As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Dibs on general contractor.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Hey now, I'm a professional chef. I demand to be able to stand in the corner smoking cigarettes and weed and occasionally doing five minutes of actual cooking.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Given my degree qualifications, I'll be the commune's Polybius and document for posterity how a small group of dedicated people became a world power.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    as far as i know there aren't any other blacksmiths that post on these here boards, so i should be golden

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    Hey now, I'm a professional chef. I demand to be able to stand in the corner smoking cigarettes and weed and occasionally doing five minutes of actual cooking.

Yep, that's about par for the course.

All kidding aside, cooking for my friends and family is my own version of showing off as well as enticing other folks to show me their secrets; I've worked in too many places where chefs and kitchen managers hoard their knowledge and refuse to share it like Smaug in The Lonely Mountain's treasure hall. Like, motherfucker, redundancy is key to a successful kitchen, someone's gonna take a sick day, there are these people called 'dentists' and 'doctors' that people go to see, someone's kid is gonna get their arm broken at football practice, and as much as we hate to admit it, everybody's Dear Sweet Grandmother is going to pass on. Cover your fucking bases, teach the skills, share the knowledge, and above all cover your collective asses.

• Options
    if i live to be a thousand years old i'll never forget my first restaurant job at the tender age of fifteen. i show up, they show me the sink where i'll be washing dishes, and then not two hours into my first shift i watch in awe as the chef does this massive rail of coke off his knife. he sees me staring, says "oh shit, sorry dude. did you want some?"

nah man i'm good, but thanks for offering for real

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    it sure would be a shame if the police got hand-me-down shit from the military that i guess is now filtering down to brownshirts that determined people in afghanistan and iraq have spent the past twenty years meticulously documenting how best to disable them

that doesn't even look like military shit, it's a hobby project tacticool civilian truck conversion.

I think its a bobbed deuce and a half (or similar 2.5 ton) with a whole bunch of custom shit on it. You can pick one up for like 5k. I've been keeping an eye on them for a toy hauler/RV conversion.

Can it be flipped by a civic with a reinforced frame and a roll cage?
    as far as i know there aren't any other blacksmiths that post on these here boards, so i should be golden

How did you get into blacksmithing? Ive been thinking of checking it out!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    it sure would be a shame if the police got hand-me-down shit from the military that i guess is now filtering down to brownshirts that determined people in afghanistan and iraq have spent the past twenty years meticulously documenting how best to disable them

that doesn't even look like military shit, it's a hobby project tacticool civilian truck conversion.

I think its a bobbed deuce and a half (or similar 2.5 ton) with a whole bunch of custom shit on it. You can pick one up for like 5k. I've been keeping an eye on them for a toy hauler/RV conversion.

Can it be flipped by a civic with a reinforced frame and a roll cage?

How did you get into blacksmithing? Ive been thinking of checking it out!

i'm entirely self-taught and i built most of my tools from garbage. if you're looking to get into it (which you should, it's fuckin' awesome) i emphatically recommend you get in touch with your local ABANA chapter (if you're in the states) and either paying for some lessons or finding an old-timer who's willing to show you the basics for free. i wasted my first two years by building shitty tools and picking up bad work habits, if i was gonna start over i would've absolutely spent the money on some lessons right out the gate

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    if i live to be a thousand years old i'll never forget my first restaurant job at the tender age of fifteen. i show up, they show me the sink where i'll be washing dishes, and then not two hours into my first shift i watch in awe as the chef does this massive rail of coke off his knife. he sees me staring, says "oh shit, sorry dude. did you want some?"

he's who DARE warned us about

• Options

an unexpected upside to being a juvenile delinquent was that by then i already knew that i don't like cocaine!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

How in the fuck do restaurant chefs afford so much cocaine? That stuff is expensive!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

How in the fuck do restaurant chefs afford so much cocaine? That stuff is expensive!

Try doing 12 hours on your feet 5 days a week without some help. The service industry has a lot of addicts

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

Here it is, not so much in North America

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    We keep threatening to set up a commune and one of these days we’re gonna do it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Look, tonight very well could be the night

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    We keep threatening to set up a commune and one of these days we’re gonna do it

threaten me with a good time

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I am an 18th century leatherworker and also my biggest dream in life is to be a servant (ideally to someone equitably rather than an upper class pig) does any of that get me a spot

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    no gods, no masters

• Options
    facetious wrote: »
    I am an 18th century leatherworker and also my biggest dream in life is to be a servant (ideally to someone equitably rather than an upper class pig) does any of that get me a spot

Even if it doesn't, I will teach you how to stalk, hunt, kill wild game, then butcher it properly according to both kosher and halal methods (they have a slight variance but are mostly similar). And then there's a good two summers of my teenage years working cattle, so that helps. Besides, there are an endless number of tasks to do on a farm/orchard/preserve that require no formal training, just the willingness to do so.

Oh, and you have my vote because leatherworking is one of the primary skills you need in long term survival; making clothes that don't wear out in a year is absolutely essential, right along with making leather patches for knees and elbows to extend the life of pre-existing fabric clothes.

• Options
    the no gods thing is actually negotiable, but no masters is not

• Options
    The only god we need is gin. Possibly some form of whiskey

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'll just die with civilization because I've got nothing to contribute to a commune

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I'll just die with civilization because I've got nothing to contribute to a commune

Commune life also sounds pretty hellish, I'm much too soft for that sort of living

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    To contribute I could be burnt in a huge wicker man for religious or amusement purposes

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    The only god we need is gin. Possibly some form of whiskey

I will build a still, the sky's the limit if you have your own still

• Options
    Requirements to join the SE++ commune:
    Be kind
    Show compassion
    Willingness to dig a hole and/or carry things of varying lengths and weights

The last requirement is negotiable

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'd like to be a groundskeeper/food grower. But only if I get my own shed and can shout at everyone else for trampling my turnips

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Listen, I'm waiting for our SE++ commune to get started.

I'm running the kitchen.

This is not a discussion, nor is it debatable, or negotiable.

I am highly attentive and sympathetic to dietary restrictions and personal tastes.

But I'm running the fucking kitchen.

I would work in your kitchen quite happily.

I warn you that my knife skills will make you physically ill provided you can stop the hysterical laughter.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

I'm running the kitchen.

I am highly attentive and sympathetic to dietary restrictions and personal tastes.

I warn you that my knife skills will make you physically ill provided you can stop the hysterical laughter.

Knife skills are something that every chef keeps promising me that they'll help me work on but never do; I don't like that tradition and I don't intend to continue it.

When I was training my newbies two years ago, I would engage them in contests for prep work: slicing onions, peeling potatoes or carrots, not just for speed, but accuracy as well. It went a long way in a very short period of time since I was actively engaged with what they were doing. I never teased them about their work without a smile and encouragement that they could do better in no time. "Smooth is fast, boys. When you're hectic and frantic and trying to do too much at once, you lose efficiency, you lose your pace because you have to do the whole start-stop-start-stop to remember where or what was the next step. Plan ahead, modify the plan as you go, keep a steady pace. Smooth is fast."

Knife skills are like that as well, take your time to get your muscle memory down, accept that you're not perfect, keep moving forward. Not even Gordon Ramsey was destined to be Gordon Ramsey; he had to grind away at that shit and make a lot of personal sacrifices. It's honestly a kind of miracle that he can have the work/life balance that he enjoys now, no doubt his wife has a great deal to do with that.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I'm running the kitchen.

Knife skills are something that every chef keeps promising me that they'll help me work on but never do; I don't like that tradition and I don't intend to continue it.

When I was training my newbies two years ago, I would engage them in contests for prep work: slicing onions, peeling potatoes or carrots, not just for speed, but accuracy as well. It went a long way in a very short period of time since I was actively engaged with what they were doing. I never teased them about their work without a smile and encouragement that they could do better in no time. "Smooth is fast, boys. When you're hectic and frantic and trying to do too much at once, you lose efficiency, you lose your pace because you have to do the whole start-stop-start-stop to remember where or what was the next step. Plan ahead, modify the plan as you go, keep a steady pace. Smooth is fast."

Knife skills are like that as well, take your time to get your muscle memory down, accept that you're not perfect, keep moving forward. Not even Gordon Ramsey was destined to be Gordon Ramsey; he had to grind away at that shit and make a lot of personal sacrifices. It's honestly a kind of miracle that he can have the work/life balance that he enjoys now, no doubt his wife has a great deal to do with that.

And this is why I’d like to work in your kitchen.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm way to antisocial and got the bad brain to make it in a commune.

Weird mountain hermit with a mushroom farm, now that's got potential.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Knife-wise, I'm above average on fruits and veg and am okay with most proteins, but don't ask me to break-down primals to their parts, haven't done hardly any butchering.

And I've attempted this apple peeling technique and didn't amputate a finger, it just took me almost 3 minutes and my coreing wasn't near as precise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dSEXVJHkNg

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    fuck that!

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    fuck that!

I was realitively young, dumb, and watching lots of Iron Chef. It was a trademark of the original Iron Chef French Hiroyuki Sakai.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    I'm way to antisocial and got the bad brain to make it in a commune.

Weird mountain hermit with a mushroom farm, now that's got potential.

As long as you stop in to deliver some of your mushroom haul and to pick up supplies, I think you’d be good!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I'd like to be a groundskeeper/food grower. But only if I get my own shed and can shout at everyone else for trampling my turnips

We had a guy start a permaculture project in our old and decrepit apple orchard, but he suddenly decided to just about quintuple his rates AND wanted to come more often so it's now stuck in a state of limbo until I can be arsed to do something with it. I can't offer a shed but we have plenty of under-utilised outbuildings.

Also, I've been watching a lot of food related programming on the Netflix and that coupled with all this chef talk is making me miss working in a kitchen...some days I even miss being a waiter, which might be a sign of insanity.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Before all yo disappear off the grid column please send me your money so I can begin my great work

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    We're actually going to need a lot of money to get this off the ground.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd love to join your commune, but unless it's got power, I don't really have any useful skills to contribute.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The point of a commune is that if you are willing to learn and do whatever you can to support the commune, then it doesn't matter

This discussion has been closed.