As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Haven't been on the bike in weeks, all the gains I've made are gone. I just can't find the motivation to go on the bike. When it's time for me to go on I almost have a panic attack.

Don't know what's wrong.

Doesn't help that my toddler has been sleeping terribly recently and I'm always exhausted.

I mean, that's pretty reasonable right there. It's hard to do stuff when you don't have the energy, and then shame and other feelings of letting yourself/others down just compound and...well I'm just projecting now, really.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Haven't been on the bike in weeks, all the gains I've made are gone. I just can't find the motivation to go on the bike. When it's time for me to go on I almost have a panic attack.

Don't know what's wrong.

Doesn't help that my toddler has been sleeping terribly recently and I'm always exhausted.

It's okay to not feel up to exercising when you have like, a toddler and an apocalypse to handle

You can also try other gentler forms of exercise if that helps? Going for walks, yoga, a brief few stretches?

But you could also see about chatting with a therapist and working through the issue if it's problematic, too! Never hurts to get a mental tune-up to go with the physical one

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I should get a footbath going actually since it's my calves and feets that hurt most. Need to find a suitable tub to fill with warm water and soak em.

I need to scrub some calluses off then anyway...

Soaking felt really good like omg I need to do this more often.

After the pandemic I should get a pedicure too...

The thing I fell in love with this past year, to the point where I asked for more as birthday/Christmas presents, was reusable cold compresses. I was still obese when I started running, and after I got back and stretched I’d put them on my knees and they helped immensely. I still use them after long runs or whenever I start feeling any kind of twinges.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My brain is sabotaging me something hard this week.

Last week I did 2 miles every day.

This week, I've been lucky to squeeze a mile in.

And the food situation this week has just been a carbs extravaganza. Because the kid gets sandwiches for lunch, but the loaf of bread is too big that unless I also eat some through the week, it goes moldy and we're throwing out half loaves of bread. At least it's wholemeal bread. But then I also needed to use up some bolognese sauce that I'd made and I decided to make some stufed canneloni with it and they're amazing, but too much cheese for hubby and too much sauce for the kid and so I've got a whole tray to eat all week and not enough room in the freezer to freeze it for later.

At the start of the week I was 500g away from 10kg lost. and I'm really doubting that I'm going to get there by next week.

But, I shall push on!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My brain is sabotaging me something hard this week.

Last week I did 2 miles every day.

This week, I've been lucky to squeeze a mile in.

And the food situation this week has just been a carbs extravaganza. Because the kid gets sandwiches for lunch, but the loaf of bread is too big that unless I also eat some through the week, it goes moldy and we're throwing out half loaves of bread. At least it's wholemeal bread. But then I also needed to use up some bolognese sauce that I'd made and I decided to make some stufed canneloni with it and they're amazing, but too much cheese for hubby and too much sauce for the kid and so I've got a whole tray to eat all week and not enough room in the freezer to freeze it for later.

At the start of the week I was 500g away from 10kg lost. and I'm really doubting that I'm going to get there by next week.

But, I shall push on!

Besides the weight loss do you feel like you have more stamina and are any stronger after all the exercise? Sometimes just being like "Hey these grocery bags aren't as heavy" is really nice.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    My coworkers solution to excess food at the house is to give it to me, so if you feel bad about waste, give it to a neighbor or something.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I know you said your freezer was full, but - is it possibly time for a freezer purge? Or is it all actually-going-to-be-used stuff? I just did a freezer purge myself of old stuff I'm definitely never going to eat.

If you have space in the freezer by the way, you can totally freeze bread. It's the only way I treat loaves, because like you said, it's impossible to eat a full loaf before it gets moldy otherwise. I either wrap it whole in tinfoil and reheat the loaf in the oven or I slice it all and pull out slices at a time to come back to room temperature. Either one works fine and will 100% improve your bread consumption crisis, or at least it sure did for me.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Friday weigh-in
    Last week: 160 lbs
    This week: 160 lbs

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I was going to run today but I've had a busy week wrt cycling and running. Last night the tendons/ligaments down the back of both knees were moderately tender. They were actually ok this morning after a hot shower and good sleep but decided to err on the side of caution as I want either a long bike ride or long walk at the weekend.

So I did a gentle half hour on the exercise bike (pretty much just spinning the pedals round for movement and blood flow with only a bit of resistance on the flywheel) and then we did day 22 of the current 30 days of yoga (that we started at the beginning of Feb :rotate: ). It turned out to be a leg/hip stretch heavy one which was perfect.

I have bad form for not stretching after cycling, especially commute cycling, and it really shows. But I think I'm already seing a bit of improved flexibility, improved for me at any rate. I'm going to try and be better at doing at least a couple minutes each commute and we're going to carry on with the yoga. We don't manage everyday but some is better than none.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Well my marathon is finally tomorrow. I'm doing race prep today, getting all my nutrition in order and whatnot. I'm also getting nervous, but the training has been successful, so I don't see why it won't be a good day.

If you're bored af tomorrow and want to track my progress, there's an app for that. I'll be in bib #618 (there was a bit of a tech blip so I'm not in the system yet), starting at 7:40 AM and hopefully ending between 12:30 to 1:00, but I've never run a marathon before, not to mention one with nearly 4,000 feet of elevation gain, so who knows. If I'm having fun I might even post stories here and there on my Instagram.

That's enough from me for today, I'm gonna go eat spaghetti and try to fall asleep at 7pm.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Good luck @Icemopper !

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Yep yep, go for it!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Please remember to have fun and not die!

We're all cheering for you!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I was at the climbing wall today

And doing this problem where you have two shit footholds, and your left hand is in a good two-finger pocket, and you have to dyno up a steep overhang to a three finger pocket where your feet come off as you do it

So basically you hit the move and have to control yourself on two fingers on your left hand, and three on your right, hang for a moment to control the swing, get your feet up, and then carry on

Well anyway I did the move... hit the right hand... and felt a sudden shooting pain in my right forearm and hand, had to drop off straight away

Now my right ring finger is in pain if I use it to exert pressure, like the pain goes down the forearm. Which means a FUCKING TENDON INJURY

I am fucking raging and really upset. I hope it's not serious, and that it feels better within a few days. I can form a fist, and pinch things, and it's only when I really engage the tip and press that it hurts, which makes me hopeful that it's not tooooo bad

Ice, and a few days off, are in order. Fucking sucks. If it is more serious it could mean that finger is out of action for weeks, even months :(

Solar on
  • Options
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Well my marathon is finally tomorrow. I'm doing race prep today, getting all my nutrition in order and whatnot. I'm also getting nervous, but the training has been successful, so I don't see why it won't be a good day.

If you're bored af tomorrow and want to track my progress, there's an app for that. I'll be in bib #618 (there was a bit of a tech blip so I'm not in the system yet), starting at 7:40 AM and hopefully ending between 12:30 to 1:00, but I've never run a marathon before, not to mention one with nearly 4,000 feet of elevation gain, so who knows. If I'm having fun I might even post stories here and there on my Instagram.

That's enough from me for today, I'm gonna go eat spaghetti and try to fall asleep at 7pm.

Technology is awesome, and we live in magical times.

u7oi1lem44eg.jpeg

I feel inspired to go for a run myself.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

And doing this problem where you have two shit footholds, and your left hand is in a good two-finger pocket, and you have to dyno up a steep overhang to a three finger pocket where your feet come off as you do it

So basically you hit the move and have to control yourself on two fingers on your left hand, and three on your right, hang for a moment to control the swing, get your feet up, and then carry on

Well anyway I did the move... hit the right hand... and felt a sudden shooting pain in my right forearm and hand, had to drop off straight away

Now my right ring finger is in pain if I use it to exert pressure, like the pain goes down the forearm. Which means a FUCKING TENDON INJURY

I am fucking raging and really upset. I hope it's not serious, and that it feels better within a few days. I can form a fist, and pinch things, and it's only when I really engage the tip and press that it hurts, which makes me hopeful that it's not tooooo bad

Ice, and a few days off, are in order. Fucking sucks. If it is more serious it could mean that finger is out of action for weeks, even months :(

@Solar hey my dude if you're in a place where you can go get an exam easily you should totally do that (says the human who's had a fucked up elbow for months)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So my brothers and I have set a goal/support structure to aim and lose 40 lbs by Christmas. I'm at 475, my middle bro hasn't done his weigh in yet, and my youngest bro is at 375.

I know tracking food intake is super important, especially as I depression eat.

I am wondering: what is the current gold standard for nutrition tracking? I have used MyFitnessPal off and on for the last 10 years, so I could continue that. I am also thinking of getting a fitbit to replace my few year old garmin vivosmart he+. So I want something that can work with that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Usagi wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

@Solar hey my dude if you're in a place where you can go get an exam easily you should totally do that (says the human who's had a fucked up elbow for months)

I am going to get an appointment with a physio on monday when my GP opens and see what they say

I suspect that it's strained, and hopefully therefore it will not be too bad and recovery relatively soon

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    So my brothers and I have set a goal/support structure to aim and lose 40 lbs by Christmas. I'm at 475, my middle bro hasn't done his weigh in yet, and my youngest bro is at 375.

I am wondering: what is the current gold standard for nutrition tracking? I have used MyFitnessPal off and on for the last 10 years, so I could continue that. I am also thinking of getting a fitbit to replace my few year old garmin vivosmart he+. So I want something that can work with that.

I use Fitbit, for the convenience of having the estimated calories burned alongside the calories consumed. But MyFitmessPal is probably more popular overall. Either way, IMO the important thing about any tracker is just being relatively honest with it. I think that it doesn’t really matter if one tracker thinks a given food is 20 calories more or less than the other. What matters is the honest accounting of “yes, I ate A, B, C, and D today, and they come to approximately X calories.”

• Options

MyFitnessPal has the widest food library but some mediocre user interface design

Chronometer and LoseIt are probably the most popular competitors and I think people who aim more for macros tend to use Chronometer more; avoid Noom, it was bugged as hell when I tried it and gave my sister and I 1200 calories as a goal which... no

I'd also recommend not using MFP's calorie goal setting if you're trying to find your TDEE (and subtracting 500/day for roughly 1lb/week or less). Instead, either Precision Nutrition or (if you want to get crunchy with numbers and equations) sailrabbit.com; they're both better for figuring out calorie goals including exercise and activity level and such

Steam
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    TDEE?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    So yeah I finished the marathon a while ago, in just under 5 hours total. I had so much fun out there, met up with a few friends running, and the community support was such a boon. The last 4 miles were the hardest but also the flattest, I was just drained and my muscles were really starting to complain.

But I've now run my first marathon, one that is purported to be the "toughest marathon in America" with whatever metric, and I'm super proud of that. I'm definitely going to do it again.

I've got pizza on the way, Stone IPA in the fridge, and a cat on my lap, and I think this is the proper way to recover. That and I'm turning my alarm clock off for the first time in a year.

Thank you all for your inspiration and support while I've been training, I really needed it in so many ways.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's an estimation that takes your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and multiplies it by a given factor based on your activity level. For example, if you basically just putter around the house all day most days, 1.2x your BMR, and if you do very active sports six or seven days a week 1.75x your BMR. The upside is that these are pretty simple and straightforward. Say that it says that your TDEE is 3,000 calories and you want to lose weight at a rate of 1 pound per week - you basically just need to average 2,500 calories a day for that to happen. The downside is that people often misestimate their activity level, or fail to update their goals as they lose weight. Fat burns calories in of itself - the difference in TDEE between say a 320 pound man with a sedentary lifestyle and a 190 pound man with a sedentary lifestyle is about 1,000 calories a day! It's also an estimate based on estimates, so while it's going to be reasonably accurate for most people, there is definitely some individual variation.

Most of the downsides can be accounted for by periodically evaluating where you stand. If after a few months you're not seeing results in your trend, reevaluate your settings. You may be overestimating your activity or underestimating your calories. Weighing in regularly - it doesn't have to be daily by any means, but ideally more frequently than weekly - can help identity your trend. The trend is far, far more important than any individual number on the scale. Keep in mind that the typical human being needs at least half an ounce to an ounce of fluid per pound of bodyweight per day. For myself currently at 190 pounds, that means 2.8 to 5.6 litres of fluid a day, which is over 12 pounds of fluid alone! Most of that gets cycled out again pretty quickly, but if I have a lot of salty food or I'm stressed or I just hit the scale at the "wrong" moment I can see that I've (apparently) gained a large amount of weight overnight. The movement of water on and off the body will dwarf any weight loss from fat over the short term. Knowing your trend means that when you look at the scale and see you've moved up half a dozen pounds overnight you can just shrug and move on.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Hey @Icemopper , super proud of you, mate. And a little scared of you for your power and persistence. You're amazing.

• Options
    Whelp... Now I remember why I always fell off tracking calories. I find myself starving myself because I feel guilty about my choices.

• Options
    Well v

My goal for today was to get to 128.6. that would be 10kgs lost.

Got on the scale this morning and it read

Squeak!

Feels so good.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Whelp... Now I remember why I always fell off tracking calories. I find myself starving myself because I feel guilty about my choices.

It might be worth looking into speaking with a nutritionist(or whichever is the certified one)/therapist who can help you along this journey. You certainly don't have to do it on your own.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2021

From there it really depends on how it's making you feel, honestly; if you can't do a full 500 calorie cut, start with 50-100 calories a week until you see weight loss at all. Don't cut out foods that bring you joy - but aim for like 80 percent good food and 20 percent food you love. I'm still losing weight and able to eat ice cream sandwiches, pad Thai, etc., it's not required to totally cut out everything fun.

If it's full on leading to disordered eating though, you don't need to count calories to lose weight! It's important to prioritize your mental health as well as your physical health. You can make other choices like Uriel is with cutting down on soda, or try to reduce your portion sizes of meats and carbs and increase veggies on your plate, or try to introduce more healthy meals where you can. Swapping out treats for fruit, cutting back on take-out meals, that sort of thing, or introducing more exercise like going for walks. It can have a surprising impact on your physical and mental well-being!

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    Finger feels much better today

Whinged at the lady friend this morning and got the appropriate level of sympathy

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I managed almost 20 minutes doing beat saber just now

• Options
    Shiftily wandered back into the climbing wall today as my finger is feeling okay and actually had quite a productive session, flashed a comp wall 6C+ (upper end V5 for the curious Americans) and was like "actually my finger feels fine" and then just knocked out a bit of strength workout afterwards to round off. Feeling considerably less stroppy now! Will keep on going very easy on that finger particularly but that shouldn't be too bad.

• Options
    As things slowly inch back to normal, I'm getting a bit anxious.

I'm a big extrovert and social person, and apart from hang out with friends I also run a meetup. So that means often being out, not having enough time to eat at home or workout and just eating/drinking out.

I'm afraid that I'm going to backslide as my social calendar begins opening up once again.

Trying to be proactive though. I'm trying to still prioritize my workouts, even if it means either not scheduling/committing to an event that may interfere or waking up early to do those workouts.

Hardest thing is def going to be resisting temptations. My plan is to allow myself a drink, but always close out my tab so I'm not tempted to get anything else, and if I HAVE to eat out, make the healthiest choice possible.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    As things slowly inch back to normal, I'm getting a bit anxious.

I'm a big extrovert and social person, and apart from hang out with friends I also run a meetup. So that means often being out, not having enough time to eat at home or workout and just eating/drinking out.

I'm afraid that I'm going to backslide as my social calendar begins opening up once again.

Trying to be proactive though. I'm trying to still prioritize my workouts, even if it means either not scheduling/committing to an event that may interfere or waking up early to do those workouts.

Hardest thing is def going to be resisting temptations. My plan is to allow myself a drink, but always close out my tab so I'm not tempted to get anything else, and if I HAVE to eat out, make the healthiest choice possible.

I think as long as you're keeping up your exercise and activity levels having a cheat day here and there with friends will not make a huge impact (nor will just having one beer/drink, etc), but I think your thoughts are on point there. Worst case try to plan ahead with bringing healthier options to eat with you for times where you're not strictly going to restaurants or anything in particular. Hell, maybe you could get your friends to do more outdoors activities so you could combine certain options (social gatherings and physical activity)?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Also you've worked hard to get to this point and it's important to give yourself some grace and time to enjoy your friends and being social. You won't lose progress with a wild day here and there.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Also if I know I'm headed to some kind of feast or debauchery I try to earn it. If I know I'm playing hard that night I like to get the hard work in before it. Like for the viking feast I'd go to with friends in the before times. In the morning before the event I would put accessories, a big rowing set, and some heavy bag work on the end of my normal workout, and try to get an extra mile or two if not a 5k walk in beforehand on the way to the feast (the walk from the end of the T to the venue) while mostly maintenance eating minimal amounts to stave off hangry sleepiness till I get into the festivities, then we feast proper and i don't give a fuck about calories or macros for a few hours except in the most abstract consideration of "a fuckin bunch" and "mostly sugary non fibrous carbs". Especially for that night I would try to get myself an extra walk in the next day too cause of the plentiful amount of fermented honey I'd drink (fabulously one year they straight up filled my drinking horn for the cost of a single drink, my horn holds a full bottle of wine, they did this multiple times that night).

• Options
    Also you are mega active dude

You need to eat to stay strong and healthy!

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was really hoping to do weights today but I still way too post-Moderna #2 achey. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Options
    Thanks all! I know you all are 100% right, and even though I made a lot of progress in how I view food and workouts I still have that irrational fear that a skipped workout or indulgence outside my usual cheat day will just cause me to backtrack.

But again, like you all said, just gotta remember the progress I made, and just find a balance between being careful about what I eat but also enjoying things.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    @Kyougu for what it's worth also, you may find that you maintain your level of social extroversion but how you spend your social time shifts... Having gotten very much more into outrigger canoe race training and team management, and into road cycling beyond prep for tours, I've just naturally shifted my social life to be oriented more toward my friends who are also in those communities rather than my friends who are in F&B. It's kind of a bummer sometimes because I do miss going out and knowing lots of industry folks and having a great time at restaurants and bars, but I still do that - just a lot less often because I know it'll impact my training and performance (and sleep schedule, jesus christ cyclists and paddlers are insane). And I still have those friends! We just see each other less often or for stuff like coffee or lunches rather than nights out. So... now might be the moment to start looking at naturally shifting your social life a bit, or thinking about whether it already has been shifted.

I guess tl;dr waking up at 5 in the fucking morning 4 days a week for extended exercise has destroyed any desire to be up past 10:30 pm, and feeling like hot trash when I exercise after eating heavily or drinking more than a glass of wine has curbed doing that on nights before those mornings, and the people I hang out with have organically moved to include more folks who are also very physically active and inclined to do physically active stuff vs sedentary or party lifestyle stuff. Probably you may end up finding the same?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    It's also something you can plan for! Especially if you've returned to maintenance calories and have extra room to play with

Like, since I started lifting regularly, so long as I keep my schedule going at a median of moderate/intense exercise, my maintenance calories even at my goal weight are significantly more than I've really eaten regularly before! Which also gives me the option, when my lifestyle returns to going out with friends once or twice a week, of reducing my maintenance calories during the week slightly to add a boost to Going Out Calories. You don't have to have the same calorie goal every single day if you're aiming for a weekly intake goal!

Steam