As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Tiny Lands, Redout Space Assault, Rain City & Home Behind 2 out today!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That reminds me I need to print off a map for RDR2 so I can mark places I've explored thoroughly, cos I'm determined to find all the collectables on this playthrough.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

This is the sci-fi organ trading sim that I didn't know I needed.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I'm firmly convinced that in this, the year of our Lord two thousand and twentyone, any game with collectables needs to in some way, in game, indicate not just how many of them you have but which ones, so you don't have to do that.

Case in point: Lil Cactus in Trials of Mana. The progress tracker shows how many you have, but if you missed any and want to go back and find them, the only way to know if you found all the one(s) in a particular zone are to actually go there and load in, then look at the map (if you have enough that it tracks them. ) They're generally numbered on external websites that show locations, but nowhere in game so you have to operate by memory or checklist.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I will say I am disappointed in the amount of farm work my spouse puts in I need labour goddamnit

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »

This is the sci-fi organ trading sim that I didn't know I needed.

oh finally i have been waiting to trade these organs that have been collecting dust and dripping juices in my basement

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, gonna add them all to my watchlist so I'll be able to see if any go on sale.

East shade looks very promising so that might be my first port of call.

I really wish The Forest just had a sandbox mode without all the crazy cannibals trying to kill you. The crafting looks good and the island looks like it would be fun to explore.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Eastshade does have a mechanic where at the very beginning it gets cold at night so you need to find shelter and rest til morning. This is slightly annoying, but you also get a way to mitigate it pretty quickly so don't let that discourage you.

• Options
    I think the Forest actually does have a chill no cannibals mode

Very satisfying lumberjacking in that game really feel like you're chopping the shit out of a tree

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I think the Forest actually does have a chill no cannibals mode

Very satisfying lumberjacking in that game really feel like you're chopping the shit out of a tree

Oh you're right, it does have a peaceful mode! Hmm interesting.

• Options
    I'm too stupid for Timelie. Area 4 has defeated me.

It's a neat idea though.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Massive was on the Just Dance beat for a bit before The Division, so can’t rule out the possibility of the first Star Wars dance title. And it has to be open world, because you need to travel the galaxy to challenge other crews.

How can you forget that this is a thing that happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A&ab_channel=CVG

The best thing to come from that game was that Han Solo song being plastered over the Solo trailer and making it 100% better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM_WvP4bVKs

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a simple, calming game I can play to de-stress?

I don't get a lot of time to play games but I'm mainly focussing on Warhammer Total war 2 but the sometimes makes me even more angry/stressed.

I really could do with some light and simple that I can play for an hour.

Any genre really, maybe some sort of first person exploration type game?

Edit - just saw Brolo's post above mine, will definitely look at that!

Two suggestions, both are crafting games with light survival.

Astroneer - A cute survival crafting game with a neat terrain deforming mechanic. This game is uberchill; the only hazards are suffocation (which can be mitigated through the use of oxygen tethers), fall damage and some hostile plants that will lob grenades or acidic gas, but are totally immobile and avoidable. The game itself is of the find materials to make devices to process higher tier mateirals to make higher teir devices etc. etc. Eventually you'll go off world and explore a solar system filled with five worlds and two moons and there's a pretty good progression of devices to aid you in this endeavor. Did I mention this game is super chill?

Satisfactory - Another entry in the survival crafting genre. There's a few environmental hazards (gas damaging eras) and some light combat, but it's also pretty chill. The name of this game is automation. Building autominers that feed resources into devices that make parts that are fed into devices that make more complicated parts and eventually you're building massive factories output hundreds or even thousands of items a minute. Tweaking you setup to get maximum efficiency is an delectable timesink and there's a very definite sense of progression as you send resources up into space and get new teirs of buildings, items and production capabilities added to your repitor.

Between these two games I've probably put in close to 500 hours. They are fantastic games to chill out to while you're listening to a podcast or something.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    http://www.axiomverge.com/blog/announcing-axiom-verges-first-ever-free-content-update-in-open-beta-now

Axiom Verge is getting it's first major update, 6 years later: an official Randomizer mode. Also, they're looking into adding Twitch integration through the Crowd Control extension system, letting viewers pay to fuck up and/or help the streamer.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, gonna add them all to my watchlist so I'll be able to see if any go on sale.

East shade looks very promising so that might be my first port of call.

I really wish The Forest just had a sandbox mode without all the crazy cannibals trying to kill you. The crafting looks good and the island looks like it would be fun to explore.

SharpyVII, I'm a little lttp, but one more for the pile: Islanders. Very chill city builder with a little bit of puzzle and a little bit of roguelite (randomized which buildings you get access to as you proceed through the levels.) The levels are just the right size, and generally move you along before your burgeoning village gets too hectic to manage.

EDIT: Donut County and Tametsi are both also chill and delightful.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    TFW your Everspace run ends because you ran out of fuel and even angering G&B you couldn't scrape together enough to jump safely.
    And then the first zone of your next run has seventy fucking four fuel and a mineable fuel node when you can't even pick up fuel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If you feel like you built badly in Satisfactory, the nice thing is that there's basically no penalty to just tearing it all down and rejiggering it.

I feel like I end up tearing shit apart and rebuilding it every time I play, it's great.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If you feel like you built badly in Satisfactory you can take solace in the fact you could not do any worse than this man.

https://youtu.be/pTGCAwwNyfc

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    All of his Satisfactory videos get progressively more ridiculous, it's a delight.

• Options
    edited January 2021

hire me Bungie, and I will make the numbers in your Games get real big

giant, massive numbers

just the biggest

Brolo on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the let's game it out satisfactory videos are the only LGIO series that didn't make me think the game was total shit

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yeah, most of his videos are insane because the games are jank or barely functional early access nonsense. Usually, when he plays a decent enough game (like Planet Zoo), it's kind of underwhelming.

But Satisfactory... Satisfactory is good, and you can just do absolutely insane terrifying megaprojects.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    The real magic of his videos comes the moment you hear, "I wonder if I can do this--ooo I can!"

• Options
    Most games he plays I can't get any information on the state of the game itself because he spends uncountable hours breaking them. Nothing he does is a thing I would do during the course of my normal gameplay.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    And the hacks he uses means the game is already outside of normal.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    My current go-to de-stresser is Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Just taking apart spaceships and throwing them in the recycler.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Shipbreaker is real zen until you accidentally cut into something you're not supposed to and oh wait why is the lower half of my body floating all the way over there

Zxerol on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

giant, massive numbers

just the biggest

Can they hire me to just like, play Destiny all day

Wait here’s some input: keep having guns shoot good

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    a
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Oh yeah and these are the games that the developers insisted were totally apolitical and in no way a representation of any kind of worldview

Yeah

To be perfectly precise, they're the games that Ubisoft marketing insisted were totally apolitical.

The actual devs, in interviews, were like "uh-huh yes yes yes we're very not political MISTER THOMPSON."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxW1V8Hwlg

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

giant, massive numbers

just the biggest

Shotguns need to be like

Double good.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

giant, massive numbers

just the biggest

Shotguns need to be like

Double good.

gjlj8JPh.jpg

double the barrels

double the good

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

giant, massive numbers

just the biggest

Shotguns need to be like

Double good.

gjlj8JPh.jpg

double the barrels

double the good

46urifljc5m3.png

Checks out yeah

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Sorry to go back to The Division but I was asleep

Division 2 fucked up one of the few interesting things about 1. In 1, the main villain is a rogue Division agent known as Keener, and you can find dead agent profiles around the city. You find out that a lot of these folks should never have qualified for being an agent, and it casts doubt over the whole enterprise. As it turns out, giving people unilateral authority to kill in times of crisis is bad! Add that to the concept of the Dark Zone, where agents murder each other over a new pair of pants, and the game flirts with the idea of "hey maybe this whole secret police thing is Bad, Actually."

In Division 2, you go to DC, the bad guys are a PMC and a bunch of gangs, Keener doesn't show up until the expansion where you just go back to New York, and every character literally calls you The Sherriff. As it turns out, having any sort of nuance is Stupid, The Division are actually 1000% Pure Heroes out to Save America, get any sort of criticism out of here. (I didnt play the expansion so I don't know if any sort of shades of grey came back, but I'm not gonna buy it and find out lmao)
    Also the head of the NYPD you rescue/recruit hates The Division and what it represents as far as government overreach, but hey, you're doing good things out there so keep it up.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoQ6K53aKEM

Persona 5 Strikers - All Out Action new trailer

uh atlus might nuke this in a bit

you know how they do

Brolo on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    so immortals fenix rising sure is an open world ubisoft game

yup. running, climbing.

grabbing shit.

i do have to admit i am legit embarrassed for whoever wrote the dialogue tho. i can't imagine the directions they must have received for it

"we need the worst dad humour but make it sound like it was google translated from the original babylonian"

"also dick jokes every time anyone mentions arrows"

• Options
    A sci-fi turn-based, tactical RPG that focusses on combat missions and team building. Combines classic tabletop game mechanics with dungeon crawler-style character development. Lead your team on the battlefields of an alien planet with the support of devastating armored vehicles and combat mechs.

20210115 Strike Team Gladius EA (turn-based tactical, RPG, squad, sci-fi)

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    so immortals fenix rising sure is an open world ubisoft game

yup. running, climbing.

grabbing shit.

i do have to admit i am legit embarrassed for whoever wrote the dialogue tho. i can't imagine the directions they must have received for it

"we need the worst dad humour but make it sound like it was google translated from the original babylonian"

"also dick jokes every time anyone mentions arrows"

To be fair, that's all Zeus. He's supposed to be an asshole considering he's, well, Zeus. I swear even Typhon is probably less evil than the god who thinks mortals are ants to be squished unless they're doing something for him.

Hermes is also an asshole just in more of a Greek god arrogance way. Prometheus just wants to tell his story and maybe not be doomed to eternal suffering for helping mortals not go extinct.

• Options
    Everything I've heard and seen of the writing in immortal fenyx ryzing is like Dreamworks nightmare grade shit or like more specifically Ubisoft pretending to have a sense of humour which turns out is just as ghastly as you'd imagine

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying the Fenyx Rising writing. It's sort of low grade camp w/ lots of Prometheus calling Zeus and other gods out on their nonsense. Fenyx comes across as an appropriately plucky mythology/epics fangirl with a mild big brother inferiority complex who discovers things weren't always the way they were sung about.

If there's anything I've noticed about the script and voice acting its the scenery chewing Greek accents. But even that seems in line with the general colorful, vaguely circusy tone of the game. Mostly I'm on board for the map icon hunting, solid gameplay loops and cheery, colorful design.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

If there's anything I've noticed about the script and voice acting its the scenery chewing Greek accents.

good lord yes. it would have been lightyears better if they'd just spoken Greek and had subs

This discussion has been closed.