As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] A Very Aeldari Christmas

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So bored in meetings and running code so I am making lists.

I am liking this Deathwatch list. God I need two redemptors. I can basically field the rest now.
    ++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Deathwatch) [94 PL, 8CP, 1,998pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of Extra Relics

Stratagem: Sanction of the Black Vault [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [5 PL, -1CP, 105pts]: Dominus Aegis, Stratagem: A Vigil Unmatched, Warlord
    . 2. Paragon of their Chapter: Salamanders: Anvil of Strength
    . 6. The Ties That Bind (Aura)
    . Heavy bolt pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Relic shield: Master-crafted power sword, Relic Shield

Primaris Chaplain [6 PL, 110pts]: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 6. Canticle of Hate (Aura), Chapter Command: Master of Sanctity, Litany of Hate, The Tome of Ectoclades

Primaris Librarian [6 PL, 120pts]: 1. Premorphic Resonance, 2. Fortified With Contempt, 3. Neural Void, Chapter Command: Chief Librarian

+ Troops +

Fortis Kill Team [15 PL, 339pts]
    . Assault Intercessor
    . Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt rifle, Thunder hammer
    . 4x Intercessor w/ Bolt rifle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Bolt rifle, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
    . 4x Outrider: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Twin Bolt rifle

Fortis Kill Team [15 PL, 339pts]
    . Assault Intercessor
    . Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt rifle, Thunder hammer
    . 4x Intercessor w/ Bolt rifle: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Bolt rifle, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
    . 4x Outrider: 4x Astartes Chainsword, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Twin Bolt rifle

Proteus Kill Team [14 PL, 345pts]
    . Black Shield: Lightning Claw, Thunder hammer
    . Deathwatch Terminator
    . . Thunder hammer and Storm shield: Thunder hammer
    . Deathwatch Terminator
    . . Thunder hammer and Storm shield: Thunder hammer
    . Deathwatch Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield
    . Deathwatch Veteran w/ Heavy Thunder Hammer: Heavy thunder hammer
    . Deathwatch Veteran w/ Heavy Thunder Hammer: Heavy thunder hammer
    . Veteran Biker: Astartes Chainsword
    . Watch Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Master-Crafted Weapon, Thunder hammer

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 175pts]
    . 4x Bladeguard Veteran: 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 4x Master-crafted power sword, 4x Storm Shield
    . Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Heavy Bolt Pistol

Primaris Apothecary [5 PL, -1CP, 95pts]: Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Fragstorm Grenade Launchers, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

++ Total: [94 PL, 8CP, 1,998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

That Proteus kill team is just a murder machine that is hard to kill. On the charge it is 15 thunder hammer attacks (5 at 3+ to hit even after the minus). 13 lightning claw attacks plus 1 that is master crafted (again depends on the target). And 4 chainsword attacks. They can heroically intervene and fall back and charge for 1 cp. You can deliver them via teleportium or strategic reserve. You can do a bunch of tricks to get them into combat on the charge too. Just a mean little unit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I was having a browse through Troll Traders Genestealer stuff for anything interesting.

2 Hybrids with Rock Saws for 8 pounds.

Sure, I’ll take 2 of the most sought after heavy weapons which you only get one of in a box, attached to bodies, for less than I’d find just 1 of the actual weapons themselves anywhere else.

yeah sometimes the prices they list are ridiculous, i dont know if it's a mistake on their part but its worth keeping an eye out for bargains

I think it’s more that they have standardised pricing. The two Rock Saws were the same price as two Rock Drills they also had. Their Patriarchs/Broodlords are all the same price, +\- a pound if painted or on sprue.

They have a Sanctus with Rifle and a Biophagus, for the same price. The Sanctus is a fairly solid pick, but the Biophagus doesn’t even make it into ‘for fun’ lists.

They don’t price based on general demand. So sometimes you see something way cheaper than it should be.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If I'm doing the math right, and you're playing Blood Angels, and you bring an Outrider Squad, and you have them charge in the Assault Phase, than they get 22 S4 AP-2 close combat attacks from a 150 point unit.

The breakdown being 2 attacks from each biker, then one of them gets +1 attack for being a Sergeant, then they each get get +1 attack from their chainswords, +2 attacks from Devastating Charge, +1 attack from Angels of Death, and +1 attack from Savage Echoes, for a total of 22 attacks (that are also +1 to Wound). If you hit them with Unleash Rage beforehand they'd have exploding 6s to hit, and if they were fighting Chaos marines and you used Vengeance for Sanguinius than I think they'd have double exploding 6s to hit.

Also, Honour The Chapter works on bikers, so for 3CP you could make them fight again at the end of the fight phase and unless there is some rules inconsistency get 44 attacks in a single turn from a 150 point unit.

Jesus.

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Outriders are great. Mine were total champs during the tournament and they are in fact great on the charge. Now mine aren't blood angels, but the issues I have found with them are the fact that they are only S4, with no special weapon access and their offensive output is pretty bad off the charge. Also for the assault doctrine benefit, that's round 3 and frankly mine were usually either dead by them, or had beaten up all the nerds I'd smashed them into and the one remaining wounded guy was sitting out of LOS on an objective.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    In WoW there was a talk about talking as many minis that even barrage weapons could not kill them all
    One of them was 3 Warrior Primes 300 Termagants @10X30 and 30 to 39 Gargoyles. I know I only have 1 prime and 144 Termagants 30 gargoyles but that would be a silly army to play with
    I know long ago I bought that instant swarm which is why I have so many termagants but doing that again when they only come 12 to a box that's 13 more boxes to get and a year plus of painting termagants

Someone else said doing an all grot army would be gross as it's over 350 models I think he said he had 3 meks leading it

What started it was someone was making fun of how hard it is to get a reseller army for 40k in the pandemic
    It turned to the above but one army someone was trying to get people into I thought at first he was defending the Death Guard's Combat Patrol box as he was saying it would be fun to play with a ton of pox walkers
    He has been taking he said something like 100 in 1000 point games with the death guard herding them and was making fun with the right points or such they are hard to kill and are beasts in hand to hand with the number they can pile on

Still like I said the tyranid one would be interesting knowing it's only 13 more boxes of termagants and I would have to get 2 more boxes of warriors for the prime but my brother starting in horror know if he brought x it would only dent the line and I was making fun of the number of dice that would be used just in shooting

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    We have no clue to what codex might come after Drukhari, right?

Except for maybe that teased admech character model.

And no date for the Drukhari codex, too?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    We have no clue to what codex might come after Drukhari, right?

Except for maybe that teased admech character model.

And no date for the Drukhari codex, too?

I think orks because of the coin and rumor pics

All I know for the new Drukhari codex is soon like this quarter

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What about Sisters of Battle? Between the boxed set, the new character type and the funky walker, along with several Rumour Engine pics that could be ecclesiarchy types a new book seems imminent.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I've never played against an obscene horde list (something like the 100 poxwalkers mentioned above), but I think it would either be a complete unfun slog, or a total blast.

Seeing how my Marines fair against wave after wave of an endless trashmob would be interesting. I guess I'd have to hope I brought a lot of assbacks and Stormtalons.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What about Sisters of Battle? Between the boxed set, the new character type and the funky walker, along with several Rumour Engine pics that could be ecclesiarchy types a new book seems imminent.

Totally forgot about the walker. That would indeed make sense.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Honour the Chapter is only for Assault Intercessors now, isn't it?
    Outriders seem like a fun bully unit, but there's no way they live to turn 3 assault phase unless you're being super cagy with them for the entire game or dumping even more CP into them.
    Also the thing with bikers that always gets me in 9th is overestimating their speed. Because they cant breach through terrain, they can get really screwed position wise. 14" (or even 20") doesn't seem nearly that far when you have to spend most of it driving around the walls you were using as protection. Don't ever assume you're just going to be driving in a straight line (if you are, you're table doesn't have enough terrain).

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Honour the Chapter is only for Assault Intercessors now, isn't it?

Yeah, it’s specifically Assault Intercessors; not even regular or heavy Intercessors get it, never mind bikers.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I don't play Bangles, just a fun thought experiment.

I've been wanting to get some stuff painted in anticipation of a game I'll be playing on Saturday, but it's been either too windy or too raining this entire week, which means I can't spray basecoats outside. What chaos god do I have to pray to to get some decent weather?

• Options
    I think, because of the limitations McGibs mentioned, Outriders are one of those units that falls into the happy category of "good, but not a broken auto-take".
    My Outrider experience has generally been:
    Deployment: stick an on the flanks ideally away from the big scary guns where there is something squishy opposite they can bully.
    Turn 1: drive forward and dakka. If some kind of of screening unit or other target of opportunity is in charge range, charge it while making chainsaw noises.
    Turn 2: spend 2 CP, to use False Flight, a raven guard stratagem that allow them to fall back and still shoot and charge. Ride off and smash violently into some nerds holding an objective.
    Turn 3 onwards: they're usually dead by this point or are not an effective fighting force, the the 1 wounded guy who is left parks somewhere useful.

I love love love them and think I need to invest the measly 1 cp to give the sarge a master crafted chainsword.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'd be so afraid to just run into a deathguard army and then that's 1cp wasted.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah it's a bit of a gamble, but we (I at least) seem to still be in a marine meta, so I'd guess that for every Death Guard list it's wasted against, there will be a couple of Marine lists it will be mint against. In fact checking the breakdown, at the tournament I went to Marines and CSM outnumbered Death Guard 3:1. And damage two is still pretty hot against other factions as well.

• Options
    Next DE datasheet: Venom gets +1 attack and bladevanes get +1 strength

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Useful change for Reavers, verrrrry situational on Venoms.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Built some assault intercessors today, gave them jetpacks. These are some pretty nice models

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I've gone and bought myself the first Horus Heresy novel.

Gonna take me a long time to read through them all.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Let me know what you think about it. I’m not big on Warhammer fiction when it’s just Big Names doing Big Things. ADB has spoiled me for good Warhammer writing with Spears of the Emperor, and I certainly don’t have time for something like Guy Haley’s Avenging Son.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

I mean, reading ALL of them would be a solid two months of reading for me and some of them just aren't worth reading. The original trilogy is solid, and there have been a few lists of 'essential Horus Heresy titles' based on relevance to the plot and general readability, although I haven't had to think about them in quite some time.

Of course if you're being a completionist, have fun.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Being on a Word Bearers kick, I read all of the ADB books over the last week or so. So I can definitely recommend First Heretic and Betrayer unreservedly. I also really like the Aurelian novella.

Argel Tal, my man, you should have listened to Raum.

Definitely got me super jacked to play my evil preachers more in 40k though.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    With the bundle of night lords books I am tempted to get so other than a vague fact on a 40k lore site that I built my primaris night lords on
    Burnage wrote: »

Ok the venoms one is ok but where is this preview?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    With the bundle of night lords books I am tempted to get so other than a vague fact on a 40k lore site that I built my primaris night lords on
    Burnage wrote: »

Ok the venoms one is ok but where is this preview?

Reavers and Venoms have the same melee weapon. I'm assuming Reavers will benefit from the change to +1 S instead of flat S4 as well, which will let them use combat drugs if you want them to be better at wounding.

• Options
    Now reavers just need useful hooks and caltrops

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    I just started reading/listening to the Infinite and the Divine, partly after all the hype in this thread, and can confirm that it is great and Trazyn is great. I've always thought of Necrons as not having much character, but I love the idea that they still have all these feuds and obsessions going back millennia.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That was pretty great. I always like seeing how GW's ranges have changed over the years. Not a video, but I recently read through a blog that looked at how Tyranids have changed from Rogue Trader to 5th edition. Here are the links if anyone is curious.

Rogue Trader
    Second Edition
    Third Edition
    Fourth Edition
    Fifth Edition

He stopped there, but I guess the range hasn't really evolved since then. We've gotten the Harpy kit, Malceptor kit, Exocrine kit and updated Warrior kit, but anything that might actually change has been stuck since 5th edition or earlier (Pyrovore, Biovore, Lictor and 'character' Tyranids).

Still, it's cool to go back and see the original chicken warriors and Screamer Killer.

• Options
    I dread but sadly know what the craftworld one is as I still play with some of the models

Getting the CSM in shadowspear is why I thought about rebooting my Word Bearers army {As I do have one of the CSM terminators they showed in the video} But how is a research and such. They do in the video make fun of the berserkers and how old they are as I was tempted to get that deal of 48 and Kharn
    My brother has a tyranid army from the third edition he said he traded a signed hat for it
    Most of my tyranid army comes from the fourth and fifth editions as there are plastic reavers ? Shows I have been looking but I lack a lot of the bigger bugs and have a lot of warriors from the pre prime sprue
    So that army I am tapping the breaks on waiting for their codex {Spring will be here soon so I can start painting once more!}

• Options
    I'm starting a Crusade campaign with a friend today. We're starting off with a 1,000 point game so we can get the post-game stuff taken care of without it taking too long.

The basic backstory for today's game is that my chapter of Space Marines were relayed a distress call from a small Imperial labor outpost, they send a small patrol out to investigate, and when they arrive it's wrecked and deserted. They are then ambushed by the small freshly awakened force of Necrons that had killed everyone because whoopsturnsoutit'saTombWorld.jpg (being represented in-game by my army getting a deployment zone that extends fairly close to the outpost, and my opponent's entire army coming in as reserves on Turn 2 as they claw their way out from under the ground). Should be interesting.

My w/l record with 40K isn't super great, so I look forward to seeing half of my army being saddled with battle scars to the point where they are barely functional on the battlefield a few months from now.

• Options
    My brother has a tyranid army from the third edition he said he traded a signed hat for it

If what's in that blog is correct, most of the 3rd edition Tyranids were rushed out to production. It really shows in anything that's in metal. Their plastic absolutely stood the test of time though.

4th edition was weird for Tyranids because they underwent an almost entire range redesign again, for the third edition in a row.

But hey, third times the charm, right? Those designs have stuck around.

• Options
    I have the metal hive tyrant from fourth as like I have said long ago when I won the assault swarm apoc army got the instant swarm deal on ebay along with the battleforce box of old and a metal tyrant
    But I put it away until 10 years+ later when I pulled it out and started to build it

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I have a friend who uses some old Tyranid models for kill team. They look like they come from a Mars Attacks! extended universe

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Pretty sure I still have a second edition hive tyrant and carnifex somewhere. I remember them being a nightmare to build because the bits were so heavy - the carnifex's arms kept falling off and the hive tyrant couldn't stay upright. I do not miss metal models.

fray on
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    What's more recent? The death guard codex or the 2021 power level update?

I can't figure out which I should be using... Battlescribe and the 40k app both have the same values, and they're different than the 2021 PL update on the faq site. (Ie: the pl update lists poxwalkers at 3pl per ten and the app and battlescribe both list them as 2per ten.)

I assume it should be up to date in the app, but battlescribe tends to have lots of errors and the 40k app is a mess.

At the stage my buddy and I are at in this crusade, 25pl, it makes a pretty big difference.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2021
    PL was pre codex

Edit: actually, codex was probably printed prior but released late due to delays - I would use the PL update

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    fray wrote: »
    Pretty sure I still have a second edition hive tyrant and carnifex somewhere. I remember them being a nightmare to build because the bits were so heavy - the carnifex's arms kept falling off and the hive tyrant couldn't stay upright. I do not miss metal models.

I don’t recall having that problem myself, but metal is why pinning was a required skill back then.

Plastic really is the superior material for gaming pieces .

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, I mean I was 12, so my hobby skills weren't that great :D You don't even want to see the stuff I painted back then.

fray on
  • Options
    fray wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean I was 12, so my hobby skills weren't that great :D You don't even want to see the stuff I painted back then.

Yeah, I was that old back then too.

However, I had an older brother who would do things like pin models for me without telling me while I was at school. So it’s likely in my case he did that and I just never knew, so that’s why they didn’t fall apart. I don’t have them anymore to check.