Options

[WH40K] A Very Aeldari Christmas

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Talking about that hardened by war model, I really like that he's wearing his coat over his bionic arm. Way too many 40k models leave their bionic limps totally exposed.

Even if it looks like it must've been quite the struggle to get that arm into the coat :)

It’s a kriegsman; the coat is surgically attached too. :razz:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Just assume he has a metal plate in his head.

Wounding an ork requires shooting it anywhere but the head. That's why they have so low saves: giant bodies and (relatively) small heads.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I was considering a helghast themed scheme for the Kriegers... But there's an obvious issue with that idea. Especially now.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was considering a helghast themed scheme for the Kriegers... But there's an obvious issue with that idea. Especially now.

I am curious and scared that with the Kreig guard there will be gate keeping given their popularity from forgeworld

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlCaIWX5XhQ

the absolute madlad cannot be stopped

also, holy shit forgeworld quality control continues to be awful

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I am very excited for Kill Team based on these rules.

Edit: I am almost about to order a box in fact.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

also, holy shit forgeworld quality control continues to be awful

Saw a post on Reddit that someone ordered Maloghurst and received a blister with some other, as-yet-officially-unrevealed, Sons of Horus Praetor.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    How is everything not being produced in plastic these days?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Or at minimum, just not garbage quality resin

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Plastic is very expensive for low volume items. The molds cost fuckloads.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »
    Plastic is very expensive for low volume items. The molds cost fuckloads.

Which brings up questions about some of the smaller games or games where more is known about the minis than the game Kingdom Death as they get their plastic stuff form China so you get questionable resin knock offs and they offer the real stuff in photo resist

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Resin molds are actually cheaper to build than plastic ones are, but the resin material itself is much more expensive than raw plastic. This means resin is a good choice economically if you plan on only making a small number of models, some examples being random characters that you don't anticipate having a huge demand (like an Exhalted Hero of Chaos), random upgrade packs (like the kit of Space Marine meltaguns), or huge models that you may only move a handful of 0er year (like a Warlord, or a Manta).

Plastic molds are much more expensive to build initially, but plastic itself is dirt cheap (I just checked and the current average cost for Polystyrene plastic runs around .70 Euro per kilogram, or around $1.83 per pound). This means plastic is a good choice economically if you're looking at a model that you are going to be manufacturing a lot of, like troops. The mold is more expensive to build, but you'll be paying less for materials in the long run, so you'll ultimately be saving money. That $35 character in a clampack is made up of just a few cents worth of plastic.

Resin molds and plastic molds are very different, with different styles and the material itself being at different temperatures and pressures. When the new version of Adeptus Titanicus was being developed and the decision was made to make it a plastic product instead of a resin one, the models had to be redesigned to accommodate the change, as an example.

I don't know how metal factors into things, other than a general assumption that it's more expensive than resin since GW does not design new models in metal but will still occasionally drop a new model in resin.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    IIRC the Manta model is entirely made to order, which makes the part quality kinda lame

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I'd be pretty pissed if I spent $1,700 on a model and it arrived with pieces that were warped and with mold slips. I know that working with resin is different than working with plastic, and that Forge World stuff is always going to require some cleanup, but you can have someone do some more extensive QA on something that costs almost two thousand dollars.

Also, where do you guys recommend offloading models online? I have a couple of limited models and some other stuff that I feel like I can offload, but I don't want to have to deal with Facebook or Reddit.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    eBay?

Ad at the flgs?

honovere on
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    It bugs the shit out of me forgeworld has sort of created this expectation that resin = problems with fitting)slips/bubbles. That they can send such an expensive piece out in that nick. Urgh. Id be expecting replacements for a lot of that.

Resin is amazing when done right!

J on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    J wrote: »
    It bugs the shit out of me forgeworld has sort of created this expectation that resin = problems with fitting)slips/bubbles. That they can send such an expensive piece out in that nick. Urgh. Id be expecting replacements for a lot of that.

Resin is amazing when done right!

I just bought a bunch of conquest stuff and the resin characters they make are amazing. Easily some of the most detailed sculpts I've ever seen with zero issues.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I am very excited for Kill Team based on these rules.

Edit: I am almost about to order a box in fact.

is that this weekend?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    The new box isn't until August I believe

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    eBay?

Ad at the flgs?

The big LGS in town has a very strict THOU SHALT DISCUSS PRIVATE TRANSACTIONS IN THE STORE, YOU WILL ONLY BE ALLOWED TO USE OUR CONSIGNMENT SERVICE, WHICH WE CHARGE A STEEP FEE FOR outlook.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Victoria Miniatures are resin, and I was very happy with the stuff I got from them. The detail was comparable to modern GW plastic kits. I haven't worked with metal minis in years, but I'm about to with the new Infinity Code One battle pack coming in August. Speaking of, wasn't there an Infinity thread a while back? I remember seeing one, and forum search comes up with like 2017 stuff.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I don’t know how it is elsewhere, but if you don’t want to use Facebook marketplace, there is usually a miniatures buy&sell discussion group on Facebook or the discord.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Resin is a great material in the hands of most of the smaller mini producers.

FW resin is straight dogshit 75% of the time, somehow. If it's a new mold for a one-off character or something it's probably fine. If it's an older mold (like the Mk IV assault marines I bought a few years ago) or a large model then good luck!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Hand to hand rules and another movement rule in today's hype for kill team
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/16/close-combat-is-a-deadly-dance-of-death-in-new-kill-team/

3rwqhvmih33z.png
    We’ve had a few questions about how movement works in the new edition. Effectively, it has evolved. Distances are now measured using cleverly designed gauges which are broken down into four increments – 1″, 2″, 3″, and 6″ – each of which corresponds to a different shape. Units move in increments of 2″ (denoted by ◯), and most have either two or three ◯.

This new system makes navigating terrain much easier – the cost to climb a ladder or vault a barricade is usually ◯, so most troops can move 4″ in total if they also cleared an obstacle during their turn. Using the nifty gauges speeds everything up massively, as there’s no need for fiddly measuring of exact vertical distances.

Distances in Kill Team are ultimately still measured in inches, so you’re very welcome to stick to your trusty tape measure if you prefer.
    I am quite sure they had more than enough questions about the other day's poorly explained movement article

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Units move in increments of 2″ (denoted by ◯)
    Losing my mind

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I'd be pretty pissed if I spent $1,700 on a model and it arrived with pieces that were warped and with mold slips. I know that working with resin is different than working with plastic, and that Forge World stuff is always going to require some cleanup, but you can have someone do some more extensive QA on something that costs almost two thousand dollars.

Also, where do you guys recommend offloading models online? I have a couple of limited models and some other stuff that I feel like I can offload, but I don't want to have to deal with Facebook or Reddit.

r/miniswap and bartertown or facebook groups are generally the goto

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Units move in increments of 2″ (denoted by ◯)
    Losing my mind

I love that the article says "This new system makes navigating terrain much easier" and immediately follows up with "the cost to climb a ladder or vault a barricade is usually ◯"

Whoever thought this was a sensible change was wrong

Burnage on
  • Options
    Turning into John Goodman from the Big Lebowski

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    nah, its more intuitive than "measure vertical distance" and I know enough people who get thrown off by having to do subtraction that its also more intuitive than "-2 inches of movement"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    nah, its more intuitive than "measure vertical distance" and I know enough people who get thrown off by having to do subtraction that its also more intuitive than "-2 inches of movement"

This may sound elitist, but if someone has trouble doing subtractions I don't think wargaming is the right hobby for them.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    While it is better to not have to try to measure vertically, I don't see how the nifty gauges lead to that change.

I'd hope 'subtract 2 from your movement when crossing terrain or moving vertically' shouldn't be more difficult than 'subtract O'.

I suppose you could do stuff like have a unit's Movement be 6▲, and then have you subtract one ▲ instead of O for that unit, making them more mobile. (Although the article doesn't say you subtract one [symbol], but one O...)

//

I will say that the close combat rules do seem really fun. Both players just rolling attacks and going back and forth deciding whether to use successes to "strike" or "block" is neat, giving a player the option to take more wounds in order to deal more.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I get it now. So on the Guardsman data card, he has a move value of 3O. Each O is 2", so they have a 6" move.

A little wonky, but I'll see how it works out.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I think it probably feels less silly for people that have no experience with Warhammer and other games where you measure inches all the time.

It still is a bit silly anyway because the symbols are not really intuitive and basically just switch out numbers for words that are also symbols.

I feel it's mostly a bad choice because if how much it drowns out the actual rules they show.

Anyway, the close combat system sounds interesting. That you can decide between tanking and attacking seems fun. I wonder if charging gives any advantage outside of getting the first choice.

Power weapon Vs. bayonet would probably have the bayonet guy parry frantically with all of his dice with a single crit on 5+ being already almost enough to take a guardsman out.

I really want to see the stats for a grot an ork and maybe a Marine for a start to kinda get a feel for the range of stats the game uses.

honovere on
  • Options
    New rules open up a lot od space for interesting abilities and traits that old rules didnt really allow for.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Me over here not caring about "cleverly designed" measuring tools

Getting excited that Stompas might actually be viable sometime soon

The new vehicle rules for orks look great.

That said I saw a leak of what the various kulturs are getting and if it's reliable it feels like nerfs across the board other than Goffs and snakebites.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    It still is a bit silly anyway because the symbols are not really intuitive and basically just switch out numbers for words that are also symbols.

If they were going to use symbols they 100% should have just copied PlayStation's O, X, △, □. (Though I guess with ⬡ instead of □.)

//

The attack characteristic/WS being native to a weapon instead of a unit is also interesting. I wonder if a Veteran Guardsman's Power Weapon is going to be different than another faction's. (I guess that also holds true for ranged weapons' BS - and means they must, surely.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

This may sound elitist, but if someone has trouble doing subtractions I don't think wargaming is the right hobby for them.

*may?*

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    The problem with the symbols lies mostly with movement I think.

It seems they want to keep it quite granular with 2 inch steps and movement modifiers.

If it was less granular you could have just 3 or 4 symbols for everything. Like one unit has move circle, one has move square. But putting another number in front of it makes it feel weird to say. This unit moves 3 circles but is minus 1 circle because of the ladder.

Also less complex words would be better. triangle? Hexagon!?

Could've just been green, yellow, red, or white, gray, black, or a,b,c, etc.

• Options
    I feel they went with symbols because of language problems. Colors can rub off or wear away
    Still the measurement tools are odd but again they poorly explained movement and since tired to retain hype without really saying how the rulebook explains it

• Options
    *may?*

We know that losing wounds impacts movement (though they haven't yet revealed how). If it turns out that, say, units get -1O movement when below half wounds, and my Guardsman on 3 wounds is moving over an obstacle, then I know they can move: 3O (base) -1O (wounds lost) -1O (obstacle) = 1O.

Someone who can grasp that should be able to grasp: 6" (base) -2" (wounds lost) -2" (obstacle) = 2".

It might even turn out that units get -1O when below 2/3rds wounds, and -2O when below 1/3rd. If someone can handle simple fractions, they should be able to handle simple subtraction.

Any way it ends up, someone is going to need to be old enough to grasp basic math.