As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All [birds], all the time!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Wow, that is a lot of duck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    a man

broken image link
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, that is a lot of duck.

*Schedules a Meeting with Long Boi.*
    -Nike founder, Phil Knight and University of Oregon Ducks.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Most adorable thing today: out on the bird feeder a tiny sparrow fledgling? maybe a little older was perched facing away from the feeder.

Someone had very clearly landed then had no idea how to get down. Kept doing little movements like it couldn't figure out how to take off.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    So apparently the largest hummingbird is a lot larger than I thought they would be.

"having a wingspan of approximately 21.5 cm (8.5 in) and length of 23 cm (9.1 in). This is approximately the same length as a European starling or a northern cardinal,"

p7xntvohxkwb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uumwdKBkV28
    Here is a video of a completely different species of hummingbird, the wire-crested thorntail, doing a mating display thing because it's very cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzhYgsBNBo

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    aw poor kitties being harassed by a goose

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Can I share my bird pictures here? My neighbor feeds them (a lot) so when I went out to grill dinner last night I took some pictures.

4k15071gji8v.jpg

zxru5kfb8prc.jpg

70hq8n34buz0.jpg

dwy066cmehmo.jpg

guh5p9ubo784.jpg

8h59nstmeetd.jpg

066zcdrz6jg1.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Do you live in Arizona, LL? I see mourning doves all over the fucking place here.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Do you live in Arizona, LL? I see mourning doves all over the fucking place here.

Maine actually. We have a group of about five of them that seem to enjoy eating what fails out of the feeders.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Can I share my bird pictures here?

i don't think bird pictures are appropriate for the bird thread, try the podcasts thread instead

broken image link
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Those are great shots!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I will never NOT look at a bird!

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That is an absolutely gorgeous male yellow bellied sapsucker. Or at least my amateur bird identification skills have settled on that as the species, though I guess it could be a red-naped sapsucker but they're not supposed to live in the eastern United States and the yellow bellied do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i love mourning doves so gatdanged much but i hate seeing one alone it just ruins my week

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Lindsay, that is a perfect shot of the Nuthatch! You really captured its characteristic pose. Well done (on all of them)!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Lindsay, that is a perfect shot of the Nuthatch! You really captured its characteristic pose. Well done (on all of them)!

Thanks - it's the first time I've taken pictures of birds (outside of zoos). My mother feeds the birds, so I thought she'd like to see what we get "on the mainland" as she lives on an island off the coast. Turns out the titmouse is one that doesn't make it out there. Fortunately, a few years back we bought a camera with 50x optical zoom, so that helps (aside from my shaking hands!).

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Nuthatches are the best! Somehow more adorable than a chickadee and cares not for gravity. Here's one that absconded my head...

49174300131_f7121199a5_c.jpg

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Here are some birbs from around here...
    vkyq1chhjfuq.jpg
    nmy458xw85ia.jpg
    5u89v2pdogok.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    And another couple...
    nhtkkz3932dp.jpg
    7usdq6mgcc9y.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Not the best pictures, but what I was able to do with my phone.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Befriend some local crows and make it known that you are willing to exchange nuts for DSLR cameras.

• Options
    i may have nuthatches but they also may be black capped chickadees

how to tell?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    a bird made a nest in the hanging flower planter thing right outside my front door

it keeps flying away when I come outside and I'm like, "no, be friend!"

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

how to tell?

nuthatches have longer beaks and will walk right up the side of a tree

there are other ways to tell, but that's what springs to mind immediately

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    a bird made a nest in the hanging flower planter thing right outside my front door

it keeps flying away when I come outside and I'm like, "no, be friend!"

A couple of birds (house sparrows?) made a mud nest in the corner of the underside of the balcony by my apartment front door which was cute until the eggs hatched and they swooped at me when I used my door.

Then after a big storm it fell down to the sidewalk and one of my neighbors rescued it and put it in a hanging planter she put right outside my window. Baby left the nest like 2 days later.

Still waiting to see if they try again this year.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    We've gotten in the habit of taking any meat that goes bad in the fridge and leaving it in our back yard. That way it doesn't stink up the garbage and while its no longer good for human consumption, its still within the tolerance of wild scavenders.

Slimey chicken and stale sausage makes the corvids happy. Once a whole filet of salmon went bad before we cooked it and that one brought a very dapper vulture to visit!

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

how to tell?

nuthatches have longer beaks and will walk right up the side of a tree

there are other ways to tell, but that's what springs to mind immediately

Chickadees also say their own name, like a Pokemon.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

how to tell?

This is a Chickadee:
    51103948880_bdf7d596b5_c.jpgReady to Fly by Seth Bull, on Flickr
    51102919514_192b8a3ec1_c.jpgAlert Chickadee by Seth Bull, on Flickr

They tend to look rounder than nuthatches.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    i'm just gonna call them chica-hatches

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    My random web searching claims that Chickadees do not have the eye stripe of the Nuthatch. So (from top to bottom) Chickadees have black-white-black heads while Nuthatches have black-white-black-white heads.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

how to tell?
    4k15071gji8v.jpg

guh5p9ubo784.jpg

First picture: black-capped chickadee. Very borb with big head. Tends to hang out on branches. Says "chicka-dee-dee-dee" (you may just hear "dee-dee-dee") and "fee-bee" a lot, and often makes complex gurgle-beeps. A bit more social, so if you see one chickadee you're likely to see a few others around too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfMsUuU9KtQ

Second picture: white-breasted nuthatch. A little larger and longer, no beard/bib. Tends to hang out on the trunks. Most common call is a rapid "hatch-hatch-hatch" or "awk-awk-awk." Often alone or just with a mate (males have shiny black caps on their heads, and females slate-gray caps - it's hard to tell unless they're side by side.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ9iMT-Yb0Q

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I would like to speak to the bird manager right away, how was this allowed to happen?

Text: So apparently I'm the last person on earth to know that owls have long legs underneath all those fluffy feathers. Why didn't y'all tell me?!
    Photo: Owls being exposed as the early Merrie Melodies weirdos they are, and apparently always have been

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    My parents' house has an old milk door - that is, a small rectangular door about a foot wide in the exterior wall. In ye olden days it would have been used for milk deliveries, but currently it just opens into a pocket in the exterior wall. The latch is long gone, leaving a round hole a couple of inches in diameter.

A pair of starlings has been nesting behind the door for quite a few years now, using the hole as an entrance. One year it started to smell inside the house and the parents stopped coming to the nest, so my mom and I investigated. We found two dead nestlings neatly stacked against the door and one living chick still in the nest. We removed the bodies but didn't disturb anything else. Within days, the parents came back, and the surviving baby fledged a week later. I think about that sometimes - how the parents were driven from the nest by the rotting corpses, but must have still been watching closely enough to know it was safe to come back and care for their last nestling.

This year's brood was audibly peeping when I visited my folks last weekend :heartbeat:

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

how to tell?

well, there's some characteristic behaviors to look out for:

bam8hexy4s7r.jpg

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Wait.

It's Nut Hatch? I thought it was a rolled TH sound in the middle, nuTHatch. Like the word nothing but ending in atch instead of ing.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Wait.

It's Nut Hatch? I thought it was a rolled TH sound in the middle, nuTHatch. Like the word nothing but ending in atch instead of ing.

ha ha dumb

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    We pronounce it like that in our house for a laugh, I was going to mention it earlier.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »

how to tell?

This is a Chickadee:
    51103948880_bdf7d596b5_c.jpgReady to Fly by Seth Bull, on Flickr
    51102919514_192b8a3ec1_c.jpgAlert Chickadee by Seth Bull, on Flickr

They tend to look rounder than nuthatches.

a carolina chickadee!

they have that dingy yellowish patch below their wing. Northern chickadees have a grayer patch of feathers there

thus begins and ends the entirety of my bird knowledge