As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [Economy] evolves to housing, even when it is about cars

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    What are reverse repos and how/why are they bad?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's a way for banks to park cash in the fed over night to lower liabilities? I think?

Somewhat of an explanation:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fed-sees-record-756-billion-demand-for-reverse-repo-program-expect-it-to-hit-1-trillion-say-rates-strategists-11623961989

The scary graph:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/RRPONTSYD

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Sometimes it feels like news about the economy doesn't _want_ me to take it seriously. I have no idea what this next quote actually means, but I feel like they should have chosen better terminology even so:
    Friday also marked quadruple witching day, which is the simultaneous expiration of single-stock options, single-stock futures, stock-index options and stock-index futures.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

They indicate that banks don't have better places to park excess capital than with the Fed, lack of opportunity for investments

Means they think the risk/reward of everything else isnt worth it, is my understanding

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Sometimes it feels like news about the economy doesn't _want_ me to take it seriously. I have no idea what this next quote actually means, but I feel like they should have chosen better terminology even so:
    Friday also marked quadruple witching day, which is the simultaneous expiration of single-stock options, single-stock futures, stock-index options and stock-index futures.

Why would insane amounts of money make people less superstitious?

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The terminology is meant to be confusing, obtuse, contradictory, and arcane.

That way you’ll look at it, get a headache, and just go away and leave them the fuck alone to make more money than anyone in the history of ever without oversight.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

This was really intriguing so I did some digging and if I had to guess I think it's a combination of the witching hour referring to any period of bad luck, which options and futures calling due makes likely, and also that the OG witching hour as defined by the Catholic church was 3 to 4 AM and now it refers to 3 to 4 PM when some markets close and stuff.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    The terminology is meant to be confusing, obtuse, contradictory, and arcane.

That way you’ll look at it, get a headache, and just go away and leave them the fuck alone to make more money than anyone in the history of ever without oversight.
    It’s not “meant” to be anything. It’s just how language evolves in communities.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

A Repo is like a pawn shop.

You sell something and have the right to buy it back for the selling price plus interest within some time period.

A reverse repo follows naturally. You buy something and have the right to sell it back within some time period.

These are bad only so much as they with the fed and indicate that people think parking money with the fed is better than putting it out in the open market

The amount of “dead cash” has been an issue for a while, with a lot of companies having huge cash reserves that have effectively nothing done with them.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    reverse repos are not bad

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    reverse repos are not bad

Neither are most drugs, it's the amount they are currently being used/abused that are worrying.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Goumindong wrote: »

A Repo is like a pawn shop.

You sell something and have the right to buy it back for the selling price plus interest within some time period.

A reverse repo follows naturally. You buy something and have the right to sell it back within some time period.

These are bad only so much as they with the fed and indicate that people think parking money with the fed is better than putting it out in the open market

The amount of “dead cash” has been an issue for a while, with a lot of companies having huge cash reserves that have effectively nothing done with them.

Remember last year when the overnight Repo market was so fucked banks wouldn't lend money to eachother without a ridiculous interest rate because they didn't trust that the other party's securities weren't garbage and the Fed had to step in with hundreds of billions of dollars of loans? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

i-3CnvcCW.jpg

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I don't understand what reverse repos are but I do know that a graph going vertical is, as a general rule, never a good thing for very long

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    Dammit burbo you had one job!

I know!

And all we had to do was create a technology never before seen in the world thats constantly pushing up against Planks, at a reliable 2 year cadence under one of the most notoriously abusive and inneffective corporate structures out there.

It couldn't be simpler!

Someday someone is going to write the story of intel 10nm and it is going to be very exciting.

Honestly, its not. We failed for reasons that are totally mundane and expected under certain corporate structures.

If i were to boil it down though, the biggest technical reasons were that Intel tried to do a generation and a half leap, at a time when each leap was getting harder, and they too long to commit to a next generation lithography technology. Culture wise, innovation was dead in TD, with a focus instead on pure grinding and hours put in, which couldn't compete with TSMCs 24 hour engineer support and test wafer scale.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Ugh mortgage rates just jumped due to a fed meeting? We can’t lock in till this fall and really are hoping they stay under 3.5%.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    I'm honestly kind of amazed at how much of an impact them saying they're probably going to raise rates at some point next year due to conditions, rather than the year following, has had. Like, it's still June. They aren't talking about next quarter here.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Its good that they're raising the rates. The extremely low rates have increased demand so much that it's a big part of why housing prices are skyrocketing

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Its good that they're raising the rates. The extremely low rates have increased demand so much that it's a big part of why housing prices are skyrocketing

But they aren't, though. They are giving forward guidance that they expect to probably raise rates in 2022 instead of their previous expectation of maybe raising rates in 2023.

It's only just the second half of 2021 literally today.

moniker on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Housing prices are skyrocketing primarily because of record low supply. Building was already lagging demand for most of the last decade and thanks to the pandemic you're lucky to even get a deck built let alone a house.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Housing prices are skyrocketing primarily because of record low supply. Building was already lagging demand for most of the last decade and thanks to the pandemic you're lucky to even get a deck built let alone a house.

Yep, that plus a large number of prospective homebuyers as Millenials enter prime earning territory and boomers not giving up their homes.

• Options
    Expect more bad crypto news this week as China's crackdown on mining ops is getting intense.

https://gizmodo.com/bitcoin-plunges-as-chinas-sichuan-province-pulls-plug-o-1847139438

In the past, highly mobile crypto miners have taken advantage of near free hydroelectric power during the rainy season of the Sichuan province but regulators are enforcing the clampdown without exception.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Is it just me that my gut reaction to China stopping crypto mining in its country is "good!"?

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    moniker wrote: »

But they aren't, though. They are giving forward guidance that they expect to probably raise rates in 2022 instead of their previous expectation of maybe raising rates in 2023.

It's only just the second half of 2021 literally today.

The article I read mentioned that the Fed buys $40 billion worth of Mortgage securities a month. I'm not sure what that means, what does the Fed do with them?

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is it just me that my gut reaction to China stopping crypto mining in its country is "good!"?

Fuck no definitely not just you crypto as it is implemented now is a complete ecological and incoming financial disaster

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Bitcoin is also a huge source of funding for organized crime, like all those ransom hackers.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

I mean it's a "yes, and" situation

Yes supply is super low and we haven't built enough at all over the last decade plus to meet demand, AND current fed actions are keeping mortgage rates super low compared to normal which further increases demand as a larger number of people can afford to switch from renting to buying.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Yes supply is super low and we haven't built enough at all over the last decade plus to meet demand, AND current fed actions are keeping mortgage rates super low compared to normal which further increases demand as a larger number of people can afford to switch from renting to buying.

But even with the low interest rates banks are being super picky on who the lend to, not a lot of risk taking so you are also seeing those buying mostly being the upper side pushing up prices more. First time buyers are also getting squeezed.

And in some markets you get a another issue where certain groups are paying cash to current home buyers to let them to pay cash for their new place increasing prices in markets as well.

The whole market is just going up because a mess across the board for numerous reasons.

Oh also labor and material issues from the pandemic and screwed supply chains as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    In terms of cost, down payments and the general lack of savings for milennials plays a much higher role. Maybe the rates would make a difference, if it got that far, but most don't even make it to that barrier to be a disqualifying variable for home ownership

• Options
    Low interest rates mean higher sticker prices are more affordable because nobody really cares about the price of the home near as much as the monthly cost of the home. If you can reasonably swing ~$1,400/mo then you can afford a ~$350k house now when, a few years back, it would have only been up to ~$275k tops. With nothing else changing.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Also this is from 2019. But playing with Fed Survey data.

Financial Assets by Age Group per thousand. This is the median, not the mean so it should help correct outliers. And oof it ain't pretty.
    vtf7pimxgivr.png

Not really enough for a down payment in most markets especially as banks are still very wary of higher risk loans at the moment.

Also total assets by age, so including car/house/financial assets there is an expected gap but you do see an increase at least before the pandemic in the 35-44 aka elder millenials/young X in this category pre-pandemic which is probably tied to some acquiring of houses before shit hit the fan.

m3wu70ovmvt2.png

I will say they probably should have a 25-34 category instead of just under 25 for these. But its the Fed so they don't.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/scfindex.htm

Survey source data added.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Yep, that plus a large number of prospective homebuyers as Millenials enter prime earning territory and boomers not giving up their homes.

As long as the growth in demand outstrips the growth in supply, there is no reason for anyone to give up their homes, because it will just cost more to move into somewhere else.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Rate becomes a really big impact with rapidly rising prices, and rising rates will slow demand…there’s a really big supply gap though so this interplay won’t be as responsive as it normally is historically- sellers might just need to pick the best of 3 bids over asking at higher rates rather than the best of 20

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

That switch from renting to buying requires a shitload of liquid assets as a down payment many people who should be ready for the switch can't muster. Even when banks were less stingy 3-4 years ago, most lenders required 20% down to avoid mortgage insurance which tacks on like $400-500 to your monthly payment. That's an option that only available to an usual combination of high-income yet low savings earner.

Maybe interest rates are too friendly to AirBnB investors but I don't see how fed actions help the millenials that can't afford down payments. We need more supply to make home owning a reality for them.

Also, fuck NIMBYism

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Financial Assets by Age Group per thousand. This is the median, not the mean so it should help correct outliers. And oof it ain't pretty.
    vtf7pimxgivr.png

Not really enough for a down payment in most markets especially as banks are still very wary of higher risk loans at the moment.

Also total assets by age, so including car/house/financial assets there is an expected gap but you do see an increase at least before the pandemic in the 35-44 aka elder millenials/young X in this category pre-pandemic which is probably tied to some acquiring of houses before shit hit the fan.

m3wu70ovmvt2.png

I will say they probably should have a 25-34 category instead of just under 25 for these. But its the Fed so they don't.

I also really wish age cohort breakdowns went by birth year rather than age bracket. Since that's 2019 data my savings will go from the blue line in that chart to the green line in the next update to it.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

vtf7pimxgivr.png

m3wu70ovmvt2.png

These charts always terrify me because pensions, 401k, and IRAs are part of Financial Assets. The median 65 year old has less than 55k in retirement savings. Like holy shit is that a disaster in the making.

Useful chart of what is included under what categories.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You need to save up about $1million in retirement savings to have a pleasant retirement. That's hilariously unlikely for anyone below the top 10% of earners.

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular

vtf7pimxgivr.png

m3wu70ovmvt2.png

These charts always terrify me because pensions, 401k, and IRAs are part of Financial Assets. The median 65 year old has less than 55k in retirement savings. Like holy shit is that a disaster in the making.

Useful chart of what is included under what categories.

Yup. Welcome to where Gen X, Millennials, and any generation after that is, "Expected to work until Death."

Unless you already are a 1%er.

• Options
    Another thing that chart screams at me is we are all fucked.

Boomers voted in the idiots who fucked our Millenials and Zoomers. But those same folks fucked them and X hard.

Basically its a we float down here situation. No one is coming out of this with out being screwed except the top 1%.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Pretty much there's a bunch of changes that need to happen and everyone in my age cohort and now the one below it at this point, are going to just have to take the hits all our parents were too shitty to handle.

Like maybe my one year old can have retirement as a concept if we do a lot of work to unfuck everything by the time they're coming up in this world.

Sleep on
This discussion has been closed.