Options

SKÅL! (Valheim thread)

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Resurrecting this thread because I know some people are back in to this in anticipation for the Ashlands update and also because I am spending all of my spare time doing dumb shit like leveling my fishing.

I built a cute little hunting lodge just because I could.

Anyone else having a great time in Viking purgatory?

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Rumors are that Ashlands update will be in the next week or so?!

Those are rumors, but wow sooner than I expected if true.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Where are you hearing these rumours?

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Where are you hearing these rumours?

Recent news update said Ashlands isn't far away.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Yep: https://valheim.com/news/development-blog:-decorative-details

I initially heard the rumor from a Valheim streamer, though.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    z3v1mbe8itzu.png

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have no idea what I'm looking at in that picture. Are those your chickens?

Also question, I just got this pickaxe, and I read somewhere that if you dig inside stone circles you can find treasure. Is that true? I tried twice and didn't find anything, and maybe I just didn't dig deep enough or maybe that person was full of shit.

I'm trying to resist asking questions about things because I want to discover stuff myself, but I don't want to put big ugly pits all over the place if there's no point to them.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Also question, I just got this pickaxe, and I read somewhere that if you dig inside stone circles you can find treasure. Is that true? I tried twice and didn't find anything, and maybe I just didn't dig deep enough or maybe that person was full of shit.

I'm trying to resist asking questions about things because I want to discover stuff myself, but I don't want to put big ugly pits all over the place if there's no point to them.

If you don't want to put big ugly pits all over the place then...
    Wait until you've killed the third boss. He drops Wishbone which, when equipped, will detect nearby secret treasures.
    Some "circles" like the Black marsh circles and the Meadows ship-graves do have a fair chance of containing treasure. While some don't. Like the Meadows circles

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

You can find treasure chests buried in ship-shaped stone arrangements but I find it's generally not worth the effort. Without giving too much away, you'll find plenty of treasure just progressing through the next couple of biomes

• Options
    edited March 30

Yes those are my chickens! They misbehave a lot and push me around! I love them!

EDIT: To echo the above statements, you don't need to be concerned with treasure just yet, advancing progression and upgrading tools is more important at the beginning. Also surviving, of course.

Not to say you can't play the game however you want! Valheim is full of "Ooo what's that shiny thing over there?" moments, which can often get you in to some sticky situations but that's half the fun.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean I don't even know what I'd do with treasure, except make a big room full of it and swim around like Scrooge McDuck.

• Options
    I mean, you can totally make a treasure room full of gold coin piles and stacks.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I have a closet full of coin piles!

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean I don't even know what I'd do with treasure, except make a big room full of it and swim around like Scrooge McDuck.

There are a couple of merchants you can stumble across, from which you can buy various things.

• Options
    never die wrote: »

There are a couple of merchants you can stumble across, from which you can buy various things.

One unlocks things, the other demands that you go on quests.

• Options
    I had no idea there were even quests in this. I always thought it was pure sandbox, with some boss fights thrown in. I assume they're basically fetch quests?

I'm loving the game a lot. Kind of annoyed with myself that I didn't get into it back when it blew up. I think I got convinced that playing it solo was no good, and I never do MP stuff, so I ignored it. But it's totally fine solo.

Tree chopping is super satisfying, probably the best tree chopping in any game. The physics of it is fun.

I made a raft yesterday and went on the ocean for the first time and it started to storm and even though I was never far from shore it made me want to cry. The sea is so fucking scary. I would be the worst viking irl.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    The quests are basically "Go this this point on the map and get my chest'

The points are special map locations where there are super hard enemies that end with a unique boss

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    So far the only thing I really don't like about this game is some of the finickiness with building. Like why does the crafting table need a roof? And the bed? My big hard viking guy can't sleep under the stars? And it doesn't tell you whether it's sufficiently covered when you're building it, only when you try to use it, and then you have to destroy it and try again, but it doesn't give you all your wood back so then you have to run around and get more wood. And then if your hammer breaks while your crafting table has no roof then you can't fix it to build the roof, you have to make a new hammer.

The building system is mostly really good but it feels like they put some arbitrary tedious blocks in the way of engaging with it.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    So far the only thing I really don't like about this game is some of the finickiness with building. Like why does the crafting table need a roof? And the bed? My big hard viking guy can't sleep under the stars? And it doesn't tell you whether it's sufficiently covered when you're building it, only when you try to use it, and then you have to destroy it and try again, but it doesn't give you all your wood back so then you have to run around and get more wood. And then if your hammer breaks while your crafting table has no roof then you can't fix it to build the roof, you have to make a new hammer.

The building system is mostly really good but it feels like they put some arbitrary tedious blocks in the way of engaging with it.

You should get all of your materials back when you destroy something.

• Options
    Yeah I read that somewhere, but something must not work that way because I've had several times where I've destroyed some stuff and not been able to immediately rebuild the same things due to not having enough wood.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    you may not be close enough to automatically pick up the wood it creates from deconstructing

• Options
    edited March 31
    There is a snap-to-point system now. I have never used it but a lot of people say it makes building far easier? I embrace the chaos.

I need the chaos.

EDIT: Oh I guess snap points are default so now I'm a dirty liar.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    you may not be close enough to automatically pick up the wood it creates from deconstructing

I think I figured it out, if you deconstruct a fire you don't get the wood back. Which seems obvious, but I was deconstructing a bunch of things and not realising where the missing wood was happening.

• Options
    Oh yeah, anything you deconstruct that takes a "fuel" you don't get the fuel back. Be that fires, charcoal kilns, or smelters.

• Options
    I gather there's an update coming out soon. Is that the kind of thing that usually requires starting a new world? If so I probably don't want to spend any more time building stuff in my current one.

• Options
    I gather there's an update coming out soon. Is that the kind of thing that usually requires starting a new world? If so I probably don't want to spend any more time building stuff in my current one.

Every update only affects biome areas that you haven't explored yet. When they released the Frost Caves update, for example, any mountains that you had explored already would not populate with Frost Caves when you visited again. Any mountains that you had not explored yet would be populated with Frost Caves. Since the Ashlands are way down on the Southern edge of the map, you're just fine to explore any of the other previously update biomes no problem.

While playing on my first server with people, I decided to build a boat, stow all my gear aside from a few stacks of food, and sail out wherever the wind took me in the buff. I got pretty far out before reaching the Mistlands, which had not been updated in game yet. It was spooky as hell and I immediately turned my little karve around back towards home (but was soon attacked by a sea serpent and drowned). Thing is, Mistlands looked vastly different than they did when updated. It was populated with gigantic trees covered in huge webs, so everyone assumed the main mobs would be giant spiders. So much so that modders were creating spider enemies for the biome based purely on speculation. Iron Gate is pretty good at subverting expectations at times, but are far more open with upcoming content to keep excitement up for the current playerbase.

Also, I looked up two star trolls (amazingly I have never encountered one) and I'm pretty sure that you ran in to a regular old troll. They're blue, but the lighting may have affected that.

• Options
    Well shit. I apparently did not realize that there is a clever spoonerism in the game.
    They aren't "bukeberries" like I have been saying, they're "bukeperries".

• Options
    I spotted a cave in the black forest across a river, so I sailed my raft over. Parked it a bit downstream where it was meadows, and while I was looking around heard some noise and got back just in time to see it sink because some necks were attacking it.

Went into the cave, which turned out to be a troll cave, so left the cave again very quickly.

Saw something glowy nearby so I went to investigate. Killed a few greydwarves. Then some greydwarf shamans turned up and nearly wrecked me, and I had to run away and swim across the river. The only reason I survived was because I had the Eikthyr power on and the only reason that happened is I accidentally hit the button while panicking.

Decided to give up on the black forest and just do some building at home. Then got a The Forest Is Moving message and like 15 greylings, grey dwarves, shamans and a brute thing showed up. I ended up having to run away again. I seem to spend a lot of my time running away from things

Feels like after you kill Eikthyr the game really ramps up the difficulty. I dunno how I am going to achieve anything right now.

• Options
    Congratulations on your first raid event!

Yeah, as you take down bosses new raid events activate and previous ones deactivate. The Hildir quests also unlock new raids as you defeat the minibosses, and I got a new one "You get the chills. . ." Like a complete idiot I went charging out to see what spawned and it was the Howling Caverns miniboss, a bunch of one star Fenrings, and some cultists.

I died almost immediately.

One tip to prevent events from completely wrecking you is digging a moat around your base, and if you have a hoe you can raise the ground (requires stone) as well. Raised ground can not be destroyed by mobs, so that can go a long way in defending yourself and everything you have built so far.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 1
    As things go, running from stuff you're not sure you can take isn't a bad instinct in this game. And raid events aren't super regular, but having battlements and a good stock of arrows on hand can help equalize things

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    There is also absolutely no shame in taking your time. I have almost 700 hours (wtf) in the game and I am still mildly terrified of the Mistlands.

• Options
    Hell last night I was tooling around and got my shit rocked by a 1 star troll cause I thought I was safe holing up in a tower so I could pick it off with arrows. Take your time, figure out the techniques that work for you, and made a holdfast that you like.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Yep, Valhein isn't a race (unless you're one of those insane speedrunners), it's a marathon. Like a marathon where you need to stop and get your rested bonus every once in a while. Sometimes than means taking a nap at night.

• Options
    The Valheim twitter account keeps tweeting about hot Ashlands update is "close", and even though I am nowhere near even a tiny bit close to ready for it, it's still kind of driving me bonkers in anticipation. I mean, I can wait. I would rather have them take their time and get it right as possible first try, that's more important than having it now.

But I want it.

• Options
    I also want it cause then maybe I can pry my friends off other dumb games and we can play something together again

Hail Hydra
  • Options
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Ashlands is on Public Test.

Time to bring the longships out of drydock.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I spotted a cave in the black forest across a river, so I sailed my raft over. Parked it a bit downstream where it was meadows, and while I was looking around heard some noise and got back just in time to see it sink because some necks were attacking it.

Went into the cave, which turned out to be a troll cave, so left the cave again very quickly.

Saw something glowy nearby so I went to investigate. Killed a few greydwarves. Then some greydwarf shamans turned up and nearly wrecked me, and I had to run away and swim across the river. The only reason I survived was because I had the Eikthyr power on and the only reason that happened is I accidentally hit the button while panicking.

Decided to give up on the black forest and just do some building at home. Then got a The Forest Is Moving message and like 15 greylings, grey dwarves, shamans and a brute thing showed up. I ended up having to run away again. I seem to spend a lot of my time running away from things

Feels like after you kill Eikthyr the game really ramps up the difficulty. I dunno how I am going to achieve anything right now.

Just FYI you can upgrade your tools/weapons/armor at the workstation in case you haven't stumbled across that yet. It's not strictly necessary but I recommend having a fully or near fully upgraded set of leather before you dive into the Black Forest.

This is a pattern that largely repeats as you discover and explore new biomes. I generally ensure I have a fully or near fully upgraded set of whatever the previous biome's weapon/armor was before diving head first into a new one. And the first thing I always build is the shield and whatever the weapon type I'm using when I get the resources necessary from the new biome. I also skip all of the heavier armor until I'm mining in the mountains. The lighter armor sets can do a lot of work if you upgrade them and they don't slow you down.

• Options
    So does public test mean released, or its in like the part before going into the rest of the early access?