As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GME-ing the stonk market

1848586878890»

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I dunno though, seems like MOASS requires such devotion they'll go broke to their paupers grave asserting that any day now they're going to be the real people in charge.

Reading the comments on dan's video shockingly only one idiot showed up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I’m surprised one of the Apes hasn’t committed a horrific murder suicide on his family yet.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I’m surprised one of the Apes hasn’t committed a horrific murder suicide on his family yet.

Dan does mention a distressing amount of the stock proof pictures include fire arms.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Unless they make a note, reddit post, or a video, what would make that stand out from the 'regular' background violence?
    Preacher wrote: »
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Yeah this video was god damn jaw dropping. I thought a lot more people made money on the pump and dump but finding out they invented a conspiracy theory to justify their fuck up? Fucking yikes town.

Dan highlights this in the video, but these guys would be more sympathetic if they weren't you know awful. Using ableist slurs or "wife changing" money just paints them as particularly vile individuals.

I had the video on the background, and at first I heard "life changing money", I never heard the gross version before the video, and yes, its incredibly hard to find empathy for them.

I thought at first naively they were saying wife changing as in "it would change my wifes life" and like I wasn't wrong just not in the way I was thinking.

Made worse of course these guys are literally hiding that they are engaging in buying shitty stock that's over priced or in the case of BBBY worthless. Like I've *cough* not exactly told my wife how much money I've spent on STO, but like I still have the fucking ships and random bullshit in that game, I'm not like secretly hoping those ships will become my retirement.

Oh c'mon man, you know how much latnium that Enterprise -J is going to end up going for?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

I don't recall it being tied to the Apes directly, but on the Buttcoin subreddit (all about mocking crypto currency, of course) there are occasional posts linked (or there were, they've been blocked off from linking to other subs these days) about people who committed suicide and/or homicide that is linked in some way to crypto.

Whether they owed someone a ton of money and it all went bad, or the decided there was nothing left to live for, etc.

Considering the kind of money people have talked about, frankly I would be surprised if one hadn't done something horribly tragic at this point.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    It’s also interesting that the apes place so much faith in the rules of the game when their entire story requires powerful bad actors controlling the system. If moAss were even possible, the rules of the game would change to serve their “opponents”

• Options
    Unless they make a note, reddit post, or a video, what would make that stand out from the 'regular' background violence?
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Yeah this video was god damn jaw dropping. I thought a lot more people made money on the pump and dump but finding out they invented a conspiracy theory to justify their fuck up? Fucking yikes town.

Dan highlights this in the video, but these guys would be more sympathetic if they weren't you know awful. Using ableist slurs or "wife changing" money just paints them as particularly vile individuals.

I had the video on the background, and at first I heard "life changing money", I never heard the gross version before the video, and yes, its incredibly hard to find empathy for them.

I thought at first naively they were saying wife changing as in "it would change my wifes life" and like I wasn't wrong just not in the way I was thinking.

Made worse of course these guys are literally hiding that they are engaging in buying shitty stock that's over priced or in the case of BBBY worthless. Like I've *cough* not exactly told my wife how much money I've spent on STO, but like I still have the fucking ships and random bullshit in that game, I'm not like secretly hoping those ships will become my retirement.

Oh c'mon man, you know how much latnium that Enterprise -J is going to end up going for?

Oh I hate the J, give me an F or E.

Though buddy my new 100 dollar legendary inquiry slaps like you know I should probably just stop there..

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I still find it humorous that they got taken to the cleaners by the very individual they revered and worshiped - Only for him to fuck off, and for them to still worship him afterward.

Just incredible.

It's just, like, the roaring kitty /deep fucking value guy told them the $5 stock was going to the moon, then it went to $500 per share and he sold.

Because the stock was at the moon.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I still find it humorous that they got taken to the cleaners by the very individual they revered and worshiped - Only for him to fuck off, and for them to still worship him afterward.

Just incredible.

It's just, like, the roaring kitty /deep fucking value guy told them the $5 stock was going to the moon, then it went to $500 per share and he sold.

I assumed that was about Cohen and the convenient timing of his sales and disclosures in BBBY

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    And at that point, the tyros picking up the news late and still trying to jump on the coat tails are hoping it's going to soar all the way to moon 2

• Options
    maraji wrote: »

Just incredible.

I assumed that was about Cohen and the convenient timing of his sales and disclosures in BBBY

Cohen feels like the real shitty person here. The already rich person utilizing people he knows aren't mentally well to make more money.

Like his BBBY bullshit is a prime example of just that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    So does the movie Dumb Money end up essentially glorifying these douchebags as fighting the power?

I have heard almost nothing about that movie and looking it up mostly just gives me apes talking about it as a way to hype themselves up as great and a description that does not get my hopes up:
    Dumb Money is the ultimate David vs. Goliath tale, based on the insane true story of everyday people who flipped the script on Wall Street and got rich by turning GameStop (yes, the mall videogame store) into the world's hottest company. In the middle of everything is regular guy Keith Gill (Paul Dano), who starts it all by sinking his life savings into the stock and posting about it. When his social posts start blowing up, so does his life and the lives of everyone following him. As a stock tip becomes a movement, everyone gets rich -- until the billionaires fight back, and both sides find their worlds turned upside down.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Do does the movie Dumb Money end up essentially glorifying these douchebags as fighting the power?

I have heard almost nothing about that movie and looking it up mostly just gives me apes talking about it as a way to hype themselves up as great and a description that does not get my hopes up:
    Dumb Money is the ultimate David vs. Goliath tale, based on the insane true story of everyday people who flipped the script on Wall Street and got rich by turning GameStop (yes, the mall videogame store) into the world's hottest company. In the middle of everything is regular guy Keith Gill (Paul Dano), who starts it all by sinking his life savings into the stock and posting about it. When his social posts start blowing up, so does his life and the lives of everyone following him. As a stock tip becomes a movement, everyone gets rich -- until the billionaires fight back, and both sides find their worlds turned upside down.

I mean its a movie based on only the start of this madness story, so I imagine it probably paints Keith incredibly flatteringly. But like in Dan's video he highlights Keith was at least moderately good at some aspects of finance and just got exceptionally lucky with all the shit that happened to blow that stock up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Do does the movie Dumb Money end up essentially glorifying these douchebags as fighting the power?

That description is dire. Like if smartest guys in the room was about the plucky energy traders who figured out one weird trick — but soon everyone finds a new place in this wacky world of energy!

• Options
    I mean I'd 100% suggest just watching Dan's video and skipping the film that probably glorifies what has become a really sad cargo cult.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    One thing I couldn't quite get from Dan's video is how much the group narrowed as it passed into crazy.

I'd imagine the modern day cultists are a tiny fraction of the original GME evangelists, but I don't really know that.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    One thing I couldn't quite get from Dan's video is how much the group narrowed as it passed into crazy.

I'd imagine the modern day cultists are a tiny fraction of the original GME evangelists, but I don't really know that.

I think just being on reddit regularly and noting how infrequently posts from all those various associated subs make the front page these days is evidence enough. There were like multiple "DD"s making the front page daily, every dfv post, etc.

Now it's just kind of nothing?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

It would have to be, I think.

Anecdotally I know a couple people that bought a token amount early, laughed about it, then sold on the first big slide. But the amount of money involved was less than $500. Of course I didn’t hear about it until it was too late.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    maraji wrote: »

It would have to be, I think.

Anecdotally I know a couple people that bought a token amount early, laughed about it, then sold on the first big slide. But the amount of money involved was less than $500. Of course I didn’t hear about it until it was too late.

The Dan Olson video convinced me to look into if I actually made money on GME or not.
    20 buy orders totalling 156897.4 and 20 sell orders totalling 157195.7 all on the 27th of January for a total of 298.28 profit

So as a person that made 40 day trades on robinhood that day, I was not surprised when the blocked buy orders.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Oh man burtle when does netflix do a movie on you?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    "What do you mean, 'The Ballad of Buster Scruggs?'"

• Options

Yeah, investing is alright, but have you ever heard of... gambling?!?

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    One of the (many) things that stood out for me in the video is the Title's overlap with the NFT video - that there's an overabundance of weasel-wording "This is not financial advice", "I just like the stock", "I am just a community member" as a (incredibly flimsy) shield against liability, which indicates that at some level they must know what they're doing is wrong because otherwise they'd be able to just come out and say "We are trying to act in a coordinated fashion to push the price of this stock to a value which it doesn't deserve for personal benefit".

This whole decoding bullshit with blatantly acknowledging (even if it were true) "well, these billionaires whom we have elevated to cult status can't just outright tell us what they're going to do" should be a massive tipoff that this is not a strategy which is going to be viewed in a positive light by the government who you imagine is going to fill your bank account with money.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    One of the (many) things that stood out for me in the video is the Title's overlap with the NFT video - that there's an overabundance of weasel-wording "This is not financial advice", "I just like the stock", "I am just a community member" as a (incredibly flimsy) shield against liability, which indicates that at some level they must know what they're doing is wrong because otherwise they'd be able to just come out and say "We are trying to act in a coordinated fashion to push the price of this stock to a value which it doesn't deserve for personal benefit".

This whole decoding bullshit with blatantly acknowledging (even if it were true) "well, these billionaires whom we have elevated to cult status can't just outright tell us what they're going to do" should be a massive tipoff that this is not a strategy which is going to be viewed in a positive light by the government who you imagine is going to fill your bank account with money.

As it says in the video, it's very "fair use no copyright infringement intended" on a youtube video energy.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    As someone who worked for GameStop for over 15 years, much of it as a manager, (thank god I got out years ago), I still keep up with things there and read the employee Reddit regularly

For all the horrible shit the employees are going through there now (managers have to run 2 stores each, single coverage all the time, not getting needed inventory, etc) it never ceases to amaze me how many of the stock bros STILL talk up Cohen as some god that’s gonna turn it around, especially now that he’s taken over as CEO. Even when things are just getting worse. Meanwhile the stores seem more like borderline torches and pitchforks on Corporate, lol.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »

As it says in the video, it's very "fair use no copyright infringement intended" on a youtube video energy.

Intend your copyright infringement you cowards.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    As someone who worked for GameStop for over 15 years, much of it as a manager, (thank god I got out years ago), I still keep up with things there and read the employee Reddit regularly

For all the horrible shit the employees are going through there now (managers have to run 2 stores each, single coverage all the time, not getting needed inventory, etc) it never ceases to amaze me how many of the stock bros STILL talk up Cohen as some god that’s gonna turn it around, especially now that he’s taken over as CEO. Even when things are just getting worse. Meanwhile the stores seem more like borderline torches and pitchforks on Corporate, lol.

Thinking of taking my job back in the day at GameStop and adding a second store to it.. just hell no. I don't get how those stores haven't burned down by now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2023

I find it funny because like the one person with real experience in the gaming industry who was on the board with Cohen has openly talked about how Cohen is shit.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/former-nintendo-president-reggie-fils-aime-reveals-why-he-left-gamestop/1100-6501514/
    Former Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime Reveals Why He Left GameStop

The retailer's executive team "rebuffed" his request to join the strategy planning team, so he bid GameStop adieu.

By Eddie Makuch on March 15, 2022 at 11:23AM PDT
    As for why Fils-Aime eventually left GameStop's board of directors, he said it came down to Cohen and other management not wanting to listen to his advice, despite Fils-Aime being being an industry veteran and one of the most experienced business executives in gaming on the planet.

"The issue was that as the strategy was beginning to be developed, I asked to be part of the team to develop the strategy. I knew the business. I knew it as a consumer, I knew it as a vendor; I had pretty strong opinions on how the business needed to be pivoted. But I was rebuffed," Fils-Aime said. "The perspective was, 'Reggie, we want to keep the team small... so it's going to be myself [Cohen] and a few of the people I brought on board.'"

Fils-Aime flat-out said Cohen and the team around him "don't know this business; don't understand the players."

When Fils-Aime was denied a spot on the strategy team for GameStop's path forward, he took this as a sign that it was time to go.

"I took that as code for, 'Thank you, but we really don't want any other ideas.' For me, that was not acceptable," he said.

To this day, the current GameStop management has not articulated its strategy for success in the future, and Fils-Aime didn't want to stick around to see how it all played out.

"There has not been an articulated strategy. Leadership says, 'Well, we don't want to articulate our strategy because we don't want anyone to steal our strategy,'" Fils-Aime said.
    GameSpot has followed up with GameStop in an attempt to get more details on Fils-Aime's exit from the board of directors.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    GameSpot has followed up with GameStop in an attempt to get more details on Fils-Aime's exit from the board of directors.

am

am i having a stroke

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

Yeah, investing is alright, but have you ever heard of... gambling?!?

Theyrethesamepicture.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    At first I sorta believed in the hype, but as the week went on I realized the language was moving from WSB lulz to actual sovcit cargo cult-like idiocy, and at some point I remembered that you need to actually realize your gains and I sold.

Made $12k in a week, easy momentum play.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

am

am i having a stroke

If you had told me 10 years ago that either of those entities would still be around in 10 years I'd have laughed at you.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705