As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    How did Obama tear down that voter set up thing you guys keep talking about?

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    My most sincere hope is that if Biden wins, it will act as its own bit of accelerationism, as people realize that oh yeah, none of these ghouls actually give a shit about us

And while that's happening we're also like, cutting out the legs from under American fascism, but y'know, that's implied

i think it's a lot more likely if biden wins that a lot of liberals (especially ones who have clout and a platform to tell everyone their opinions) will bury their heads in the sand and pretend a lot of problems just went away now that their guy is back in. there's a huge amount of mistaking effect for cause going on right now where a whole lot of people genuinely believe that trump is the cause of all the shit we have going on and once he's out we'll be okay again. this is useful as far as it goes, having a lot of people angry about stuff is valuable in its own right even if they're not really angry for the right reasons, but if it all evaporates in the event biden gets in then that's really bad

plus i don't think there's any reason to believe that all the criticizing-biden-is-helping-the-GOP shit we're seeing now will go away if he takes office, especially if the democrats take the white house but not the senate

I think a lot of people have been radicalized in the last 4 years in a way that wont just go away. Partially because the shift started with the disappointment in Obama throwing the progressives under the bus combined with Biden being no Obama.

Yeah, I don't think this kind of anger goes away, and I definitely don't think Biden is nearly as skilled an orator or diplomat as Obama, so I think (even with inevitable media takes of "isn't it great that things are normal again?") the stuff that people are pissed about is going to keep making people take direct action until those things stop pissing them off

This isn't a bunch of people doing a big march on Washington to say "Trump bad," this is people with real substantive issues that go beyond the responsibility of one particular asshole that we all hate, and are in fact the product of a system perpetuated by a bunch of particular assholes that we all should hate

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

a quick google and topline scan makes me think this will answer your question:
    https://newrepublic.com/article/140245/obamas-lost-army-inside-fall-grassroots-machine

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    One of the selling points of Biden that they have actually pushed in speeches, that Obama pushed in his speech, was that you won't have to constantly think about politics anymore and can backburner it

While some segments of the population are more energized than ever, others have a hole in the sand at the ready to stuff their heads down

It remains to be seen which is going to be more powerful, honestly; at least Biden can be pressed into a reaction and MAYBE shifting policy but genuinely no idea how this goes in terms of trying for any major policy shift through protest etc

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    My most sincere hope is that if Biden wins, it will act as its own bit of accelerationism, as people realize that oh yeah, none of these ghouls actually give a shit about us

And while that's happening we're also like, cutting out the legs from under American fascism, but y'know, that's implied

i think it's a lot more likely if biden wins that a lot of liberals (especially ones who have clout and a platform to tell everyone their opinions) will bury their heads in the sand and pretend a lot of problems just went away now that their guy is back in. there's a huge amount of mistaking effect for cause going on right now where a whole lot of people genuinely believe that trump is the cause of all the shit we have going on and once he's out we'll be okay again. this is useful as far as it goes, having a lot of people angry about stuff is valuable in its own right even if they're not really angry for the right reasons, but if it all evaporates in the event biden gets in then that's really bad

plus i don't think there's any reason to believe that all the criticizing-biden-is-helping-the-GOP shit we're seeing now will go away if he takes office, especially if the democrats take the white house but not the senate

I think a lot of people have been radicalized in the last 4 years in a way that wont just go away. Partially because the shift started with the disappointment in Obama throwing the progressives under the bus combined with Biden being no Obama.

Yeah, I don't think this kind of anger goes away, and I definitely don't think Biden is nearly as skilled an orator or diplomat as Obama, so I think (even with inevitable media takes of "isn't it great that things are normal again?") the stuff that people are pissed about is going to keep making people take direct action until those things stop pissing them off

This isn't a bunch of people doing a big march on Washington to say "Trump bad," this is people with real substantive issues that go beyond the responsibility of one particular asshole that we all hate, and are in fact the product of a system perpetuated by a bunch of particular assholes that we all should hate

Like I said before, lotta lefties only get out when there's a really big white guy to protest against. But it has to be a sexy narrative. Hence why monkey Bush, Darth Cheney, and tiny hands got protests while the Kentucky turtle and south Carolina poodle have floated by for years.

Since tiny hands said the gop looses when people vote, i wanna check the turnout in the poodle and turtle's states

• Options
    edited October 2020

a quick google and topline scan makes me think this will answer your question:
    https://newrepublic.com/article/140245/obamas-lost-army-inside-fall-grassroots-machine

Got a name? that website doesn't play nice on my phone.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular

Every motherfucker who was beating the "RUSSIA IS MAKING THE BLACK PEOPLE UPPITY" drum during the election will beat it harder, and they need to be beaten if anything good is to happen.

We are going to see what percentage of the populace are actually experiencing reality, and who lives in the Respectable Opinions Extended Universe, and that will be our second crazification factor.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

i wanna be clear i'm not saying things are gonna go Back To Normal if biden wins, just that a lot of liberal support for various causes is contingent on a republican being in charge, and a lot of (mostly white, well-off) people are gonna suddenly not care all that much about the ICE concentration camps or police murders if it's a democrat rubber-stamping that shit

the people who've for-real radicalized over the past couple years aren't gonna calm down now, but i think there's still a lot more people into fashionable #resistance than sincere radicals

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular

Like I said before, lotta lefties only get out when there's a really big white guy to protest against. But it has to be a sexy narrative. Hence why monkey Bush, Darth Cheney, and tiny hands got protests while the Kentucky turtle and south Carolina poodle have floated by for years.

Since tiny hands said the gop looses when people vote, i wanna check the turnout in the poodle and turtle's states

I've followed the Kentucky race, partly because I have some friends there, and this isn't fair. There was a huge grassroots movement in Kentucky.

Then the DNC said fuck that and picked their own shitty candidate.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options

i wanna be clear i'm not saying things are gonna go Back To Normal if biden wins, just that a lot of liberal support for various causes is contingent on a republican being in charge, and a lot of (mostly white, well-off) people are gonna suddenly not care all that much about the ICE concentration camps or police murders if it's a democrat rubber-stamping that shit

the people who've for-real radicalized over the past couple years aren't gonna calm down now, but i think there's still a lot more people into fashionable #resistance than sincere radicals

I'm sort of in agreement with you, but the thing about the pandemic is that it's also accelerating the erosion of the middle class, and reducing the size of that class of white well-off liberals

They're always gonna be around in some capacity, but I don't know how much enthusiasm or impact they'll have when they purse their lips and tut about the proper way to protest

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

This is why we need ordinary people to become politicians and not people born from wealth

They just don't

fucking

know

• Options
    facetious wrote: »

I've followed the Kentucky race, partly because I have some friends there, and this isn't fair. There was a huge grassroots movement in Kentucky.

Excellent. Now we have a baseline to compare the last time the turtle had to run for office.

• Options
    facetious wrote: »

Excellent. Now we have a baseline to compare the last time the turtle had to run for office.

Much like Feinstein this is McConnell's last term, and he may even be on his way out but trying to pull through the election to be able to appoint his replacement.

I like to ART
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i'm fairly pessimistic

biden winning, particularly if he wins substantially, is going to inoculate his administration from any possibility whatsoever of self-reflection or willingness to change course

i don't think anything happens without the left seizing the reins themselves, and that doesn't seem likely any time soon

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've been saying for awhile now that Biden winning and then doing nothing or worse means we get a fascist in four years who isn't as vulgar and stupid as Trump, and then we're really in trouble.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

The economy is not going to rebound, and there will be pressure on the government to do much more than mainstream Dems will be comfortable with.

Covid-19 is going to fuck up the healthcare system - through employee attrition due to burnout, loss of elective surgery profits, and because a ton of people getting care aren’t going to be able to afford to pay for it.

The riots over police shootings will continue. If the Dems go strong law and order, it will be nationwide with no cover of blaming Trump.

The Supreme Court is already showing signs that it will be as non-partisan as a Fox News morning show, and Dems will feel a lot of pressure to actually respond whether they want to or not.

If the Guardian's story about Arctic methane deposits releasing is correct, climate change is about to get very real for a lot more people in the next four years.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/oct/27/sleeping-giant-arctic-methane-deposits-starting-to-release-scientists-find

The status quo is breaking apart no matter what the people in power want. A lot of today’s liberals are going to radicalize - in both directions - as a result.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    You can’t criticize Biden days before a presidential election!

**Several days later**

You can’t criticize Biden two years before a midterm election!

“We have to consolidate the Biden coalition of conservatives, moderates and then everyone else that felt like they had a gun to their heads.”

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm very excited for the upcoming pivot to "we have to give him time! Don't let the left tear itself apart! Perfect is the enemy of etc etc etc"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I've been saying for awhile now that Biden winning and then doing nothing or worse means we get a fascist in four years who isn't as vulgar and stupid as Trump, and then we're really in trouble.

You know...maybe. And the rest of this post is going to sound like I'm about to discount that possibility, but...I think the cult of personality around Trump is unique, and the Republican party isn't likely to find someone to fill that void any time soon. I know we're worried about Tom Cotton, or whoever, but I think the vulgarity and stupidity is like...70% of the appeal of Trump, to a lot of people? It's the double edged sword of the tea party, in a lot of ways, in that they've got this incredibly energized core of people, but they hate the leadership of the Republican party as much as they hate the leadership of the Democratic party, and I don't know if Tom Cotton's got it in him to truly rile those people up to support him, you know?

(the secret is that they don't really need a smart fascist to get their agenda accomplished, they've set up the pieces incredibly well to mold the country into what they want without necessarily having to have the president be an openly raging shitpile, they can sneak someone respectable in there, get the lincoln project assholes back in line, and do whatever they want anyways, unless the Democratic party manages to grow a backbone or at least acknowledges they need to grow one)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I'm very excited for the upcoming pivot to "we have to give him time! Don't let the left tear itself apart! Perfect is the enemy of etc etc etc"

This seems generous

I'm expecting "he won the election without catering to you Bernie bros, clearly you're not a big enough demographic to bother catering to, if you want to get your way try winning a primary but until then go cry about it"

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I do tend to agree that no one can really replace Trump fully, because Trump has made himself so completely the center of his cult that if he were to, say, be taken out by COVID, no one could wrangle his followers or keep them unified

The problem is that will change a bit if he publicly endorses someone next time around, which as vain and proud as he is I do think he’d do for the promise of any kind of power

So the real worry is that we end up with someone more respectable, and less of a petty, dumpy, whiny pissbaby. That’s the worst case scenario

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

This seems generous

I'm expecting "he won the election without catering to you Bernie bros, clearly you're not a big enough demographic to bother catering to, if you want to get your way try winning a primary but until then go cry about it"

or "he picked a VP for you and adopted a bunch of your policies and you still didn't get as excited about him as we did, therefore he doesn't owe you anything"

Shorty on
  • Options
    one of his terrible children is the biggest threat. I mean, mostly Ivanka, his sons would have to coast by on the name more than anything, because they're as stupid as their dad, but like...Trump, if nothing else, has pretty good instincts for what his base wants to hear, I don't think his sons do, I think they're just dumb idiot shitheads

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If Ivanka runs it'll probably be as a Democrat.

... I just depressed myself.

• Options
    I dunno, she was like...an active member of this administration, and she's still married to Jared Kushner. I know the Democrats have been pretty shameless about who they let into the tent, but I think she'd have an incredibly rough road in any Democratic primary

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I dunno, she was like...an active member of this administration, and she's still married to Jared Kushner. I know the Democrats have been pretty shameless about who they let into the tent, but I think she'd have an incredibly rough road in any Democratic primary

I would agree, but I have so little faith in the Democratic Party as an institution that I think all she’d have to do is say a few “orange man bad” remarks and they’d let her run and make a big show about how reformed she was, get a few more of those coveted conservative votes or something

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

This seems generous

i think a lot about how as soon as the runner-up in primaries had meaningful policy differences from the victor the narrative around primaries suddenly became "Well you LOST, your stuff is UNTENABLE", rather than say, 2008 where it's "Incredible run. Wonderful second place. Hope there's a cabinet position available."

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So Cartoon Network put an anti-racism PSA out today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0KTFdnBk8

Figured at least somebody here might like to know about it.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the worst case scenario is that some republican governor or other sees the opportunity to be basically the american Victor Orban; someone willing to dismantle governmental systems for his own factions' benefit but with enough acumen to do it 1) relatively smoothly and 2) with a boring bureaucratic face, at least early on

trump's terrible but he's also a ridiculous fucking dunce and his inability to organize his own government has probably prevented a ton of domestic harm

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    A female blackula movie would be very cathartic for the rest of the year

• Options
    the worst case scenario is that some republican governor or other sees the opportunity to be basically the american Victor Orban; someone willing to dismantle governmental systems for his own factions' benefit but with enough acumen to do it 1) relatively smoothly and 2) with a boring bureaucratic face, at least early on

trump's terrible but he's also a ridiculous fucking dunce and his inability to organize his own government has probably prevented a ton of domestic harm

Aren't you describing Indiana?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    4kbamf.jpg

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fucking cops, always finding a new low

Fuck the blue line bootlicker fan club

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    wow, they exhibited more shame than they usually do by deleting a post that was shown to be a lie, the motherfuckers

how do you reform an organization that kidnaps a child from a vehicle after beating the shit out of and arresting his parents for (as far as i can tell) literally no reason

how is scorched earth not the only acceptable goal after seeing this shit play out weekly for longer than anyone currently drawing breath has been alive

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    4kbamf.jpg

this is weird because usually this meme is used to show when someone is wrong about something

or i could just be misunderstanding, it's definitely something i'm known for

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    4kbamf.jpg

this is weird because usually this meme is used to show when someone is wrong about something

The confused person in the picture is supposed to represent the cops' PR department.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    4kbamf.jpg

The meme in this case is showing whomever made the original tweet, 'oh yes, this is good cop propoganda to use"?' when in fact, it is not good, copaganda, it is a literal kidnapping.

This discussion has been closed.