As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Low Bar: Cleared!

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Just saw a guy in the stands with a yankees face mask on. Couldn't help but thing

"Bandwagon much?". 2 of the more succesfull teams in sports, and you're a fan of both. Makes total sense

Only one of which has had any significant success in the last twenty years.

Rooting for a shitty team doesn't make you a better fan.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Tannahill threw for 334 yards Sunday? I know having henry makes things easier, but fuck. He's looking like the guy we hoped we drafted in miami these last 2 seasons. I always thought he made bad reads. His wr never helped him and his line was crap, but he was mediocre at best. He looks legit in tennessee.

*Slightly nervous about tua in miami now*

• Options
    Piotyr wrote: »
    Just saw a guy in the stands with a yankees face mask on. Couldn't help but thing

"Bandwagon much?". 2 of the more succesfull teams in sports, and you're a fan of both. Makes total sense

Goes with his Laker jersey.

That was my thought.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

Goes with his Laker jersey.

That was my thought.

Probably also has a Kobe jersey, a lebron heat jersey, and a curry golden state warriors one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I think it does. You go through years of suffering, but stick with them. Teaches you about commitment, and that things aren't always gonna work out. Harsh life lessons but lessons you need to learn.

Or you can root for the yankees, cowboys, and lakers, see every game on national tv, always come into the season with hope, and always compete. And these types of fans are quick to hop on the next bandwagon.

Maybe I'm just a salty fan. Born in 81, like the dolphins, suns, and reds. When the reds won the world series in 88 I was rooting for Oakland because I was a kid and they were awesome. Hash brothers yo.

I never watched hockey growing up, started watching a few years ago and became a kings fan since I live 45 minutes from la and could watch games. Them winning a championship doesn't count as I recently became a kings fan and hockey watcher because of the nhl video game.

No team I root for, minus the kings which I don't count, has ever won a championship in my lifetime, and I'm not sure they will. But there's a difference between a browns fan and a seahawks / Patriots fan. So many people who never watched football ever hoped on those bandwagons, and the cowboys are one of the most popular teams in america.

So yes, I feel like rooting for a shitty team makes you a better fan, shows you're actually a fan and not just fairweather.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Tre: *literally tackle Ceedee running his route before making an INT*

Ref: "What does that matter? None of this matters."

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Tannahill threw for 334 yards Sunday? I know having henry makes things easier, but fuck. He's looking like the guy we hoped we drafted in miami these last 2 seasons. I always thought he made bad reads. His wr never helped him and his line was crap, but he was mediocre at best. He looks legit in tennessee.

I wouldn't worry about Tua. Tannahill's rebirth is due to not being under Adam Gase.

Who, at this moment, still has the HC job for the Jets.

Like, Woody Johnson is a fuckin moron.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about Tua. Tannahill's rebirth is due to not being under Adam Gase.

That's UK ambassador fucking moron, thank you very much!

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

That's UK ambassador fucking moron, thank you very much!

Gase got scooped up faster then McCarthy despite never even pretending to look successful

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man the cowboys getting exposed at home like their name was Toobin.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Maybe dallas is the smartest organization in the history of sports and jerry jones went to a prophet and foresaw daks injury. He'll never be the same and that's why they never gave him.a long term.contraxt that he deserved.

But fuck dallas for not paying the man and realizing he was a big part of their success. He was better than romo.

I still say it's because he wasn't white and the image of a dallas qb.

And I say this as a white man

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Man, a bunch of people in Texas are gonna get Covid because they really wanted to go watch exceptionally crappy football. Good job Cowboys

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I think it does. You go through years of suffering, but stick with them. Teaches you about commitment, and that things aren't always gonna work out. Harsh life lessons but lessons you need to learn.

Or you can root for the yankees, cowboys, and lakers, see every game on national tv, always come into the season with hope, and always compete. And these types of fans are quick to hop on the next bandwagon.

Maybe I'm just a salty fan. Born in 81, like the dolphins, suns, and reds. When the reds won the world series in 88 I was rooting for Oakland because I was a kid and they were awesome. Hash brothers yo.

I never watched hockey growing up, started watching a few years ago and became a kings fan since I live 45 minutes from la and could watch games. Them winning a championship doesn't count as I recently became a kings fan and hockey watcher because of the nhl video game.

No team I root for, minus the kings which I don't count, has ever won a championship in my lifetime, and I'm not sure they will. But there's a difference between a browns fan and a seahawks / Patriots fan. So many people who never watched football ever hoped on those bandwagons, and the cowboys are one of the most popular teams in america.

So yes, I feel like rooting for a shitty team makes you a better fan, shows you're actually a fan and not just fairweather.

Santa was saying the Cowboys haven't been one of the most successful teams in sports in a very long time.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Not all fans of currently successful teams are bandwagon fans

I’ve been with the Seahawks off and on since Steve Largent

Although when i was younger, i switched team allegiances a few times for personal reasons. Broncos drafted my uncle so i followed them for a few years. Then he went to St. Louis, got a ring there. He went to Dallas and i was always happy to see him on the field although I couldn’t bring myself to root for them.

Then he ended up in Seattle and that’s where he retired

But i also think there comes a time when you need to cut your losses and stop worrying about if you’re a “fairweather” fan for seeking greener pastures.

I was a Mariners fan for a lot of years but after 2 decades of “wait ‘til next year” I’ve moved on

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I_got_that_reference_Cap.jpg

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

I_got_that_reference_Cap.jpg

Oh, screw you for making me look it up.

:(

• Options

Santa was saying the Cowboys haven't been one of the most successful teams in sports in a very long time.

25 years since their last Championship, most of that time since being regularly mediocre since (4-4 in Wildcard games, 0-6 in Divisional games).

I think it's less about the success, and more about the marketing. Cowboys and Yankees are both previously successful franchises, but they're also the most marketed teams in their respective sports. It's the reason I mentioned earlier in the thread about hating the amount of love Dallas gets when it's so completely unjustified based on their performance.

So, it might not be that he's a bandwagoner, it could just be he's REALLY shallow, and very easily manipulated by advertising/marketing.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

25 years since their last Championship, most of that time since being regularly mediocre since (4-4 in Wildcard games, 0-6 in Divisional games).

I think it's less about the success, and more about the marketing. Cowboys and Yankees are both previously successful franchises, but they're also the most marketed teams in their respective sports. It's the reason I mentioned earlier in the thread about hating the amount of love Dallas gets when it's so completely unjustified based on their performance.

So, it might not be that he's a bandwagoner, it could just be he's REALLY shallow, and very easily manipulated by advertising/marketing.

It's 100% the marketing. Which is why the Cowboys will never be great again as long as Jones is alive.

He pretends to give a shit about winning but he absolutely doesn't. He cares about promotion and merch.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I think he wants to win but he’s a dumb shit

He made his money getting lucky as a wildcatter and since then thinks his promotional business success is because of skill or something when it was just his money and connections that gave him an uncompetitive advantage

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I dunno Jerry Jones is exactly the kind of asshole who would be worried about his team being too good and him having to pay out for shit like performance bonuses and playoff wins and shit

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I dunno Jerry Jones is exactly the kind of asshole who would be worried about his team being too good and him having to pay out for shit like performance bonuses and playoff wins and shit

That would be nothing compared to the 15-minute orgasm he'd have after getting photographed holding up the Lombardi Trophy.

• Options
    edited October 2020

That’s Mike Brown

Jerry’s problem isn’t being cheap with players or coaches, it’s committing too much for too long to mediocrity, or when he’s had a good coach, meddling and running the dude off
    admanb wrote: »

That would be nothing compared to the 15-minute orgasm he'd have after getting photographed holding up the Lombardi Trophy.

Not enough blue pills for him to take to overcome his chronic whiskey(bourbon) dick

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Remember, the issue with Prescott was that he wanted a four year deal and the team was offering five.

• Options
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30156280/pretty-good-chance-washington-football-team-remains-2021-says-team-president

This continues to be one of my favorite NFL stories. So I have no problem with dragging it out.

Apparently there are rumors the delay is because Snyder wants to bring back the racist slur. Which, if we don't have a change in President on January 20th, I could absolutely see happening.

But the argument I'm hoping for, is that the reason for the delay is that having the capacity to name it is a decent selling point, and if Snyder is forced out (and he should be, fuck him), that helps to increase bidding potential and begin a fresh slate, with the new owner (who will inevitably be a dickbag, though hopefully not as bad).

• Options
    Washington Football Team is a very rad name that people had already been using pejoratively (and humorously) for years, and keeping that name makes them my favorite NFC East team, and keeping the name AND getting a new owner would put them in a competitive position with the Browns* as my favorite team

*my dad’s an asshole for cursing me with this fandom

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    while my advocacy for the Redtails is undimmed I do think there's kind of an interesting case for just not having the mascot be part of the official title; just call themselves PFC Washington or something, keep the marching band and the pig guys and make your logo a skyline of the city or a relief of the capitol or something

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Washington Football Team is a great name, but I'll never like them as a team as long as Snyder is in any way still involved with the team.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    They should change it to DC Football Team.

The don't deserve a "W"

• Options

The don't deserve a "W"

Or go with a French syntax.

Washington Team d'Football.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

The don't deserve a "W"

Or go with a French syntax.

Washington Team d'Football.

In French it would be more like Team d'Football Washington.

• Options
    The fucking who?

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing about it is cheers that would totally have to involve it. “Go Washington Football Team!” Is the kind of cheer you’d expect to hear alongside, “Go Sportsball!” And “Hit a Touchdown!”

• Options
    The objectively best thing about it is how it shows up in the scores tab of the NFL app
    94j70hkwmpbq.png

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Battle for the division lead!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oh my god ::chefs kiss::

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about it is cheers that would totally have to involve it. “Go Washington Football Team!” Is the kind of cheer you’d expect to hear alongside, “Go Sportsball!” And “Hit a Touchdown!”

I enjoyed the article that started out something like "The players from Washington played like they wanted to make a name for themselves..." Although with their record I presume it's the only time that's been used so far...

• Options
    Seattle has expressed interest in signing Antonio Brown.

Kaep wasn't good enough for anybody.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Uhhh. Soccer exists you know. “Town football club” is like... traditional naming.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    The objectively best thing about it is how it shows up in the scores tab of the NFL app
    94j70hkwmpbq.png

Ha, that’s hilarious. I still say the WFT branding is solid, and differentiates them. Sites just need to fix how they parse they name.