As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2021: Coup Harder

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    https://krdo.com/news/2021/01/13/lauren-boeberts-twitter-account-locked-until-inauguration-day/

Local station reporting Lauren Boebart's twitter has been locked until after inauguration.
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) -- Twitter has locked Rep. Lauren Boebert's account for nearly a week until the end of Inauguration Day.

Twitter said the Colorado Republican had tweets that "violated the Twitter Rules" but didn't specify which ones.

"She violated the Twitter rules."
    "Which ones?"
    "Yes."

They have a problem with the free market deciding now? Man if only they had ever been for regulation.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The fascists will probably go to gab now. Or they'll try, since gab seems a self-hosted fork of mastodon? Can't imagine it can take any big amount of users without croaking.

Mastadon allows instance owners to de-list other instances. Gab tried this and pretty much all the decent ones went "hahaha no fuck you". So Gab's in it's own little self hosted bubble.

yeah gab is it's own little fash community that's being blocked by most other mastodon networks, but that isn't stopping them really- and they get all the benefits of open source mastodon development.

still, they'll probably DDOS themselves if users join in numbers- and much like parler, no one stops anyone from joining to monitor them

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So amazon is dropping some of the shit it has on parler for the lawsuit that was lobbed against them I guess:

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-court-filing-includes-chilling-death-threats-pub-1846048394

Boy the parler people sure didn't think this lawsuit through

This discovery is going to be one for the record books.

Well... probably not. Amazon already has all of Parlers data so there isn’t a lot to discover. So unless Parler kept internal data that was worse and haven’t been spending their time destroying it it seems unlikely.

The lawsuit where they’re all “yes this is the shit you put on our server and asked us to host” though....

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I feel like this pic is *peak* Guard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/kwkgu2/defending_dc_sponsored_by_reign/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

It’s the energy drink sitting on the bust of George Washington that does it for me.

News popup saying the Guard footprint for this week will be going up to twenty thousand troops. That is an insane number, and something like quadruple the number for Obama’s inauguration (to get an idea of what “normal” looks like).

So the good news is that everybody seems to be taking this very, very seriously and nobody will be catching the Capitol off guard again.

Though I’m legitimately curious if those soldiers were given any ammunition to go with those rifles. It’s not uncommon for the answer to be “no.”

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/army/comments/kwkgu2/defending_dc_sponsored_by_reign/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

It’s the energy drink sitting on the bust of George Washington that does it for me.

News popup saying the Guard footprint for this week will be going up to twenty thousand troops. That is an insane number, and something like quadruple the number for Obama’s inauguration (to get an idea of what “normal” looks like).

So the good news is that everybody seems to be taking this very, very seriously and nobody will be catching the Capitol off guard again.

Though I’m legitimately curious if those soldiers were given any ammunition to go with those rifles. It’s not uncommon for the answer to be “no.”

My wife read an article that said yeah they have been given ammo and authorization should it come to that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    She can go on parl..oh wait

Of course she was quoted as saying it's radical democrats and the hollywood elite responsible for the calls for her to resign. Don't flatter yourself lady. It's actually regular old Coloradans who are deeply embarassed by your bullshit and ruining the name of a perfectly fine I70 town like Rifle.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Autocorrect is my grate store.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i believe the "increased" security for Trump's inauguration in 2016 was bumping from 5,000 troops to 7,000, for comparison

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So amazon is dropping some of the shit it has on parler for the lawsuit that was lobbed against them I guess:

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-court-filing-includes-chilling-death-threats-pub-1846048394

They accused Amazon of a double standard for not shutting down Twitter, a company to whom Amazon does not provide service.

So, no, they clearly did not.

Twitter and AWS recently signed a multiple year agreement; https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/15/twitter-taps-aws-for-its-latest-foray-into-the-public-cloud/

That said the Parler of case is of course absolute garbage that has zero merit due to the AUP and TOS they signed, and the fact that Amazon’s decision had obviously nothing to do with protecting Twitter.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Autocorrect is my grate store.

Sleep on just one leopard...

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

They accused Amazon of a double standard for not shutting down Twitter, a company to whom Amazon does not provide service.

Twitter and AWS recently signed a multiple year agreement; https://techcrunch.com/2020/12/15/twitter-taps-aws-for-its-latest-foray-into-the-public-cloud/

That said the Parler of case is of course absolute garbage that has zero merit due to the AUP and TOS they signed, and the fact that Amazon’s decision had obviously nothing to do with protecting Twitter.

argue about the adequacy of it, but a notable difference is Twitter has taken action against many who have violated their terms of service instead of advertising themselves as the home base for racists and nazis

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

This discovery is going to be one for the record books.

*history books

• Options
    Yeah banning Boebert from twitter is a big deal for her since she’s just a deranged reality tv star wannabe addicted to attention who rose to “prominence” because of the gross entertainment value her antics provide

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

It's about half the troop level deployed to all of Iraq after the 2010 withdrawal agreement. Which was a bit below 40k.

• Options

Jason Crow is one of the good reps from Colorado.

Some of my Republican colleagues are afraid of the consequences of an impeachment vote.

This congress sends our young men & women to war.

Not asking my colleagues to storm the beaches of Normandy, only to show a fraction of the courage we ask of our troops.

It’s time to lead.

I mean this is true you can send men and women to war you can stand up to the monster you created.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The silly conspiracy theory I've is that all the major tech companies are colluding to kill competition and the unique historical event is just an excuse.

Which is just... yeah.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Ah, my mistake. Was just going off of AWS saying that they do not host the offending content:
    Erk5E2ZXEAEql0T?format=png&name=large

(If that embed works?)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The #HangMikePence hashtag wasn't exhortation to hang Mike Pence. It was reporting what the insurrectionists wanted to do.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, as per current SOP, I decided to check the Trumpist forums, and noticed some odd things.

Their rhetoric used "hang" a lot. Like, a fucking loooooot. No thread went without calls to hang traitors and democrats and liberals. 100% guaranteed any post with more than 100 replies had at least one call to hang someone, or worse.

But... now it doesn't. At all. I searched their top (most upvoted) thread and found ONE use of it (there's a few uses of 'hanging out' and words like change show up).

Odd.

So I looked back to older threads... and they're gone. Wiped clean. Nothing shows up that's more than 7 days old.

They're still defiant, but it seems an awful lot like an admission of knowing they've done fucked up.

And this being the internet, obviously it's never truly gone. Above and beyond what digital forensics might be done, I'm guessing/hoping that enterprising souls and law enforcement agencies (during their working time at least) were taking into evidence some of the very clear and vocal calls for imminent violence. (obvious snark about some of them being among those posting the threats during their off time)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Do we have any indication about when an actual vote is happening today?

• Options

3:45 est, 12 45 pst

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    So, as per current SOP, I decided to check the Trumpist forums, and noticed some odd things.

Their rhetoric used "hang" a lot. Like, a fucking loooooot. No thread went without calls to hang traitors and democrats and liberals. 100% guaranteed any post with more than 100 replies had at least one call to hang someone, or worse.

But... now it doesn't. At all. I searched their top (most upvoted) thread and found ONE use of it (there's a few uses of 'hanging out' and words like change show up).

Odd.

So I looked back to older threads... and they're gone. Wiped clean. Nothing shows up that's more than 7 days old.

They're still defiant, but it seems an awful lot like an admission of knowing they've done fucked up.

And this being the internet, obviously it's never truly gone. Above and beyond what digital forensics might be done, I'm guessing/hoping that enterprising souls and law enforcement agencies (during their working time at least) were taking into evidence some of the very clear and vocal calls for imminent violence. (obvious snark about some of them being among those posting the threats during their off time)

Legal liability has a way of clearing the mind. Before it was just LARPing with no consequences. Because that's how it's gone for white supremacists in America.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »
    US Representative Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ) did a 13 minute Facebook Live stream last night outlining some disturbing information, including that she saw several congress members giving guided "reconnaissance" tours the day before the riots, so people would know where to go during the insurrection.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2021/01/members-of-congress-give-reconnaissance-tours-a-day-before-attack-on-us-capitol-rep-mikie-sherrill-says.html

Would still like to know who did the tours.
    Just name drop and let people try to defend themselves.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It's in the impeachment thread title. I'll try to keep it up to date when parliamentary procedural bullshit happens, but these are work hours.

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

It's in the impeachment thread title. I'll try to keep it up to date when parliamentary procedural bullshit happens, but these are work hours.

Oh shi-

Completely forgot about that thread. Off I go.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Incenjucar wrote: »

The silly conspiracy theory I've is that all the major tech companies are colluding to kill competition and the unique historical event is just an excuse.

Which is just... yeah.

The dumbest part isn’t that they collude, they’ve already gotten in trouble for that (but it was to put a lid on worker pay)

Or that they want to kill competition

The dumbest part is thinking they needed an excuse

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Why don't the military members simply force themselves into local homes and demand room and board, as is their traditional right?

:mrgreen:

The pawn is covered by the rook? I feel like I am missing the joke in some way.

@Inquisitor additional context - that guy is someone who is (possibly/probably tongue in cheek?) Obsessed with the 3rd amendment and posts nothing but memes about how soldiers can’t quarter in his home

I find them delightful

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    I wonder if "sleep with your finger on the trigger, while pointing the gun at your buddy" is considered good firearms discipline in the National Guard?

osmrivkt0zpp.jpg

Even without a mag in, that's ... worrying.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Slightly unrelated, but about the ability for the military able to sleep on marble.

When I was forward deployed on a carrier, my birth was just before the #4 wire. This means that when an aircraft missed #3, the tail hook would sometimes strike our ceiling so hard it would "bounce" over #4 and we got nothing but afterburner as it went around. Also we were right by the #2 catapult so all that engine thrust would rattle our overhead when it whipped around the Jet Blast Defector.

I can sleep an easy 8 during that.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    The trigger well is higher up, but yeah he shouldn’t be sleeping with his hand on the grip either

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have less than no sympathy for GOP representatives fearing the mobs they riled up for years.

As AOC pointed out on Twitter, she and her colleagues were facing death threats for years and they were still expected to show up and do their damn job. If they are too afraid to do a single vote then they should resign.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The trigger well is higher up, but yeah he shouldn’t be sleeping with his hand on the grip either

I mean, ideally they wouldn’t be sleeping crowded next to each other with their guns in the first place.

That whole situation is a safety, logistical, and planning nightmare.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I wanted to comment on the MREs vs ordering 15,000 pizzas talk:

At this point those Guard units have to treat DC as hostile territory - potential enemies could be anyone in the city. You don't order 15,000 pizzas in hostile territory because poison can be just as effective as a bullet. MREs have a chain of custody and are much harder to tamper with on a large scale.

Whether the MREs are poison or not, they're at least un-tampered with...

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

At this point those Guard units have to treat DC as hostile territory - potential enemies could be anyone in the city. You don't order 15,000 pizzas in hostile territory because poison can be just as effective as a bullet. MREs have a chain of custody and are much harder to tamper with on a large scale.

*Veggie Omelet MRE has entered the arena*

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

• Options

The logistics of making that many pizzas, or any other food, for that many people would probably be impossible anyhow. The amount of ingredients, ovens, and people to make and deliver it would be rather overwhelming. Assuming there’s even enough ingredients, by the time you feed the first half it will be well past time for the next meal.

Military logistics is insanely complex and I doubt civilian restaurants could handle it without a massive organized effort. MRE’s are the best option.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

So you made another one? That must be how they reproduce ...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That was my first one in basic.

Let me tell you, the vomit jokes aren't far off.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

The logistics of making that many pizzas, or any other food, for that many people would probably be impossible anyhow. The amount of ingredients, ovens, and people to make and deliver it would be rather overwhelming. Assuming there’s even enough ingredients, by the time you feed the first half it will be well past time for the next meal.

Military logistics is insanely complex and I doubt civilian restaurants could handle it without a massive organized effort. MRE’s are the best option.

Absolutely. I just also wanted to point out that we are at the stage of history where US Armed Forces being poisoned while defending the Capitol is a legitimate concern.

Shit's crazy

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/madison/2021/01/08/madison-cawthorn-says-he-armed-during-capitol-invasion-jan-6/6594808002/
    Madison Cawthorn says he was armed in Capitol during mob's invasion
    While laws banning the general public from carrying guns on Capitol grounds — regardless of whether they are registered with D.C. authorities of if the owner holds a valid concealed-carry permit — are clear, rules for lawmakers on where guns are permitted are murky. Washington Post reporting from 2018 states that “guns remain completely banned in the legislative chambers themselves and adjacent spaces, barring exceptions for the two sergeant at arms.”

It is unclear whether Cawthorn carried a loaded gun on the House floor or in parts of the Capitol where rules for lawmakers carrying firearms are more permissible. Whether his office secured the permission necessary for the Henderson County native to have unrestricted access to guns inside the halls of Congress remains unanswered.
    I absolutely do not trust any GOP Congressperson with a gun.

I know i'm like 6 pages late on this reply but...

I am so fucking sick and tired of NC11's congressmen being in the news for shit like this. My district is the laughing stock of the country. I still don't understand how this asshole got more votes than Moe Davis.

This discussion has been closed.