As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Legend of Keepers, Insurmountable and Clan O'Conall out today!

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    cold steel 3 is incredibly bad. i actually think the game is downright insulting, just an entire game that's wheel spinning and a waste of time capitalizing on the fact that you've spent so much time with this series you're invested and feel like you have to play it. i feel like i shouldn't buy cs4 because i can no longer justify supporting falcom and yet i also want to play cs4 because i have self-harming impulses

CS4 is much better than 3. 3 made me mad. 4 only made me mad a couple times, and it made me smile several times. It's much better than 3 in every way.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping the Geofront fan patch for Trails to Azure comes out this month so I can play that before CS IV.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/09/forza-horizon-4-available-now-on-steam/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1293830/Forza_Horizon_4/

Forza Horizon 4 just hit Steam. Full crossplay with Xbox and the Windows Store version (aka the Game Pass PC version), comes with the Formula Drift Car Pack.
    This game fuckin rules btw
    Also just in-game, there's a boatload of free cars in the Autoshow, you just have to add them to your garage individually.

sig.gif
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    As much as I've liked the story telling less and less, I do still enjoy the gameplay systems. So as much as I joke about feeling like I HAVE to finish Cold Steel, if I wasn't enjoying playing it then I wouldn't bother.
    Oddly I liked a lot of CS3 more than 2. I think it was because the wheel spinning it's doing was by creating a new setting with a new smaller circle of characters, which is what I kind of wanted. But then you end up jamming those new people into the cast of 1&2 and guests from earlier games and it rapidly spins out of control plot wise again, and then still every big climactic plot moment gets forestalled for some later resolution that's already long overdue.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    idly scrolling through the community content for Into the Breach, I found an interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa_83VTjzx8

seems the channel has a couple of videos in the same vein
    if you're wondering, "how?"
    - start a mission
    - tap the tilde key
    - type debug
    - type mapedit

haven't played with it yet myself, but it might be interesting

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

The use of white phosphorous "is described" is some hilarious BS wording

This is a bullshit PR press release trying to paper over the backlash generated by the comments made in interviews about trying not to politicize anything about the war in the game.

As I've been going through and listening to the old Giant Bomb podcasts from the beginning, just last week I got to the original 6 Days of Fallujah announcement. It was both interesting to see how much more tolerant the staff was to the website was at that point (sans Ryan, who called it out for what it was), and how they are doing the same song and pony show that the original developers tried.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Finished up a playthrough of The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante and really enjoyed it.

My big concern after playing the demo was how long the game would be, and if the choices would diverge enough to make replays worthwhile. The first two chapters took me about 2 hours to play through, and even going for very different playstyles, seemed to end up in a pretty similar place. Finishing up the full game took a good 10 hours more, and I feel like I'd need to play it at least 2 more times to see most of everything going on because in chapter 3, you pick your occupation, and the 3 choices seem to have totally different storylines.

I compared the story to Dragon Age 2 before, and the further I got into the game, the more accurate that description became. The game is really about your city, and watching over the years as it slowly lurches into a revolution. You're a powerful and important person in the city, but not so much that you can control the city's future on your own. Your family, friends and foes have all got their own agendas that will shape what comes to be. Sometimes you're an active participant in their story, and can try to influence them. Sometimes they pull an Anders, and leave you scrambling to salvage their mess.

General Story Spoilers
    So the game has a really cool system, where at the start of each chapter it gives you a bunch of possible outcomes, and what stats you need to get them. At the start of chapter 3, it was pretty clear that the path of the noble was out of my reach, so instead I was able to focus on going down the path of the priest and working to reform a more fair and just church. Most of the family was disappointed, but my mother and my younger brother were thrilled, so I counted it as a win.

Chapter 4 looks like it is where the real replayability of the game lies. As a priest, I was focused on finding and exposing a sect of heretics, and overseeing the struggle between the traditionalists and the reform movement in the church. However, one of the possible outcomes of the chapter was that my mother would pass away forever if the family was too divided. Everything else took a backseat at that point, as keeping the family together became my primary goal. Our wealth was spent, our good name dragged through the mud. My morals were broken, and one of my 4 lives was lost. My co-workers hated me. But in the end I succeeded. The family, while ruined, had finally come together to put away their differences and mother's good health returned. Even better, I managed to scrape out a victory on my other goals by the barest of margins! The heretic plot was thwarted and the reform movement was endorsed by the ranking church officials! A victory all around.

I went into chapter 5 confident. I built support with the various factions and took down my remaining enemies. The revolution was on the path to success. And then I watched in horror as it all fell apart. A face from my past returned to take control of the movement, and she had no intention to build a new society. She wanted revenge and her own spot at the top of the empire. I'd overspent myself building the revolution, and had nothing left to challenge her for control. All I could do was join her or be labeled a traitor to the cause. And so I choose to run. My final choice has just one option, desperately crawling through a sewer drain to escape the city. Not my highest moment.

From there, things only got worse as the game tells the outcome of my choices. My family are branded traitors and did not survive the night. My reformist movement stays in power, but goes on a bloody purge across the land. The revolution continues to take down the empire, but chaos takes it's place. I spend the rest of my life on the run.

And then, after my final death, I'm brought before the twin gods for judgement. They have a few questions for me first.

"Did you enjoy the life we gifted you?"

Not particularly.

"What was your goal in life?"

To make the world a better place.

"Did you make the world better?"

Who can say.

"Are you ready to be judged?"

Get it over with.

But then, before the Younger twin can render his judgement, the Elder has one more question.

And I already liked the game, but here is where I start to love it.

End Game Spoilers
    "If you had the chance, would you have done anything differently?"

And with that, the gods let you go back to life to try and fix your mistakes. You could go all the way back to the start, but I decided I would just go back to the fateful day of the revolution. The game gives you all the information you need. Every choice tells you which stat points it effects. And having played through already, I knew what I needed to get the results I wanted. So making a few changes, I get back to the spot where I lost control of the revolution. This time though I have the strength to hold it. Only this time, in doing so, I don't have the strength to beat the empire. The revolution fails. I'm hung for treason. The reform movement are labeled heretics. My family falls apart.

"If you had the chance, would you have done anything differently?"

And so I try, again and again. Trying to find the perfect combination of choices. Like Groundhog's Day, I've been condemned to relive this day until I can get it right. I see countless terrible outcomes, until finally, it all comes together. A peaceful victory. The church and the empire agree to the progressive movements I fought for. My family and friends find fulfilment in their lives. I can finally meet the gods one last time.

"Did you enjoy the life we gifted you?"

Yes.

"What was your goal in life?"

To make the world a better place.

"Did you make the world better?"

Yes.

"Are you ready to be judged?"

Yes.

And then the game hits me with one more surprise.

Super End Game Spoiler
    This is seriously the very end of the game. I'd recommend skipping over this if you have any intention of playing the game.
    For the final judgement of Sir Brante, the game switches perspective. You are now the Younger god, and you must decide if Brante will spend the afterlife in salvation or damnation.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

This is a bullshit PR press release trying to paper over the backlash generated by the comments made in interviews about trying not to politicize anything about the war in the game.

As I've been going through and listening to the old Giant Bomb podcasts from the beginning, just last week I got to the original 6 Days of Fallujah announcement. It was both interesting to see how much more tolerant the staff was to the website was at that point (sans Ryan, who called it out for what it was), and how they are doing the same song and pony show that the original developers tried.

What was the date on that episode? I'd be kind of interested to pull that up

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    started to modify my Battletech save after i tanked my reputation with the pirates and got a x1000 markup in the black market with no low difficulty missions available bc i advanced too far

but i'm at the "starting to get assault mechs" phase of things, and dang

these are pretty nuts. Makes things a hell of a lot slower, but still

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah there's usually no reason to bring anything lighter though that does depend to some degree on the type of mission

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Battletech needs a way to either balance the mission around what you bring (I think Roguetech does this?) or weight limits.

The base game is just a slow grind up the weight scale and lighter mechs just get left behind, which is sad because my favourite mechs are in the medium and heavy classes.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

What was the date on that episode? I'd be kind of interested to pull that up

I’m trying to scrub through the episodes, but it was either episode 04/21/2009 or 04/28/2009. The latter one has it listed in their description, but I also know they talked about it two weeks in a row.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    there are medium mechs that work, but it's always with called shots to the rear core torso

• Options
    Flashpoint solves that problem with tonnage limits on some missions

once you get through the Arano restoration storyline, it is advantageous to maintain 3-6 lighter mechs

• Options
    also I once brought four assault mechs to a target acquisition mission and regretted every second of it

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    The Bard's Tale is one of those franchises I've just never played. No real reason, just never got around to them

I bring this up because a song from the fourth game (apparently describing events of the third, so, you know, spoilers)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9nmLWuG4gA

came up on spotify today. Thought it was pretty good, all things considered.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    oh no i just built the Marauder mech

this is very silly

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I got my second top of the leaderboard in Caves of Qud.
    gxypjl5ve5ww.jpg

I think I have some real advice for getting better now.
    • Until you are level 4 or 5 and have some upgraded weapons, SPRINT away from anything that is tough or worse.
    • Any mutations that increase your stats are going to be more helpful than activated abilities when starting out. Triple Jointed, Double Hearted, Double Muscled, and Regeneration can shore up middling stats and make a huge difference in your survivability.
    • Force Bubble is godlike and is a good OH SHIT button for pretty much anything out of your league.
    • Do the water sharing ritual as often as possible and learn skills from your reputation rather than skill points whenever you can.
    • Pretty much every town or village has an oven from which you can eat their special food and get some helpful buffs.
    • Water weighs you down a lot. Trade goods are very weight-conscious stores of value, but don't hoard them. Trade them away if you're purchasing something because they will weigh you down also.
    • Auto Explore reads painted and engraved items which can give you secrets that you then trade for a bit of extra faction reputation or XP with certain individuals.
    • If you accidentally aggro villagers, you can run away and they will eventually deaggro.
    • There is a quest with the four-legged folk (their names end with 'hind') that is a detective mystery and can get messed up if you collect evidence before you start the quest. So when you go to their village, don't just pick up every bit you can until they ask you to investigate.
    • Go to the Six Day Stilt. Seriously, there's a lot of good stuff to be found there.

This is basically the majority of what I do to get a high score. Also read the helpful "10 things you should do when you start Caves of Qud" tips that the game tells you to look at with every new character. Live and drink, wanderer.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Looks like Kim Jong-un is pretty good at Caves of Qud

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMYwrC7oAo

Text:
    Wario64
    @Wario64
    TMNT beat em up game from Tribute Games/Dotemu
    Quote Tweet
    COWABUNGA!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I have found that the main dude at the six day stilt often will tell you as a secret the location of a legendary gunsmith or cobbler or what have you that you can go murder for dope stuff

• Options

Text:
    Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth set for full release 3/27!
    Pre full release sale now on, with a Team Ladybug bundle also available!
    Check this out!!
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/1203630/announcements/detail/3062983323624713212

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZ1Snp4dvQ

anyway please check out my deedlitXparn AMV i set it to my favorite taylor swift song

• Options
    edited March 2021
    and game releases have been real quiet lately!

here's three recent ones
    TEXT:
    Blind Drive - New
    Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1300600
    $7.99 #gaming #indiegame
    Did you ever drive blindfolded? Now’s your chance! An audio-based, black comedy arcade action game. Take on angry drivers, mobsters, dolphins and your crazy grandmother all without seeing a thing. Can you do it?
    20210310 Blind Drive (driving, comedy, horror)
    TEXT:
    Out of Sight - New
    Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1510860
    $5.99 #gaming #indiegame
    Unwind while you play at your own pace exploring vibrant microcosms, in your search for hand-placed hidden objects, set to a chill lofi soundtrack.
    20210310 Out of Sight (chill, hidden-object, puzzle)

TEXT:
    Rock Paper Shotgun
    @rockpapershot
    Stronghold Warlords is out now, to mixed reviews - https://rockpapershotgun.com/stronghold-warlords-released
    Besiege Great Khans, Imperial warlords and Shōgun commanders in Stronghold: Warlords, the latest 'castle sim' from Firefly Studios. Command AI warlords across the battlefield as you build a castle economy and new gunpowder-fuelled siege engines!
    20210309 Stronghold Warlords (strategy, warfare, historical)

Brolo on
  • Options

CRdkXGp.jpg
    Humble was founded with a simple mission: to be a force for good in the world through gaming. We’re inspired by the way the community rose to the extraordinary challenges of 2020 and proud to share everything we’ve been able to accomplish together.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Text:
    Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth set for full release 3/27!
    Pre full release sale now on, with a Team Ladybug bundle also available!
    Check this out!!
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/1203630/announcements/detail/3062983323624713212

Fuck yeah anime D&D symphony of the night

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Symphanime of the Night

Is that anything?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Brolo wrote: »

maaaan I am going to be such a fucking mark for this game if it's any good at ALL

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    the 's in that Turtle logo is weirdly bugging me

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

anybody who grew up in the 70s and 80s knows "buy a magazine and..." is a filthy trap

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    There is a pretty great bundle of Stellaris + dlcs on Humble Bundle right now.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Over the past couple of evenings I played through Alba: A Wildlife Adventure.

It was honestly a delight. If you're not familiar, it's a game in which you, a pre-teen girl, explore a cute little Mediterranean island for a couple of days and try to take pictures of all of the animals and fix birdhouses and clean up trash or do favors for people so they'll sign your petition to stop the evil land developer. It's a pretty simple game, all told, and there were only a couple of animals that really caused me any sort of trouble trying to find. But it makes for an absolutely charming four hours of gameplay, and if you're into the idea of like, A Short Hike or maybe a bit of A Night in the Woods crossed with Pokemon Snap, I definitely recommend it.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    The Fallen London visual novel has closed its Kickstarter, at nearly double its funding goal. Hooray!

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    somebody should make a mod for Deep Rock Galactic that changes the text on EXIT ZONE in the drop pod to say BUTT ZONE

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Asthariel wrote: »

I just got an email about it and wondered if Stellaris is a good game. I've been out of the PC gaming loop for too long.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    The Fallen London visual novel has closed its Kickstarter, at nearly double its funding goal. Hooray!

They hit all their stretch goals. The one I'm most interested in is the new starting background the Occultist. They point out that you were an Occultist before the fall, so all your bullshit mystical knowledge has no connection to the real weirdness going on in London, but you should be able to adapt to it quicker!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »

I jist got an email about it and wondered if Syellaris is a good game. I've been out of the PC gaming loop for too long.

Yes. And that's a really solid selection of DLCs.

This discussion has been closed.