As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [Economy] evolves to housing, even when it is about cars

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Java seems to be just asking for problems down the road. "This software needs version <x>, but this one needs version <y>." "Both of those are 20 years old..."

But I guess that is more of a problem not up keeping/updating software than anything inherit with Java.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Java seems to be just asking for problems down the road. "This software needs version <x>, but this one needs version <y>." "Both of those are 20 years old..."

But I guess that is more of a problem not up keeping/updating software than anything inherit with Java.

Java at least has enough modern features that improve readability and has enough in common with other modern languages that if they have to upgrade it again in the future, it will be much less of a hassle. COBOL is basically a step above assembly, so working out how large programs are structured is significantly harder and requires more COBOL specific expertise.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Once you know one language you know them all. You could create a finance-centric language that's very easy to learn if you wanted. Then you could build security into the language to make it financially idiot-proof, which would help with all that hacking we've been having recently.

There are too many languages around with the use case of "programmers think it's cool" and too few practical languages.

IIRC COBOL is procedural rather than object-oriented and has some deeply, deeply weird limitations on how you can order operations compared to modern languages.

Making a purpose-built finance/commerce-focused language isn't a bad idea, but also, like, just write shit in C/C++/C#, it's never going to be deprecated

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Most stuff in FinServ is built to be broadly compatible and deployable, which Java is. It's also faster than JS and Python at math etc.
    That said, lots of people hate writing java and you can find people writing in basically everything given the massive spend (banks spend ~10% of revenue on technology) and number of them. There's even a place with it's core as ocaml

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Anything that incentivises US banks to get up to standards set by the rest of the world would be good. Last time I was in the US it was like stepping back in time 30 years.

Considering how much bank tech is still rooted in the 70s (in design, if not actual machines) you kinda were.

There is a reason that COBOL programmers make $$$.

Eh. That's true plenty of places. The US banking system being so outdated feels more like a cultural/domestic market issue to me. It's like they just didn't feel like advancing beyond cash.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It might feel that way but banks hate cash and are actually far ahead of a chunk of their user base in terms of converting to digital

Seriously only 60% of US banking customers even use online banking

And half of the people in bank branches are business employees doing cash exchange for their registers

Source: it’s my job to shrink bank branches to a tiny kiosk with a person holding a tablet and no cash handling

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I have days where I really wish that when I started getting known as our AS/400 COBOL 'guru' early in my career I had stuck with it instead of pulling the ripcord.

Then there are days I'm so very glad I'm doing what I'm doing instead of spending my days battling sixty year old emulated code.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I have days where I really wish that when I started getting known as our AS/400 COBOL 'guru' early in my career I had stuck with it instead of pulling the ripcord.

Then there are days I'm so very glad I'm doing what I'm doing instead of spending my days battling sixty year old emulated code.

Watching what my dad went through being a COBOL guy and how the bank treated him just as soon as they had moved everything to java, be glad you pulled the ripcord.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Cash in lower denominations than a quarter needs to be dumped in the USA. I have a box full of small coins and I don’t know what to do with it.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Cash in lower denominations than a quarter needs to be dumped in the USA. I have a box full of small coins and I don’t know what to do with it.

Take it to your bank (or worst case grocery store since they charge a fee) and turn it into real money.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The EU and US have agreed to bury the hatchet for 5 years on the 20 year trade conflict over illegal EU subsidies of Airbus. Which is generally good news.

But despite commodity prices going through the roof, and supply problems across multiple industries they are keeping the Trump metals tariffs in place. Because they are popular with steelworkers unions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-eu-tariffs/2021/06/15/88fcfe92-cd4c-11eb-a7f1-52b8870bef7c_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    The EU and US have agreed to bury the hatchet for 5 years on the 20 year trade conflict over illegal EU subsidies of Airbus. Which is generally good news.

But despite commodity prices going through the roof, and supply problems across multiple industries they are keeping the Trump metals tariffs in place. Because they are popular with steelworkers unions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-eu-tariffs/2021/06/15/88fcfe92-cd4c-11eb-a7f1-52b8870bef7c_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Goddamnit, that is one of the stupidest ones. It's a base input material.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

Joseph Zeballos-Roig is an economics reporter for Business Insider:
    NOTABLE: Sen. Tim Kaine tells me that *immigration reform* was discussed among Dems in budget meeting as a method of financing infrastructure package in reconciliation

“That could be a very legitimate way to look at trying to find a balanced package”

Kaine: “Anytime there’s been a CBO examination on immigration reform, it produces a significant increase in the GDP without really costing much money”

I suppose this would be an interesting way to have your cake and eat it too.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/06/15/why-the-used-car-market-is-sending-american-inflation-soaring

Apparently an outsized contributer to recent inflation is used car prices which are spiking because of rapidly increasing demand as car rental demand recovers and the whole chip shortage is constricting supply of new cars.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/06/15/why-the-used-car-market-is-sending-american-inflation-soaring

Apparently an outsized contributer to recent inflation is used car prices which are spiking because of rapidly increasing demand as car rental demand recovers and the whole chip shortage is constricting supply of new cars.

Yeah, used cars accounted for about 30% of May's inflation reading, and new cars, rental cars, and airline tickets combined for another 15-20% hour of the total, if I recall correctly.

• Options
    There are going to be weird spot shortages and things for the next few months while everything works it's way through the system with more and more places reopening. But, by its very nature that is a temporary thing rather than an underlying trend.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I wonder how much all that bitcoin farming (and other blockchain bollocks) is to blame for the shortage of chips.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    I wonder how much all that bitcoin farming (and other blockchain bollocks) is to blame for the shortage of chips.

Not much. The shortage is more closely linked to the pandemic and working conditions and the fact that we've allowed one country to dominate the manufacturing of such things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–2021_global_chip_shortage

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Not much. The shortage is more closely linked to the pandemic and working conditions and the fact that we've allowed one country to dominate the manufacturing of such things.

That link cites crypto mining as the driving factor behind the shortage of video cards. It's a big problem in the GPU market that is having a wider effects as there are only so many semiconductors to go around right now.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

That link cites crypto mining as the driving factor behind the shortage of video cards. It's a big problem in the GPU market that is having a wider effects as there are only so many semiconductors to go around right now.

There are only so many semiconductor manufacturing plants. The ones used for the car chips and the ones used by AMD & NVidia to give them wafers, such as TMSC have only so much capacity and it's all first come, first served. Intel mostly has their own plants for the GPU side but as of yet, no one takes them all that seriously despite them spending $BILLIONS on trying to break into it.

That bill which passed earlier this year is supposed to help subsidize the opening of new generalized plants like TMSC stateside but it will take years before those are running at full capacity, let alone proof of operations. In the meantime, the easiest way to get around this would be to back off of China, but I don't see that happening with the current political climate around the world.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Not only are there only so many plants but processes are not interchangable and even different manufacturers within a process may not be compatible

The plant that is making the latest GPUs is not capable of making the chips that go into cars for example. One is a 7nm/10nm node and the other is going to be much larger because it's cheaper and more reliable. These nodes often use entirely different equipment to make and require different designs

Phyphor on
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I worked for years in technology development yield at a major semi conductor company when they started failing to acheive acceptable yields on new generation chips.

So, its me guys, im the reason for the shortage.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Dammit burbo you had one job!

Orca on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'll get the torches and pitchforks.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    In a great blog post from the White House's Council of Economic Advisors, the Biden Administration argues that exclusionary zoning (like single family housing) are inherently racist.
    This Saturday, the nation recognizes Juneteenth, which marks the day a Major General of the Union Army arrived in Galveston, Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation, and free the last enslaved Black people in Texas from bondage. The day has evolved into a celebration of emancipation more generally, and while the country acknowledges the progress that has been made, it is imperative to not lose sight of the fact that we still have much work to do to address the vestiges of slavery and historic discrimination. Indeed, policies and practices exist today that are seemingly non-discriminatory on their face but still negatively affect many families of color, especially Black families. Many of these policies and practices have long-term impacts—from education to employment to business ownership to housing—that must be addressed.

One area that is particularly important for economic well-being and wealth accumulation is housing. Families who can purchase their own home in the neighborhood of their choice at a fair price and see the value of their home grow over time do better economically in the long run. But numerous policies have systemically discriminated against Black families who wish to pursue that path. This blog focuses on one of these policies: exclusionary zoning laws, which have played a role in causing racial disparities in the housing market.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I know!

And all we had to do was create a technology never before seen in the world thats constantly pushing up against Planks, at a reliable 2 year cadence under one of the most notoriously abusive and inneffective corporate structures out there.

It couldn't be simpler!

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »

I know!

And all we had to do was create a technology never before seen in the world thats constantly pushing up against Planks, at a reliable 2 year cadence under one of the most notoriously abusive and inneffective corporate structures out there.

It couldn't be simpler!

i don't know what any of this means but i'm still mad :mad:

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

Someday someone is going to write the story of intel 10nm and it is going to be very exciting.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

Planks Constantthermal limits and quantum tunneling are things that puts a lower bound on how small you can make a working transistor, and computer chips have been edging closer and closer to that line for the last decade or so. Intel was King for a bit there in this space, but when they tried to move from 14nm down to 10nm, they had some issues they still haven’t completely resolved. Part of this is because intels management appeared to be garbage.

This is my “explain it like I’m 5”, so it may not be totally accurate but I believe it’s essentially correct.

Edit: also, other companies that were behind intel and R&D have since solved the problems going to 10nm and lower while intel was stuck.

ronzo on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

Planks Constant is something that puts a lower bound on how small you can make a thing, and computer chips have been edging closer and closer to that line for the last decade or so. Intel was King for a bit there in this space, but when they tried to move from 14nm down to 10nm, they had some issues they still haven’t completely resolved. Part of this is because intels management appeared to be garbage.

This is my “explain it like I’m 5”, so it may not be totally accurate but I believe it’s essentially correct.

Edit: also, other companies that were behind intel and R&D have since solved the problems going to 10nm and lower while intel was stuck.

There are reasons why Apple decided to drop Intel.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

Planks Constant is something that puts a lower bound on how small you can make a thing, and computer chips have been edging closer and closer to that line for the last decade or so. Intel was King for a bit there in this space, but when they tried to move from 14nm down to 10nm, they had some issues they still haven’t completely resolved. Part of this is because intels management appeared to be garbage.

No, the Planck Length (the smallest quanta of length possible in the universe) is 1000000000000000000000000000 times smaller than 10nm. You start getting into thermal and quantum tunneling issues in the silicon and resolution for the masking as chip feature sizes get smaller, but the Planck Length isn't relevant.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

No, the Planck Length (the smallest quanta of length possible in the universe) is 1000000000000000000000000000 times smaller than 10nm. You start getting into thermal and quantum tunneling issues in the silicon and photon frequency resolution for the masking as chip feature sizes get smaller, but the Planck Length isn't relevant.

The Planck units are annoying to me from a mathematical standpoint, as they mean space and time are not continuous in a numerical sense.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

No, the Planck Length (the smallest quanta of length possible in the universe) is 1000000000000000000000000000 times smaller than 10nm. You start getting into thermal and quantum tunneling issues in the silicon and photon frequency resolution for the masking as chip feature sizes get smaller, but the Planck Length isn't relevant.

It's still very relevant in this case because of the energy levels of the photons being used to do the etching of the silicon. It doesn't take a whole lot to overcome the energy needed to not simply displace the atoms within the crystal matrix but remove them entirely which leads to lower yields and other hidden errors found later on. All of that has everything to do with plank length and how well you measure and the resolution of the image. It's a very fine dance around physics and at the levels it's currently being done at entirely a form of magic afaict.

• Options
    My bad, you’re totally right about the Planck Lengths, I just had a brain fart after seeing “Plank”

• Options
    Even more simplified answer that doesn’t involve any technical terms:

Making very small thing is hard
    Making very small things even smaller is incredible hard, due to physics.

Previous market leader in this space had terrible management that made it much, much harder for the smart people to make things smaller.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

It's still very relevant in this case because of the energy levels of the photons being used to do the etching of the silicon. It doesn't take a whole lot to overcome the energy needed to not simply displace the atoms within the crystal matrix but remove them entirely which leads to lower yields and other hidden errors found later on. All of that has everything to do with plank length and how well you measure and the resolution of the image. It's a very fine dance around physics and at the levels it's currently being done at entirely a form of magic afaict.

You are correct that the higher frequency needed to support the masking resolution starts causing manufacturing issues as the size gets smaller. But Planck's Constant is only "involved" because it relates photon energy to frequency. It's not a cause of any problem itself, it's just a constant.

And Planck Length is utterly irrelevant because we are not anywhere close to dealing with things at that scale. That number I gave for the difference in size is not an exaggeration. If 1 Planck Length was scaled up to 1 meter, that 10nm chip feature would be 10 times larger than the diameter of the observable universe. That vast, vast difference means you don't need the edges of your features to be Planck Length accurate even if it were in any way possible to do it.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

You are correct that the higher frequency needed to support the masking resolution starts causing manufacturing issues as the size gets smaller. But Planck's Constant is only "involved" because it relates photon energy to frequency. It's not a cause of any problem itself, it's just a constant.

And Planck Length is utterly irrelevant because we are not anywhere close to dealing with things at that scale. That number I gave for the difference in size is not an exaggeration. If 1 Planck Length was scaled up to 1 meter, that 10nm chip feature would be 10 times larger than the diameter of the observable universe. That vast, vast difference means you don't need the edges of your features to be Planck Length accurate even if it were in any way possible to do it.

Thanks there are brain bits all over my screen now

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I know!

It couldn't be simpler!

The Planck units are annoying to me from a mathematical standpoint, as they mean space and time are not continuous in a numerical sense.

Nobody knows if the Planck length is the smallest quanta of length in the universe, or even if length is quantized. (According to We have no idea, wirtten by a CERN phycisists and the guy who makes phd comics.)

In any case, from a practical point of view it doesn't matter for any but the most theoretical of phycisists; for everyone else we can treat space (and time) and continuous (except when doing stuff on a digital computer, but that's because the computer has finite storage and so limited resolution).

From a mathematical point of view, though, you get increadibly strange effects things are not quantized. Things are continuous, there is a way of cutting a sphere of gold in two so that both halves have the same volume and same mass as the original. (In real life, gold is quantized into gold atoms so you can't.)

Fluid mechanics treat space, time, and fluids as continuous. But at least the latter isn't, so the entire field is axiomatically no more than an approximation of reality.

• Options
    Anyways, how about them economies, eh?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Anyways, how about them economies, eh?

Well if reverse-repo's are any indications possibly fucked? but also who knows?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
This discussion has been closed.