As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Yesterday, The Troubles Seemed So Far Away

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The absolute worst shower of bastards imaginable

Polling organisation. Good news, possibly as a result of it hitting us so badly, but still. The last one of these I posted had France way down at the bottom, and it still is, but a fair few other European countries are surprisingly disappointing as well. Like, holy shit, Finland, you're almost as bad as the US on this one.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    [hollow screaming intensifies]
    lpkgn8zpd3c6.jpg

Good ol marcus

Solar on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah, France have really screwed up the vaccine stuff. Both the public confidence in it and the roll out.

My partner's parents had decided not to take it until she very calmly shouted at them for about an hour.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Yeah, France have really screwed up the vaccine stuff. Both the public confidence in it and the roll out.

My partner's parents had decided not to take it until she very calmly shouted at them for about an hour.

Mind if I ask what they (didn't) do to bring about this lack of confidence?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Mind if I ask what they (didn't) do to bring about this lack of confidence?

The usual "it's been rushed" and "I don't want to get injected with Coronavirus"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Live virus vaccines are exceedingly rare, if not obsolete. That canard has been a problem for at least the last 40 years.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.escoe.ac.uk/estimating-the-uk-population-during-the-pandemic/

This study is quite something if accurate. Lots of people leavin the UK. London losing about 700k in the last year.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So shitty
    I'd super love to see the venn diagram of people who are against taking the vaccine but also think there was any merit in the original 'herd immunity' plan of letting as many people as possible get the virus.
    I'd like to think that there's no overlap, but I'd be braced for a surprise.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Live virus vaccines are exceedingly rare, if not obsolete. That canard has been a problem for at least the last 40 years.

Because people were discussing France I thought canard in this context was the French for duck and you were using some colloquialism I've never heard before.

In other news today I learned a new word

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

Because people were discussing France I thought canard in this context was the French for duck and you were using some colloquialism I've never heard before.

In other news today I learned a new word

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So shitty
    honovere wrote: »
    https://www.escoe.ac.uk/estimating-the-uk-population-during-the-pandemic/

This study is quite something if accurate. Lots of people leavin the UK. London losing about 700k in the last year.

Hi, yes, sorry, it me.

1.3 million over the last year is...a lot. I think most of them were internal or European too? So Brits fleeing Boris Island, and EU folk getting out while they could?

I've certainly now met a few other Brits in Canada who:
    a) thought Brexit was stupid
    b) cite it as their reason for emigrating
    c) are working the kind of knowledge worker, high paid jobs Priti Patel always claims she wants people to come to Britain for.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Had the first jab of the Oxford vaccine today, finally there's one perk to my job!

Arm is a bit numb but other than that it was fine. Very quick too.

• Options
    George Soros mind control signals coming through 5G alright?

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    So shitty
    Boris has announced all flight corridors are closed, or will close soon.

I still find it stunning that international holidays have been a thing for the last 9 months, but that's just me.

• Options
    So shitty
    Solar wrote: »
    George Soros mind control signals coming through 5G alright?
    I thought it was Bill Gates who was behind the microchips?
    I've been looking forward to telling people I'm just going to update and restart when the conversation was boring me.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I was under the impression the 5G didn't get turned on until the second dose! I did go buy a Zune though....

It was quite straightforward, turned up, was handed a form I had to fill out with my details and signed the disclaimer.

Got the jab and was given a card with the date I had the jab and when the second jab had to be done by. Apparently my GP will contact me to do the second one.

Had it at a care home, the team there had been vaccinating the residents and had a batch left over so they handed them out to Police and NHS staff.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I still find it stunning that international holidays have been a thing for the last 9 months, but that's just me.

I think, once the pandemic has passed and we start shifting through the details of our collective response, the one consistent thread in the narrative will be that we in the UK have been phenomenally slow at taking steps to respond to emerging details of the virus.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

I think, once the pandemic has passed and we start shifting through the details of our collective response, the one consistent thread in the narrative will be that we in the UK have been phenomenally slow at taking steps to respond to emerging details of the virus.

I thought everything that got changed managed to be implemented overnight from the evening announcements by Johnson. Seems pretty quick turnaround to me.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Just to be clear you can get in with a test with only 80% speciftivity, there is no test on arrival and you are basically on an honour system to stay at home/quarantined once you get here as the follow up is a joke.

This is a nothing of an action.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    So shitty
    moniker wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

I thought everything that got changed managed to be implemented overnight from the evening announcements by Johnson. Seems pretty quick turnaround to me.
    The gap between announcement and implementation hasn't been too bad.
    The gap between 'oh hey we really should do something about this right now' and him announcing that they're going to do something has been appalling for the most part, and usually come after assurances that we won't be doing the something, and then that doing the something would be an absolute last resort okay we're doing it.

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55676037

Toby Young's column in the telegraph has been hammered by the regulator and the paper will be required to print a correction

Happy days

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55676037

Toby Young's column in the telegraph has been hammered by the regulator and the paper will be required to print a correction

Happy days

On page 16. In small print. In as nondescript a column as possible.
    Letting the rags print whatever nonsense they like and get away without any consequences has done immesurable damage to this country. What ever happened to Leveson part 2 anyway?

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Espescially after, "Lets gather all the least cautious people in the EU all together in Spain at the same time for a massive party and then have them all go home" over the summer turned into such a massive disaster for the entire continent.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So last night the takes on who should be the next Scottish Labour leader were flying thick and fast, and one of them was that it should be Gordon Brown

Which I assumed was some kind of joke but is apparently being taken seriously by the Labour establishment down south, with a few left think tank types and Andrew Adonis pushing it as a good idea

The weird thing about this is that there's an undercurrent of "if the Nats hate them then they must be a good candidate" and "why would we listen to SNP supporters about who should lead Labour?" which appears to entirely fail to consider that these are the people Labour has to win over if they want to cease being an irrelevancy

They don't have to become SNP-lite but at the very least it seems like it would be sensible to not choose a leader that the largest voting bloc is actively repelled by because of the baggage of 2014 and "the vow"

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    If we wanted a Leader who has already tried and failed on the national stage we might as well get Corbyn, at least he comes with his own cult.

• Options
    So shitty
    Statues to get protection from 'baying mobs'
    Oh, do fuck off.
    The government is planning new laws to protect statues in England from being removed "on a whim or at the behest of a baying mob", Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick has said.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, he said generations-old monuments should be "considered thoughtfully".

The legislation would require planning permission for any changes and a minister would be given the final veto.

It will be revealed in Parliament on Monday.

The plans follow the toppling of a statue of slave trader Edward Colston last year and a wider discussion on the removal of controversial monuments.

Mr Jenrick said any decision to remove heritage assets in England would require planning permission and a consultation with local communities, adding that he wanted to see a "considered approach".
    In this specific example, people had been talking about removing the bloody statue and renaming the Colston buildings for over a decade with overwhelming public support for doing so, but a 'considered approach' resulted in endless deferring the issue in the hopes that everyone talking about it would just die of old age.

I can't help but wonder if there might more some more important things to focus on. Like anything else.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Statues to get protection from 'baying mobs'
    Oh, do fuck off.
    The government is planning new laws to protect statues in England from being removed "on a whim or at the behest of a baying mob", Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick has said.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, he said generations-old monuments should be "considered thoughtfully".

The legislation would require planning permission for any changes and a minister would be given the final veto.

It will be revealed in Parliament on Monday.

The plans follow the toppling of a statue of slave trader Edward Colston last year and a wider discussion on the removal of controversial monuments.

Mr Jenrick said any decision to remove heritage assets in England would require planning permission and a consultation with local communities, adding that he wanted to see a "considered approach".
    In this specific example, people had been talking about removing the bloody statue and renaming the Colston buildings for over a decade with overwhelming public support for doing so, but a 'considered approach' resulted in endless deferring the issue in the hopes that everyone talking about it would just die of old age.

I can't help but wonder if there might more some more important things to focus on. Like anything else.

I'm pretty sure there are already laws against randomly tearing down statues anyway, it seems like once things get to the "baying mobs" point people aren't going to pay attention to a bit of paper saying not to tear the statue down.

Pointless noise by a pointless government desperately trying to focus people on culture war bullshit instead of real problems.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    It's the ministerial veto that is the giveaway. It's a symptom of the UK establishment's instinct towards hyper-centralisation

You see this a lot in planning law, where:
    - people in a local authority area agree building is needed (of whatever, but surprisingly commonly homes)
    - there has been consultation and consensus achieved locally on where this should take place
    - a developer has prepared a planning submission which has complied with the relevant requirements and addressed all objections
    - which is then vetoed by a minister for reasons unrelated to any of the preceding steps

It also kind of reverses the classic UK planning system problem that it's relatively easy to pull things down, but far more difficult to put something back up, even if it's similar construction for a similar purpose, on the same site

Here we have a situation where it becomes possible to put something up, possibly outside the planning process, which immediately acquires a protected status that makes it difficult to remove

japan on
  • Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    My recollection from this at the time was that the campaigners were wanting to put a plaque stating that he was a slave trader and that was it, they didn't even want it removed. The council were a bunch of obsternent fucks so when the riot/protest happened, it went into the drink in frustration. I think chucking it into the river was wrong but I understand the frustration, there was some talk of it going into a museum which would be a good outcome. I do also agree that we shouldn't erase history - we should tell it, warts and all. The problem was entirely with the local council IMO, if they had acted, this think this entire thing would not have happened.

Does the new law have provision for the obsternence of local councils being dicks ? Of course we know that this is a law solving the wrong problem because Tories will Tory.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Yes, littering rivers is wrong, destroying statues of slavers is not, the statue should have been broken to pieces and recycled for something useful.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    For what it's worth the plan is to exhibit the Colston statue again, in context

https://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/news/2020/06/12062020-bristol-museums-colston-statue-display/#

japan on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Dunking Colston in Bristol harbour was poetic and symbolic and beautiful and the best possible way it could have ended.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Polaris wrote: »
    My recollection from this at the time was that the campaigners were wanting to put a plaque stating that he was a slave trader and that was it, they didn't even want it removed. The council were a bunch of obsternent fucks so when the riot/protest happened, it went into the drink in frustration. I think chucking it into the river was wrong but I understand the frustration, there was some talk of it going into a museum which would be a good outcome. I do also agree that we shouldn't erase history - we should tell it, warts and all. The problem was entirely with the local council IMO, if they had acted, this think this entire thing would not have happened.

Does the new law have provision for the obsternence of local councils being dicks ? Of course we know that this is a law solving the wrong problem because Tories will Tory.

Statues aren't documenting history, they're demonstrations of who society thinks merits honoring.

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Polaris wrote: »

Statues aren't documenting history, they're demonstrations of who society thinks merits honoring.

That's true when they're erected. But statues themselves are historical objects, demonstrating the values and ideas of the time they were made, as well as being artworks in and of themselves. That makes them worth preserving as much as anything. I'm not sure I'm happy with destroying art and historical objects just because they make us uncomfortable. History, good and bad, ought to be preserved.

Moving statues that no longer fit 'this person should be honoured' to a museum is probably the best compromise.

• Options
    It was illegal the first time around

It was just that the local police wisely decided not to intervene. And also it was awesome.

• Options
    Statues are also public demonstrations of what a society finds valuable or worth commemorating, and if that changes, so should the statues, or the street names.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Statues are also public demonstrations of what a society finds valuable or worth commemorating, and if that changes, so should the statues, or the street names.

Penny Lane has complications.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    So shitty
    Bogart wrote: »

Also, the UK has so much history, you couldn’t preserve all of it without having a whole separate island. We turn up Roman burials every time someone digs a gas main. That bypass for Stonehenge is going to destroy vital context for the Neolithic period. But if we didn’t accept the destruction and transmutation of a somewhat nebulous “the past”, we’ll never get anything done.

Which is to say, stuff changes. Statues get thrown in rivers. Crossrail gets dug. That’s history for you. Always in motion, is the future. The same is true of the past - Jenrick seems to want a definitive version packaged up in aspic, and that’s just not how it works.

Anyway, seeing as this was illegal under existing law, it’s mere performative toss anyway.

• Options
    It’s just culture war bullshit to keep the rightwing sense of victimisation nice and sharp.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Today in "BBC gonna BBC":

wum8x6d18oqd.png

That headline sure is a take.

This discussion has been closed.