As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I cannot imagine the mind that played one of the first two Watch Underscore Dogs, and upon scanning some random goon with their one line of background, and thought "Oh man, I want to play as them"

EDIT: Actually I do understand the urge to play as anybody but Aiden Pierce, but Marcus was cool

The idea that revolutions must be the collective effort of the people and not the work of charismatic individuals is a cool theme for a game. Whether a AAA game by Ubisoft is the best vehicle to explore that idea is a different question.

To be honest, I’m still tempted to play it. I miss London - and traveling in general - terribly and would love to lose myself for a few days playing the “Did they model my favorite spots?” game.

I also am really enjoying the map and the environmental work on the game. The coolest part is that while I've never been to London, there have been multiple times I've stopped and been amazed that I know where I am because I can recognize the area from AC Syndicate!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    I cannot imagine the mind that played one of the first two Watch Underscore Dogs, and upon scanning some random goon with their one line of background, and thought "Oh man, I want to play as them"

EDIT: Actually I do understand the urge to play as anybody but Aiden Pierce, but Marcus was cool

The idea that revolutions must be the collective effort of the people and not the work of charismatic individuals is a cool theme for a game. Whether a AAA game by Ubisoft is the best vehicle to explore that idea is a different question.

To be honest, I’m still tempted to play it. I miss London - and traveling in general - terribly and would love to lose myself for a few days playing the “Did they model my favorite spots?” game.

I also am really enjoying the map and the environmental work on the game. The coolest part is that while I've never been to London, there have been multiple times I've stopped and been amazed that I know where I am because I can recognize the area from AC Syndicate!

London’s an interesting city because while it is huge, most of the iconic spots are within walking distance of each other since the layout hugs the Thames.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    On a more positive note, Legion has some of the best clothing options in an open world game I've ever seen. The best part is a lot of items have multiple options for wearing them zipped up or open, and with hoods up and down. Half the reason I want to recruit people is just to dress them up!

Has it really been since Saint's Row 2 that a developer has given us options like "tucked or untucked?" "zipped or open?" options for clothing?

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    And that's Ghostrunner finished.

I wanted to give it 8+, but in the end I would rate it 8/10. I had a lot of fun, but a) story got really predictable at the end and b) I straight up disliked boss fights, which were first too difficult, and then too gimmicky. Especially the first one - I died 325 times in one hour (!), and most of the time, I did not even knew what I was doing wrong, and what should I have been doing instead to succeed sooner.

Despite the flaws, it's still probably my second favourite game of this year (behind Hades), although I will give it some more though later - right now, I am feeling straight up exhausted.

Asthariel on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    And that's Ghostrunner finished.

I wanted to give it 8+, but in the end I would rate it 8/10. I had a lot of fun, but a) story got really predictable at the end and b) I straight up disliked boss fights, which were first too difficult, and then too gimmicky. Especially the first one - I died 325 times in one hour (!), and most of the time, I did not even knew what I was doing wrong, and what should I have been doing instead to succeed sooner.

Despite the flaws, it's still probably my second favourite game of this year (behind Hades), although I will give it some more though later - right now, I am feeling straight up exhausted.

Just in terms of boss fights, I really appreciate how the boss fights in Hades are around bosses that have the same abilities you can get - with a little extra - and you beat them by mixing and matching those abilities in different ways. It’s so much better than ones that change the rules of the game to put you at an artificial disadvantage.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh uh

Whoops

Even if you shoot the guns out their hands you still have to kill them so don't worry
    If you shoot pig fucker's gun he comes at you with a knife. If you disarm the Mexican guy all his dudes light you up. And if you disarm Billy Midnight he pulls another gun and shoots himself. I think, my memory of that one is a but fuzzy on account of trauma from my horse committing suicide during it.

Oh good!
    I was afraid for my horse too because I thought it might get hit by the train in the Billy Midnight confrontation

Now I just want to find where the dude that gave me this mission is now

He'll show up on your map again later

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Anyone familiar with this Golden Light game? It has been recommended that I get brutally altered and play it for halloweens sake

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I finally bought dead by daylight

this game is pretty fun

I am pyramid head, and he is strong and my friend

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Wow what the flyin fuck is this demented shit

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Any view of London is worth remembering:

1) The City of London is different from London the city because it's a corponation tax haven.

2) The City o f London as a tax haven is so old it's enshrined in the magna carta.

Which is why all the cool history bits are in walking distance.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Checking out Outstar's twitter and saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKvO59q548&feature=youtu.be

Battle Royale set in the V:TM world.
    Sharkmob wrote:
    Experience the next thrilling evolution of Battle Royale multiplayer action games set in the cult classic Vampire: The Masquerade universe where vampire sects are at war across the streets and rooftops of Prague. Choose your playstyle, go solo or together, battling rivals and the hostile Entity

Trailer is done entirely using the in-game engine, so at the very least it looks pretty. I really like that WoD is just saying fuck it, and letting devs do what they want to in the setting.

Midnite on
  • Options
    You know what, sure, after Nosgoth who can pretend vampires aren't cool in multiplayer.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    @Kristmas Kthulhu I'm up for being a Battle Brothers redshirt if you still need fodderrecruits!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/PpRRLYJ5fIQ

I have already watched this trailer like 4 times today.

I have no interest in ever playing league but I have absolutely devoured all their animated shorts and trailers.

Also this is being made by Airship Syndicate who I adore so yeah, pretty excited for this game.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    League of Legends: Ruined King is similar to K/DA

Where it can be good (most likely) or bad (unlikely) but either way ti tshows a video game so big it forces reinvention.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Words cannot express my disappointment at their champion picks. They have so many weird monsters and designs in their repertoire and they go for the likes of Yasuo, Ahri and Miss Fortune?

I guess traditionally attractive sells, but eff me if it's not as interesting as an old boot, I can already get that from 90% of other games on the market...

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    @Kristmas Kthulhu I'm up for being a Battle Brothers redshirt if you still need fodderrecruits!

I've made notes of everyone that's already applied, but I still think I will need a whole lot more meat for the grinder.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sure throw me in there

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    I'll volunteer to die horribly.

...you can use me in the game also.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Words cannot express my disappointment at their champion picks. They have so many weird monsters and designs in their repertoire and they go for the likes of Yasuo, Ahri and Miss Fortune?

I guess traditionally attractive sells, but eff me if it's not as interesting as an old boot, I can already get that from 90% of other games on the market...

those are like 3 of their most popular champions in the game so like, yeah? that's a company designing characters with mass market appeal and then the mass market going "i'll buy that!"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I've made notes of everyone that's already applied, but I still think I will need a whole lot more meat for the grinder.

You can grind me up, fuck it. I'm disposable irl, might as well reflect that in a game too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'll join, but only if my death can be both futile and easily preventable in hindsight.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'll join, but only if my death can be both futile and easily preventable in hindsight.

And funny, don't forget funny

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Kristmas Kthulhu

I, too, will die for your glory convenience.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey for you folks who have played Divinity Original Sin 2 online, would it function decently with high ping? I know combat is turn based and I have satellite, and my friends would love to try a coop game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am hearing reports of "yes that should work fine probably if you don't do stealth pickpocketing stuff"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jesus, animation work blows at the best of times much less at $2.70 an hour.

Never go into a cool industry.

Unless your cool industry is unionized

Working in TV has its frustrations, but the unions are PHENOMENAL.

Well, the actors union is okay, but that's mainly because it's run by actors

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I am hearing reports of "yes that should work fine probably if you don't do stealth pickpocketing stuff"

Awesome, that was my findings as well. I'll let someone else be the rogue.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Given my time in Battle Brothers most folks will be [insert name] the fifteenth by like 30 days.

Although actually I guess if you're on a mildly successful run you aren't having that much attrition. I more had like a lot of 6-person groups die in the 4th fight.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I demand you call the company the Battle Buddies

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Oh, sign me up for a battle brother. I'll die for a good cause. Or a bad cause. Any cause, really.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

those are like 3 of their most popular champions in the game so like, yeah? that's a company designing characters with mass market appeal and then the mass market going "i'll buy that!"
    I mean you just repeated my second paragraph in so many words. I understand how companies work, it doesn't mean my personal taste is shaped by it, nor my desire for artistic expression in my chosen hobby to not be solely profits driven.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Jesus, animation work blows at the best of times much less at $2.70 an hour.

Never go into a cool industry.

Unless your cool industry is unionized

Working in TV has its frustrations, but the unions are PHENOMENAL.

Well, the actors union is okay, but that's mainly because it's run by actors

Seriously! So many Cool Industry problems could be easily solved by unionizing. It's not even funny how much progress could be made for videogame developers if they'd just fucking unionize already.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Has anyone discussed Little Hope yet?

(full spoilers)
    What a let down. It was all in the person's head storylines are always lazy and they're overdone. The little girl at the start literally has some kind of apparition next to her telling her to kill her family, yet nothing apparently supernatural was going on. So all the witch trial time travel stuff led to nothing, characters can live or die, and it doesn't seem to have any impact on anything but which ending you get where the main character seems to survive regardless (except for a suicide ending). I can't tell if something supernatural originally happened and they just decided that the story wouldn'tbe about the supernatural part it would be about the survivor's guilt, or if the constant delays mean they changed the story and forgot to take certain things out.

There's something interesting in a bunch of souls being bound to keep reuniting and dying through time because of some offense in the past, but none of that ever actually happened. Someone said that the 1970s priest was mentioned in regards to Megan but I'm not sure Andrew even knew about that so why would the priest be so integral to the 1790s part, and if so, why are we not even given the opportunity to punish the actual priest?

The end result seems to be shit happens, destroys a family, and this guy who did nothing wrong but put a kettle on, has spent his entire life living with the guilt of it, but nothing else is resolved. And the older 1970s sister jumped back into a burning house instead of making the pretty short jump to the ground. It is filled with lazy writing throughout, and when you compound it with the terrible control scheme (on PC at least) it just made for a generally unpleasant experience. You can't be taking the better half of a year to churn out episodes and be failing so hard.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

This is, disgustingly, pretty normal. I got out of school in 08, majored in digital animation. My options for work were basically doing background CGI work for an FX studio for roughly 25k a year, or try to freelance to do stuff. I said fuck it and started my own web design business instead, working other random side jobs as well, and eventually taking a design and video editing job at a university after a few years of that. At no point in those years I was looking did I ever find anything even approaching what I would call a "livable" income for rigging and animation. I'm sure those kinds of jobs exist here and there, but they are few and far, far in between.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    That is about 120% of polish minimum wage. Still shocking for someone coming out of higher education, but not a crime.
    Animators wages have been dropping across the industry though. Supply and Demand and the companies have no scruples at all going for lower wages on the high supply. I believe its also the part of game development most outsourced. I believe about 20% of all animations in Horizon Zero Dawn were made in China, for about $900/month. (It is crazy that that is higher now than polish wages....)
    Integrating new artists is probably way easier than integrating new programmers. So you can just fire expensive people except those working crazy hours 'voluntarily' and higher new people every game.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    That is about 120% of polish minimum wage. Still shocking for someone coming out of higher education, but not a crime.
    Animators wages have been dropping across the industry though. Supply and Demand and the companies have no scruples at all going for lower wages on the high supply. I believe its also the part of game development most outsourced. I believe about 20% of all animations in Horizon Zero Dawn were made in China, for about $900/month. (It is crazy that that is higher now than polish wages....)
    Integrating new artists is probably way easier than integrating new programmers. So you can just fire expensive people except those working crazy hours 'voluntarily' and higher new people every game.

"Well it isn't illegal" is more damning of the system writ-large than a defense of the practice.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I am not defending it, I am pointing out long term rot in the industry with the caveat that Poland is much poorer than most people in the USA usually think. This and the "I earned $25k a year" post are probably roughly equivalent in experience.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
This discussion has been closed.