As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I feel so inadequate. Holy shit.

"I put a computer in my 80s Voltron toy castle"
    https://www.reddit.com/gallery/ktknx7

k1q8agbfyqs3.jpg

x35lmhrvmxde.png

az0bfeswhy97.jpg

I guarantee the posters in the thread ignored the great work by the OP and started griping about thermals.

Not impressed unless they have to assemble the computer each time before they use it

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So I got my 3090 from Best Buy today, which was awesome. I probably should have considered this ahead of time, but it’s...a little big.
    j1ZFwON.jpg

Whoops. That said, I did some jiggering and made it fit!
    qwLIYor.jpg

...kinda.
    r8W2y3S.jpg

So I guess I’m in the market for a new case? Any recommendations?

@Grundlestiltskin any of these: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3630-best-worst-pc-cases-2020

Do you actually use your DVD drive?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My current case is a Fractal Define R4, and my 3080 sure is a chonky lad. That's a drive cage where it just barely fit. First time I seated the card I ended up disconnecting a SATA cable underneath it, and I had to remove the drive cage to get it out again. I'll only use this case for another week or so so eh, whatever.

3wrhweyg9mmi.jpeg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My current build has a Maingear Vybe and I quite like it, but I am an absolute mark for glass side panels.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    So I got my 3090 from Best Buy today, which was awesome. I probably should have considered this ahead of time, but it’s...a little big.
    j1ZFwON.jpg

qwLIYor.jpg

...kinda.
    r8W2y3S.jpg

@Grundlestiltskin any of these: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3630-best-worst-pc-cases-2020

It's happened but I'd say it's exceedingly rare. I do fantasize about ripping all of my DVDs but I've been thinking about it for 10 years so....

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    j1ZFwON.jpg

qwLIYor.jpg

...kinda.
    r8W2y3S.jpg

It's happened but I'd say it's exceedingly rare. I do fantasize about ripping all of my DVDs but I've been thinking about it for 10 years so....

Get an external USB DVD drive and store it in your desk somewhere

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    j1ZFwON.jpg

qwLIYor.jpg

...kinda.
    r8W2y3S.jpg

That listis only the best cases released last year. It doesn't even mention things like the O11 Dynamic (it briefly mentions the mini).

I don't think linking it and saying "just pick one of these" is necessarily a comprehensive list of the best cases.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    j1ZFwON.jpg

qwLIYor.jpg

...kinda.
    r8W2y3S.jpg

Get an external USB DVD drive and store it in your desk somewhere

This is the way.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Built a pc for a coworker in a Fractal Meshify C and it was such a nice experience compared to working in the cheapo case I bought for my own. I gladly recommend the Meshify C

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    550w a good number for a build?

Depends on what you have in it. If you're going for a 3080 or equivalent, it's probably not enough.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    550w a good number for a build?

Depends on what you have in it. If you're going for a 3080 or equivalent, it's probably not enough.

It’s like asking how much salt should you use when we have no idea what you’re cooking

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Built a pc for a coworker in a Fractal Meshify C and it was such a nice experience compared to working in the cheapo case I bought for my own. I gladly recommend the Meshify C

More Meshify C love!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »

More Meshify C love!

I did the Meshify S2 but I have the Meshify C for my wife's build, once we get a damn CPU.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Define R series or bust for me! But I value quietness over just about everything else.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah that should be fine then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    It is Tuesday morning, my dudes; there might be a Best Buy drop this morning at 10am Central, +/- 30 minutes. Depending on their stock originations, might be your last chance at 2020 GPU prices

• Options
    So I'm looking at trying to pick up the Lian Li 011 Dynamic or the Meshify 2 XL. Can't seem to find either right now, so that's sad.

Weird note on the Lian Li - PCPartPicker has this link for the Full ATX Tower, but all the store links go to Mid Tower cases. What gives? Is there any major disadvantage to going with mid over full? My Antec 900 is a mid tower and is a little cramped but seems otherwise fine?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So I'm looking at trying to pick up the Lian Li 011 Dynamic or the Meshify 2 XL. Can't seem to find either right now, so that's sad.

Weird note on the Lian Li - PCPartPicker has this link for the Full ATX Tower, but all the store links go to Mid Tower cases. What gives? Is there any major disadvantage to going with mid over full? My Antec 900 is a mid tower and is a little cramped but seems otherwise fine?

Couple questions:

Are you using 3.25 mechanical spinning rust drives and will you require a drive cage?
    Are you doing custom waterloops that require a fairly large pump and reservoir?
    Do you have PCIE devices plugged in to the slots other than a GPU?

• Options
    edited January 2021

Couple questions:

Are you using 3.25 mechanical spinning rust drives and will you require a drive cage?

Are you using 3.25 mechanical spinning rust drives and will you require a drive cage? - I'm off 3.25 drives, down to 3 SSDs and an NVME.
    Are you doing custom waterloops that require a fairly large pump and reservoir? - No
    Do you have PCIE devices plugged in to the slots other than a GPU? - I have a small PCI-E USB Controller that I probably don't actually need anymore now that I shelved my Oculus Rift. I may want to add a PCI-E capture card at some point though.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

Couple questions:

Are you using 3.25 mechanical spinning rust drives and will you require a drive cage? - I'm off 3.25 drives, down to 3 SSDs and an NVME.
    Are you doing custom waterloops that require a fairly large pump and reservoir? - No
    Do you have PCIE devices plugged in to the slots other than a GPU? - I have a small PCI-E USB Controller that I probably don't actually need anymore now that I shelved my Oculus Rift. I may want to add a PCI-E capture card at some point though.

As long as your CPU cooler isn't taller than the case is wide (and if it's an AIO then this isn't a problem at all, usually), then I would say p much every mid tower case in existence will work for you.

I would definitely get a case with a PSU shroud, as it allows "cable management" in the form of just stuffing shit into it nobody will ever see.

A full tower with your setup is probably way too much.

This is a full-size tower (O11 XL) with a build similar to yours put in it:

ekk3qfiuzqpa.png

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So evga finally released a statement saying that they were raising prices for the tariffs too, but that they'd keep the current prices though April for queue and step up orders. Though it's not like those are moving anyway, so...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Last Tuesday I was lucky enough to snag an RTX 3080 FE from Best Buy. It came in a day earlier than was anticipated. I also was able to get a 5600x from Amazon a few weeks ago. I slapped the 3080 in to complete the build. It's slightly smaller than the RTX 2070 it's replacing. I applied an undervolt to it and the performance loss is negligible. The difference in power draw at load is between 50 and 70 watts though. Even with the fans off at idle it sits in the mid 20s and gets up to the mid 50s while gaming.

8iibl4bxureu.jpg

I don't much care for the angled position the power connection sits in but it's not too big of a deal. I also don't understand why the leds can be configured in the center but the geforce rtx can only be white.

Anyways happy with my purchase and glad to have gotten it before price increases. I'm also glad to not have to try my luck at lining up outside microcenter again.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Cryptocurrency seems to be having a bit of a rocky time here the last 3 or 4 days. Maybe we'll get some relief from miners buying up supply after all.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Cryptocurrency seems to be having a bit of a rocky time here the last 3 or 4 days. Maybe we'll get some relief from miners buying up supply after all.

Rocky time? BTC is still up 85% on the month and starting to move up again. Wouldn't expect any relief on that front.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    idk I'm just going by this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-13/bitcoin-extends-tumble-in-further-blow-to-volatile-crypto-boom

Seems that at least the market isn't a lock anymore which might slow consumption of newer cards.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    We can judge by the availability of GPUs

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I always love the coverage of bitcoin. It's still up $15,000 over it's previous all time high of $20,000, and up almost 3x from just a few months ago. But still, over the weekend it had a correction from an absolutely too fast, too soon, peek of $41,000.

But crypto fever is here to stay for probably the rest of the year at a minimum. Good news is, GPUs are basically useless for mining BTC, and the crypto markets aren't as correlated as they used to be. Etherium, the leading GPU mining currency, is gonna have to live or die on it's own merits this time around. And the institutional investors that are trying to protect their USDs from rampant money printing aren't dumping their money bags into ETH. It's BTC that has the reputation of "digital gold".

Who knows though. Maybe there will be another goofy ICO craze. Didn't hear of a single ICO from the last hype cycle that actually amounted to anything. But a fool and his money and all that.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Seems like the 3080Ti and 3070 Super have been indefinitely post-poned.

I guess it's pretty telling that not even Nvidia themselves really have a handle on the scope of how the supply chain was impacted by COVID-19.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    Seems like the 3080Ti and 3070 Super have been indefinitely post-poned.

I guess it's pretty telling that not even Nvidia themselves really have a handle on the scope of how the supply chain was impacted by COVID-19.

They can say “supply chain” all they want but it is almost entirely the optics of releasing new GPUs when people can’t even get the current ones for a reasonable price. I imagine the tariffs didn’t help either, the cheapest 3080 imported post tariff is $750. Some are pushing $900 or more.

And to be clear, the tariff issue also affects AMD as well but still it sucks big time. My wife wanted a computer so she could do some streaming, but considering most of the builds I would do are $300+ more now it’s not going to happen.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hey peeps, is it possible to mirror 3 existing 1TB drives (2 NVMe SSDs, 1 SATA HDD) to one big 3+ TB drive? For backup purposes?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What am I missing in that the 3060 will have 12gb and the 3060TI only has 8gb?

• Options
    Could order a 3600X online with MemEx at the moment so I put that on along with the remaining parts for wife's build.

So now the computer is just one more package away!

I'll keep an eye out for 5600X and we can do a swap down the line maybe.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Also it turns out the wife is all about the unicorn vomit so weeeeeee. :lol:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    So bluetooth on motherboards is garbage huh? I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and I was setting up my new Xbox Series X controller which I found out can't go more than 6 inches from the front of the case before losing signal.

Anyone have any experience with bluetooth extenders?

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Also it turns out the wife is all about the unicorn vomit so weeeeeee. :lol:

RGBEEEEEEEE

• Options
    So bluetooth on motherboards is garbage huh? I have a ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and I was setting up my new Xbox Series X controller which I found out can't go more than 6 inches from the front of the case before losing signal.

Anyone have any experience with bluetooth extenders?

You need to attach the antenna to your motherboard. One should have come with it.

If you don't have an antenna you've got nothing because guess what, your case is a faraday cage which it turns out attenuates electromagnetic signals...like Bluetooth and Wifi.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Saw a 5900x on the microcenter page and realized they won't do the normal reserve and pick up for that part. Why have I been checking their website every day? I'm not going to drive 45 minutes on the chance that the *1* processor they put on the shelf is still there. I'm just going to stop looking, because now I'm sad for no reason.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    2004 Retro PC Update

I've been enjoying Doom 3. Yay!

But it's really choking on the random 512 MB stick I put in there. Boo!

The 2x1 GB sticks I ordered off the motherboard's supported ram list got here! Yay!

Except only one of the sticks works. Boo!

But I can still run the one good stick with the 512 MB I already have, getting me to a respectable 1.5 GB for this 2004 rig. Totally adequate. Yay!

Well that's weird, I pick up PDA's in Doom 3 and it doesn't add any audio files to my PDA. Boo!

Hopefully Saturday the SATA to IDE adapter gets here and I can try installed Win2K on the 2012 vintage Intel SSD again. I really have zero faith in the 20 year old IBM rusty plate I put in there.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Not all collectible PDA's in Doom 3 have voice logs. A lot just have email. Nothing is broken after all. Yay!

Well, I guess my brain is broken. Boo!

Namrok on
This discussion has been closed.