As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Cops don't want to go after their off duty buddies.

Apparently there was also a PPB plane that was over the border and circling the vigil site last night, most likely assisting with comms and surveillance.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    wouldn't be surprised if that had an imsi catcher to register everyone's cell phone

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Fuck PPB. Nazis, the lot of them.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    wouldn't be surprised if that had an imsi catcher to register everyone's cell phone

this was happening in minneapolis over the summer and i'd be legit shocked if basically every other police department that has access to that shit isn't doing the same

keep your phones at home friends

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

this was happening in minneapolis over the summer and i'd be legit shocked if basically every other police department that has access to that shit isn't doing the same

keep your phones at home friends
    200% agreed

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    It's not even a matter of being pissed. It's just a natural reaction to recoil if someone starts jamming a hand in your hair, which would only be amplified if you're handcuffed

Tweet text: "Responding to Joey Gibson's call for a "show of force," Proud Boys, militia members, and Trump supporters attacked and harassed a vigil for Kevin Peterson Jr, a black man killed by Clark county sheriffs yesterday in Vancouver, located outside of Portland."

And a quote of a video of said shots with text "Live rounds shot, it happened in eyesight of the police but nothing was done. No one was hurt just shaken up"

No one hurt just a few babies maced no big deal

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    M'rap, Hanson's extremely unfortunate attempt to get into hip hop.

Hey, they use their pun powers for good! I won't stand for this Hanson slander.
    m7ou33pnf7ly.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    M'rap, Hanson's extremely unfortunate attempt to get into hip hop.

Hey, they use their pun powers for good! I won't stand for this Hanson slander.
    m7ou33pnf7ly.jpg

I wasn't into their music, but I'd definitely try that beer for the pun alone

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    this really isn't the thread for this tangent, but by most accounts hanson's music got way better after they stopped being big stars (and stopped being children, which likely also helped)

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    shout out to the boy in my sixth grade class who put in his yearbook that his favorite song was mmmbop by hanson, incredibly brave maneuver

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    this really isn't the thread for this tangent, but by most accounts hanson's music got way better after they stopped being big stars (and stopped being children, which likely also helped)

Yeah I've actually seen them live twice, my wife loves them. Not my style butThey're.. pretty good actually? Play instruments, write everything themselves. Props to em

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    shout out to the boy in my sixth grade class who put in his yearbook that his favorite song was mmmbop by hanson, incredibly brave maneuver

Everyone around him should have picked "there goes my hero" with an arrow pointing his way

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I would put a video here of the Mad Max tanker battle, but do not want to get jailed for nudity....again.

So...
    https://youtu.be/Kq41S810sYg

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Arrested, Tortured, Imprisoned: The U.S. Contractors Abandoned in Kuwait

the new york times, with a straight face, published an article about kuwaiti police imprisoning black americans on made-up drug charges whose tone is a hell of a lot like the shit they were publishing in the early 2000s to drum up support for invading iraq

somewhere a writer for the onion is drinking themself into a stupor

Typhoid Manny on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    there's no chance of us ever going to war with kuwait, because kuwait is a rich country whose rulers play ball with the penny ante hegemons who run this country

• Options
    i mostly am just staggered by the incredible gall they had to publish a righteously indignant article about another country doing some shit that they overtly don't care happens in this country literally every day

• Options
    hm yes I did not see that angle, you're right

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Yeah my immediate thought was "Imprisoning black americans on made up drug charges? That's our job!"

Maddoc on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I see the larger point, but I doubt the innocent imprisoned African Americans and their families would appreciate their stories being silenced out of some sense of geopolitical fairness.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Former Uber engineer giving up the game that the Uber BLM push was 100% pure, cynical marketing:

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Former Uber engineer giving up the game that the Uber BLM push was 100% pure, cynical marketing:

Isnt uber operating days away from collapse, constantly buying a few more weeks of life from their drivers?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I hope you’re all doing well, friends.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Corporate BLM is always marketing. They want to make money and they don't give a fuck about you and they are never, ever, ever our friends. And when the time comes, they get taken apart regardless of how much lip-service they paid.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2020

Isnt uber operating days away from collapse, constantly buying a few more weeks of life from their drivers?

i don't understand how corporations and not posting a profit works or whatever

but i think the general gist of it is that their goal isn't to currently make money but to fuck over taxis and stuff so that eventually it's just two corporations (uber and lyft) that you can choose from (because if you have two "choices" it isn't a monopoly??)

so right now they just borrow money from rich people that want to make monopoly money off them in the future, i think?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

i don't understand how corporations and not posting a profit works or whatever

but i think the general gist of it is that their goal isn't to currently make money but to fuck over taxis and stuff so that eventually it's just two corporations (uber and lyft) that you can choose from (because if you have two "choices" it isn't a monopoly??)

so right now they just borrow money from rich people that want to make monopoly money off them in the future, i think?

in simple terms, yep

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yes, much like Amazon not showing profits for going on two decades now

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

I mean, that's just got to be bullshit accounting maths, right? Because how the fuck does Bezos gain more than $100 billion JUST THIS YEAR if his company has been losing money for twenty years?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I mean, that's just got to be bullshit accounting maths, right? Because how the fuck does Bezos gain more than $100 billion JUST THIS YEAR if his company has been losing money for twenty years?

Well most of those articles saying he's gaining billions in X period are also bullshit accounting maths, mostly based on his stock shares. I mean he's rich as fuck in terms of actual cash as well I'm sure but most of those net worth estimates include the value of most of Amazon

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I mean the simple form of that equation (which isn't ultimately accurate here) is that if Amazon has a gross profit of $99 billion and they give Bezos a paycheck of $100 billion, then they're operating at a loss

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh yay, I get to post one of my favorite scenes from Silicon Valley again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo&t=4s

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Once you get to values of that level, it's not really cash. It's estimated values based on a lot of dodgy variable. And then all these wanker banker corporate types make bets on the estimated values of the stocks and such, and use that to leverage a capital advantage

Like Bezos isn't actually worth that much (like for an actually realistic value of the word "worth" but he can borrow vast amounts because he has assets which have a bullshitted out number next to them of a certain value, and that gives a capital advantage.

It's a bunch of total fucking arseholes making bets with each other and the sooner we chuck em all in a volcano the better

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

This guy fucks.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

Profits = Revenue - Cost

Amazon has always invested potential profits into expansion (increasing Cost). This both allows them to grow and avoid Profit which would be taxed

Bezos' wealth is primarily from his share of Amazon stock. This wealth can be quantified by # of shares times the Market Price of the shares (though this gets fuzzy if he were to actually try to liquidate it, since offloading that number of shares would dramatically affect the Market Price). Demand for Amazon shares continues to grow, therefore Market Price continues to grow, therefore Bezos' wealth continues to grow.

Now, one would think that expansion can't go on forever, but fuck that! 21st century capitalism baby! Infinite growth!!

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Like a rollercoaster straight into an open grave you will simply not be a position to care once the ride is over

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    The difference between Uber and Amazon is that Amazon continually reinvested money in order to avoid making a profit and keep growing their total revenue. They always sold things at a price that could eventually be profitable at their current size.

What Uber is doing is essentially dropping the price far below what is profitable in order to increase market share and take people away from taxis. Their growth does not really allow them to become more profitable in the long term, just to hopefully eliminate taxis and charge far higher than current prices. This is generally not considered to be a very viable business model, because anybody else, including taxis, can just create an app and go back to charging Uber level or normal prices instead of the theoretical Uber monopoly prices at some point. Uber's primary competitive advantage has always been being able to underpay their workforce, which is why their end goal was to implement self driving cars in order to have no workforce costs whatsoever. As it stands, they mostly limp along by trying to treat their employees as not actually employees and thus underpay them when taking into account how much it costs to actually drive a vehicle for livery service.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Yeah basically Uber's business model is exploit drivers as hard as you can, and then get rid of them

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Found out recently (well, bay area rumour mill via former employees, but I trust the source) that they used to orchestrate DDOS attacks on lyft and other competitors. Which is more of an asshole cherry on a shit sundae than anything truly shocking, but has also got to be a prosecutorial crime, if anyone can dig up evidence.

• Options
    I regret asking that question as all the replies had been thoroughly depressing

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

This guy fucks.

I watched the first few seasons of Silicon Valley and while the show absolutely dunks on that dude I also feel like at times like that one he was absolutely giving good advice because he's an idiot who understands the realm of the idiots

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

this scene works for a lot of reasons but the main one for me is that he's confused "revenue" with "profits"

companies need revenue, all the companies he listed do in fact have it

This discussion has been closed.