As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

๐Ÿ–ฅ๏ธ๐ŸŽฎ - Tiny Lands, Redout Space Assault, Rain City & Home Behind 2 out today!

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Any suggestions for a simple, calming game I can play to de-stress?

I don't get a lot of time to play games but I'm mainly focussing on Warhammer Total war 2 but the sometimes makes me even more angry/stressed.

I really could do with some light and simple that I can play for an hour.

Any genre really, maybe some sort of first person exploration type game?

Edit - just saw Brolo's post above mine, will definitely look at that!

Maybe check out Slime Rancher? It's pretty low-key.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

I don't get a lot of time to play games but I'm mainly focussing on Warhammer Total war 2 but the sometimes makes me even more angry/stressed.

Maybe check out Slime Rancher? It's pretty low-key.

Hard to say what'll de-stress you. I find Deep Rock Galactic calming at lower difficulties. Wingspan is a board game but the Steam version is great and really relaxing.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Maybe not the kind of game you're looking for, but I've been playing some Bejeweled 3 lately. It's nice and relaxing and doesn't take a lot of thought.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

"A Short Hike" is a delight. Its isometric(?) but very fun. Also, if you have a Switch, then Golf Story is a great retro designed Golf RPG.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

EAST

SHADE

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i'm an alien that finds every video game relaxing no matter its content or difficulty so i just stare outside the window laughing like a sicko at these questions

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Littlewood

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    If you haven't played the Hexcells series yet, they are a great thing to drop into, play for a bit, feel temporarily smarter, and then get back to your day. They're absolutely 100% puzzle games, not exploration games, though.

Also Glass Masquerade is pretty chill, it's a sort-of-jigsaw puzzle but a bit different, and again easy to play for a little while.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: ยป

For some reason, spot-the-difference games are a weak spot of mine, so one in 3d looks amazing, definitely want to keep an eye on this one when it comes out.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    devil daggers is a great story filled with heart warming characters and a relaxed, calm atmosphere

play it in vr with full motion controls for added immersion and good vibes

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular

I find Stardew Valley to be a supremely relaxing/destressing game. And it has very natural points to take breaks too.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: ยป
    devil daggers is a great story filled with heart warming characters and a relaxed, calm atmosphere

play it in vr with full motion controls for added immersion and good vibes

Fuck VR devil daggers would be a hell of an experience

Not like, a pleasant one, but damn

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Satisfactory is a good de-stressing game for me. There's no real stakes, you just build and build.

• Options

I find Stardew Valley to be a supremely relaxing/destressing game. And it has very natural points to take breaks too.

i get super stressed with SV just because a: i love to min max my time and energy spent each day and b: the 2 year limit makes me panic even tho it's a pretty silly thing to get worked up over

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

I wish I could play SDV like this. I get to about autumn year one and my farm is a huge complicated engine with many parts producing a ton of mayonnaise and cheese and wine and augh I wanted to go to the mines today but i have to harvest my cranberries or they won't regrow the final time before winter and I have to pet all my chickens and aaaaaauuughhhh

• Options

I wish I could play SDV like this. I get to about autumn year one and my farm is a huge complicated engine with many parts producing a ton of mayonnaise and cheese and wine and augh I wanted to go to the mines today but i have to harvest my cranberries or they won't regrow the final time before winter and I have to pet all my chickens and aaaaaauuughhhh

hell yes i get stress hives!

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Satisfactory is a good de-stressing game for me. There's no real stakes, you just build and build.

This is interesting because I love Satisfactory but it majorly stresses me out because I always feel like I should be building better.

Also, Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicles is kinda like Stardew but no combat and is an extremely chill good time.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm playing Stardew with a mod that lets me customize the time speed. I currently set it to 15 seconds per 10 minutes instead of the default 7 seconds, but it can be customized to whatever one wants. I'm now at spring year 2 with 100 hours on this save and still greatly enjoying it. I can also pause time whenever I want if I fuck up and forget that I have a quest expiring in 10 minutes on the other side of the map.

Aistan on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    You don't need to min/max, and I argue you shouldn't try. What you should do is pursue whatever is fun for you, and discard the rest. Maybe go into town and chat up someone special, or maybe check out a couple layers of the mines.

• Options
    Yonder is very chill but I got bored pretty quickly since there's only a few things to do repeated and spread out over the map.

• Options
    You don't need to min/max, and I argue you shouldn't try. What you should do is pursue whatever is fun for you, and discard the rest. Maybe go into town and chat up someone special, or maybe check out a couple layers of the mines.

what's fun for me is min/maxing.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Because my brain is just laughably busted, I find Pathologic 2 relaxing

• Options

i get super stressed with SV just because a: i love to min max my time and energy spent each day and b: the 2 year limit makes me panic even tho it's a pretty silly thing to get worked up over

They pushed it back to 3 years, so you don't have to do an optimization run now.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Sorry to go back to The Division but I was asleep

Division 2 fucked up one of the few interesting things about 1. In 1, the main villain is a rogue Division agent known as Keener, and you can find dead agent profiles around the city. You find out that a lot of these folks should never have qualified for being an agent, and it casts doubt over the whole enterprise. As it turns out, giving people unilateral authority to kill in times of crisis is bad! Add that to the concept of the Dark Zone, where agents murder each other over a new pair of pants, and the game flirts with the idea of "hey maybe this whole secret police thing is Bad, Actually."

In Division 2, you go to DC, the bad guys are a PMC and a bunch of gangs, Keener doesn't show up until the expansion where you just go back to New York, and every character literally calls you The Sherriff. As it turns out, having any sort of nuance is Stupid, The Division are actually 1000% Pure Heroes out to Save America, get any sort of criticism out of here. (I didnt play the expansion so I don't know if any sort of shades of grey came back, but I'm not gonna buy it and find out lmao)

• Options

They pushed it back to 3 years, so you don't have to do an optimization run now.

The game also doesn't "end" end, either I hear. You can keep playing and even re-trigger the "end" event if you have made your farm better and want it to be judged again.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: ยป

The game also doesn't "end" end, either I hear. You can keep playing and even re-trigger the "end" event if you have made your farm better and want it to be judged again.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a mod that turns off the end evaluation completely.

• Options
    yeah you can keep playing stardew as long as you'd like

the only 'end' is that new scheduled events stop happening after the second year (more or less), so the game lets you know that you don't have to keep on playing indefinitely

as for the evaluation at the end, you can use a resource to trigger an evaluation whenever you want

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Also the evaluation is pretty easy

I hear it was hard early on with the game, but with the current game state you just need to be friends with everyone and you'll ace it

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    honestly right now my go-to destress game is puyo puyo tetris, kind of because it's the opposite of low-key and relaxing

it's super fast paced and challenging, which means to do any good at it all i gotta completely empty my head of anything and everything other than "where do i put this piece."

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Sorry to go back to The Division but I was asleep

Division 2 fucked up one of the few interesting things about 1. In 1, the main villain is a rogue Division agent known as Keener, and you can find dead agent profiles around the city. You find out that a lot of these folks should never have qualified for being an agent, and it casts doubt over the whole enterprise. As it turns out, giving people unilateral authority to kill in times of crisis is bad! Add that to the concept of the Dark Zone, where agents murder each other over a new pair of pants, and the game flirts with the idea of "hey maybe this whole secret police thing is Bad, Actually."

In Division 2, you go to DC, the bad guys are a PMC and a bunch of gangs, Keener doesn't show up until the expansion where you just go back to New York, and every character literally calls you The Sherriff. As it turns out, having any sort of nuance is Stupid, The Division are actually 1000% Pure Heroes out to Save America, get any sort of criticism out of here. (I didnt play the expansion so I don't know if any sort of shades of grey came back, but I'm not gonna buy it and find out lmao)

I actually did play the expansion for 2 because I was in a dark place where endless bullshit grinding in a shitty game sounded fun at the time, and... kinda? The titular warlords are all ex-Division agents like Keener, and you have characters like a dude who was born into a crime family and joined the NYPD only to discover that it was no better than a mob*, which is probably the most shocking backstory you'll ever see in a Tom fuckin Clancy game. It's surface level shit, but you could see just the tiniest glimpse of storytelling complexity if not the game's preoccupation of making you the absolute hero scrubbing of Manhattan of the criminal scourge.

And that's kinda the problem: no matter how much nuance you wanna put in this kind of game, the player character is always the good guy, and even if the antagonists came from the same place you work for, they're treated as a tumor to be excised, leaving everything else nice, healthy, and spotless. The game's title agency is never treated as anything less than a necessary good that had the misfortune of being betrayed.

*but our game is completely non-political lul

Zxerol on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    next week:

uZSNT1u.jpg

Galactic Civilizations III
    Free Jan 21 - Jan 28

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I started a new SV farm and actually got married, it was amusingly charming

I do want to like bulldoze everything and condense it, is there any way to move adult fruit trees or are you just hosed

Wait I'll just knock down everything that isnt a fruit tree and plant five hundred fruit trees fucking brilliant

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    There was some Yakuza talk sometime back and Yakuza 0 is like 5 bucks from the sega humble bundle sale if anyone wants to get in on the series, it's really good value for how much game there is
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/sega-winter-sale/

Peas on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I play The Long Dark if I want to de-stress. Most games have too much going on so I'm trying to do a bunch of things at the same time. Long Dark is very single-focus, and quiet, which I find meditative.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    honestly right now my go-to destress game is puyo puyo tetris, kind of because it's the opposite of low-key and relaxing

it's super fast paced and challenging, which means to do any good at it all i gotta completely empty my head of anything and everything other than "where do i put this piece."

Yeah. Though if I'm aiming to destress I stick to solo play. Just do endless marathon or something until I remember I need to blink.

Also one of the more recent updates to the SNES emulator included in Nintendo's online service added Super Mario Picross which is surprisingly engaging and relaxing. It's frequently been my before bed game lately.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

sure but the floating threat of it colors everything i do in that game. another one of the reason i infinitely prefer graveyard keeper

• Options

sure but the floating threat of it colors everything i do in that game. another one of the reason i infinitely prefer graveyard keeper

That's fair. I couldn't find any mods that remove it, unfortunately.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Last year I hosted a 4 player farm with some friends where a couple days before the new year I spent like 4 hours using the farm planner website, screenshots, the wiki, custom Google sheets with formulas,
    and notes on all our current assets and skills to plan out exactly how to lay out our farm on spring 1, how many of all the different seeds and fertilizers to get, and who would do digging vs planting etc.

Because despite being too lazy to plan much of anything else, that kind of optimization problem is something I find fun.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.