Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2021
    Nvidia owning ARM is at least as terrifying a concept if ARM stuff takes off.

There is nothing nvidia could do to qualcomm, apple, or any of the other legacy arm license / patent holders. Those were memorialized well before the sale and are grandfathered in.

That puts Qualcomm in a very interesting position for the PC space, IMO. Qualcomm could partner with Microsoft and build a next-gen snapdragon that borrows heavily from the lessons learned on the Mx chips, and Microsoft could put an ARM surface device out there that doesn't suck.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I actually thought of every company big enough to develop an X86 replacement

And of all of them, the only company I feel even moderately comfortable with doing so is fucking Microsoft edit: or Intel.

That's not singing the praises of MS at all, that's just recognizing how bad tech companies are at the moment.

I wouldn't trust Intel.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    LD50 wrote: »

And of all of them, the only company I feel even moderately comfortable with doing so is fucking Microsoft edit: or Intel.

That's not singing the praises of MS at all, that's just recognizing how bad tech companies are at the moment.

I wouldn't trust Intel.

Intel currently owns X86 and it doesn't seem overly awful.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I wouldn't trust Intel.

Intel's practices are pretty staunchly anti-consumer. We've just been pretty lucky that AMD has been kicking their teeth in for the past couple years.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    There were dark times before Athlon, and then a long interregnum until the Ryzen line came out.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

I wouldn't trust Intel.

Intel's practices are pretty staunchly anti-consumer. We've just been pretty lucky that AMD has been kicking their teeth in for the past couple years.

At the same time, don't trust AMD any farther than you can throw them.

In fact don't trust a single corporate entity to have your interests in mind. They will screw you over the moment it is convenient for them.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I mean, tech is completely and utterly surrounded by proprietary bullshit to the point where monopolies are inevitable. Any of the companies you're talking about, if given the power to own a thing and make it, is going to abuse the fact that they own and make it. There are no heroes, or in this case, lesser evils. There's just "staunch evil" and "staunch evil that isn't in a position to assert how evil they are."

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If the world was a better place a new standard architecture would be developed and pushed to the IEEE, which would be what ARM is for the time being with even less of a profit motive.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    If the world was a better place a new standard architecture would be developed and pushed to the IEEE, which would be what ARM is for the time being with even less of a profit motive.

something something that xkcd standards comic

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    How much power does a 3080 draw? I got a new battery for my 1000v/600w cyberpower UPS, ran Port Royal in 3Dmark to stress the system. During the test, the UPS was showing 600-650v used. It may have spiked to 700v, but during the middle of the test the Overload warning came on with it's continuous load beep till I killed the 3DMark test. My powersupply is 850w and I don't remember seeing any reviews of the 3080 + AMD CPU hitting that wall.

Cyberpower is telling me that even though it says 1000v/600w, anything over 80% of that is considered overload. So that would be 480w? Is it possible with a 5900x and 3080 I hit the 480w limit?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    How much power does a 3080 draw? I got a new battery for my 1000v/600w cyberpower UPS, ran Port Royal in 3Dmark to stress the system. During the test, the UPS was showing 600-650v used. It may have spiked to 700v, but during the middle of the test the Overload warning came on with it's continuous load beep till I killed the 3DMark test. My powersupply is 850w and I don't remember seeing any reviews of the 3080 + AMD CPU hitting that wall.

Cyberpower is telling me that even though it says 1000v/600w, anything over 80% of that is considered overload. So that would be 480w? Is it possible with a 5900x and 3080 I hit the 480w limit?

Yeah easily could exceed 480w with that combo.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I mean I get it, but the XKCD thing was definitely talking about something else.

I'm thinking something like the USB-IF or HDMI group where the standard architectures are something that have real-world designs and implementations, and aren't just software design/protocols.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I mean I get it, but the XKCD thing was definitely talking about something else.

That's what they all say.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    proper technique for applying thermal paste

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Please put visceral images like that in spoilers next time

• Options
    I appreciate the trail of it flying over the caps next to the CPU

I mean ultimately it doesn't matter because it's electrically non-conductive but yeah...it just looks so wrong.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Yeah easily could exceed 480w with that combo.

Hmmm I was afraid of that. I'll see if I see it in any real world scenarios. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to step up to the 1500v one.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

I mean ultimately it doesn't matter because it's electrically non-conductive but yeah...it just looks so wrong.

Not all thermal pastes aren't conductive. I like to imagine they are using an extra spicy electrically conductive one.

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

Not all thermal pastes aren't conductive. I like to imagine they are using an extra spicy electrically conductive one.

Coming to you now from Nvidia: Sriracha Thermal Paste

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    oh yeah now it's big brain time

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    this hurts me

• Options
    So are those from that Verge video about how to build a PC?

• Options
    Namrok wrote: »
    So are those from that Verge video about how to build a PC?

Gamers Nexus

Saucy sauce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUWVVTY63hc

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So I've finally done something more sweaty than putting together my own PC.

Putting together a friends PC for them. Holy smokes!

So I had some issues with the 8 and 4 pin power sockets on the motherboard. I feel like before that I've plugged in an 8 pin and half another 8 into the 4 pin and that worked? Except this time around it didn't boot with the 4 in, as soon as I took it out it was fine?

If that was incorrect then I'm hoping I haven't damaged anything!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

So I had some issues with the 8 and 4 pin power sockets on the motherboard. I feel like before that I've plugged in an 8 pin and half another 8 into the 4 pin and that worked? Except this time around it didn't boot with the 4 in, as soon as I took it out it was fine?

Unless you're doing heavy overclocks you can run on just the 8-pin. It is fine.

Seems weird that you'd have a PSU with two 8-pins for CPU with no 4-pin though? Sure it's not some 4+4s?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Got the new PWM fans in. Decided to rip the fan controller wiring out of my case and send everything directly to the motherboard, which has something ridiculous like 7 4-pin headers. As a result, my build now uses zero SATA power connectors.

image1.jpg
    image0.jpg

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'd like to build a new gaming PC as mine is almost ten years old.

Are any of these good parts going to be easier to get in the next six months or what?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

There's enormous demand and not enough supply. We may see things ease in six months, but maybe not. I figured things would have eased by now and they haven't.

It's hard to make plans unless you're willing to wait and buy from a system builder since they're getting regular shipments. Note that buying from a system builder means paying a pretty hefty premium, though it beats buying from a scalper.

I'd suggest just holding onto your money for now and waiting things out if you can. Hopefully it'll ease in six months.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I want to do a new build with a 5900x or 5950x, but that doesn't seem likely any time soon. Can I use my 2700x as a placeholder in an x570 motherboard? Any potential problems I might run into that would make it easier just to wait?

• Options
    You absolutely can use your 2700x as a placeholder in an x570. I'm not aware of any problems, but maybe somebody with direct experience can point out any possible incompatibilities or gotchas.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Infidel wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »

Unless you're doing heavy overclocks you can run on just the 8-pin. It is fine.

Seems weird that you'd have a PSU with two 8-pins for CPU with no 4-pin though? Sure it's not some 4+4s?

So this perplexed me too. I spent a long time fiddling and got nowhere. The 8 was indeed two 4 pins, but all the additional connectors (which were 6 and 2 combo ones) would not fit in the 8 pin slot. Specifically the 2 pin part was not right. I'm like 99% sure since I unscrewed the top part of the case to get a better look and everything. I was very surprised though.

That moment when I clicked power on and got nothing but a quiet click from the PSU though...

Oh and in other questions based on pant shitting moments from the build. Any have any idea why I'm getting BIOS video output through displayport only? Initially was using HDMI (since I've got spare ports on my monitor) and nothing was outputting. Swapped out a DP from my main PC and things were and are hunkydory! Going to be installing windows later, so I'll see if the HDMIs work properly there.

Campy on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Got the new PWM fans in. Decided to rip the fan controller wiring out of my case and send everything directly to the motherboard, which has something ridiculous like 7 4-pin headers. As a result, my build now uses zero SATA power connectors.

Dang, that's clean.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »

Dang, that's clean.

Fractal makes it soooo easy to do clean. I have the meshify C case from them and even though by all accounts it should be a total shitshow in there with all my RGB madness, I had good channels and cable tie posts and hidden backplate 2.5" drive mounts... and a crapload of airflow.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    The Meshify C case is wonderful. I love how my new Dynamic looks but the C was/is pretty great for air cooling.
    I want to do a new build with a 5900x or 5950x, but that doesn't seem likely any time soon. Can I use my 2700x as a placeholder in an x570 motherboard? Any potential problems I might run into that would make it easier just to wait?

I used my 2600x in my new build for a couple weeks and it was fine; it's designed to be fine. It may actually help you out since you may need to update the BIOS on your new mobo before it'll run a 5000 series Ryzen.

The one "problem" I experienced was only being able to run 2 sticks of RAM at XMP settings instead of all four. The memory controller in the older Ryzen chips is usually not up to snuff for running 4x high speed sticks. But as soon as I swapped in the 5600x everything was smooth sailing.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Heh, too funny. I wonder if that'll get fixed in two weeks, and I further wonder if (after two weeks of selling out stock instantly at the new price) the AIB manufacturers will lower prices again?

Still doesn't explain why white paint is suddenly an extra 80-120 dollars.

How many people are buying white GPUs though?

It seems like a special run of a product.

apparently enough. ATR STONKS had a notification yesterday for a white ROG STRIX 3080. I happened to be free when the alert went off and I clicked within seconds. Already out of stock.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Well, first thing, people are buying any and every 3080. Zotac and PNY stuff sells out instantly. And second thing, white/black or all white builds are extremely common among enthusiasts, being a theme that's actually supported by manufacturers and one that works well with RGB lighting.

Asus' $350 premium for a white Strix (over FE MSRP) is the worst kind of money grubbing. I put it up with Newegg's combo bullshit.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    My current PC is from 2014, it's time for a fresh one (not least because of the amount of schoolwork the children now need to be on this one to do).

I'm a million miles out of the loop on hardware, are we in a "definitely Intel" or "definitely AMD" sort of period for CPUs?

Graphics wise I'll always stick with Nvidia, is it a yes or a "not yet" on raytracing?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    AMD has by far the better bang for your buck on the CPU front, imo Raytracing is still not a real (ie widespread) thing, but that may change fairly quickly in the next couple of years

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I guess my concern is if it's one of those things that is never really taken up before the next thing comes around and eclipses it.

But you can always convince yourself that the best thing to do is wait six months and THEN get a new PC.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    AMD has by far the better bang for your buck on the CPU front, imo Raytracing is still not a real (ie widespread) thing, but that may change fairly quickly in the next couple of years

* If you can get your hands on an AMD CPU

This discussion has been closed.