As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jessica Walter Memorial [TV] Thread

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Do you think there will ever be a historical drama prestige television show that does not include prostitution as a major element?

on hbo?

absolutely not

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Do you think there will ever be a historical drama prestige television show that does not include prostitution as a major element?

not until people start respecting sex workers

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah how else will you know it's gritty and real world
    god knows I can't spend half a day without encountering scantily clad sex workers or having some major life-relevant incident go down in a brothel.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Westworld got less horny after season 1 thank goodness. HBO's base horny level is two notches too high for me on average.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Also all the glass wall fishbowl stuff looks exactly like a we work space which is what I was actively working in during those seasons.

Thats my favorite/most dumb thing on the show. Multiple times people are doing things that are against the rules/protocol/illegal inside a glass room and you can see people just walking by in the back.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Gonna make a realistic Victorian Era show where, because realism, at least one character per day has just godawful bowel nightmares going on

They're clogged up from eating bread with plaster in it, or they're absolutely geysering from eating 3-week-old sausage mince, sky's the limit.

For realism!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Deadwood got the ratio of chamberpot antics to plot right, imo

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The thing that gets me is specifically the historical nature of it. Some modern prestige dramas will include sex workers, but it's not a guarantee and they're likely to be in smaller roles unless that's what the show is about. But with a historical drama, it feels like it has to be in the forefront. It feels like a weird romanticizing more than anything, despite, of course, treating sex workers terribly in the process.

Anyways I've moved in to the second season of the Knick, which is uncharted territory for me. The show is still quite good, regardless of prostitution content.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Gonna make a realistic Victorian Era show where, because realism, at least one character per day has just godawful bowel nightmares going on

They're clogged up from eating bread with plaster in it, or they're absolutely geysering from eating 3-week-old sausage mince, sky's the limit.

For realism!

Yeah I really liked The Knick as well.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Is Westworld the show that's about robot titties or whatever?

No you're thinking of Austin Powers

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular

Naked people are a key aspect yes

yeah i know it airs on hbo

Yeah the amount of naked people in Infinity Train is entirely off the charts.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Naked people are a key aspect yes

yeah i know it airs on hbo

Yeah the amount of naked people in Infinity Train is entirely off the charts rails.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Continuing my 1984 Transformers watching and wow there is so much jank here, it would provide so many opportunities for my Sealab 2021 style show.

Even ignoring stuff like Soundwave just having a normal dude's voice in one scene instead of the computer one, there is stuff like Starscream suddenly having a twin brother in multiple scenes because the animators messed up and colored Thundercracker wrong.

Plus, even when it is okay, where is some really silly stuff happening that is ripe for jokes.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Along with the copious amounts of animation errors, there's a lot of ground for a Sealab take.

Spike's body got badly damaged? Put his brain in a gigantic malfunctioning war machine without warning him in advance.

Cobra Commander shows up, but doesn't get named even though it's obviously him.

Skyfire/Jetfire ends up buried in ice multiple times to keep him off the main roster, doesn't he? Also, his toy is blatantly from a different series that is probably more well-known than his Transformers version.

Autobots can't fly like Decepticons, except those times they can.

It was clear they had no real codified answer for how any of the characters (except maybe Optimus Prime) actually transform. This even carries over to the movie where Hot Rod never transforms the same way twice.

The movie also has the whole "Cyclonus and his Armada" debate. Also some of the Autobots that die end up showing up in group shots later on anyways.

Plus when you bring the toyline in you get the FiRRiB vs FiBRiR debate ("Frenzy is Red, Rumble is Blue" versus the reverse).

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Boy West World season 2 is a huge mess and wavers back and forth on quality real hard huh. And the last episode was by far the worst offender

Got to admit, I read that as Boy Meets World twice before parsing it correctly. I was trying to remember how Season 2 of that ended.

Its actually pretty good, its the part where Shawn's mom leaves and his dad abandons him to the Matthews, and hes then taken in by Mr. Turner.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Gonna need all of my Serious TV to feature at least one extended kidney stone sequence minimum

• Options

Chamberplot

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

There's lots of boobs and butts in westworld, but it also shies very hard away from ever trying to say anything interesting about sex whatsoever.

Like the world of westworld is just a big video game, they could've had a whole meta-commentary on the use of sex and/or rape as a story device in storytelling. Or explored the idea of people using fiction as an exploration of their own sexuality. Or draw a line between the lives of the robots and of real prostitutes who get dehumanized by society. Or talked about dark sexual fantasies in media, and does that act as an outlet, or reinforcement when those players return to their normal lives? You could even go super dark Hobbesian and just argue that the players, with no limits on their behavior, inevitably end up doing evil things once they've played for a long enough time. Plenty of other interesting topics they could've touched on too, if they had wanted to.

Instead like, they show naked bodies, and lots of old west prostitutes, but they don't really have anything to say about it at all, except I guess that oh my gosh sex is so shocking we can't talk about it. So it mostly just ends up as nudity for nudity's sake. Which I'm not like... inherently opposed to, but it does feel like just another example of westworld favoring nonstop plot puzzle boxes rather than ever having like, relatable human beings.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

There's lots of boobs and butts in westworld, but it also shies very hard away from ever trying to say anything interesting about sex whatsoever.

Like the world of westworld is just a big video game, they could've had a whole meta-commentary on the use of sex and/or rape as a story device in storytelling. Or explored the idea of people using fiction as an exploration of their own sexuality. Or draw a line between the lives of the robots and of real prostitutes who get dehumanized by society. Or talked about dark sexual fantasies in media, and does that act as an outlet, or reinforcement when those players return to their normal lives? You could even go super dark Hobbesian and just argue that the players, with no limits on their behavior, inevitably end up doing evil things once they've played for a long enough time. Plenty of other interesting topics they could've touched on too, if they had wanted to.

Instead like, they show naked bodies, and lots of old west prostitutes, but they don't really have anything to say about it at all, except I guess that oh my gosh sex is so shocking we can't talk about it. So it mostly just ends up as nudity for nudity's sake. Which I'm not like... inherently opposed to, but it does feel like just another example of westworld favoring nonstop plot puzzle boxes rather than ever having like, relatable human beings.

The show didn't say NOTHING about this. Like a major subplot in seasons 1 and 2 (I haven't gotten to 3) is that a guy who treated the robots horrifically was also a horrible monster in his personal life, he was just sly about it in the public eye. But yeah, for the most part, it was much more concerned with twists involving timelines and secret identities than anything about the themes you're bringing up there.

• Options

They also could've explored what people go to westerns for, what tropes they expect and why. What westerns say about Natives, and what the audiences of westerns think about Natives. What the future thinks about Natives, where Natives are in the future.

But Westworld is a show that cares about aesthetics, that loves to gesture towards big ideas, but that ultimately just quotes better literature a bunch and asks the most rudimentary of sci-fi questions: "Are robots people?"

Gosh but I don't care for Westworld

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    The thing that gets me is specifically the historical nature of it. Some modern prestige dramas will include sex workers, but it's not a guarantee and they're likely to be in smaller roles unless that's what the show is about. But with a historical drama, it feels like it has to be in the forefront. It feels like a weird romanticizing more than anything, despite, of course, treating sex workers terribly in the process.

Anyways I've moved in to the second season of the Knick, which is uncharted territory for me. The show is still quite good, regardless of prostitution content.

I want a historically accurate Tokugawa-era samurai show.

Which is to say just nonstop samurai-on-samurai gay sex. Not having sex with dudes was horribly unmanly, all your samurai friends would make fun of you.

There's sooooo much stuff in the historical record about it. Tourist guides booklets about the best male brothels. Legal proceedings over one samurai cheating on another with another man. A constant wellspring of comedy was arguing about the relative benefits of sex with men vs women. And sooo many erotic woodblock prints.

Also the ancient greeks and romans, of course.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah when Westwood first came out, I liked it for it’s very slick tone.

And I watched the first season and enjoyed it, and then the second season happened and it just felt incredibly muddled and I didn’t really know what happened at all. And that’s when I realised there just wasn’t much going on other than it’s slick tone.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

They also could've explored what people go to westerns for, what tropes they expect and why. What westerns say about Natives, and what the audiences of westerns think about Natives. What the future thinks about Natives, where Natives are in the future.

But Westworld is a show that cares about aesthetics, that loves to gesture towards big ideas, but that ultimately just quotes better literature a bunch and asks the most rudimentary of sci-fi questions: "Are robots people?"

There was a second season episode Kiksuya touches on some of these ideas, but not super in depth.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Bloods End wrote: »

There was a second season episode Kiksuya touches on some of these ideas, but not super in depth.

I watched that episode after years of people telling me it excused my issues with their handling of Native shit

I have not adjusted my criticisms, is what I'll say

EDIT: Zahn McClarnon should've gotten an Emmy nom, though. God, that motherfucker can act.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    we got up to Confidence Man in the Lost rewatch
    feels extremely 2004 that they jumped to torture so quickly but one of the things I'd forgotten about the show was how often a character will say or do something shitty and then immediately realize they fucked up. Charlie specifically shoves his foot in his mouth multiple times and then apologizes immediately for saying something fucked, which is a good contrast to Sawyer, who intentionally says fucked up things because he hasn't experienced character growth yet

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Having just started season 3 of West World, well lets just say in one episode its already more interesting then season 2

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Gonna need all of my Serious TV to feature at least one extended kidney stone sequence minimum

Just has a very visceral twinge remembering that scene.

Gleet!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

This is very accurate and good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Well there is a overall plot reveal to explain the origins of the parks but maybe you just don't find it interesting. Season 2 starts out pretty muddled but it turns out the various figures behind the park and its funding all had different ideas for it. Some wanted to create a new species, others were interested in immortality, and some just wanted to fuck pretty robots.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I like the part where Yul Brynner's face gets melted off

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Almost a billion dollars being spent on making the LOTR show

• Options
    I specifically like how modern London is a rock quarry.

That is so specific on multiple levels to Doctor Who.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Butters wrote: »

Well there is a overall plot reveal to explain the origins of the parks but maybe you just don't find it interesting. Season 2 starts out pretty muddled but it turns out the various figures behind the park and its funding all had different ideas for it. Some wanted to create a new species, others were interested in immortality, and some just wanted to fuck pretty robots.

That... Does not address any of my criticisms?

Also, it's not like I just watched the pilot and dipped. I watched an entire season of the show, and it never once interacted meaningfully with the genre whose aesthetics the show was steeped in, nor did it interrogate any themes of race and how it intersects with media. It used Natives as violent punctuation in scenes and absolutely nothing else.

The show eventually did an episode that folded some tropes from Native stories (or, more accurately, what white folks consider to be "Native stories") into their entry-level scifi story, most of the way into their second season, but that really doesn't move the needle for me. The show does not give a shit about Natives, has never staffed a Native writer, and has no interest in Natives beyond how they contribute to the show's aesthetic.

I find the show to be fundamentally racist, extraordinarily incurious, and tedious.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I am finally finally watching Twin Peaks and am ready to join the decades-long discourse i.e. think pieces on how hard James Hurley fucking sucks

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am finally finally watching Twin Peaks and am ready to join the decades-long discourse i.e. think pieces on how hard James Hurley fucking sucks

Yeah but, how good is that coffee?

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    actually, james was always cool

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I see what's happening here, you haven't seen him sing yet. Don't worry, it'll turn it all around for you, and you'll feel real guilty about how mean you were to James.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Almost a billion dollars being spent on making the LOTR show

This show is the Star Citizen of TV and as with Star Citizen, I'll believe it's a real thing* when I see it.

*yes I'm aware that parts of Star Citizen are playable and exist

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The season 2 James arc is so stupid that ot wraps back around to genius.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.