As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kata Zero [chat]

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    If we are including remakes which CoDBlOPsGhost game should we give the award to? CoDmWopBlom2?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Destiny 2 Beyond Light is very good, although Destiny players hate it because of the sunsetting stuff but imo that stuff was good because there were too many guns.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    like when i took over my current duties my boss told me not to worry about trying to look over everything every day because that would be unreasonable to expect

and i look over everything every day in about an hour and a half

Don't ruin it for everyone! If everyone is slacking off most of the time but we still all get paid who cares?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If Cyberpunk releases in 2020, it should be considered for 2020 GOTY. Hold the awards show in January.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    like when i took over my current duties my boss told me not to worry about trying to look over everything every day because that would be unreasonable to expect

in my only ever office job I digitized more files in a week than the last person digitized in an entire summer
    i was rewarded by being given finger breaking manual labor stuffing promotional bags
    ):<

I despise the corporate habit of rewarding hard work with more work.

And frequently worse work

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

in my only ever office job I digitized more files in a week than the last person digitized in an entire summer
    i was rewarded by being given finger breaking manual labor stuffing promotional bags

I despise the corporate habit of rewarding hard work with more work.

This was the military in my experience.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

yeah i've definitely learned in my life not to let them know just how much i can do because working hard just gets you stuck with more bullshit no one else wants to do

which i think implies something wrong with the way we do things

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I agree with this tweet.

Half Life Alyx was awesome and it's disappointing more people didn't get to play it

but that also shouldn't exempt it from GOTY, because it's WAY better than multiple games on that list.

Also Hades is good but I liked FF7 Remake better. But this is maybe partially due to Hades kicking my ass a lot harder.

It looked like a game I would really, really like to play that was gated behind over 1000 dollars of specialized hardware that doesn't have much else like it on there.

I think Valve was betting on Alyx kicking off mainstream VR, and I don't really see a bunch of evidence supporting it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Don't ruin it for everyone! If everyone is slacking off most of the time but we still all get paid who cares?

i'd rather have fewer of my hours tied up pretending i need to have those hours tied up so we can maintain this stupid polite fiction of the needed 40 hour week

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    alyx only came out this year? Holy shit

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    RTX at 4K just seems impossible to get good performance even with top hardware

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I've got a copy of Alyx and I need to play it and record myself soon

I'm gonna scream like a tiny baby

But it's such a commitment of time and energy...

• Options
    i mean i love my job currently but if i end up having to go back to the office five days a week for nine hours a day it will be intolerable

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If you have enough money to afford to play Alyx you deserve to be unhappy about awards

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Unless whatever amd is working on changes things significantly (it might who knows) ray tracing will be the thing that locks the new consoles at 30fps with dynamic resolution scaling.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

i'd rather have fewer of my hours tied up pretending i need to have those hours tied up so we can maintain this stupid polite fiction of the needed 40 hour week

If I were better at time management I could easily do this but the only way I can effectively manage my time is to agree to run every meeting I can so I end up just filling my calendar and then just slack between meetings. I should find a way to schedule everything in three days a week and then like ski the other two days.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Best played standing up with room is my understanding.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

I agree with this tweet.

Half Life Alyx was awesome and it's disappointing more people didn't get to play it

but that also shouldn't exempt it from GOTY, because it's WAY better than multiple games on that list.

Also Hades is good but I liked FF7 Remake better. But this is maybe partially due to Hades kicking my ass a lot harder.

It looked like a game I would really, really like to play that was gated behind over 1000 dollars of specialized hardware that doesn't have much else like it on there.

I think Valve was betting on Alyx kicking off mainstream VR, and I don't really see a bunch of evidence supporting it.

I mean, you can get into VR for a lot less than 1000 dollars.

Unless you're including the cost of a gaming PC with it for some reason, which always seemed a little silly to me.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    @Eddy

If you haven't read this one yet, this one is a better late night feeling anxious sort of SCP

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-3352

Okay this is really good

I skimmed and then decided I needed to read the whole thing right now

Maybe I need to read more SCP

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Best played standing up with room is my understanding.

I play all VR standing up, for sure, aside from games like Squadrons that don't have motion control

It's a little tricky in a one bedroom apartment but I can set something up

I definitely punched a bottle of gin across the room while playing a medieval combat game

• Options

Unless whatever amd is working on changes things significantly (it might who knows) ray tracing will be the thing that locks the new consoles at 30fps with dynamic resolution scaling.

Does it sound like AMD has some type of competition for DLSS?

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    quit my job today

feels p good everyone should try

ps. is anyone hiring

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I agree with this tweet.

Unless you're including the cost of a gaming PC with it for some reason, which always seemed a little silly to me.
    a gaming pc good enough to do VR? yeah

• Options
    my greatest skill is probably my ability to just knuckle down and get my work done first so it's out of the way and i never have to rush to finish things

but it also reveals just how much of my work day is unnecessary

i don't really mind having to be available 40 hours a week, just it's entirely unnecessary to be confined to a desk all of those hours most weeks

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    names matter Abdhy! We don't call Norway "Lesser Finland"...

You mean West Sweden.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    i think my goty is league of legends season 10. close second is destiny 2 beyond light

Loathsome troll detected!

excuse me!

i saw ff7 on someone’s list but you take issue with mine

good day sir

i said good day

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    my greatest skill is probably my ability to just knuckle down and get my work done first so it's out of the way and i never have to rush to finish things

i don't really mind having to be available 40 hours a week, just it's entirely unnecessary to be confined to a desk all of those hours most weeks

have you considered doing nothing until there's definitely just about not enough time to get your shit done then rushing through and just about getting things done while your heart beats out of your chest and swearing never to do this again until tomorrow

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I assume everyone in Norway just sits around reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and wishing they were Swedes.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Six wrote: »
    I assume everyone in Norway just sits around reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and wishing they were Swedes.

It’s true I’ve seen it

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Games I bought in 2020:
    Sayonara Wild Hearts
    Pathfinder:Kingmaker
    One Step From Eden
    XCOM:Chimera Squad
    persona 4 golden
    Hades
    ONI
    Control (haven’t played it yet)
    Disco Elysium

In addition, I played LoL, Rimworld, DS3, and some 4x games

Hades is hands down goty for me.

I also very much am enjoying Disco Elysium, and DS3 (when I play it, which is not recently but it is a great game), and League (always)

Second tier: Chimera squad was cute and One Step From Eden and Sayonara Wild Hearts were nice focused experiences.

?? Tier: Pathfinder is fine but I don’t know, it is lacking some flair that would make it really special to me. I stopped playing about 5/6 of the way through and not sure if I will resume.

Transphobia tier: probably best not to play P4G lol, depending on how much tolerance you have for that sort of thing

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    @Eddy

If you haven't read this one yet, this one is a better late night feeling anxious sort of SCP

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-3352

Okay this is really good

I skimmed and then decided I needed to read the whole thing right now

Maybe I need to read more SCP

That one is fairly odd as far as SCP's go, but there's some good ones!

Also a fair amount of absolute drek, of course.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Destiny 2 Beyond Light is very good, although Destiny players hate it because of the sunsetting stuff but imo that stuff was good because there were too many guns.

I might hop back in and check it out. I'm sure the end game stuff will continue to be way too much of a time suck but I do like to shoot the guns.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    815165 wrote: »

have you considered doing nothing until there's definitely just about not enough time to get your shit done then rushing through and just about getting things done while your heart beats out of your chest and swearing never to do this again until tomorrow

the problem is I'm divorced from any products of my labor and I sit alone in a cube, now an 80ft2 home office

I went to law school and they hired a 100k salary data entry machine and i scream internally

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »

I agree with this tweet.

a gaming pc good enough to do VR? yeah

A 1060 can do VR super well! A 970 can do VR with some of the graphics turned down. A gaming PC that can do VR is not a super crazy thing. I did HL Alyx on a 1060 and an i7-4770 from like 7 years ago

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

the problem is I'm divorced from any products of my labor and I sit alone in a cube, now an 80ft2 home office

I find that I am very fast about doing work if other people depend on it. Like if someone says I need this dataset as an input into my visualization, I will do the data engineering to make that happen as fast as possible and run my code in the evening for same day turnaround, etc.
    If there isn’t a clear purpose or if there’s just a vague deadline, I just don’t do much of anything.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

Sounds like "Deadline slipped due to lack of resources"

• Options

Make sure you @ me with the video of you meeting Jeff. All time great gaming moments in there.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    i really don't know how other people live

even when i slack off big time i apparently work harder and better than other people

am i a fool

There's a great Andre 3000 verse about how he worries about how he is working too hard not stealing rap lines

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Its a pity Facebook is ruining the Oculus with their garbage.

• Options
    having work to do and not doing it makes me physically uncomfortable

like i am slacking a bit today because i've been going at it pretty hard the last few days and i'm actually not enjoying it haha

we have a big end of year push going on and i've already saved the company as much money as shutting down entire other branches would and i'm still like

i can do more i haven't finished my task yet

This discussion has been closed.