As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Krispy Kreme is giving a free donut every day if you bring in your vaccination card.

i finally have a reason t be anti-vaxx

never had a warm krispy kreme?

it's tops!

mods

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Taya wrote: »
    Sometimes I will treat myself to a sour cream glazed donut from Tim Hortons and it’s always worth it.

Tim's have a decent Boston Cream, which is the first one I'll grab when there's a free box around

If I have a choice though, we have some pretty ridiculous small business donuts in town now, I have Options

I am super grateful that both of the ridiculously good/fancy donut places here are on the other side of the downtown core from me, just far enough to be inconvenient to walk to
    my willpower would not be enough, otherwise

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I got my first Phizer shot today. I was scheduled for 10:30am but they didn't stick me until quarter-to-noon.
    I grabbed an Arizona green tea can on the way out for nostalgia's sake.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i only eat custard filled, chocolate frosted donuts.

once i got one and it was filled with frosting instead of custard and oh did i invent new expletives that day and did fill the air with them

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Old fashioned doughnuts are my preferred variety, there's a place by my (currently closed) office that does spectacular almond old fashioneds and lemon poppy old fashioneds and the like

I'll occasionally eat a yeasted, but I'm generally disappointed by it

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Haha I just saw some shit on social media about changes coming to a new edition of monopoly or something and people are like "first they came for the potato now the monopoly guy?" And it's kinda funny given the origins and intentions behind the original version of the board game around the beginning of the 20th century. And that the company screwed the woman who designed it out of the rights.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I got my first Phizer shot today. I was scheduled for 10:30am but they didn't stick me until quarter-to-noon.
    I grabbed an Arizona green tea can on the way out for nostalgia's sake.

The classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0DsBRE812g

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    pooka wrote: »
    "The Lovely Bastard" There's a cheesesteak place in Austin that had tastykakes in the deli case, along with other presumably also imported Yankee delicacies.

I had to remind myself what scrapple is...

Good?

My extended family is in Maryland and we would go up for Christmas so I had scrapple as a kid well before I knew what it was. It’s probably the only way I would have eaten it.

Also, HEB does carry a small assortment of Tastykake products, I can’t be sure they sell krimpets though as they only sell their donuts online and I haven’t been in a store in ages.

Edit: Actually, I do have to go outside today I suppose I could take a look.

Looks like my local HEB only has Tastykake mini donuts, honey buns and peach swirls.

I was however able to find a moderna appointment last night and got my first jab a couple of hours ago. So far my only side effect is my arm got a little sore during the 15 minute safety period they have you wait.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I fucked my back up real good (again) and I'm miserable and more or less immobile so I got a bunch of vanilla coke and oreos delivered.

My body wants to fuckin hurt me I'm gonna hurt it right the fuck back.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    as is right and proper

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    "The Lovely Bastard" There's a cheesesteak place in Austin that had tastykakes in the deli case, along with other presumably also imported Yankee delicacies.

Good?

My extended family is in Maryland and we would go up for Christmas so I had scrapple as a kid well before I knew what it was. It’s probably the only way I would have eaten it.

Also, HEB does carry a small assortment of Tastykake products, I can’t be sure they sell krimpets though as they only sell their donuts online and I haven’t been in a store in ages.

Looks like my local HEB only has Tastykake mini donuts, honey buns and peach swirls.

looks like your local HEB doesn't have tastykake then!!

no krimpets?? no kandykakes? no juniors??!?

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ice cream place raised their prices

Large Soft serve with mnms went from like 4.50 last year too 7 dollars this year.

Also it took like an hour to get through the drive thru

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Good?

looks like your local HEB doesn't have tastykake then!!

no krimpets?? no kandykakes? no juniors??!?

Yeah, I could swear they used to have a bigger selection but they’ve moved that entire section since I last looked and it is one of their smaller stores.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Jab #1 scheduled! For the day after my grouping opens up, that's much sooner than I would have thought!

Fuckin'.... relief feeling... almost to being safer

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Back when lockdown first begain, I started doing Duolingo to try and learn Spanish, and have managed to keep at it:
    GKbZXHl.png?1

(also, boo to past tenses of irregular verbs, boooooo I say)

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I was very heartbroken when Duo did not throw me a party or something when I hit my one year streak.

He didn't even say anything.

It's like he is not really mon amie.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Old fashioned doughnuts are my preferred variety, there's a place by my (currently closed) office that does spectacular almond old fashioneds and lemon poppy old fashioneds and the like

I am something of a connoisseur of Chicago land doughnuts, where is this?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

It's Doughnut Vault - their main location is right by Merchandise Mart, and they also have/had a secondary location by the Ogilvie Metra and I think maybe a truck as well.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was doing duolingo for Spanish starting the summer before last, but when the school shut down last March and I lost my ability to be regularly exposed to the language I fell off and eventually stopped because the daily reminders became too stressful.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I loaded Duolingo back up. They really streamlined a lot of this from last summer. I need to repair some of my progress, which is fine since I'll need the refresher and also they added some lesson to earlier parts?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

It's Doughnut Vault - their main location is right by Merchandise Mart, and they also have/had a secondary location by the Ogilvie Metra and I think maybe a truck as well.

Ahh yes my second favorite place right after Do-Rite. I like Doughnut Vault more then Stans, but Stans is also tasty and also has cold brew coffee on tap which is nice.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That reminds me, I need to do my doughnut April Fool's prank at my new office this year. Get an empty box from a local quality doughnut place and put a veggie tray inside it.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I need to do my doughnut April Fool's prank at my new office this year. Get an empty box from a local quality doughnut place and put a veggie tray inside it.

the guillotine can't come back fast enough

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Magic Pink wrote: »

the guillotine can't come back fast enough

Yea seriously. This is how you get beat up in the parking lot. I'll put up with a lot of bullshit at work, but you pull a switcheroo with donuts? Oh buddy, you've made an enemy this day.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    "fuck that cheeky fucker"

That sort of prank should probably lead to a prank of someone letting the air out of the offender's car tires

• Options
    Personally I think that prank sounds very funny

I would laugh an awful lot if it happened to me (and then get some delicious vegetables)

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Maybe... this is not the best year for pranks.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    "fuck that cheeky fucker"

That sort of prank should probably lead to a prank of someone letting the air out of the offender's car tires

Best non-mean prank I ever pulled was tying a string of pop cans to a guys rear bumper and hiding them inside of it, so when he went over the speed bump out of work they dropped out and dangled behind the car, making it sound like something fucked up. It worked perfectly too. He pulled out, the cans fell out and started dragging. He immediately pulled over and hopped out and walked around his car. He found the cans, looked up, saw me watching and shook his fist. We had a good laugh the next day. He said it sounded like he threw a piston.

The meanest prank I've seen wasn't terribly destructive, just an asshole move. My press operator detested one of the other ones, so we were on graveyard shift 12 hour days, following this guy my operator detested. He had fucked us this day and my operator was fuming all night. Near the end of shift, around 4am, he gets a big jug of salt (one of the guys loved hard boiled eggs) and poured salt into this guys tool box, every drawer. All the tool boxes are locked, but you can get a drawer open like 1/8" before it catches. Plenty of gap to pour salt in. then he wrapped the tool box in shrink wrap to a pallet and set it on the highest shelf in the rack.

Day shift comes in, I'm talking to my replacement, letting him in on what's about to go down with the day shift operator. The rest of day shift comes in and my operator is watching the day shift guy. Then he sees him go to another tool box, unlock it and get his stuff out. Confusion crosses my operator's face. Then the 2nd pressman, a man EVERYONE loves and who would give you the shirt off his back comes in and asks "Hey where is my tool box?" I've never seen a more confusing mix of emotions cross a mans face compared to when my operator realized that he had fucked over the wrong guy.

He stayed like 2 hours over cleaning out this guys tool box, and never fucked with anyone again.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    During the donut discourse I guess I could have brought up that a chef friend of mine who lost his position during COVID has decided to launch a donut and coffee shop startup here in ATL with a guy who launched the local "King of Pops" popsicle business bankrolling it but giving him a lot of the creative control.

So like, if you're local try him out when it launches. I've already given my 2cents on the current logo ideas.

• Options
    I've worked with some rough jobs, I have never seen any kind of work related prank received well, especially any kind of joke with food

And that was before

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I just kind of generally hate pranks.

• Options
    3clips3 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, why?

Like, what makes a practical joke different from a spoken or written one for you?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    because they cause people distress, mostly, even if the good ones are just temporarily

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My problem with pranks is they're almost never punching up.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Getting vaccine on Friday

• Options
    Distress feels a bit strong for the surprise of finding vegetables instead of a doughnut

Like, that's a situation I've encountered countless times just minus the doughnuts, where it was an empty box that had been left on the counter after the last person grabbed one

This is a step up, because it would make me laugh, even if I were still disappointed

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    3clips3 wrote: »

Out of curiosity, why?

Like, what makes a practical joke different from a spoken or written one for you?

Because they are, by definition, at the expense of the person being pranked.

Even if it's as innocent as your expectations being subverted harmlessly, the person playing the prank still gets to laugh at you.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The particular way in which I am on the spectrum (or, if this isn't a spectrum thing and I'm misattributing, just the way in which my brain is wired I suppose) means I can parse written/spoken sarcasm as a joke intended for me to be laughed with, not at, in a way that I just can't for pranks or practical jokes. They always feel like pointing-and-laughing to me even if it was never the intent of the person playing the prank.

If I had to dissect it I'd say that sarcasm/jokes can be presented in a way that comes from a place of love, while practical jokes are so tied up in the presentation of "ha ha gotcha" that that really gets lost for me and they just end up always feeling mean-spirited no matter how benign.

• Options
    I don't enjoy pranks or practical jokes in any circumstances, ever

Doesn't matter if the target is me or someone else

I'm a very anxious, very insecure person, even after therapy, and daily work and life are often a struggle

The idea that someone is playing some kind of joke on me is always in my head

I think this is probably why I don't enjoy too many comedies

• Options
    Huh, alright, interesting

Like, I disagree, clearly - I have no problem laughing at myself with most jokes (obviously we've all got sore subjects), and practical jokes are functionally no different for me

But that provides some alternate perspectives on it

This discussion has been closed.