As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GME-ing the stonk market

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    wtf happened I looked and saw my AMC was at $27 and I sold all of it reflexively

I hope that was a good decision and it doesnt go up to 400

I mean, I figure if you made money you won. You can't decide whether it was a good decision based on future information, because you didn't have that information at the time.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    I mean... you CAN, but that just ends in tragedy.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    What if is the bane of gambling.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So this is just another short squeeze/pump and dump, right? There’s no “real” news affecting AMC?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    mcdermott wrote: »
    So this is just another short squeeze/pump and dump, right? There’s no “real” news affecting AMC?

Probably a little bit but really places are opening up, giant blockbusters are hitting screens in under a month stateside. The industry should hopefully be going fuckin wild in about 2 months. If the value was ever gonna jump this is about the time it should start to. Like every story and study that comes out to say the vaccinated can just go do stuff is a story about how the movies are a thing we can do again.

Sleep on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

IIRC they paid off some more debt, but in general there's no reason this should have doubled this week specifically, no.

Monwyn wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    It's funny that everyone holding AMC is along for the ride still.

I would again like to thank you for reminding me to set a limit order. Dumped half my stake at $22, just playing with house money now.

Congratulations, you jerk. :mrgreen:

To be clear, I meant "all profit from here," not "oh hey I can buy a house." Compared to the WSB-level YOLOs I made pocket change, but money is money.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well there has been good news on the vaccination front and that means butts in seats soon. Has there been any vaccination news this week that would cause it? I don’t know specifically.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As I said upthread it's still attached to GME for whatever reason so either of them may go up if the other is squeezing even if it makes no sense based on reality.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I think fundamental analysis for either of these stocks is out the window at this point.

• Options
    I think with AMC a couple shorts probably covered which is there only way I can really explain the sharp spike today around 2ish?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I think with AMC a couple shorts probably covered which is there only way I can really explain the sharp spike today around 2ish?

Could be a lot of things - AMC is completing its reopening plans this week, advance sales for A Quiet Place 2 are nearly double what they were during the pre-pandemic time, etc

I have no doubts that shorts played into it, but I think some of it is also recovery related

• Options
    It feels like nothing means anything anymore. What a weird ass market.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    On the one hand, I have schoolwork that I need to get done.

On the other hand, zomg AMC's almost at $50 a pop and I can't stop checking it to see if I wanna stay in or get out while the getting's good.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    All I know is of I had the stones to eat my loss this morning, switch to AMC, and sell around now, I'd be back in the green. Can't say that most days...

• Options
    Set up laddering limit sells and stop looking at it.

*goes back to looking at it*

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Set up laddering limit sells and stop looking at it.

*goes back to looking at it*

I've just got it set up on the left side of my screen at this point to keep a constant vigil. I was setting alerts on my Fidelity app but it keeps blowing past them. It just went from $50 to $60 a share in the last ten minutes.

EDIT: You can sell stocks for their current price after hours on Fidelity, right?

EDIT 2: It's been stuck on $61.71 for a bit now and I'm suddenly paranoid why.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I'm seeing on Twitter as of a few minutes ago that trading on AMC has been halted.

EDIT: Now it's suddenly dropped to $51 dollars.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Stuff gets wacky when halted, that could be literally 1 share causing the drop.

I like to ART
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Reminder to not talk about personal bets

• Options
    Stuff gets wacky when halted, that could be literally 1 share causing the drop.

On the way back up now.

I'm supposed to have class in about an hour that'll last until the stock market closes but I'm seriously considering not going just because of what's happening now.

• Options
    Looks to me that a large actor covered a bunch of shorts, that triggered auto sells, and a halt.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Wow is it hard for me to concentrate on anything else right now. So many questions racing through my mind whether I should take the money and run now, hold onto it even if it dips back down significantly, etc.

EDIT: I don't see how people who keep up with multiple stocks manage to get anything else done through the day.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    It feels like nothing means anything anymore. What a weird ass market.

Sometimes I think the south park proposition that the market is controlled by where the body of a beheaded chicken lands isn't too far off

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Wow is it hard for me to concentrate on anything else right now. So many questions racing through my mind whether I should take the money and run now, hold onto it even if it dips back down significantly, etc.

EDIT: I don't see how people who keep up with multiple stocks manage to get anything else done through the day.

it takes a particular ability to handle risk

Speaking from a position of caring about you, it doesn't sound like you have it. That's fine! I've figured out I don't have it either, so I just dump money in index mutual funds and pretend it doesn't exist. That way I'm happily surprised later when I need it and it's gone up.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Orca wrote: »

it takes a particular ability to handle risk

Speaking from a position of caring about you, it doesn't sound like you have it. That's fine! I've figured out I don't have it either, so I just dump money in index mutual funds and pretend it doesn't exist. That way I'm happily surprised later when I need it and it's gone up.

I do at least have a 401k from a former employer that has recovered nicely. Unfortunately, I can't really do anything with that money for a long time. It'd be nice if I could just take some to help pay off my student loans, but each time I look into that it ends up looking like a bad idea in the long run. I also need to remind myself to put some money in something more stable.

I only bought 9 shares of AMC back when it was at $10, btw, so I'm not expecting a huge windfall, but I still can't help but be excited.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Day trading stocks really seems like it hits the same part of the brain as gambling, and it's probably better to think of the activity as that than investing. Give yourself a limit, put out your original investment if you manage to double up, play with house money and think of it as fun and NOT money.

If all you're focused on is the money, you're just setting yourself up for depression via FOMO.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Day trading stocks really seems like it hits the same part of the brain as gambling, and it's probably better to think of the activity as that than investing. Give yourself a limit, put out your original investment if you manage to double up, play with house money and think of it as fun and NOT money.

If all you're focused on is the money, you're just setting yourself up for depression via FOMO.

Edited.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Hahaha man that's been a wild ride today, they just halted trading again. It was up to 72$ at one point. 3 monthes ago it was *checks notes* less then 7$. Crazy.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

I've already pulled out my original investment a few hours ago at the advise of a friend. Now I'm just waiting to see when I should cash out, which is a bit hard to do at the moment seeing as the share price is just shy of $70.

@Hexmage-PA, from the OP:
    Anyway, things this thread is NOT for:
    • Giving advice on stocks to buy. If you're going down that route, reddit is over there.
    • Discussing gambles you personally have made.

• Options
    Looks like a second short covering since it crashed again at the halt?

I like to ART
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    @Hexmage-PA, from the OP:
    Anyway, things this thread is NOT for:
    • Giving advice on stocks to buy. If you're going down that route, reddit is over there.
    • Discussing gambles you personally have made.

Noted and edited out from my post, thanks.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    For anyone in the thread not watching tickers, so far AMC has hit $72.62 high today, and GME has hit $294.00 around lunch time. They've both cooled off a little since.

IMO I think it's smaller shorts slowly covering AMC tackled with FOMO buy in, but the comparative charts from all of the 'meme stocks' against GME makes me think GMEs move is a lot healthier. AMC's halt on the way up before it hit $70 a share really pushed GME price by over $25 during the five minutes before coming right back down.

In any case, this market is just impossible to do any sort of real technical analysis on. 100% increase on AMC that is trading welllll over it's total float in shares a day is some Looney Toon nonsense.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I wonder how many of these people understand how murdered they're going to be with capital gains taxes. I'm willing to bet a fair share of them won't even know to pay the taxes on these sales.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    I wonder how many of these people understand how murdered they're going to be with capital gains taxes. I'm willing to bet a fair share of them won't even know to pay the taxes on these sales.
    A lot of them may not realize it, but capital gains doesn't change profitable trades into unprofitable ones. I haven't looked at WSB or whatever the new subreddits are specifically for GME/AMC, but in the past anytime someone posted a large gain people would chime in to set aside enough to pay capital gains.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »
    A lot of them may not realize it, but capital gains doesn't change profitable trades into unprofitable ones. I haven't looked at WSB or whatever the new subreddits are specifically for GME/AMC, but in the past anytime someone posted a large gain people would chime in to set aside enough to pay capital gains.

True, but it does change the point a trade is a worthwhile gain. Most people mentally go woo, I made 10,000$! Not, woo, I made 7500$ + some more taxes.

• Options
    Having just learned about the wash sale rule, I'm expecting to see a lot of that point up in 8 months time.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    The one I've seen more complaints about is crypto based. Where someone trades some crypto (all trades are taxable events) resulting in realizing a large gain. The new coin they have tanks, and they no longer even have an investment they can sell to cover the gain.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Stock sales are also notorious for bumping people up into new tax brackets temporarily also. So a lot of these people are going to think they need to pay at a certain rate when it may be higher.

Source: This happening to me the first few years I was dealing with company stock purchase plans.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    If you made even a couple grand on the stock market in a given year, you should probably fork over a couple hundred bucks for a professional to do your taxes for you.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Cauld wrote: »
    The one I've seen more complaints about is crypto based. Where someone trades some crypto (all trades are taxable events) resulting in realizing a large gain. The new coin they have tanks, and they no longer even have an investment they can sell to cover the gain.

Wait, what? You get taxed on unrealized gains, even if you then lose that gain?

Or am I completely not understanding what you said (This is quite possible)?

EDIT: Hang on, you said a realized gain. If you sell a stock/coin for a profit, then reinvest that money and lose it, you still owe income on the gain?

That's actually...I think I get it, but man, what a trap that can be.

Nova_C on