As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WandaVision] Yakety Yak! Open Spoilers!

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The stones are the sources for everything in the universe, so it makes sense that some powers like magic would originate within them. But we're shown Wanda definitely had powers before hand, she just was powerleveled on XP by exposure to the stone.

Strange and his gang don't explicitly use the stones aside from the Eye which ended up being the Time Stone. They do however have a shitload of magical books that seem to contain dangerous magic, and one was missing from Wong's library...

If they’re going to go with 616
    The Dakrhold was written by the Elder God Cthon, brother to Mother Earth, who was sealed away eventually as the newer gods of earth grew into their own power (I think he might have fled reality first, with the Darkhold as his ticket back once it was safe). And his entire thing is being the god of Chaos Magic.

And the place he was sealed was Mount Wundegore, where the Maximoff twins were born... and where a portion of his power basically flooded into Wanda.

Which if even a portion of it carries into the MCU, would explain why Wanda is so terrifying to Agatha as the Scarlett Witch

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

But they knew what they were referencing with Quicksilver, and making it a fake out was a deliberate thing to do, otherwise they would have just cast Aaron Taylor-Johnson. They knew it would get speculation going.

Maybe. But it was pretty obvious by the end of episode 6 it was meant to be MCU Quicksilver. Anyone still holding the X-Pietro candle after that is on them.

No, it is not on anyone who thought it was quicksilver after any point in the show, they did nothing to explicitly say it was meant to be MCU quicksilver. They just should not have cast the xmen quicksilver in this. It was dumb and kind of mean, especially since we now have people basically making fun of fans who had at least the expectation that this would be the xmen quicksilver as if it was silly to expect it to actually be that quicksilver.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Idk I liked it, it was a very WTF moment. Am I sad it wasn't X-Pietro, for sure. But I think I agree that them rushing into a half-assed universe merge would have felt bad.

I doooo hope Evan gets to stick around and be Quicksilver though

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    For me, the speculation was fun even if our speculations went a whole lot crazier than what actually happened. I don't feel betrayed for getting teased or whatever. It was fun.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Idk I liked it, it was a very WTF moment. Am I sad it wasn't X-Pietro, for sure. But I think I agree that them rushing into a half-assed universe merge would have felt bad.

I doooo hope Evan gets to stick around and be Quicksilver though

For sure, rushing into it would be bad. They just shouldn't have used Evan Peters. If they had used pretty much anyone else I would have been 100% fine with the reveal that it didn't amount to anything.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Idk if this was his one chance to reprise the role within the MCU, I'd say they go for it anyways

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Maybe it's all a set up for later.

- Peters Quicksilver eventually into MCU
    - everyone keeps calling him Bohner
    - Quicksilver gains his comics version massive chip on his shoulder.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    One theory about the multi-verse is that there's always a counterpart, although they may not (and often aren't) the same.

I bet Ralph was our version of -that- version of Quicksilver, only obviously not the original Quicksilver in this universe and I bet Multiverse of Madness is going to touch on this.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    One theory about the multi-verse is that there's always a counterpart, although they may not (and often aren't) the same.

I bet Ralph was our version of -that- version of Quicksilver, only obviously not the original Quicksilver in this universe and I bet Multiverse of Madness is going to touch on this.

Yeah, my first thought was that. I had figured she simply borrowed vision and the kids from a neighboring universe. For the kids, that may still be the case.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

Yeah, my first thought was that. I had figured she simply borrowed vision and the kids from a neighboring universe. For the kids, that may still be the case.

Even if she didn't I bet there's a universe where they exist and Wanda probably died or something.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Yeah, my read on the post-credits scene was that she was basically doing what Kingpin was trying to do in Spiderverse and pull the kids from another reality, but obviously this is just speculation based on what little we know of the next Doctor Strange.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's part of marketing, guys. It gets you invested in the product.

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    It does, but I'll be less invested next time they do it. If there's some cliffhanger episode or crazy reveal in Falcon in a month, part of me will think it's probably just another meaningless thing, like X-Quicksilver was.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    @SniperGuy Are we going to just turn this into the Disney+ Marvel Shows Open Spoilers Thread?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I can't imagine falcon and winter soldier will be big on cliff hangers outside of like maybe a 24 style one of "oh no this guy betrayed the team what a bastard." Like if Sarah Clarke shows up I'm immediately putting a marker down on her being the mole!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Bad imagination.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Sure, Falcon was just an example, and something like Loki is more likely to have those kind of surprises or mysteries. My point was just that if they keep doing those setups without paying them off, then they stop being interesting.

And to be clear, I’m talking about things like Pietro and they way they teased Monica’s engineer fried for three episodes. Those things were structured as teases in the show. It’s different than people wondering whether Agatha was working for someone else - that was just a possibility that people considered. It’s not like they showed a mysterious human shadow in Agatha’s house a few times, and then it turns out she just has a mannequin or something.

borschevsky on
  • Options
    The Pietro thing was intentional. I really sincerely doubt the engineer friend was an intentionally misleading thing.

• Options
    I don’t know if it was intentional or not, but the way it was written definitely set it up as something to be revealed. Monica could just as easily have said “I bet my friend Betty Whatshername could help with this”, and then there’s no mystery.

Like, say they did want to set up a cameo or whatever. Would they have had to change the scene we got?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    @SniperGuy Are we going to just turn this into the Disney+ Marvel Shows Open Spoilers Thread?

I was wondering about that and that seems to be a good idea if everyone's okay with it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Depends on if you want to the quarantine the WandaVision discussion to it's own thread or not.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I was wondering about that and that seems to be a good idea if everyone's okay with it.

It's as a good idea as naming your sled "Rosebud".

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    All the red herrings were 100% intention. Down to the fact that the actresses hired for it have said as much!

MCU loves doing this stuff. Remember The Mandarin? They fucking got the toy lines to hide that one!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    All the red herrings were 100% intention. Down to the fact that the actresses hired for it have said as much!

MCU loves doing this stuff. Remember The Mandarin? They fucking got the toy lines to hide that one!

I mean sure they enjoy subverting expectations. Them doing a fakeout Mandarin does not mean the engineer friend was always meant to tease someone else. The actress likely just got bombarded with questions on social media and leaned into the "drama."

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I mean sure they enjoy subverting expectations. Them doing a fakeout Mandarin does not mean the engineer friend was always meant to tease someone else. The actress likely just got bombarded with questions on social media and leaned into the "drama."

Actually it was the opposite, she was trying to tamp down expectations as the hype train rolled on.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ah, that's Dottie. I thought you meant the actress who played the engineer character. The Dottie thing is potentially a misdirection I guess? I never really bought the line that she was significant. We're told as such by someone on screen... Perhaps Agnes? In any case with regards to the supposed engineer character, I think it's a case of people hearing something and wanting it to be something more than it is.

• Options
    If anything this whole show is a lesson to people. We all like to speculate and it's fun to do so, but you can't really get mad when you guess wrong or hype yourself up for something that there's no real indication is happening.

I can understand being disappointed in the Pietro thing, I'm right there with most people. The rest is heavily subjective.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The show contains only what it contains. If people are disappointed in their pet theory not coming true then that is their problem, not a problem with the show. I had loads of ideas myself, but I didn't make the show and nobody promised me a dang thing about making my theories true. I was rather pleased to not know how the show was going to end, actually.

Even with something like Pietro/Not Pietro, there was absolutely nothing to confirm he was a crossover thing or a mutant thing or anything, really. It could very well just have been something like how it used to be a common thing for scifi actors to guest star or join up with a different series, even multiple series. And I know people really really want mutants in the setting but until it happens, it isn't happening yet. Don't mess up your enjoyment of what we've got just because it wasn't exactly what you thought it should be.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

This already is the WandaVision thread. It isn't the MCU thread.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ah, that's Dottie. I thought you meant the actress who played the engineer character. The Dottie thing is potentially a misdirection I guess? I never really bought the line that she was significant. We're told as such by someone on screen... Perhaps Agnes? In any case with regards to the supposed engineer character, I think it's a case of people hearing something and wanting it to be something more than it is.
    Yeah, Dottie was never important. She was just in one episode and the whole thing was just her having petty party power.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah, Dottie was never important. She was just in one episode and the whole thing was just her having petty party power.

Um excuse me she was in two episodes before the finale like zomg

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I took Wanda's actions at the end to be something of a heel turn. I don't think she'll strictly be a "hero" moving forward.

Very much so, especially since she is studying the Darkhold, which drives most people evil.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

The MCU thread is specifically not open spoilers, though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The show contains only what it contains. If people are disappointed in their pet theory not coming true then that is their problem, not a problem with the show. I had loads of ideas myself, but I didn't make the show and nobody promised me a dang thing about making my theories true. I was rather pleased to not know how the show was going to end, actually.

Even with something like Pietro/Not Pietro, there was absolutely nothing to confirm he was a crossover thing or a mutant thing or anything, really. It could very well just have been something like how it used to be a common thing for scifi actors to guest star or join up with a different series, even multiple series. And I know people really really want mutants in the setting but until it happens, it isn't happening yet. Don't mess up your enjoyment of what we've got just because it wasn't exactly what you thought it should be.

If they weren't going to do something with xmen stuff they shouldn't have used Peter Evans. Plain as that. Just use some other random person not connected to the xmen franchise and have them be Pietro, problem solved. No one hoping it confirms an xmen teaser or anything even involving xmen.

The quicksilver stuff is only an issue because of the casting.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I liked the finale. It ended pretty much the only way it could have, so nothing was unexpected. But it was just a nice watch. Wrapped everything up ok. A neat little contained story that has new people with superpowers coming out the other side.

That the show as a whole was really really weird for half the runtime makes it overall one of the best things the MCU has had.

Shit, it made me like Vision. That alone should get it an award.

E: On the other hand:
    Stragint wrote: »

If they weren't going to do something with xmen stuff they shouldn't have used Peter Evans. Plain as that. Just use some other random person not connected to the xmen franchise and have them be Pietro, problem solved. No one hoping it confirms an xmen teaser or anything even involving xmen.

This is the one thing i'm mad about. It was a huge dick move. Felt like a mean-spirited prank, honestly.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Stragint wrote: »

I don't think it's an issue per se. I said up thread it feels like a missed opportunity for it to not be X-Pietro or atleast set-up something like that. And we still don't know, it could be! I'm sincerely hoping it means at the very least we get more Evan Peters, and if we don't that's ok too, I'm glad he got to play the character one more time. They're allowed to have fun with the formula and tease a bit, and we're allowed to be sad if/when it turns out that's all it was.

Like, Deadpool 3 is confirmed happening and it's in the MCU. Between now and then, something's gotta give with the mutants. And you know he's gonna crack so many jokes on the universe hopping.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

The MCU thread is specifically not open spoilers, though.

I'd be ok either way. But by the time Falcon and Winter Soldier hits in two weeks, this thread will probably have hit page 100 anyway.

Fuck, two weeks? Uggggghhhhh...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that finds it really cringey when characters start talking about their "power"? It always sounds like it was written by an 8 year old to me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    It’s a show about superheroes. It comes with the territory.