Options

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    yeah but what if they open private servers for duelyst
    I quit duelyst years before I quit hearthstone! In a lot of ways the game design was even further from what I wanted out of a card game than HS was; I had that debate a bunch with WingedWeasel because they did prefer the super-bomby philosophy the devs ran with. The lasting fondness I have for it is mostly down to how astoundingly good they were with that pixel art style.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The hardest part of leaving Hotel California Hearthstone is letting go of the "investment" trap player's put themselves into when it comes to their card collection. You have to put in lots of time or money in order to collect all these cards, so giving it all up feels more painful. It certainly was the hardest part for me.

But I'm glad I did make a clean break and put Hearthstone behind me. It had it's times of fun, but ultimately became more of a chore in order to not spend money. And you had to stay on the grind hard or fall behind on collecting what you needed to make most decks. That's part of the reason why LoR literally giving away all the cards for free was so appealing to me, and why I know that I won't be near as troubled to let it go.

LoR does everything right except provide a fun and interesting game.

That it's boring as hell is a pretty big flaw for me though.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    yeah but what if they open private servers for duelyst

Then I’d be lost.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The hardest part of leaving Hotel California Hearthstone is letting go of the "investment" trap player's put themselves into when it comes to their card collection. You have to put in lots of time or money in order to collect all these cards, so giving it all up feels more painful. It certainly was the hardest part for me.

But I'm glad I did make a clean break and put Hearthstone behind me. It had it's times of fun, but ultimately became more of a chore in order to not spend money. And you had to stay on the grind hard or fall behind on collecting what you needed to make most decks. That's part of the reason why LoR literally giving away all the cards for free was so appealing to me, and why I know that I won't be near as troubled to let it go.

I find the spell interactions and combat decisions to be way more fun and engaging. And each expansion has added a lot of new mechanics and interesting deck building choices. It's never perfect, but solid fun so far. But hey, to each their own. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    yeah imma be real chief I have no idea how someone playing hearthstone can look at LoR and call it boring. other epithets, sure, but it has way more going on at any moment than HS does and the changes it makes to the turn mechanic (best innovation I've seen in a CCG probably ever) is super interesting

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Credit where it's due, Runeterra's priority system is from Artifact (god rest its soul).

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    (pushes glasses up nose) it long predates digital card games actually

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Credit where it's due, Runeterra's priority system is from Artifact (god rest its soul).

yeah but runeterra found a way to make it playable, which is just as good as inventing it

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I find the spell interactions and combat decisions to be way more fun and engaging. And each expansion has added a lot of new mechanics and interesting deck building choices. It's never perfect, but solid fun so far. But hey, to each their own. :)

Cool. Now if you'd kindly save the shitting on Hearthstone for the LoR threads, that'd be great.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    Guy Tickatusses his own Y'Shaar and quits out of shame.

Things you don't expect so close to dad legend.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options

Cool. Now if you'd kindly save the shitting on Hearthstone for the LoR threads, that'd be great.

Fair enough. Sorry if I came off to heavy handed on HS. If people enjoy the game, they should 100% play it. Hell, I still watch the YT uploads from Kibler and Trump (loving his new F2P series).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

the hard part of leaving hearthstone for me was coming to terms with the fact that all cards game are in fact bad, and that I needed to forcibly extricate myself from the genre entirely

that's why i only play a third rate auto battler like Battlegrounds now

no commitment, it's fucking entirely free and self sustaining with the rewards track, can complete quests in there now, and i don't give a *fuck* about my MMR literally i will pick bad heroes for fun and challenge

it's very casual and that suits me perfectly

but card games in general? yeh I'm out. I tried Runeterra out and it was really good, legit, but I realized I was no longer interested in games like those anymore

I did have a REALLY hard time letting go though, as @MNC Dover mentioned. The commitment to my collection tied me down. All the time, energy, effort, and money I sank in.

But the choice became very clear once a new expac released and the meta was slanted towards like 1/2 classes, the new cards were legit *not good enough*, decks were mostly the same, the meta was mostly the same, and I realized right then and there "I don't enjoy this anymore."

Letting go was hard. I'm glad I did, though.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    cLrKFDZ.png

my fucking god that was painful

i faced exclusively spell mage and libram secret paladin on my climb from diamond 5, NO other class was seen whatsoever, what a fucking trash hell meta

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Un'Goro was the best meta we ever had and no I'm not just saying that because it's the meta I hit legend with a homebrew during, don't @ me.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jokes aside I actually do believe that. The entire reason I wanted to push legend with a homebrew was because of how fun and diverse Un'Goro was.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Beasteh wrote: »
    cLrKFDZ.png

my fucking god that was painful

i faced exclusively spell mage and libram secret paladin on my climb from diamond 5, NO other class was seen whatsoever, what a fucking trash hell meta

I've been able to hover at about 3000 Legend in NA mostly with a Rush Warrior deck, and while I see Paladin and Mage, I also see a ton of Warlock and Rogue, and a few Priests. I made Legend this season with Priest, and both my Priest and Warrior decks this month are homebrews. I've also had some success today with the Spell Shaman deck Kibler was playing last night; I literally just finished bullying a Mage with that deck.

Right now, I feel like this meta is in a weird place.

Paladin and Mage are obviously powerful, and they punish bad/slow decks. However, I feel like there's mostly just been more people than normal jumping on the "stats say this is the best deck, so I'm playing it" train this time around. The two best decks were identified immediately, people crafted them, and now that's what they're playing. Basically, I think that this meta is getting warped by timing around sentiment to an unusual extent. Neither Mage nor Paladin feels particularly oppressive to me, not in the way that Frozen Throne Jade Druid or Day One Demon Hunter felt. That isn't to say that I think that they're fine and don't need any nerfs, but I think that the meta is a lot closer to being healthy than it initially appears.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I mean, low legend is exactly the place where people can feel free to play whatever, though. Most people there have hit their goal for the month and aren't concerned with playing the most effective decks.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Classic has been a really good excuse to return to maybe my favorite era, at least with respect to deckbuilding - launch Hearthstone - and rebuild those first decks that I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours piloting and tweaking every single day. When I get tired of that or need a break, I either play Battlegrounds (no commitment, fun interactions, good amount of RNG to keep it fresh) or C'Thun Druid in Wild. Lot of variety right now, even if I'm not playing too too much. I really miss laddering, but I'm also not super interested in it lately.

I don't know what I want out of Hearthstone right now. I've certainly fallen out of the meta and haven't been watching streams or YouTube VODs like I used to. And I hate the new progression system. But I guess I'm just keeping one foot in, because I always have to.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the Golem in the Rokara adventure has a SimCity 2000 reference.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »
    Jokes aside I actually do believe that. The entire reason I wanted to push legend with a homebrew was because of how fun and diverse Un'Goro was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYjhHuY-kHY

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I was watching a bunch of the grandmaster matches

Spell mage may be total bullshit to ladder against but it makes for pretty exciting (if nonseniscal) high level play. Waiting to see if the opponent can get down enough pressure by the time that the mage draws deck of lunacy, and then seeing if the mage can do enough broken bullshit to claw back can be a real nail biter.

Also saw a bunch of really interesting uses of 1 mana kazakus golems.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    I think Spell Mage is probably largely an okay deck, it's just Deck of Lunacy high rolls when they rip it on 2 that are a problem on ladder. The rest of the deck is essentially Freeze Mage.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Mythgard is a new CCG that people might be interested in. It's got a couple new gimmicks like positioning minions across like 10 lanes and a lot of stuff revolves around moving or trapping them. Different unique 2nd player bonuses for each faction. An additional gate to mana in the form of also gaining color charges for burning cards and each card has a minimum color requirement to play, so you have to strategize which colors you're climbing in every turn in addition to mana climbing.

Plus it's got a very decent campaign tutorial that introduces all the mechanics. Worth checking out at least.

• Options
    I don't feel we need constant commercials for other card games in here. The very name of the thread is bad enough as it is.

Can we stop that?

See my profile here!
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    I don't feel we need constant commercials for other card games in here. The very name of the thread is bad enough as it is.

Can we stop that?

I have often found games I've been really interested in from people posting about them in threads for other, but similar, games. So I like learning about other games, personally, because it never really seems like it detracts from the actual thread. Just my personal opinion though, and I don't contribute much here anyways, so it's not super important :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    just faced a few priest decks in a row that try to stymie the 10 card control deficit vs control warlock by playing educated elekk and resurrecting it a bunch, that's pretty smart

of course jaraxxus kicks priests teeth in by itself so not entirely sure why they are even trying to tech for a matchup that's still 0% favored

Beasteh on
  • Options

Can we stop that?

I don't see anything wrong with the thread title. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Even the dailies are pressuring me to try the unfairly OP mage and paladin decks.

8lps2736cqyi.jpg

• Options
    I guess the "details coming soon" about the nerf patch was actually a Blizzard soon™ and we'll find out what is getting nerfed right before it happens.

• Options
    Climbed up to D5 in Wild, decent mix of stuff.

Most popular deck was Darkglare Warlock, and the 2nd-3rd most popular decks were the new 'Tax' Paladin and updated Fireworks Mage. Also saw a smattering of Big/Reno Priests, Odd Paladin, and Murloc Shaman with the new murloc stuff.

I played Tax Paladin which is a pretty solid aggro deck, but it has virtually no interaction or burn so if you lose board control you're pretty done for. You're very reliant on the Far Watch Post, Nerubian taxes, and secrets to delay enemy interaction and keep your board up. It definitely has room for further refinement though. Lists are kind of all over the place but Sunkeeper Tarim and Conviction should probably be in the final list as additional ways to push damage and deal with big stuff.

New Fireworks Mage has some crazy swing turns. I had a game where their turn 6 from an empty board involved developing 3 minions, clearing my full board through Oh My Yogg and Never Surrender, dealing 16 damage to my face, and drawing 17 cards. When they don't hit Incanter's Flow early on they usually just die to giant Crabriders though, so it all evens out.

Murloc Shaman is probably good, just off the interaction between Firemancer Flurgl and Toxfin. I don't know how much room there is for a 'fair' midrange deck though.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    2 games into Libram Secret Paladin and I haven't drawn a Sword of the Fallen yet.

Also, fuckin' hell, barely missed getting the 5 ladder win games weekly quest done thanks to a spell mage game that took for fuckin' ever.

forty on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I played Tax Paladin which is a pretty solid aggro deck, but it has virtually no interaction or burn so if you lose board control you're pretty done for. You're very reliant on the Far Watch Post, Nerubian taxes, and secrets to delay enemy interaction and keep your board up. It definitely has room for further refinement though. Lists are kind of all over the place but Sunkeeper Tarim and Conviction should probably be in the final list as additional ways to push damage and deal with big stuff.

Firm agreement on Tarim. Would not try the deck without him.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Mages got you down? Make 'm pay!

### IRS
    # Class: Hunter
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Gryphon
    #
    # 2x (1) Sunscale Raptor
    # 2x (1) Tracking
    # 2x (2) Cult Neophyte
    # 2x (2) Far Watch Post
    # 1x (2) Kolkar Pack Runner
    # 2x (2) Quick Shot
    # 2x (2) Tame Beast (Rank 1)
    # 2x (3) Bearshark
    # 1x (3) Hog Rancher
    # 1x (3) Horde Operative
    # 1x (3) King Mukla
    # 2x (3) Mor'shan Watch Post
    # 2x (3) Robes of Protection
    # 2x (3) Voracious Reader
    # 2x (4) Crossroads Watch Post
    # 1x (4) Rinling's Rifle
    # 2x (5) Ogremancer
    # 1x (7) Kargal Battlescar
    #
    AAECAa/XAwaP4wOR6AP66AOf7APu8QOYoAQMxtED0dEDjtQDi9UD9+gD+OgD+egD2+oDmuwDqZ8Eu6AEvqAEAA==
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Climbed up to D5 in Wild, decent mix of stuff.

Most popular deck was Darkglare Warlock, and the 2nd-3rd most popular decks were the new 'Tax' Paladin and updated Fireworks Mage. Also saw a smattering of Big/Reno Priests, Odd Paladin, and Murloc Shaman with the new murloc stuff.

New Fireworks Mage has some crazy swing turns. I had a game where their turn 6 from an empty board involved developing 3 minions, clearing my full board through Oh My Yogg and Never Surrender, dealing 16 damage to my face, and drawing 17 cards. When they don't hit Incanter's Flow early on they usually just die to giant Crabriders though, so it all evens out.

Murloc Shaman is probably good, just off the interaction between Firemancer Flurgl and Toxfin. I don't know how much room there is for a 'fair' midrange deck though.

I played Fireworks Mage to Diamond 2 and Tax Paladin from Diamond 2 to Legend.

I feel like Fireworks Mage is a strong deck that’s not overpowered in the current context of Wild. Yes, I’ve had crazy games where I’ve literally drawn my entire deck on T5 and punched through a curved Warlock board that ended up including a Void Lord. But it doesn’t like getting punched in the face by Aggro (hi there Pirate Warrior, Murloc Shaman, Zoo Warlock), secrets can throw all sorts of wrenches into the game plan (howdy, Secret Mage and Even Hunter), Loatheb and other mana taxes hurt it a lot (hello Darkglare Warock and Tax Paladin), and like any combo deck it can just flat out whiff. Like it did for my opponent, and almost did for me, in this game:

YQtxkI6.jpg

It’s not fun to be on the receiving end of a go-turn, but I think that for the moment Fireworks Mage is fundamentally fine as is, and obviously if Refreshing Spring Water is nerfed that’ll hurt it a fair amount. Meanwhile, I’m not even sure how to properly evaluate Tax Paladin, and I say this as someone who went 11-4 with it to get Legend. I used this list, which likely is not at all optimal, but it’s what autocomplete gave me:

1x (1) Blessing of Wisdom
    1x (1) Conviction (Rank 1)
    2x (1) Crystology
    1x (1) Never Surrender!
    2x (1) Oh My Yogg!
    2x (1) Redemption
    2x (1) Righteous Protector
    2x (2) Crabrider
    2x (2) Far Watch Post
    2x (2) Hand of A'dal
    2x (2) Nerub'ar Weblord
    2x (2) Shielded Minibot
    2x (2) Sword of the Fallen
    1x (3) Divine Favor
    2x (3) Seal of Champions
    2x (4) Blessing of Kings
    2x (4) Call to Arms

Code: AAEBAYsWBKcF3QqOmgPj6wMNjAGIDuoPnRX40gLZ/gLKwQOD3gOR5AP36APO6wOanwTJoAQA

It felt like it started slow, had very little depth, and won anyways because people just noped out and didn’t want to play against it. Well, that’s how I won with it. People playing against me earlier in the month won with it by dropping a Crabrider I couldn’t kill and repeatedly punching me in the face with it. Ideally, the deck obviously wants to have a Crabrider get huge and punch face a lot, but any deck that got on board faster and could control board or could just wipe the board was in a fine position against it. My final boss was a Zoo Warlock, and they initially took board. A Call to Arms and buffing a Crabrider took it back, but when that dust settled I had two cards in hand, a 6/3 Crabrider out, 15 health, and while the Warlock had nothing on board they had six cards in hand and 30 health. I actually said out loud “well, that was a Pyrrhic victory” and looked away, just before the Warlock noped out.

This was a very confusing Wild Legend climb. I think that I’ll just play Murloc Shaman and Even Hunter for the rest of the month and grind out those wins.

Shadowhope on
  • Options

Can we stop that?

I don't see anything wrong with the thread title. :D

noooo my legacy!!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    It felt like it started slow, had very little depth, and won anyways because people just noped out and didn’t want to play against it.

Honestly I think that describes every Paladin deck we've had except maybe Exodia. Like Odd has been a powerhouse for years but no one plays it because it's pretty boring in comparison to other options.

• Options
    It felt like it started slow, had very little depth, and won anyways because people just noped out and didn’t want to play against it.

Honestly I think that describes every Paladin deck we've had except maybe Exodia. Like Odd has been a powerhouse for years but no one plays it because it's pretty boring in comparison to other options.

I dunno. Murloc Paladin is usually explosive when it works, and Odd Paladin can do things with Tour Guide, Lost in the Jungle, Righteous Cause, and even Pirates with Patches that can feel pretty fast.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Nerfs announced

Lunacy to 4 mana (this won't affect mage causing insane blowouts, spell mage won't give a shit about this)

Penflinger only targets minions (this is huge)

Sword of the Fallen is now a 1/2

Jandice to 6 mana

The 2 and 3 mana watch posts got a health knocked off them

Bunch of bgs minions stats got shuffled around

This pretty much murders Libram paladin and all flavors of rogue, I am uneasy at the light slap on the wrist deck of lunacy received since it fails to address the issue of it turning games into one sided casinostone

I would have preferred to see refreshing spring water touched as well since that's a huge problem card for me (it does what it does in spell mage way too easily)

Beasteh on
  • Options
    I'm actually really surprised Refreshing Spring Water didn't get touched.

• Options
    Feels like rogue kind of got shit on and I really don't feel like it's justified