not at all what I was expecting. It's the most pleasent RPG I've played in a while.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Pretty fun retro puzzle adventure. Felt like some of the old Sierra games back in the day. Pretty fun, interesting story, but I have no desire to play through it again for the other ending. One and done.

I also started Atalier Ryza and oh my goodness, the game is just joyful. Not at all what I was expecting. It's the most pleasent RPG I've played in a while.

All of the Atelier games are great.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    For what it is worth, no drift issues with my Switch Lite. I will add the caveat that Pokemon: Sword, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Animal Crossing, and Into the Breach do not exactly stress analog sticks with their play mechanics.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    LD50 wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

All of the Atelier games are great.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I say that with Mana Khemia being my single favorite RPG engine ever made and it is goddamn elegant in its execution.

That is very much entirely by accident though, as the sequel fucked up a lot of that even with a ton of huge QoL improvements.

But anyway, the Atelier games are very hit or miss, and the most recent Mysterious trilogy was waaaaaay the fuck more miss than hit, and Lulua is... Christ, where to even start? Lulua was a game almost entirely of recycled assets where the camera would regularly clip into the ground or monsters for regular attack animations, or worse, literally strobed the screen. This is on top of the writing being worse than its ever been at even the crappiest of Dusk's misogynistic bullshit gish gallop nonsense.

Anyway, Iris, great. Khemia amazing. Arland DXes good, awful, decent in that order. Dusk, great combat, horrendous writing, hugely fucked up alchemy for good and ill. Mysterious: Avoid unless you're a superfan. Nelke: Hahahahaha fuck no, never touch, will give you the plague.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif