As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Definitely not going to dive into the comments on that. You just know it is full of boomers claiming they survived their childhoods by scrumping apples and that would have been a luxury 50 years ago.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shitty
    Casual wrote: »
    It's an entirely moot point for me since Labour made themselves politically irrelevant in Scotland, but for what it's worth if I were in England this wouldn't be enough to stop me voting for a Labour candidate. I disagree with it, and it would make me even more resentful of having to vote for them than I already am but this is just the state of UK politics. If Corbyns Labour should teach us one lesson over all it's the importance of not letting perfect be the enemy of the least worst option.

Labour suck. They are not a good or particularly competent political party, but if you're waiting for someone to come along who agrees with you on every single issue of importance and can immediately sweep up 51% of the electorate... you'll be waiting a very long time. Politics is a slow march, immediate seismic change almost never happens and when it does it's more often than not for the worse. You vote for the people who can make things a little bit better, and you keep doing it every time until one day, if you're lucky, your grandkids get to grow up in the world you wish you had.

Starmer is pretty screwed no matter what he does since he seems to need both Brexit and Rejoin voters in order to get the seats needed to form a government, at least as far as I can tell that's the case. I think his current position though leans a bit too far as far as playing towards the Brexit side. The deal is the deal and we'll have to deal with that deal in 2024 seems a bit too passive or defeatist for my tastes. Maybe put in something about working to improve the deal or nibble around the edges? At least talk about getting back into some of the EU programs like Erasmus or something? Throw the Rejoiners a little bit of a bone. Plus there's the dubiousness that for Starmer's position to work, the Brexit types have to take him literally, while the Rejoiners need to assume that he's prevaricating a bit and is really on their side but just can't say it.

I think the idea that people, Rejoiners that is, will take a look at the situation and automatically recognize that Labour is the only option for eventually rejoining the EU and behave and vote accordingly is optimistic at best. I'm not sure what the Greens and Lib-Dems are up to exactly, but they're still around and it's FPTP, so they're a potential vote sink.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    wtf I thought I was in the bad food thread for a second..

30 pounds?? Someone is keeping all the "overhead" money for themselves here.

If you buy bulk, 30 pounds can get you a lot more food.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    Jack aka The bootstrap cook is well known for making meals out of the cheapest food available in order to help people on low incomes:

She's also well known for winning a libel case against Katie Hopkins.

• Options
    Shitty
    I have to admit that the Tories have been quite impressive with the scale and brazenness of their corruption.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Not sure if it's nationally or just in Nottingham but Wetherspoons have been putting up "articles" from their newsletter in the windows of the pubs.

Apparently they talk about an alternate way to deal with Covid, what ever the fuck that is. Obviously Tim Martin would rather everyone go to the pub and die.

Fortunately they've all been spray painted over from the outside. One pub had "70,000" dead sprayed on it.

Not that I drank in Wetherspoons but this is yet another reason not to.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    In other food news: this is an example of what Tory chums Chartwells have been providing to replace £30 free school meal vouchers:

pz6sr40uthmd.jpg

Taken from this Twitter feed of a recipient, with other examples in the thread:

People have crunched the numbers and estimate that the food supplies at retail prices come out at around £5 - so people relying on free school meals are £25 worse off

So a ton of carbs with some fruit and veg to make it seem healthier than it is?
    I guess less than a slice of cheese and a spoonful of beans is all the protein content a growing child needs. :/

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Don't want the povs growing too big - they won't fit up the chimneys

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    What you've all failed to realise is that this is what £30 gets you at Fortnum and Mason so it's entirely reasonable imo

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    What you've all failed to realise is that this is what £30 gets you at Fortnum and Mason so it's entirely reasonable imo

It's two bananas, how much could it cost? £20?

Actually that'd make the basket a lot more reasonable.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    In no way is that ten days worth of food. Two/three I would say (and three would be pushing it).

• Options
    Shitty
    In other food news: this is an example of what Tory chums Chartwells have been providing to replace £30 free school meal vouchers:

pz6sr40uthmd.jpg

Taken from this Twitter feed of a recipient, with other examples in the thread:

People have crunched the numbers and estimate that the food supplies at retail prices come out at around £5 - so people relying on free school meals are £25 worse off

So a ton of carbs with some fruit and veg to make it seem healthier than it is?
    I guess less than a slice of cheese and a spoonful of beans is all the protein content a growing child needs. :/

That's not even a ton of carbs. Plus I guess there's fruit and vegetables for ten days if you cut everything in half and generously count potatoes as vegetables.

The more I look at that picture, the angrier I get about it. It's just so.... cartoonishly evil. Like the next step would be to bundle in a copy of To Serve Man.

What a bunch of assholes.

• Options
    21 slices of bread, 8 slices of cheese and a can of beans gives you 8 cheese sandwiches and 2 portions of beans on toast. You can use one of those presliced bread ends as a snack if it doesn't go moldy by the end.
    I guess the pasta + tomato + carrot would make 1 meal.
    2 potatoes for 2 portions of chips?
    The rest is just snacks, there's no way that a single apple or a single banana would count as a meal in itself.

Generously, that is 13 shitty meals for 10 days.

FFS, even if you count the remaining items individually, you wouldn't reach the healthy number of 30 meals needed for the time period.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    In no way is that ten days worth of food. Two/three I would say (and three would be pushing it).

Apparently the package is only meant to cover lunches for ten days, in which case even "eight shitty cheese sandwiches and two jacket potatoes" falls straight under the malicious compliance category.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Those cheese slices don't even cover half of a bread slice, so you just end up with leftover stale white bread.

That package is just infuriating.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I used to think that Dickens exaggerated things for dramatic effect.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    The real leader of the opposition has also weighed in

Stupid Rashford, making me think that football isn't entirely pointless

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    You guys are missing the big picture. If you take the seeds from those apples, plant them, eventually you have apple trees, and use the seeds from the tomatoes, plus cut off a slice of the potatoes and carrots and put them in a pot of compost. Bam. That is clearly an infinite supply of food there. And if you happen to live with Jesus, that loaf is gonna go far.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Grind the loaf down, mix it with water, and you've got yourself a sourdough starter

Infinite bread!

• Options
    You guys are missing the big picture. If you take the seeds from those apples, plant them, eventually you have apple trees, and use the seeds from the tomatoes, plus cut off a slice of the potatoes and carrots and put them in a pot of compost. Bam. That is clearly an infinite supply of food there. And if you happen to live with Jesus, that loaf is gonna go far.

It takes up to 10 years for apples to start bearing fruit, and they'd be crabapples. How long is lockdown going to last!?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    They should have thought of that ten years ago

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    It's an entirely moot point for me since Labour made themselves politically irrelevant in Scotland, but for what it's worth if I were in England this wouldn't be enough to stop me voting for a Labour candidate. I disagree with it, and it would make me even more resentful of having to vote for them than I already am but this is just the state of UK politics. If Corbyns Labour should teach us one lesson over all it's the importance of not letting perfect be the enemy of the least worst option.

Labour suck. They are not a good or particularly competent political party, but if you're waiting for someone to come along who agrees with you on every single issue of importance and can immediately sweep up 51% of the electorate... you'll be waiting a very long time. Politics is a slow march, immediate seismic change almost never happens and when it does it's more often than not for the worse. You vote for the people who can make things a little bit better, and you keep doing it every time until one day, if you're lucky, your grandkids get to grow up in the world you wish you had.

Starmer is pretty screwed no matter what he does since he seems to need both Brexit and Rejoin voters in order to get the seats needed to form a government, at least as far as I can tell that's the case. I think his current position though leans a bit too far as far as playing towards the Brexit side. The deal is the deal and we'll have to deal with that deal in 2024 seems a bit too passive or defeatist for my tastes. Maybe put in something about working to improve the deal or nibble around the edges? At least talk about getting back into some of the EU programs like Erasmus or something? Throw the Rejoiners a little bit of a bone. Plus there's the dubiousness that for Starmer's position to work, the Brexit types have to take him literally, while the Rejoiners need to assume that he's prevaricating a bit and is really on their side but just can't say it.

I think the idea that people, Rejoiners that is, will take a look at the situation and automatically recognize that Labour is the only option for eventually rejoining the EU and behave and vote accordingly is optimistic at best. I'm not sure what the Greens and Lib-Dems are up to exactly, but they're still around and it's FPTP, so they're a potential vote sink.

Oh I agree. My philosophy of "vote every time for the least worst no matter what" is not shared by the majority of the electorate. This is doubly true of left wing voters who will absolutely let the other side win if they feel their side isn't representing them as much as they'd like. Starmer has slammed the door in the face in the face of the pro Europe crowd and a significant number of them are going to go elsewhere in the next election or more likely not vote at all. Whatever he thinks he's gaining by jumping on the brexit bus after its already driven over the cliff is going to be counter balanced by the people it turns away. But that's been Labours brexit dilemma from day one.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I have to admit that the Tories have been quite impressive with the scale and brazenness of their corruption.

Honestly at this point it's like the rich are actively trying to get eaten

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    In addition to everything that Jack and all the posters in this thread have said about those food kits another thing I want to point out is just the utter lack of forethought in their composition. It would be an incredibly easy thing to make a standard meal kit, like here's ten sandwich components, here's five sets of pasta salad ingredients ect ect. Instead it's just some bread and random essentials with no thought given to how these things could be meaningfully combined to make the most of individual items.

For less than a fiver you could make five servings of tomato pasta with some veg and a side of bread and butter, but they haven't done that. They just picked random shit and chucked it in a box like someone designed an algorithm to pick food that poor people eat. Utterly disgraceful.

Casual on
  • Options
    Shitty

Oh I agree. My philosophy of "vote every time for the least worst no matter what" is not shared by the majority of the electorate. This is doubly true of left wing voters who will absolutely let the other side win if they feel their side isn't representing them as much as they'd like. Starmer has slammed the door in the face in the face of the pro Europe crowd and a significant number of them are going to go elsewhere in the next election or more likely not vote at all. Whatever he thinks he's gaining by jumping on the brexit bus after its already driven over the cliff is going to be counter balanced by the people it turns away. But that's been Labours brexit dilemma from day one.

What I'm interested in are all the younger voters, including those who weren't even old enough to vote in the referendum, and how many of them will be willing to stick around in the hopes of dragging the UK back into the EU sometime in the next decade or so. I'm not sure it will be enough to swing an election, but I think it will be a pretty nasty braindrain. They'll be looking at four years of Brexit recession and Tory austerity before they'll have a chance to do anything about it. A 'do anything' that at this point very specifically does not seem to include getting closer to Europe. That's not great motivation to stick it out.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    In addition to everything that Jack and all the posters in this thread have said about those food kits another thing I want to point out is just the utter lack of forethought in their composition. It would be an incredibly easy thing to make a standard meal kit, like here's ten sandwich components, here's five sets of pasta salad ingredients ect ect. Instead it's just some bread and random essentials with no thought given to how these things could be meaningfully combined to make the most of individual items.

For less than a fiver you could make five servings of tomato pasta with some veg and a side of bread and butter, but they haven't done that. They just picked random shit and chucked it in a box like someone designed an algorithm to pick food that poor people eat. Utterly disgraceful.

Like, what is that bloody pair of carrots there for? And why are the bananas even included if they are in such terrible condition. I’m pretty sure for 30 GBP you could just buy 10 dairylee lunchables, 10 apples and there you go. Not exactly healthy or inspiring but at least it’s 10 days worth of lunch for a child.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Honestly that's the state of most bananas I see right now. Can't possibly imagine why.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    I bought 36 Pot Noodles for thirty quid in December

Filling? Yes
    Cheap? Yes
    Nutritious? Yes, there are nutrients in them

The amount of effort that's gone in to making the boxes an edible insult is incredible

• Options
    Shitty
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Honestly that's the state of most bananas I see right now. Can't possibly imagine why.

You're talking about them having a right proper curve, none of that EU straight banana garbage, right?

• Options
    TBH, they look better than the green ones our Asda is offering at the moment.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Deliverable second hand bananas are never going to look good because bananas don’t store well. Once you add a second supply chain onto the already very tight schedule bananas have they’re really shit. And you have the storage requirements (the whole box is probably assembled then fridged) which break the banana down even faster.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Just make banana bread!

What do you mean you don't have flour, milk, vanilla extract, oil, baking soda, sugar, salt, or a loaf pan?

• Options

What I'm interested in are all the younger voters, including those who weren't even old enough to vote in the referendum, and how many of them will be willing to stick around in the hopes of dragging the UK back into the EU sometime in the next decade or so. I'm not sure it will be enough to swing an election, but I think it will be a pretty nasty braindrain. They'll be looking at four years of Brexit recession and Tory austerity before they'll have a chance to do anything about it. A 'do anything' that at this point very specifically does not seem to include getting closer to Europe. That's not great motivation to stick it out.

History tells us that disenchanted young voters will simply not turn up on voting day.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable
    Grind the loaf down, mix it with water, and you've got yourself a sourdough starter

Infinite bread!

Someone should juxtapose this against the simply incalculable amount of waste that has happened since 'making my own sourdough' became a thing during the lockdown (like, moreso than those dedicated souls who did it prior).

I watched a few of those vids, and it's like "start with 20 pounds of flour. Throw out 19 pounds of it over the course of the next month or two. Congrats, you can now turn that starter into some bread, assuming you didn't mess it up along the way."

I'm sure there are industrial level applications that make sense, but the amount of waste involved in the whole process was a little sickening when scaled down to an individual level.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I felt bad enough using flour to make my own wheat gluten, as it took four cups of flour to make one cup of seitan

• Options
    Just make banana bread!

What do you mean you don't have flour, milk, vanilla extract, oil, baking soda, sugar, salt, or a loaf pan?

If you aren't adding sweet cinnamon to that I don't know what to tell you.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

Infinite bread!

Someone should juxtapose this against the simply incalculable amount of waste that has happened since 'making my own sourdough' became a thing during the lockdown (like, moreso than those dedicated souls who did it prior).

I watched a few of those vids, and it's like "start with 20 pounds of flour. Throw out 19 pounds of it over the course of the next month or two. Congrats, you can now turn that starter into some bread, assuming you didn't mess it up along the way."

I'm sure there are industrial level applications that make sense, but the amount of waste involved in the whole process was a little sickening when scaled down to an individual level.

There's so many good bread recipies, I don't know why everyone got fixated on sourdough. Pan bread tastes great and just needs suet and baking powder.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Just make banana bread!

Cinnamon? In this country the ruling classes don't let the plebs have things like cinnamon.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Just make banana bread!

The spice must flow!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Deliverable second hand bananas are never going to look good because bananas don’t store well. Once you add a second supply chain onto the already very tight schedule bananas have they’re really shit. And you have the storage requirements (the whole box is probably assembled then fridged) which break the banana down even faster.

Bananas are a garbage fruit.

(Except in banana bread form.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
This discussion has been closed.