Options

2021: Coup Harder

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    I'm liking this Meijer guy more and more.

He's probably out of the party before february.
    I mean, I'm sure he's just good at keeping the quiet part quiet. Which used to be the norm, pre-Fox News and Gingrich.

I wonder what all of these National Guard folks think about people spreading pictures of them sleeping over the Internet. :surprised: It's kinda creepy.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

He's an anti-union DeVos ally (because West Michigan + owns Meijer) and extremely evangelical (again, because West Michigan). But I might be able to have a conversation with him, which I guess is nice.
    If he's willing to acknowledge some level of reality, I'm willing to grant him a chance to be talked at to be convinced to do good things in the government and not bad things. I'll use less curse words than usual and the ones I would use wouldn't be directly being thrown at HIM as insults, more like going "helping people is fucking good, y'know" type stuff.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Autocorrect is my greatest foe.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

That section of Michigan (same district as Amash) is more earnest classic conservative (smaller government, personal freedom, anti-abortion single issue), which tends to push back against the more vile aspects of the Republican party. If they weren't so hung up on their single issue voting, they might be more inclined to vote in their best interest.

I love the coherence in their logic. "The government should be smaller to maximize personal freedoms. Except freedom for women, the government needs to be bigger and step in to restrict those!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Last time soldiers bivouacked in the Capitol was...the 1860s.

I think this was the most symbolic picture yet I saw about this situation, via a reporter at HuffPost (the quoted picture is from a NYTimes Photographer):

That plaque on the right commemorates the troops that were quartered in the US Capitol during the Civil War (companies from MA, NY, PA, and DC)

Wow. Now THAT picture is definitely going to be in some history book.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Note the person on the left using the bottom stair as an elevated pillow. That's field-craft!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Checking in on the law and order party

jj2kk69flbpd.jpg

Screenshot is Twitter thread by Matt Fuller, huffpo writer that covers congress.

Sorry bogart!

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    hmmmm.. apparently, panic buttons are generally designed in a way that "ripping them out" should trigger the alarm.

so if someone did that, it was someone with knowledge of how to prevent that

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I mean, I'm sure he's just good at keeping the quiet part quiet. Which used to be the norm, pre-Fox News and Gingrich.

I wonder what all of these National Guard folks think about people spreading pictures of them sleeping over the Internet. :surprised: It's kinda creepy.

It’s common. Guard activations are often news stories, whether it’s civil unrest or a forest fire. You just get used to the idea that you may wind up being photographed pretty much whenever. You kinda realize that you are prop as much as a person.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Note the person on the left using the bottom stair as an elevated pillow. That's field-craft!

Im not military but ive used a stair as a pillow before. When you're in a situation where you are using a stair as a pillow, its a welcome luxury!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah I was just coming to the thread to post that there are Republicans ignoring cops asking them to stop for the wand-down and subsequent removal of metallic objects.

So much for the party of "law and order."

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Yeah I was just coming to the thread to post that there are Republicans ignoring cops asking them to stop for the wand-down and subsequent removal of metallic objects.

for other people, duh!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Not their laws, so it doesn't count.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Source your tweets, for the love of God.
    For the screenshot above it's a HuffPost guy.

My source was going to be a Playboy writer and I figured the above was better for the forum. <.<

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m just gonna add that Boebert is probably one of the few reps who are actually worse than electing a Paul brother

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

That section of Michigan (same district as Amash) is more earnest classic conservative (smaller government, personal freedom, anti-abortion single issue), which tends to push back against the more vile aspects of the Republican party. If they weren't so hung up on their single issue voting, they might be more inclined to vote in their best interest.

I love the coherence in their logic. "The government should be smaller to maximize personal freedoms. Except freedom for women, the government needs to be bigger and step in to restrict those!"

More government for thee, not for me.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    The thing that worries me is that all these troops are there and while they seem to have basic cloth face coverings, there's (understandably) not a lot of social distancing going on. Lots of bodies from all over the country isn't good.

At least the interior spaces are relatively large and hopefully they are pretty far along vaccinating the Reps / Senators and their staffers but I just recoil seeing groups of people close together anymore.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Drew Hammill is the Deputy Chief of Staff for Nancy Pelosi. This is a good picture.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    The thing that worries me is that all these troops are there and while they seem to have basic cloth face coverings, there's (understandably) not a lot of social distancing going on. Lots of bodies from all over the country isn't good.

At least the interior spaces are relatively large and hopefully they are pretty far along vaccinating the Reps / Senators and their staffers but I just recoil seeing groups of people close together anymore.

i dunno if it's justified or not, what vaccination policy is currently for active duty, etc

but regardless my visceral reaction to crowds now is just revulsion

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I don't know if it passed (probably did), but last night the House was supposed to adopt a rule fining members who did not wear a mask on the floor $500 (first offense) and $2500 (second offense). Not sure if "3rd+" just continued the same fine, and it would be deducted from their salary.

Just do the same thing for bypassing the metal detector rules and I'm sure compliance would go up pretty quick.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Drew Hammill is the Deputy Chief of Staff for Nancy Pelosi. This is a good picture.

God I can already hear the complaints "Why did she have them line up just to say something, she's so rude."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I mean, if we've learned anything from the past five years, it's that we want them to be under intense pressure to keep the quiet part quiet. Unless/until we can make massive constitutional changes, we will always have a two party system, and one of those parties will always be the conservative party. I'd much rather they feel obligated to pay respect to democratic norms. Because if/when a Mitt Romney type gets into power, it sucks and it sets us back, but it doesn't threaten the entire country with a collapse into authoritarianism. And some level of that is probably about the best we can hope for from the opposition party.

In any case, this attempted coup shows the power of rhetoric and why it's important to keep it in check.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So amazon is dropping some of the shit it has on parler for the lawsuit that was lobbed against them I guess:

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-court-filing-includes-chilling-death-threats-pub-1846048394

Boy the parler people sure didn't think this lawsuit through

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I don't know if it passed (probably did), but last night the House was supposed to adopt a rule fining members who did not wear a mask on the floor $500 (first offense) and $2500 (second offense). Not sure if "3rd+" just continued the same fine, and it would be deducted from their salary.

Just do the same thing for bypassing the metal detector rules and I'm sure compliance would go up pretty quick.

my understanding is that is in effect as part of the new mask requirement rule

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    hmmmm.. apparently, panic buttons are generally designed in a way that "ripping them out" should trigger the alarm.

Depends on the design. Spending a decent portion of the last decade being locked in small spaces with 8+ figures of negotiable instruments, I have extensive experience with a variety of them. Most can be circumvented with a large enough paper clip to keep the circuit from opening when you remove the switch itself.

You do need a few tries to get it down, but not that hard to pick up, sadly.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Depends on the design. Spending a decent portion of the last decade being locked in small spaces with 8+ figures of negotiable instruments, I have extensive experience with a variety of them. Most can be circumvented with a large enough paper clip to keep the circuit from closing when you remove the switch itself.

Hmm.. Still, multiple panic buttons suddenly going missing without alarm? That's very concerning

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So amazon is dropping some of the shit it has on parler for the lawsuit that was lobbed against them I guess:

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-court-filing-includes-chilling-death-threats-pub-1846048394

This discovery is going to be one for the record books.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

They accused Amazon of a double standard for not shutting down Twitter, a company to whom Amazon does not provide service.

So, no, they clearly did not.

• Options

Depends on the design. Spending a decent portion of the last decade being locked in small spaces with 8+ figures of negotiable instruments, I have extensive experience with a variety of them. Most can be circumvented with a large enough paper clip to keep the circuit from closing when you remove the switch itself.

Hmm.. Still, multiple panic buttons suddenly going missing without alarm? That's very concerning

True, especially if it's multiple offices/different zones of the building, then you'd have to have insiders doing it.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    https://krdo.com/news/2021/01/13/lauren-boeberts-twitter-account-locked-until-inauguration-day/

Local station reporting Lauren Boebart's twitter has been locked until after inauguration.
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) -- Twitter has locked Rep. Lauren Boebert's account for nearly a week until the end of Inauguration Day.

Twitter said the Colorado Republican had tweets that "violated the Twitter Rules" but didn't specify which ones.

• Options
    Considering where her base comes from, digital punishment is pretty much actual martyrdom.

• Options
    She can go on parl..oh wait

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2021

I triggered one in a doctor's office while redoing some cat-5 outlets and can confirm. They're a permanently closed circuit, pressing the button opens the circuit and triggers the alarm. Going, "Wait, this isn't on the chart. Hey, Dan, I'm pulling on a paired red wire, what's it connected to on your end!?" will also open the circuit and set off the alarm.

Obviously not every security system is going to be the same, but every panic button I've seen is on a continuous circuit with the anti-tamper triggers, basically if you break any part of the circuit to try to disable the alarm (or just fuck around with it because it's in your conduit and you don't know who put it there), it instead triggers it.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The contract Parler would have signed with AWS would have absolutely included a Terms of Service, of which either party would be allowed to void the contract.

So, no.

They did not.

For even a second.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

It kind of implies that they were likely removed awhile ago and either the current office owner wasn't informed, or was, but it got lost down some email chain rabbit hole. At least that's what I'm hoping anyway.

This discovery is going to be one for the record books.

I've been saying for days now that every person or company dealing with these assholes and their congressional republican supporters should be reading these tweets verbatim, loudly and publicly every single time someone tries to claim they're being silenced, or it's just a joke, or they weren't really going to do anything, or they were antifa. Good to see Amazon doing exactly that.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    The fascists will probably go to gab now. Or they'll try, since gab seems a self-hosted fork of mastodon? Can't imagine it can take any big amount of users without croaking.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    https://krdo.com/news/2021/01/13/lauren-boeberts-twitter-account-locked-until-inauguration-day/

Local station reporting Lauren Boebart's twitter has been locked until after inauguration.
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) -- Twitter has locked Rep. Lauren Boebert's account for nearly a week until the end of Inauguration Day.

Twitter said the Colorado Republican had tweets that "violated the Twitter Rules" but didn't specify which ones.

"She violated the Twitter rules."
    "Which ones?"
    "Yes."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The fascists will probably go to gab now. Or they'll try, since gab seems a self-hosted fork of mastodon? Can't imagine it can take any big amount of users without croaking.

Mastadon allows instance owners to de-list other instances. Gab tried this and pretty much all the decent ones went "hahaha no fuck you". So Gab's in it's own little self hosted bubble.

This discussion has been closed.