As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Game Pass...passes...onto the new thread.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I randomly bought a Series X a couple weeks ago with no issues from EB Games Canada. Just went to their website on a saturday and bought one, the whole thing took 30 seconds.

turns out I incredibly lucked out. This was the first time I ever even bothered looking for one.

Also the system seems pretty good so far!

This is how most recent purchaser of a PS5 that I personally know got his console (forget which model, probably with a disc drive as those are more common?). He stated his intention on Facebook to start looking for a console the next day, then just checked Walmart, Target, and a couple other websites and lucked out.

Pre-ordering is overrated. :lol:

to be fair the only reason i also have a PS5 is because I did pre-order that bad boy heh

Having briefly had two Xbox Series X consoles, both from pre-orders, yeah, you're not wrong.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got an Xbox 360 wireless controller to work with WinXP in vmware. It was a modded driver.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I randomly bought a Series X a couple weeks ago with no issues from EB Games Canada. Just went to their website on a saturday and bought one, the whole thing took 30 seconds.

turns out I incredibly lucked out. This was the first time I ever even bothered looking for one.

This is how most recent purchaser of a PS5 that I personally know got his console (forget which model, probably with a disc drive as those are more common?). He stated his intention on Facebook to start looking for a console the next day, then just checked Walmart, Target, and a couple other websites and lucked out.

to be fair the only reason i also have a PS5 is because I did pre-order that bad boy heh

Having briefly had two Xbox Series X consoles, both from pre-orders, yeah, you're not wrong.

I briefly had two Digital PS5s at launch from Pre-orders! lol (i sold the second one to my neighbour at cost, was not expecting both to actually go through back when i ordered them)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    The $100 ones. None for sale at the normal price on Amazon. But $200 will get you one.

In the meantime...if you don't need the BT support, the LucidSound LS35X sounds better, probably has a better mic, and might even be more comfortable (that's a very relative thing), on top of being discounted to $126.

It isn't as user friendly if you regularly switch between devices though.

You bastard.

*buy now*

I hate you. :)

You'll just have to settle for not getting the lovely hardshell case given free to early adopters. :biggrin:

They have arrived!

...but for reasons I do not understand they cause my tinnitus to get much worse. They sound great, though! And, unlike my 7.1 setup, they do not keep the rest of the house awake by shaking the walls.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Alright, GPU expired yesterday. Checked my subs and it shows under 'canceled'. But my installed gamepass games still work.

I'm paranoid of trying to add the 3 years gold and do the conversion because of that.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The $100 ones. None for sale at the normal price on Amazon. But $200 will get you one.

In the meantime...if you don't need the BT support, the LucidSound LS35X sounds better, probably has a better mic, and might even be more comfortable (that's a very relative thing), on top of being discounted to $126.

It isn't as user friendly if you regularly switch between devices though.

You bastard.

*buy now*

I hate you. :)

You'll just have to settle for not getting the lovely hardshell case given free to early adopters. :biggrin:

They have arrived!

...but for reasons I do not understand they cause my tinnitus to get much worse. They sound great, though! And, unlike my 7.1 setup, they do not keep the rest of the house awake by shaking the walls.

I'd presume that's the sound isolation. I have tinnitus as well (though it used to be worse, I have some sinus decongestant for that too), though turning on the mic, even when the input isn't attached and the port is covered, might help.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I briefly had two Digital PS5s at launch from Pre-orders! lol (i sold the second one to my neighbour at cost, was not expecting both to actually go through back when i ordered them)

My wife has been trying to get a PS5, and I've been trying to help her, all to no avail thus far.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I’m really enjoying Zombie Army 4 on Gamepass, which I wasn’t expecting. I’ve tried a few of the others, and they didnt click with me, even though I really like the Sniper Elite games it’s a spin-off from.

This is really clicking with me though, but I suspect it’s because I’m playing in easy baby mode, so I can actually survive.

Slow motion zombie killing is fun !

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Almost 'finished' with GTA5 on X1 and I don't know of I'd really consider getting it again in future on the Series. So many little, annoying things that weren't there on the 360. Just a bunch of quality-of-life bugs that didn't get fixed.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Bloomberg Japan is reporting that a few banks have suggested a few parties are looking at purchasing Square. I'd assume Tencent, Sony and Microsoft. Laugh like an idiot if Microsoft did buy them.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I just cannot see Microsoft getting away with that after the Bethesda buyout

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Bloomberg Japan is reporting that a few banks have suggested a few parties are looking at purchasing Square. I'd assume Tencent, Sony and Microsoft. Laugh like an idiot if Microsoft did buy them.

Yoshi-P would sure as hell find time to get that FF14 Xbox port done if that happens.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Imagine FF7R actually coming to PC...

Cursed monkey paw: Windows Store only!

More seriously, a console manufacturer buying these guys has almost the same problem as Sega though; Nintendo handhelds look to be the last bastion of console gaming in Japan, so their Japan-focused games are going to lose big time if forced to go exclusive for another console. Which probably means less games overall rather than more.

But isn't buying Japanese companies kind of difficult if you aren't a Japanese company? That could rather limit the buyers.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Regulators didn't stop Disney from buying Fox, they ain't going to care about MS buying 2 out of a dozen different publishers.

That said, I highly doubt it happens.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I doubt microsoft would buy square, like Bethesda seems like the last big software house purchase.

I'd be mad if Sony did because even more exclusivity.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I just thought of something.

Embracer Group is huge now (having recently bought Gearbox). They're like Activison/EA/Ubisoft big at this point. Ya'll think we might see them start doing an E3 presser? (Provided E3 continues to be a thing)

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Phil has straight up said they are still in buy mode and that they wanted to buy a Japanese studio.

• Options

lol, getting away with it, what like gamers won't stand for it?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I think he means more like they've already spent a ton of money on acquisitions, they're probably not going to be throwing even more money around after that.

cB557 on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cB557 wrote: »

I think me means more like they've already spent a ton of money on acquisitions, they're probably not going to be throwing even more money around after that.

They can and will because they are fuckin' Microsoft. They just bought Nuance for $20 Billion. Dunno if they have as big gaming acquisitions left in them but they have money and a will to buy stuff for sure.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It's gonna feel pretty shitty to me if the only reason I end up getting a Series X is because MS ends up buying a few devs I like, and not because they actually created games I wanted to play.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The massive monolith of Microsoft definitely has enough money to make more massive acquisitions, but that doesn't mean it's going to spend that money on every huge acquisition it can.

• Options
    I meant like, legally can they buy up that many studio/properties? But I guess after Disney just kinda owning everything they maybe care less? Who knows

• Options
    I meant like, legally can they buy up that many studio/properties? But I guess after Disney just kinda owning everything they maybe care less? Who knows

I don't think they step in unless the actions can be proven toxic.

Microsoft is a pretty big publisher now, but they're probably not even the biggest in the world, and there's a decent amount of fish in that pond still.

• Options

I don't think they step in unless the actions can be proven toxic.

Microsoft is a pretty big publisher now, but they're probably not even the biggest in the world, and there's a decent amount of fish in that pond still.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's just weird seeing a console maker buying so many studios up, though I'm assuming Bethesda was more expensive than all their other purchases combined. Microsoft was under scrutiny for a monopoly back in the 90's, but I guess they'd have to do worse than drop a couple billion to attract the eye of the government.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

They could theoretically run into problems, and probably would have if we were living in the legal structure of the early 80s. But to block mergers and acquisitions currently you’d have to do two things A) prove it’s going to be produce a monopoly B) prove the monopoly is going to harm consumers.

Pretty tough to do both, which is why it’s easy for Disney to keep gobbling the world and Microsoft isn’t likely to run into trouble buying studios.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can't see any big name established Japanese properties, like S-E, accepting a buyout by an American company like MS. Just... well a combo of national pride and racism, you decide the ratio of each. I'd be supremely shocked if it actually happened.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I can't see any big name established Japanese properties, like S-E, accepting a buyout by an American company like MS. Just... well a combo of national pride and racism, you decide the ratio of each. I'd be supremely shocked if it actually happened.

The videogame industry is constricting in Japan. It's possible we'll see a point where Japanese developers have to rely on global sales to survive, in which case, selling to a US publisher would make sense.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I think that anyone buying a Japanese developer especially Square probably isn't in the platform owner business. You would lose significant revenue by cutting out either segment of consoles (Switch or high end)

So unless MS or Sony is willing to let Square still make Switch games that's probably not happening.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Squeenix itself commented on this: https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20210416_01en.pdf
    Bloomberg has reported today that there is interest from several buyers to acquire Square Enix. However, this report is not based on any announcement by SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD. We do not consider selling off the company or any part of its businesses, nor have we received any offer from any third party to acquire the company or any part of its businesses.

• Options
    I've been posting about this way too much but

3 years of Gold successfully converted to GPU!

Was nervous it wouldn't work anymore.

Now just 4 more days and I can get the other xbox set up the same way.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    SeriesS has been in stock at Microsoft since yesterday afternoon. it looks like that market is finally stabilizing.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SeriesS has been in stock at Microsoft since yesterday afternoon. it looks like that market is finally stabilizing.

Kinda not great news for MS if true, given how far behind they are in # of produced units vs Sony and the fact that the MSRP is so bargain basement. Also that far less of them should exist than Xs right now.

• Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

so my gp ult doesn't expire until October but what exactly is the process here?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Grabbed Rain on Your Parade off of Gamepass last night. Cute little troublemaking sim in the vein of Goose Game. You play as a cardboard cloud going around causing mischief in various levels. It's got a lot of video game refs thrown in too, seen CS Dust2, metal gear solid, frogger. Fun little time waster

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Kinda not great news for MS if true, given how far behind they are in # of produced units vs Sony and the fact that the MSRP is so bargain basement. Also that far less of them should exist than Xs right now.

Oh man is nintendo going to buy microsoft now? Should be we worried and smash our xboxes? THEY HAVE PRODUCT?! OH SHIT BETTER FREAK OUT!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Oh man is nintendo going to buy microsoft now? Should be we worried and smash our xboxes? THEY HAVE PRODUCT?! OH SHIT BETTER FREAK OUT!

If you aren't first, you are the worst!

• Options

Let it expire, add however many years of Gold , up to 3, and then resub to GPU. Unless they change it it'll do a 1 for 1 conversion

• Options

Let it expire, add however many years of Gold , up to 3, and then resub to GPU. Unless they change it it'll do a 1 for 1 conversion

dang

can you even buy yearly gold cars still?!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I found a yearly gold card recently. Can I convert it to GPU?

can you feel the struggle within?