As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

far right riot in DC

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yyyeah

it gets dicey when a thing has been around long enough that fanboys of the first years have an opportunity to get hired on to work on it

literacy is hard

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    That's extremely funny.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I started looking up real-world examples of this because I vaguely recall Nazi Germany having some kind of religion based around the Fuehrer as the head of the religion and came across the wiki article about it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi_Germany

What's depressing is how similar it is to modern things like the conservative bible project.

Dr Zoellner and [Catholic Bishop of Munster] Count Galen have tried to make clear to me that Christianity consists in faith in Christ as the son of God. That makes me laugh... No, Christianity is not dependent upon the Apostle's Creed... True Christianity is represented by the party, and the German people are now called by the party and especially the Fuehrer to a real Christianity... the Fuehrer is the herald of a new revelation."
    — Hans Kerrl, Nazi Minister for Church Affairs, 1937

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    yyyeah

it gets dicey when a thing has been around long enough that fanboys of the first years have an opportunity to get hired on to work on it

literacy is hard

christ almighty this dude is a train wreck

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    yyyeah

literacy is hard

christ almighty this dude is a train wreck

Just like a train wreck it would be fascinating to watch, if it weren't so many of them!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Verhoeven puts so much thought into making a political message with his films and this dude just pretending it's about some gunslinging robot shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Verhoeven puts so much thought into making a political message with his films and this dude just pretending it's about some gunslinging robot shit.

Well yeah, he's pretending and trying to "own the libs"

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Damn, he got me

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i had a friend who pined for weeks about this date he went on that he messed up and stumbled his way through and how she was such a great woman and gosh if only he could have had a do-over and not been so bashful etc etc, up until she got a job working for Ian, at which point he never spoke of her again

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The thing about 40K is its ridiculous and insane, you shouldn't want to live there in real life because its horrifying. Even if you were a Space Marine and not a disposable imperial guard, your likely in constant pain from the gene seed transfer and I think your blood is also acid?

The emperor of man is the extreme of order, just like the chaos gods are the extreme of chaos. You never want to go fully in one direction. Living in the 40K universe would be a nightmare for the 2 days you live before your planet is terraformed or glasses or invaded by chaos or invaded by Orks or Tyranids or one of the other horrid murder groups roaming the galaxy.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Yeah the absolute lack of reading comprehension or understanding that yeah robocop has themes and shit and that like the imperium are the bad guys, cause in 40k there are no good guys, is actually way more critical to our problems than some might think.

Sleep on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Unless you're lucky enough to be a human on a pre-grimdarking of the lore Tau planet, they used to be pretty cool but I read somewhere they made them a lot lamer and secretly evil now, because GW can't allow anything in their universe to escape the ghastly soul-sucking grasp of chudification

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Themes are for 8th grade book reports

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I've never progressed more than an elementary level of knowledge and enthusiasm of 40k because just everything about the fiction sounds exhausting.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    My favorite part is that they can’t even keep up the act for one tweet, they have to include a “if you don’t think literally at all for a second” clause at the end because robocop is so hammer to head unsubtle

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Basic media analyses eluding most people is a direct consequence of sidelining critical theory and the humanities in education and people would really benefit from a mandatory woo-woo film class in high school to help them recognize metaphors

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I've never progressed more than an elementary level of knowledge and enthusiasm of 40k because just everything about the fiction sounds exhausting.

All I really need to know is that someone should kill the Emperor, because it sets off one of several massive changes to the universe where humanity is either better off or completely annihilated, but either way the stagnation ends and things start moving again instead of sinking deeper into grimdark swamp.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

As with many things taught in primary school, I feel like there is often an absence of a why, or an explanation of any future relevance, which does make this sort of thing feel true. You write about themes because that's what you do in your 8th grade book report, absent of any intent beyond that.

• Options
    i'm kinda fascinated by satire that maybe fails because it's too good

like with starship troopers and fight club, which both are beat-you-over-the-head obvious with their themes but they're also so slick and cool-looking that you can overlook what the directors/writers are clearly getting at without too much trouble if you're motivated to

i do not understand how you could see fight club and think that it's a sincere endorsement of a strongman-worshipping unthinkingly hostile idea of masculinity, but a lot of people do, so something's going on there

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    me, hearing about 1984: this is about how twitter bans are bad

me, watching robocop: it aint that deep

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    IMC is not only the dumbest fuck, but he is very disingenuous. He talks about US politics as if he lives here, but he's lived in Malaysia his whole life.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's like when people start saying wildass stuff like, "Why is Star Trek all liberal/political now?"

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Trump and his chumps are chaotic evil

The GOP and most of the Democrats and the rest of the establishment including cops are lawful evil

Lawful evil has no more use for this bit of chaos, because they got what they wanted when Trump got them their judges and also continued being Trump and did the coup

• Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    It's like when people start saying wildass stuff like, "Why is Star Trek all liberal/political now?"

a16y9rvv7gt8.jpg
    they're just sci-fi stories about a cool spaceship, they're not trying to do any kind of commentary

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Yeah the absolute lack of reading comprehension or understanding that yeah robocop has themes and shit and that like the imperium are the bad guys, cause in 40k there are no good guys, is actually way more critical to our problems than some might think.

I see far too many Jokers and Ricks at conventions. Even Rick will tell you not to imitate Rick.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

i hate those fucks so much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

As with many things taught in primary school, I feel like there is often an absence of a why, or an explanation of any future relevance, which does make this sort of thing feel true. You write about themes because that's what you do in your 8th grade book report, absent of any intent beyond that.

Also it's always the same books, year after year, forever. So you end up with swaths of people thinking themes and other analytical things are just for those specific works rather than other things.

On the other end you have the much smaller number of people that see importance in significance in every last thing. At this point I'd post the video somebody around the forums posted of a guy pretending to be an anime fanboy explaining the deep significance of cleavage and how it ties to the Grapes of Wrath or something and then the creator goes "I just wanted to see some boobies" but I can't find it.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options

4tw5ohem2i93.jpg

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Metaphors? I hate metaphors. That’s why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    expendable wrote: »

Also it's always the same books, year after year, forever. So you end up with swaths of people thinking themes and other analytical things are just for those specific works rather than other things.

On the other end you have the much smaller number of people that see importance in significance in every last thing. At this point I'd post the video somebody around the forums posted of a guy pretending to be an anime fanboy explaining the deep significance of cleavage and how it ties to the Grapes of Wrath or something and then the creator goes "I just wanted to see some boobies" but I can't find it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ke1YKF3tNCE&feature=emb_title

Brolo on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

4tw5ohem2i93.jpg
    What is this from by the way? I appreciate all applications of it as a meme but I dunno its original source.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

4tw5ohem2i93.jpg
    What is this from by the way? I appreciate all applications of it as a meme but I dunno its original source.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ke1YKF3tNCE&feature=emb_title

Yes! That's the one.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

On the one hand: Yes, $2,000 minus $600 is $1,400, so that math checks out.

On the other hand: I'm not entirely sure the American people will appreciate the distinction, especially since nobody on the Dem side clarified that this is how the checks would work, and also, it's an extra $600 for a one time payout, don't be a dick, Joe.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
  • Options

On the one hand: Yes, $2,000 minus $600 is $1,400, so that math checks out.

On the other hand: I'm not entirely sure the American people will appreciate the distinction, especially since nobody on the Dem side clarified that this is how the checks would work, and also, it's an extra $600 for a one time payout, don't be a dick, Joe.

where's my fuckin' money joe

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Whose Ezra Klein again

This discussion has been closed.