As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ha, MyFitnessPal has an exercise entry to estimate calories burned playing Beat Saber

nice.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Had my ski appointment tonight! I am still extremely a newbie and ate shit twice but I learned a lot. Hoping to get some practice in on my own and then meet up with her again!

We were at a park on the Quebec side that had great conditions, and some of the expert level skiers there go unbelievably fast. The coach was super nice and the one-on-one appointment meant we were focused totally on my form and moving at a good pace! Learned how to activate my core to propel with the poles, found out I was digging with the outside of the heel (ice skate style) instead of digging in with the inside of my foot (skate ski style) and immediately felt the difference, started learning about how to set a rhythm, and about a "steady" stance to return to whenever I feel like I am losing control. Some good lessons on how to walk through more snow (raise the toe first or you'll eat shit a third time), and post-game stretches too!

Also there is a fun desperation level to these kinds of interactions with people outside of your immediate household where we both clearly, absolutely needed the human contact and just hung out for several minutes as the stars came out like LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT WORK AND MY FITNESS ASPIRATIONS AND TELL ME MORE ABOUT THAT TRIP TO THE YUKON YOU WENT ON AND-

The only drawback is it turns out wearing a mask that fogs your glasses in -15C causes that fog to turn to ice and uh, I need to wear my contacts next time so as to see

Gonna book in for the end of February so I can get one more big lesson set in for the season, and otherwise try to go once or twice a week!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Right.

who has exercise tips for working out while dripping snot?

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Historically speaking I just don't.

But This is why I always fell out of gym habits though. Id be doing fitness, then get sick and stop, then feel better and start again, then immediately relapse, until I just stopped going back.

Considering I didn't get sick a single time through an entire year of covid I now suspect that was actually because of facility cleanliness and being around people issues.

If it's a sinus type issue flonase or similar sprays have always given me an immediate relief and will hold out through a workout.

though at least whatever I have has a steroid in it so you don't want to be using it as an every day thing (I think 2 weeks is the max I was told)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Right.

I keep tissues nearby in my basement gym with a bandana or towel backup. If I'm outside, I have no shame in just firing snot rockets away from the public path and wiping with my shirt or gloves if I have them on. I'm already sweaty and gross, a little extra snot isn't much of a concern anymore.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, outdoors I have no shame about the occasional loogie or snot rocket, obviously as long as there's not many around me, and specially right behind me. And always off trail.

Also, I been taking progress photos weekly, just me in my boxers. Not only does it help me notice small differences that the scale may not showing, but it also helping me accept and be proud of my body, which is something I always struggled with.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I think at some point we're going to have to get a nicer long mirror in our room because right now we have a very cheap Target one and it's fine to check the basics but it definitely has some funhouse stuff going on and it's nice because it makes my arms look huge but it's bad because it's impossible to gauge what my body actually looks like.

Related, I really wish Android had an incognito photo setting where you could take a picture on your phone and not have it upload to the cloud, unless that is a thing and I don't know about it. Is it a thing? Am I an idiot?

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Friday Weigh-in #7
    Last week 170 lbs
    This week 169 lbs

Spent a lot of time this week shoveling which I hate but it's a necessary chore and it's exercise.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Question for folks what use MyFitnessPal to make sure I'm doing it right

setting your activity level is as, like a baseline and then you only track exercises that are over and above that? like if I set myself to Active because I'm doing approximately 3 hours of walking/day with my dog, I don't then track the dog walks themselves? Seems like it's double-counting otherwise

Alternately, set myself to Light Activity to cover the minimum amount walking/activity I do every day, and then track the one big walk each day separately as it can very in length/might not happen in really crappy weather/etc?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I don't track exercise in MFP that way due to how wildly varying caloric estimation can be. I'll usually record what I did in the notes section though, especially gym sessions.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I don't track exercise in MFP that way due to how wildly varying caloric estimation can be. I'll usually record what I did in the notes section though, especially gym sessions.

This. I purely use MFP to track calories and progress. I don't trust it's calorie estimates for intake and its exercise estimates can vary wildly.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    The better TDEE calculators are Precision Nutrition (https://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-calculator ) and TDEE Calculator (https://tdeecalculator.net/ ), rather than the MFP one

Precision Nutrition is a little easier to understand as far as setting food goals/mobility, and I've seen some suggestions to get the number there for "improve health" and average it with the TDEE Calculator output to get maintenance calories. Then you can add/subtract/maintain depending on your goals

From there you can just go with the same calorie level every day and turn off the exercise calories, since they are rarely accurate anyhow and you'll have considered your average activity level in your calorie math anyway. Then you can track your metrics and adjust over time - the equations are a starting point and not necessarily representative of your body

(Not a medical professional, etc etc)

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Right.

I preload with allergy medication and nasal spray before cycling, and then just blow my nose an awful lot (thanks sinuses!)

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Covid finally took out my local gym. I hadn't been there since March 2020, but I'd kept my membership open. I guess not enough people did the same.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I should start posting here to be held accountable:

I currently weigh too much, and I am looking to lose a lot of weight. But I’d also like to do so that it’s sustainable and so I’m looking to build better habits in general.

I’ve hovered at around the same weight (-/+ 10 lb fluctuations) for the past 5 years.

Complicating factors are that I have hypothyroidism, which I’m currently medicated for, but my last blood work still had me outside an acceptable range.

I’ve started wearing my Fitbit again because it really works for getting me moving more (I’m competitive so seeing the paces helps). Last three days I’ve managed over 10k paces a day.

I probably also could sleep more, I average around 6 hours of sleep which isn’t great.

And lastly I need to remember to drink my dang water.

So my current plan:

- keep up the activity levels, maybe add more strength training
    - get more sleep
    - start tracking calories more rigorously
    - drink that water!

I just downloaded MyFitnessPal so I can start accounting for food eaten.

• Options
    I would be 100% interested in forming up some sort of PA forum accountability group for tracking workouts / progress / whatnot.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Janson wrote: »
    I should start posting here to be held accountable:

I currently weigh too much, and I am looking to lose a lot of weight. But I’d also like to do so that it’s sustainable and so I’m looking to build better habits in general.

I’ve hovered at around the same weight (-/+ 10 lb fluctuations) for the past 5 years.

Complicating factors are that I have hypothyroidism, which I’m currently medicated for, but my last blood work still had me outside an acceptable range.

I’ve started wearing my Fitbit again because it really works for getting me moving more (I’m competitive so seeing the paces helps). Last three days I’ve managed over 10k paces a day.

I probably also could sleep more, I average around 6 hours of sleep which isn’t great.

And lastly I need to remember to drink my dang water.

So my current plan:

- keep up the activity levels, maybe add more strength training
    - get more sleep
    - start tracking calories more rigorously
    - drink that water!

I just downloaded MyFitnessPal so I can start accounting for food eaten.

Its ridiculous how important sleep is. IMO getting enough of it drives success everywhere else. I should also take my own advice.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have had so much honey today.

I hate being sick. I need to try and do some sort of exercise tomorrow. Even if it's only aerobic walks.

• Options
    We're going to be getting really bad winter weather so today is probably the only day I'll get a run in until next Thurs.

I usually HITT workouts at home on my balcony since I'm on a second floor but I may need to annoy my downstairs neighbors with some jumping this week.

• Options
    6" of snow here - all soft and powdery, so just walking around the block was an effort!

Also I only slept 5 hr 50 min... thanks, brain, for the stressful dreams which prompted me awake.

• Options
    Going to try to integrate handstand pushups into my daily routine. Just need to avoid hitting my head!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    33 degrees Fahrenheit here, rain the whole morning, ice on all the trees, and the wood bridges are covered in ice. But I still went 17 miles! I was soaked and freezing, and had to stop halfway to get spare gloves from my house, but I made it. The way it ended up it was actually not bad, just taking it easy and setting a comfortable pace.

Pic of the adventure:
    2PzaBNK.jpg

• Options
    Way to go @Icemopper !

I just finished my run. 21 degrees and windy and I had to keep looking out for ice patches but I got it done.

Gonna rest up before I hit the climbing gym tonight since I won't be going there for a good couple of days.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Pulling 110 lb on a sled counts as exercise, right?!

Kids were too tired to walk home

Janson on
  • Options
    First snow run ever!

I wasn't planning on it but I figured when else would I get a chance to run in the snow here in Texas?

Snow was surprisingly grippy, took it slow (specially cause it was my recovery run) and just enjoyed the setting.
    fkyc32d1v68t.jpg

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Think I finally found a routine that works for me. My gym has a spa part with a small pool that's not great for swimming exercise, but works as long as nobody else is there. So I've been getting there as they open at 6.30am, swimming for 30min and then some sauna before I head home. Pretty good timing to be ready for remote work at 8am too.

It's the first time in years I've managed to keep up a new routine for two weeks, and I'm looking forward to going again tomorrow. So hopefully I can actually keep this going.

• Options
    Monday weigh in
    Last week: 133.1kg
    This week: 133.4kg

I've got a head cold. I've been miserable and not keeping an eye on my food at all this weekend. I've had so much honey over the weekend.

So I'm not mad at only going up 300g. It's not ideal, but it could have been so much worse.

Now comes the next challenge. Sticking to my exercise routine while the family is home with me over lockdown.

Help

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Monday weigh in

I've got a head cold. I've been miserable and not keeping an eye on my food at all this weekend. I've had so much honey over the weekend.

So I'm not mad at only going up 300g. It's not ideal, but it could have been so much worse.

Now comes the next challenge. Sticking to my exercise routine while the family is home with me over lockdown.

Help

Get them to join in with you? Make it a family event. Might be fun even.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fuckin 18kgs added weight on the 9mm fingerboard edge for 10 seconds

Only did it once, after a build in the session from 14kgs up to the last hang with 18kgs, but that is a personal best!

I'd really like to be able to hit 22kgs in the next month or so, that'd be fucking sweet. 130% bodyweight on the 9mm edge is serious improvement!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular

Legitimately pulling or pushing a sled is some of the best exercise you could possibly do

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    not to mention running up a hill through snow

• Options
    edited February 2021

Legitimately pulling or pushing a sled is some of the best exercise you could possibly do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5KYZ74OAak&ab_channel=ChristianBates

The ultimate training routine

Solar on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Monday weigh in

Help

How much could Ellie weigh anyhow?
    Surely you can exercise and carry her on your back.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    But seriously though, best wishes.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Speaking of sled pushing and Conan I want to set up a log somewhere and hit it with a big wooden sword like they did in the old days. Swinging a sword or ax is hella strengthening.

Then if I feel like I'm plateauing I can just flip the log around.

Real talk one of the things on my bucket list is to enter a caber toss and just mad toss cabers.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I went for a run Saturday, and about half a kilometre I felt sudden sharp knee pain. It didn’t go away within about fifty steps, so I turned around and walked home. Put a cold pack on it. Took a nap. Went for a 10k walk instead, the knee felt a little stiff but no pain. I’ve kept putting cold packs on it. Yesterday was walking and weights day, and the knee continued to feel OK, just slightly stiff. I ran about 100 metres on it, and it felt fine. I’m bounding up stairs without any issue or concern. Today I’m going to aim for 5k running on it, and assuming it holds up with no pain I’ll try 7k tomorrow.

So that sucked, but it looks like there was no damage done and here’s hoping that everything holds up today.

On a more positive note: push-ups have gotten much easier over the past month and a half. At the end of December, I could barely do a push-up, and now I can do a normal set of 12 without much difficulty. I’m finding it harder to measure progress with my upper body than with running or biking, so being able to do push-ups better has been a pleasant indicator that things are coming along.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Speaking of sled pushing and Conan I want to set up a log somewhere and hit it with a big wooden sword like they did in the old days. Swinging a sword or ax is hella strengthening.

Then if I feel like I'm plateauing I can just flip the log around.

Real talk one of the things on my bucket list is to enter a caber toss and just mad toss cabers.

Get a tire and a sledgehammer unless you really just enjoy swinging sharp implements while fatigued

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm back up in weight. I spent like a week without my stimulant meds because insurance dragged their feet approving the prior authorization renewal.

I hate how reliant I have to be on my stimulant. Like I'm just not a human without it.

But I'm back up like 15 pounds now and it sucks. It feels like I can't do anything about it. Cutting calories makes me feel extremely sick now, like migraine headaches and feeling faint from lack of energy just from cutting like 500 a day. Exercising makes me feel unsafe. Like I can hardly breath.

I gotta do something. I'm sick of feeling sick and not being able to move around.

• Options
    What kind of exercises have you tried so far, Talla?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    I'm back up in weight. I spent like a week without my stimulant meds because insurance dragged their feet approving the prior authorization renewal.

I hate how reliant I have to be on my stimulant. Like I'm just not a human without it.

But I'm back up like 15 pounds now and it sucks. It feels like I can't do anything about it. Cutting calories makes me feel extremely sick now, like migraine headaches and feeling faint from lack of energy just from cutting like 500 a day. Exercising makes me feel unsafe. Like I can hardly breath.

I gotta do something. I'm sick of feeling sick and not being able to move around.

If you are getting migraine headaches and such you do need to speak to a doctor, but I would say that generally maybe you just need to keep on pushing with it? In terms of exercise, just stay light. Don't do stuff that gets you too out of breath if it feels unsafe, but try to do more. Like go for a walk, and take regular breaks... but just keep on going, so you end up with more overall cal consumption?