Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Heh, too funny. I wonder if that'll get fixed in two weeks, and I further wonder if (after two weeks of selling out stock instantly at the new price) the AIB manufacturers will lower prices again?

Still doesn't explain why white paint is suddenly an extra 80-120 dollars.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Heh, too funny. I wonder if that'll get fixed in two weeks, and I further wonder if (after two weeks of selling out stock instantly at the new price) the AIB manufacturers will lower prices again?

How many people are buying white GPUs though?

It seems like a special run of a product.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Man, if this bullshit gives amazon a reason to increase the price on my 3080 I'm gonna fucking scream.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Can someone help me out here?

I'm considering spending some of my gubmint $600 on a new 2tb NVME and doing away with all these smaller drives I'm running.

I'm looking at the Sabrent ones and this Amazon page has 2 different 2tb ones at $90 difference in price and the differences between the two don't seem that dramatic. Both are PCI-e 4.0, but one is 5000/4400 (read/write) speeds and the other is 4800/3600 (read/write). Outside of benchmarking, would there ever be enough noticeable difference between the two to justify the $90 difference?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

I'm considering spending some of my gubmint $600 on a new 2tb NVME and doing away with all these smaller drives I'm running.

I'm looking at the Sabrent ones and this Amazon page has 2 different 2tb ones at $90 difference in price and the differences between the two don't seem that dramatic. Both are PCI-e 4.0, but one is 5000/4400 (read/write) speeds and the other is 4800/3600 (read/write). Outside of benchmarking, would there ever be enough noticeable difference between the two to justify the $90 difference?

The difference probably stems from the type of flash memory used. The QLC drive will probably be cheaper but won't perform as well or have the same lifespan as an equivalent TLC drive.

You probably won't notice much of a difference if you are mostly reading from the drive but if you do any amount of writes to it you want to get the TLC model.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If you’re using it as an OS drive it will get a LOT of writes. I think I had 10x more writes than reads on my 1TB before I swapped it out for a 2TB.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

How many people are buying white GPUs though?

It seems like a special run of a product.

In 2021? Probably a significant number of folks now that white cases don't yellow anymore.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie even though I was aiming for Radeon the Asus white OC 3080's were on my list because fuck yeah white GPU's.

Also just catching up on the last page or so, seems like I really got my shit in the nick of time

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options

The difference probably stems from the type of flash memory used. The QLC drive will probably be cheaper but won't perform as well or have the same lifespan as an equivalent TLC drive.

You probably won't notice much of a difference if you are mostly reading from the drive but if you do any amount of writes to it you want to get the TLC model.

It would be my primary/only drive.

I just wondered because I know a lot of times one can see a big difference in numbers on a spec sheet, but not much improvement in actual real world use. And a $90 price difference is pretty significant.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I skipped out on a 4.0 drive this time because nothing in benchmarks showed I'd notice any difference for gaming and light workloads which is 90% of what I use my computer for. Granted I hugely overbuilt my computer for my use case but I'll likely upgrade to a 2TB 4.0 drive in a year or so when prices come down a bit. For now though I couldn't justify the expense over a SX8200 Pro.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I just wondered because I know a lot of times one can see a big difference in numbers on a spec sheet, but not much improvement in actual real world use. And a $90 price difference is pretty significant.

If it is your primary drive it's worth the extra $90 to get a TLC model. Do you need a PCIe 4.0 model? If you can make do with an older drive, 2TB drives that support PCIe 3.0 can be had for around $250 with TLC flash.

Soggybiscuit on
  • Options

If it is your primary drive it's worth the extra $90 to get a TLC model. Do you need a PCIe 4.0 model? If you can make do with an older drive, 2TB drives that support PCIe 3.0 can be had for around $250 with TLC flash.

Why would I not want a PCI-e 4.0 model? That one you linked has even slower speeds than the two I linked.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2021

Why would I not want a PCI-e 4.0 model? That one you linked has even slower speeds than the two I linked.

cost savings and marginal real-world benefit, basically. The 5000MB/s read speed looks huge but you don't really "feel" the difference like you would the jump from SATA to nvme PCIe 3.

I have a 2TB PCIe 4 nvme (gigabyte aorus), and while its freaking awesome, you can save some money and get the PCIe 3 version and not notice much of a difference.

I figured I was buying something I was going to consistently use for 4-6 years, so I may as well go all out.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    syndalis wrote: »
    I have a 2TB PCIe 4 nvme (gigabyte aorus), and while its freaking awesome, you can save some money and get the PCIe 3 version and not notice much of a difference.

I figured I was buying something I was going to consistently use for 4-6 years, so I may as well go all out.

I'm considering the same right now, since I'll get a motherboard with two M.2 slots. And my current Windows installation is... five years old, minimum?

I don't need much space for the OS though, I have it on a 256 gig SSD at the moment with plenty of space to spare. But I guess I can go bigger and just partition it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Oooh, one other thing, the 4.0 drives run a LOT hotter. Make sure your motherboard has room for a heatsink where the nvme slot is, or even better, it has a good one built in already.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

It's simply a order of magnitude thing. When you go from a spinning disk to a (good) SATA SSD, you see massive improvements in speed and particularly latency. You see much less real improvement when you go to a NVMe drive from a SATA drive. And with a PCIe 3.0 -> PCIe 4.0, you basically see no improvement, latency is already minimized and the difference between 3000 MB/s and 5000 MB/s is marginal in real world terms unless you are doing minutes long transfers of files.

Also, do you have a B550 or X570 board with a Ryzen 3000 series or better CPU? If you don't, you will see absolutely 0 benefit from a PCIe 4.0 compatible drive.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Okay so it feels like we're going in circles.

I have an X570 board and a Ryzen 3700X. I currently already have 2 NVME drives, one 250gb and one 500gb (plus an SSD and a 4tb HDD). I just want to switch out to a single 2tb NVME and I want the best bang for the buck.

I have plenty of room for a heat sink - both my current NVMEs have heat sinks.

I just wanted to know if that bump between the two Sabrent drives was really worth a $90 price premium, which you first told me yes and then told me no.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

Here is Tom's Hardware's best value PCIe 4.0 model, uses TLC:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adata-xpg-gammix-s50-lite-m-2-ssd-review/2

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I have an X570 board and a Ryzen 3700X. I currently already have 2 NVME drives, one 250gb and one 500gb (plus an SSD and a 4tb HDD). I just want to switch out to a single 2tb NVME and I want the best bang for the buck.

I just wanted to know if that bump between the two Sabrent drives was really worth a $90 price premium, which you first told me yes and then told me no.

Huh?

Is the extra $90 worth it to buy a TLC PCIe 4.0 drive over a QLC PCIe 4.0 drive to replace all of your other drives, including the drive housing your primary windows install? Yes!
    Is the $120+ price difference between a TLC PCIe 3.0 and TLC PCIe 4.0 drive worth the minor performance difference between the two? Absolutely not, don't waste your money.

Is a QLC drive of any type in your application a good idea? Absolutely not.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Looking at some reviews and benchmarks the extra $90 doesn't get you anything you'll ever notice. Save your money.

Outside of very intensive data transfer workloads QLC memory is fine for the normal gamer/consumer.

Cormac on
  • Options

It's not. Don't buy PCIE 4.0 NVME drives right now; nothing in the real world needs or benefits from that kind of bandwidth yet, and you'll be generating extra heat for no reason.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, in terms of band for buck, is strongly suggest that you don't even think of any pcie4 drives larger than a tb. 2 is just too expensive right now

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Outside of very intensive data transfer workloads QLC memory is fine for the normal gamer/consumer.

killmenow.jpg

:lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

killmenow.jpg

:lol:

QLC sucks for writes

If it's your primary drive you will be doing a lot of writes whether you know it or not

ergo QLC sucks for your primary drive and you should not buy QLC

• Options
    PCIE 3.0 TLC is cheap enough in relative terms that one ought to buy it instead of a QLC drive, especially for an OS drive

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Also Best Buy had a twice-weekly big drop of GPUs this morning; anyone get lucky? I was distracted at the usual drop time and missed it all, heh. This might have been the last big drop of GPUs at 2020 prices.

Rius on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I only buy helium-filled SSD's.

What?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2021
    PCIE 3.0 TLC is cheap enough in relative terms that one ought to buy it instead of a QLC drive, especially for an OS drive

How big is the actual difference in performance? Was looking at an M.2 stick as a new OS drive. And yeah, PCIe 3, can't really motivate that price bump at all, and its not like I'll be slinging 100+ gigabutts around on a regular basis.

Echo on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I saw Wario64 tweet about the Best Buy drop as I was getting out of the shower, didn't think much of it. Was watching the "add to cart" button while I was shaving and somehow ended up with a 3090 I get to pick up on Monday! I then told a friend about it, and he managed to snag a 3080 probably 20-30 minutes after I saw the original tweet. They either had a lot of inventory today or were really drip feeding it out effectively. Either way, 2021 is looking up already :)

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

How big is the actual difference in performance? Was looking at an M.2 stick as a new OS drive. And yeah, PCIe 3, can't really motivate that price bump at all, and its not like I'll be slinging 100+ gigabutts around on a regular basis.

The difference between TLC and QLC is TLC does double the random reads (i.e. the most common form of usage).

If you're getting an NVME drive right now, a TLC 3.0 is the absolute best bang for your buck.

• Options
    Congrats! Yeah, that is what Best Buy does; they stock up product for 2 weeks at a time then drop it all at once, with what appears to be a bit of a drip feed effect. Getting a 3080 after 20-30 minutes of the drop being live is pretty unusual though!

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Congrats! Yeah, that is what Best Buy does; they stock up product for 2 weeks at a time then drop it all at once, with what appears to be a bit of a drip feed effect. Getting a 3080 after 20-30 minutes of the drop being live is pretty unusual though!

Thanks :) It's a 3090 base NVIDIA card, I'm wondering if I should have/should just wait for one of the EVGA OC cards. Though I should probably just be happy with the one I have, right?

I just upgraded to a 750w PSU in September. If I have the 3090 and a Ryzen 7 3700X, will that be enough? Or have I kneecapped myself a bit here?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Are you writing multi-gigabyte files on a daily basis and/or getting near the write buffer of a drive? If yes then TLC, if no then QLC should be fine. Especially under light workloads and gaming. I'd still rather have a TLC drive in my system but QLC doesn't necessarily suck it just has it's use cases.

Personally, I'd skip a 4.0 drive right now and get the fastest 3.0 drive in the capacity you want. You'll get a drive that's just as fast in normal applications and save a significant amount of money.

Cormac on
  • Options

Thanks :) It's a 3090 base NVIDIA card, I'm wondering if I should have/should just wait for one of the EVGA OC cards. Though I should probably just be happy with the one I have, right?

I just upgraded to a 750w PSU in September. If I have the 3090 and a Ryzen 7 3700X, will that be enough? Or have I kneecapped myself a bit here?

That's 350w and 65w TDP, respectively, so a 750 ought to be just fine. You might not be smack in the middle of the PSU's efficiency curve, but that's not a big deal either. You'll especially have plenty of room if you undervolt a little bit.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    To increase part cohesion and replace the non-PWM fans that came with my Define 7, I've ordered a 5-pack of Arctic P14 PWM PST fans, which will match perfectly with the fans on my Liquid Freezer II 280.

• Options
    Ok. Well, this is what I've been using for my O/S for a while now. I don't see anywhere where it says if it's QLC or TLC or something else. I also have a 500gb Sabrent Rocket PCI-e 3.0 that does say TLC. Maybe I should just throw my OS on that and get whatever 2tb NVME is cheapest for my games.

60% of what I do with my PC is gaming and 40% is, like Word and Excel. >.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Pixie after a bit of digging, that Samsung drive appears to be a TLC drive

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

But it's an older (slower?) drive. At least, it does poorly in Crystaldiskmark compared to my Sabrent.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

But it's an older (slower?) drive. At least, it does poorly in Crystaldiskmark compared to my Sabrent.

It's smaller. You typically won't get the full write speed a specific SSD controller is capable of until ~500 GB in size or sometimes even 1 TB in size. Reads are usually pretty similar though. I'm guessing the Sabrent beats it in writes?

• Options
    edited January 2021

Sequential or random read/writes?

Basically your bottom two benchmarks in Crystal are going to be closer to your real-world performance. Sequential is a different beast, large file transfer stuff.

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.